The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England vs New Zealand, First Test at Lords

+28
LivinginItaly
dyrewolfe
hampo17
mystiroakey
kiakahaaotearoa
Shelsey93
Take it to the house
Carrotdude
Hibbz
Dorothy_Mantooth
msp83
Mike Selig
aucklandlaurie
Corporalhumblebucket
KP_fan
NickisBHAFC
JDizzle
VTR
Mad for Chelsea
dummy_half
Duty281
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
trebellbobaggins
alfie
Biltong
Good Golly I'm Olly
Liam
GSC
32 posters

Page 7 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

England vs New Zealand, First Test at Lords - Page 7 Empty England vs New Zealand, First Test at Lords

Post by GSC Thu 16 May 2013, 10:38 am

First topic message reminder :

England: Cook (c), Compton, Trott, Bell, Root, Bairstow, Prior, Broad, Swann, Anderson, Finn.
NZ: Fulton, Rutherford, Williamson, Taylor, Brownlie, McCullum (c), BJ Watling, Southee, Wagner, Boult, Martin

England win the toss and will bat first
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

England vs New Zealand, First Test at Lords - Page 7 Empty Re: England vs New Zealand, First Test at Lords

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 18 May 2013, 7:47 pm

Not really enough shown by Bairstow in his tests so far, need to get Taylor in there.

If Bopara plays I might cry
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

England vs New Zealand, First Test at Lords - Page 7 Empty Re: England vs New Zealand, First Test at Lords

Post by msp83 Sat 18 May 2013, 7:53 pm

Are England seriously under a Bopara threat for the next match? Bell only has a fever, shouldn't keep him out for all that long? For me, James Taylor should be ahead of Ravi in the pecking order.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 18 May 2013, 7:59 pm

msp83 wrote:Are England seriously under a Bopara threat for the next match? Bell only has a fever, shouldn't keep him out for all that long? For me, James Taylor should be ahead of Ravi in the pecking order.

The fact he's in the squad at all worries me.

Surely his time has passed. He failed miserably
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 18 May 2013, 8:03 pm

Certainly a matter of worry!. I hope Ian B will be fit and firing for the next game!.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sat 18 May 2013, 8:17 pm

Saw higlights again of a ferenetic days play marked by medicore batting and bowling friendly conditions:

--NZ could have gotten even less had England not bowled as many shorter stuff that they did.
While Finn is an excellent "hit the deck hard" type bowler....bowler for pitches that bounce such as in Aus and SA...or the flatter wkts of subcontinet...where is 90+ speed makes a difrence...on such a pitch as this one at Lords...England might be served better with a kiss the top..pitch it up type " english seamer"

--Southee's flashing style of hitting on the rise throuhg the line is the way to go for the established batters....and England's superior batting were horribly inept against the pitched up bolwing.

Root looks so competent with his feet movement......his backfoot play and movement across the crease reminds me of Steve Waugh in shades....while Compton in contrast has looked leaden footed.

If I had the say...and if Bairstow and Compton continue to be leaden footed in this series.....I would put Root to open the batting........and put KP and Morgan in the middle order....that is when KP is back......and leave the other leaden footed Bairstow out.

--as I noted yesterday...copuple from Swann turned right across as did Williamson today.
NZ need to have some more depth to their batting somehow....either get Mccullum to keep wkts and add a batsman or drop Martin and bring in a seam bowling allrounder...letting Williamson do the little spin required on these pitches.

--Broad and Swann need to bat like Southee did......trying and get 20 runs each and Bell needs to bat throuhg.....and whatever Finn gets is a bonus.

275 lead would be game half in pocket........250 is the minimum I'd expect Eng to be up by......and even then they would be favorites given the spin that the pitch is taking

KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Sat 18 May 2013, 8:41 pm

Bopara won't play... Taylor definitely ahead, and Bell will almost certainly be fit in any case.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 18 May 2013, 10:32 pm

I would deffo think about moving root to no.2!

and and taylor for the last couple at the expence of brompton.

Now this may be unfair on him. But I cant see any x factor from him.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 18 May 2013, 10:34 pm

Compton definately needs a good next test to establish some faith back in him.

I still think he'll open in the Ashes, but at the moment I'm not confident in him at the moment
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sat 18 May 2013, 10:39 pm

It's a stuffing, well done NZ in the match now, Taylor in one day mode will stuff England I fear.

