The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Matt O'Connor new Leinster Coach

+18
GunsGerms
Gibson
nathan
pete (buachaill on eirne)
Golden
formerly known as Sam
profitius
Pm76
Feckless Rogue
LondonTiger
Sin é
MrsP
SecretFly
LeinsterFan4life
Portnoy's Complaint
mickyt
MDB
Artful_Dodger
22 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Matt O'Connor new Leinster Coach - Page 2 Empty Matt O'Connor new Leinster Coach

Post by Artful_Dodger Mon May 06, 2013 11:57 am

First topic message reminder :

What do Leinster fans think?

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/news/9784.php#.UYeMcrXT_To

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Matt O'Connor new Leinster Coach - Page 2 Empty Re: Matt O'Connor new Leinster Coach

Post by nathan Mon May 06, 2013 10:06 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:I don't think that its an attack coach's job to bring through academy players though..

the job of an attack coach at one club might not be the same as the attack coach at another club. Job title may be the same, but the job description may differ.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Matt O'Connor new Leinster Coach - Page 2 Empty Re: Matt O'Connor new Leinster Coach

Post by Gibson Mon May 06, 2013 10:53 pm

If BOD and Leo had major input in the selection, who am I to argue with the 2 best captains in the NH?

We'll be grand. O Connor will be inducted into the Leinster Way. If he doesn't fit... he's dust. We will find out after his 1st season.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Tue May 07, 2013 12:27 am

Well I'll be keeping my mouth shut on him for the first season. I posted on old 606 about my concerns over the punt on Joe Schmidt who's "never even been a head coach before".
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Tue May 07, 2013 12:42 am

Like Schmidt for Ireland, he does not have to have a blinding 1st season. He does not even have to challenge for anything. He just needs to show us he is the man to stabilise and help us in a slow transition first. Then, in his 2nd season, he needs to show his 1st years work is paying long-term dividends. That's all I want. Quick, copycat fixes will never work. Check Ulster and Munster.

We are Leinster.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Tue May 07, 2013 9:46 am

I really could not turn this job down

Leicester Mercury http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/really-turn-job/story-18913301-detail/story.html#axzz2SauUAthV

Good luck to all parties.

Where's Aaron?

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed May 08, 2013 1:09 pm

Sin é wrote:Didn't I read somewhere he was interviewed by Heaslip, BOD & Leo. Blame them if it all goes wrong.

The players may have had some input but the way your post reads suggests they were the only people to interview him. I doubt that was the case. Though, as in the past player input in these processes can be a good thing. No doubt the Munster lads, ROG, POC etc. get involved in such decisions at some level too.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed May 08, 2013 2:12 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
Sin é wrote:Didn't I read somewhere he was interviewed by Heaslip, BOD & Leo. Blame them if it all goes wrong.

The players may have had some input but the way your post reads suggests they were the only people to interview him. I doubt that was the case. Though, as in the past player input in these processes can be a good thing. No doubt the Munster lads, ROG, POC etc. get involved in such decisions at some level too.

Who else interviewed him? I haven't seen any other names mentioned.

ROG & POC met Penney (& Umaga at least). They did not interview them. There was a Board that comprised of John O'Sullivan, Garret Fitz, Tony McGahan & Shaun Payne + someone from the Pro Game Committee from IRFU who happens to be from Munster.

A lot of people thought that ROG & POC meeting Penney would compromise him (and were the reason he kept selecting him). BOD & Leo have a similar age profile as ROG & POC - hope O'Connor isn't compromised into picking them.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed May 08, 2013 2:35 pm

People get the wrong idea about an incoming coach though.

It seems to be that the coach is the new Teacher and the class (players) had better knuckle down to his ways because he'll be wanting results, and hopefully then a promotion to a bigger job a few years down the line.

It isn't like that though. The players are the constant. The players want the results and they're demanding a coach in who won't get in the way of that, a coach who might help Them get what They want. They want the results. And he better knuckle down and help them get them or he's gone.