What a batting shambles.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 18 May 2013, 10:41 pm

I dont watch enough county to know the range brompton has shown before.

But I am a firm beliver in having one opener that can play all the shots but has a head game to be able to play to the game at hand.. Root seems to have this.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 19 May 2013, 11:04 am

Come on England, 70 more runs today is the minimum requirement. Oh shoot, Finn's gone.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Sun 19 May 2013, 11:05 am

England have been poor with these collapses but what a match this is! Very rare to get a Test match that is so close throughout. Win or lose we should savour it (would prefer the win though!)

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Sun 19 May 2013, 11:21 am

Very good bowling from NZ. Bell gone. Another stupid batting collapse from England.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 19 May 2013, 11:26 am

Swing the chuffing bat now! This test may be all over today.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Sun 19 May 2013, 11:28 am

No surprise to see the jellyfish out early. Time to get rid of Bell I think. Bairstow has not been very good but would rather see Bell discarded when KP returns.

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 19 May 2013, 11:30 am

By taking out Steven Finn and Ian Bell today, Tim Southee has found himself a place on the Lord's board. Broad swinging his bat and so far it has been effective. He's on 22, and England 208-8

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 19 May 2013, 11:39 am

I thought overnight NZ were just ahead on points , given the way England's tail folded first time round. But the much maligned Broad has ensured NZ will need the highest score of the match in the fourth innings , and the ball continues to swing...

Pretty even still I reckon.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sun 19 May 2013, 11:49 am

Didn't expect Bell to hang around to be honest.

Thought Swann would crack a quick 30-40.

Broad going nicely, but Anderson has gone for a duck and England are all out for 213...a lead of 238.

Nowhere near as much as I'd have liked. Reckon NZ are favourites for the win. They've bowled well to restrict England's lead.

Last edited by dyrewolfe on Sun 19 May 2013, 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Sun 19 May 2013, 11:50 am

NZ need 239 to win.

Its going to be a nail biting finish. But i recon either side can easily win. One thing is for sure, someone is going to win this 1st test match.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 19 May 2013, 11:52 am

238 is a steep target given the conditions and bowlers they face. If they bowl well, they should close this out.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 19 May 2013, 11:54 am

well that batting line up are a bit of a joke at the moment. Collapse after collapse.

The coaches need some serious rethinks.

NZ have got this easily with their line up and the proper hitters in their team that we lack.

the ashes are going to be a mess I fear.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 19 May 2013, 11:55 am

Dump Bairstow and give Taylor a go in the 2nd test I feel. Solidify the middle order.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 19 May 2013, 11:55 am

not a bad call GSC. Bairstow is a bit poor at the moment.

What about Compton? good enough?

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 19 May 2013, 11:56 am

Alternatives?

Think we have to stick there and hope he rises to the occasions.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 19 May 2013, 11:58 am

Poor today from England. Still 239 won't be easy ...NZ need a decent start which will require skillful batting against Anderson : if they get through the early overs unscathed they'll be favourites.

If England can get a couple of early wickets I fancy them to win , though Taylor and McCullum will still be a threat. Swann could have a big part to play.

And can we ease up on the rubbishing of Bell ? The man has been sick for two days and batting in a Test match is not an easy job for a fully fit player...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 19 May 2013, 11:58 am

Yeah, considering Bell was in bed with Flu most of yesterday and was a only bat if required situation, I'll forgive him 1 bad test.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 19 May 2013, 11:59 am

I don't think a chase of 239 will be easy for New Zealand. They have to make the highest score of the match. The ball is turning, and there is some swing available as well. If Swann and Anderson manage to be at their best, it will be very difficult for New Zealand. But then, if they manage one big partnership up front, then there will be that much confidence, and Cook won't be able to maintain attacking fields all the time. So for the 2nd consecutive game, NZ, the number 8 side, has a good chance to win against one of the big boys. 50-50 it is at the moment in my view.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 19 May 2013, 12:00 pm

I agree with Alfie that it's pretty even with England possibly narrowly ahead - making the highest score of the match in the 4th innings is always very difficult. But what a fascinating game! Proves once again that you don't need a lot of runs for excitement.

Massive credit to New Zealand whatever unfolds from now. They are not the most naturally brilliant side but are probably the best role model for many 606v2 players and coaches.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 19 May 2013, 12:01 pm

While we talk about the collapse of the England batting lineup and the poor efforts of Ian Bell and the likes, we should give a great deal of credit to Tim Southee. He has really turned this match around with an inspired spell. He picked up 6 wickets in the 2nd innings, and ends up with 10 for the match.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 19 May 2013, 12:02 pm

Aye, Southee delivering on that promise he showed a few years back. Really dragged NZ back into this test. That 22 from Broad might be more than handy though.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 19 May 2013, 12:02 pm

true that. He has been the picked of their bowlers. maybe of all the bowlers.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 19 May 2013, 12:03 pm

Bairstow won't be pleased with his game , but apart from Root and Trott who would be ? I think he will get the second match to try and stake his claim , though he is still favourite to make way for a hopefully fit KP.

Compton has done no worse than the other openers in this match...still yet to be proven , but will surely hold his job for now : the Ashes series will decide his future.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sun 19 May 2013, 12:05 pm

Far from over but a great comeback from NZ to get back into the game after England were slipping away from them.

The NZ openers must try to negotiate the new ball and score at the same time to put pressure on England who don't have many runs to play with. Have a feeling this could go down to the wire.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 19 May 2013, 12:05 pm

Broad strikes, Fulton plays at a ball that he didn't have to, and edges behind for Prior to take a good catch.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sun 19 May 2013, 12:09 pm

Perfect start for England, Fulton gone for 1, bowled Broad, caught Prior. Nice one Stewie!
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 19 May 2013, 12:09 pm

Yes well bowled Southee indeed! He looked good from day one although he didn't get early rewards....earned his ten.

Great start for Broad and England ! clap

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 19 May 2013, 12:09 pm

Perfect time for enghland to end there innings. We can get a result today so tommorows washout wont matter!

NZ with a tough challenge- but what ,akes it exiting is they have a shot at holding on!

If i was kiwi i would say just play one day style.

Protecting hasnt not been effective on this pitch

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sun 19 May 2013, 12:16 pm

My worry is that if the sun gets out and the pitch becomes more batting friendly, NZ could rattle along to their target and England's bowlers could suddenly look a bit toothless.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 19 May 2013, 12:19 pm

dyrewolfe wrote:My worry is that if the sun gets out and the pitch becomes more batting friendly, NZ could rattle along to their target and England's bowlers could suddenly look a bit toothless.

If it stops swinging, and the sun does come out as you say, get Swann into the attack.

There is rough there for him to work with
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 19 May 2013, 12:23 pm

dyrewolfe wrote:My worry is that if the sun gets out and the pitch becomes more batting friendly, NZ could rattle along to their target and England's bowlers could suddenly look a bit toothless.

True dyrewolfe - batting looked a bit easier when Trott and Root were playing in sunshine for a while yesterday. Not sure this pitch will become too friendly though ...will be spin anyway.

Must be unusual for a cricket fan in England :[/i]Not [i] wanting the sun to appear...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 19 May 2013, 12:23 pm

The 22 today morning seems to have done Broad some good, he has cleaned up Rutherford. NZ 16-2.

Last edited by msp83 on Sun 19 May 2013, 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 19 May 2013, 12:24 pm

What a ball by Broad! Come on England!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 19 May 2013, 12:27 pm

Taylor gone now, NZ are falling apart all so quickly!. Broad again, with a massive wicket.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 19 May 2013, 12:27 pm

Broad strikes again ! Is this a good time to collect some posts from the last three days and make a few snide references to knee jerk comments ? Very Happy

And again ! Three now clap

Reckon Son of Chris is safe for a few games. Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 19 May 2013, 12:28 pm

Fulton played bad shots in both innings, Rutherford got couple of corkers.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 19 May 2013, 12:29 pm

He's big, he's bad, he's better than his dad, Stuart Broad! Stuart Broad! Massive wicket for England, Taylor gone. 16/3, England in the ascendancy, Broad right back in form.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 19 May 2013, 12:30 pm

Broad seems to be in the mood here. Looks like the makings of one of those unplayable spells. NZ 20-3.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 19 May 2013, 12:34 pm

Not looking easy for batting at the moment....How England would love to get McCullum in - and hopefully out - before lunch ! While he is still in reserve NZ still have a chance.
Looking good for England right now though.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sun 19 May 2013, 12:35 pm

Okay...looks like England aren't going to give the weather chance to affect the pitch.

Broad's on fire at the moment! Keep it up lad and get your five-for. clap
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 19 May 2013, 12:41 pm

Every ball bowled by Broad is laced with menace, so difficult out there for the Kiwis.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next