Rightly or wrongly, there seems to be a hefty slice of that operating at Leinster. Can't see that the same level of player personal involvement in coaching personel isn't also operating in Munster. These guys don't need a head coach coming in telling them what they should want.... they're telling him.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu May 09, 2013 8:06 am

Artful_Dodger wrote:
LeinsterFan4life wrote:No more signings for Leinster if BOD stays... I'm really worried that we can't afford anyone even with some of the highest attendences in Europe and winning the last 2 HC's

If we can't afford players now, how will we ever afford them? And we could do with another back 3 player.

How can you not afford more players when your wage bill next season will be significantly less than this season with Nacewa and Sexton leaving. As well as others like Conway....doesn't add up.
Totally agreed - LF4L, are you serious? I've just assumed that you'll sign someone like Poitrenaud or Gareth Anscombe in the off-season.

Aren't your regular home game gate receipts quite substantial? Your Canterbury clothing is nice too and I presume sells well in Dublin which is the biggest tourist destination in the country. How the feic can you be broke?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu May 09, 2013 11:17 am

We're not broke lads, but Sexton was on a central contract i.e. we didn't pay him, so we're not gaining anything on the wage bill there.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu May 09, 2013 11:24 am

SecretFly wrote:People get the wrong idea about an incoming coach though.

It seems to be that the coach is the new Teacher and the class (players) had better knuckle down to his ways because he'll be wanting results, and hopefully then a promotion to a bigger job a few years down the line.

It isn't like that though. The players are the constant. The players want the results and they're demanding a coach in who won't get in the way of that, a coach who might help Them get what They want. They want the results. And he better knuckle down and help them get them or he's gone.

Rightly or wrongly, there seems to be a hefty slice of that operating at Leinster. Can't see that the same level of player personal involvement in coaching personel isn't also operating in Munster. These guys don't need a head coach coming in telling them what they should want.... they're telling him.

Ah, but you see when ROG & POC met Penney it was wrong because they were going to pick the coach who would be obliged to select them and so would end up starting ROG ahead of Keatley & D Ryan ahead of POC Wink

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Thu May 09, 2013 11:31 am

Are there any plans to move out of the Showground?

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu May 09, 2013 11:39 am

greytiger wrote:Are there any plans to move out of the Showground?

No. Why would you want another stadium when you can have one with a hedge around the pitch?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu May 09, 2013 11:49 am

There's talk of redeveloping it to a 23k seater. Won't cost Leinster though, they're just tenants.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Thu May 09, 2013 11:53 am

GunsGerms wrote:

No. Why would you want another stadium when you can have one with a hedge around the pitch?

Well it does look quaint I suppose GG. Is it haunted by the ghost of Captain Eamonn O'WWassisface* the donkey derby icon?
*I made him up in a flash of Irish stereotypical inspiration.

Seriously, crowds must be a little disappointing considering the continued success of the side.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu May 09, 2013 11:56 am

greytiger wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:

Well it does look quaint I suppose GG. Is it haunted by the ghost of Captain Eamonn O'WWassisface* the donkey derby icon?
*I made him up in a flash of Irish stereotypical inspiration.

Seriously, crowds must be a little disappointing considering the continued success of the side.

Not really because they usually take any bigger attendance match a mile down the road to Landsdowne road so its a fairly good arrangement I think. It would be nice for Leinster to have a state of the art stadium but the country is bust and I dont think its really needed.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu May 09, 2013 12:17 pm

Highest average attendance in the league by far, higher than most in the Prem and Top14 too.

I wouldn't say the crowds are disappointing.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu May 09, 2013 12:24 pm

Mickado wrote:Highest average attendance in the league by far, higher than most in the Prem and Top14 too.

Leinster only benefit from ticket sales - they don't benefit from sale of food, drink etc. like the way Munster & Ulster would who own their own grounds.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu May 09, 2013 12:29 pm

Sin é wrote:
Mickado wrote:Highest average attendance in the league by far, higher than most in the Prem and Top14 too.

Leinster only benefit from ticket sales - they don't benefit from sale of food, drink etc. like the way Munster & Ulster would who own their own grounds.

Good thing we've the highest attendance in the league so...

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Thu May 09, 2013 12:33 pm

Sin é wrote:

Don't have to pay the mortgage either though. Double edged sword.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Thu May 09, 2013 12:39 pm

Surely Leinster lose lots of money in the long run by not owning their own ground though.

That said, of all the teams that don't own their own ground Leinster probably have the best setup.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Thu May 09, 2013 12:44 pm

Doesn't that reflect a low benchmark though Mick?
I agree that Leinster is dominant in the Rabo in terms of attendance, but surely as a metropolitan city, Dublin ought to aspire to match top clubs in other leagues.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Thu May 09, 2013 12:49 pm

Feckless Rogue wrote:Surely Leinster lose lots of money in the long run by not owning their own ground though.

That said, of all the teams that don't own their own ground Leinster probably have the best setup.

That is the opposite of the English experience of the Jeff. But that may be that the ground renters tie into over-sized footy stadia.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Thu May 09, 2013 12:49 pm

But we so match top clubs in other leagues Grey. Especially in the HC. We definately have one of the if not the highest in the HC.

Do you have the AP's average attendence?

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Thu May 09, 2013 12:53 pm

greytiger wrote:

Doesn't that reflect a low benchmark though Mick?
I agree that Leinster is dominant in the Rabo in terms of attendance, but surely as a metropolitan city, Dublin ought to aspire to match top clubs in other leagues.

You know where this is going lads. Don't you?

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu May 09, 2013 1:15 pm

Tiger is probably just chalking his cue, cueing up ready to slip the work ladyboy in first chance he gets. Is that what you mean?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu May 09, 2013 1:28 pm

About to talk about the Tigers attendances more like it.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu May 09, 2013 1:31 pm

Mickado wrote:About to talk about the Tigers attendances more like it.

That too.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Thu May 09, 2013 1:33 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:But we so match top clubs in other leagues Grey. Especially in the HC. We definately have one of the if not the highest in the HC.

Do you have the AP's average attendence?

Hmm. There are two ways of dealing with this query

PRL has a page http://www.premiershiprugby.com/stats/attendance.php which defies my immediate analysis as I don't know how the numbers are accumulated.

A rough and ready but notoriously unreliable but nonetheless indicative stat can be found at http://www.statbunker.com/rugby/btb/index.php?PL=competition&CompID=407&statType=home_Att
Jeff 12,478
T14 13,795
Rabo 7,720

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu May 09, 2013 1:36 pm

What is Leicesters average attendance Portnoy?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Thu May 09, 2013 1:39 pm

Don't say I didn't warn you... Only a matter of time before the populations of Dublin and Leicester have the "mickey measuring stick" waved over them.

Be sure and have your "4th biggest ball game behind soccer Gah and Hurling" shield at the ready. Smile

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Thu May 09, 2013 1:46 pm

GunsGerms wrote:What is Leicesters average attendance Portnoy?

Dunno offhand. More than 19k I'd guess.
Seeing as you[ ask.

And is not a roadside bomb.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Thu May 09, 2013 1:48 pm

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:

Don't say I didn't warn you... Only a matter of time before the populations of Dublin and Leicester have the "mickey measuring stick" waved over them.

Be sure and have your "4th biggest ball game behind soccer Gah and Hurling" shield at the ready. Smile

Laugh
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu May 09, 2013 1:54 pm

greytiger wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:What is Leicesters average attendance Portnoy?

Dunno offhand. More than 19k I'd guess.
Seeing as you[ ask.

And is not a roadside bomb.

Just to confirm - the average home attendance in the AP this season for Leicester was 21,495 - just under 90% ground capacity. not brilliant, but not too shabby either.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu May 09, 2013 2:41 pm

A large proportion of the Tigers games (virtually all bar the LV and a couple of league games) I think that knocks our attendance a touch. Certainly games that aren't televised are normally sell outs (LV aside). In the week of Louis Deacon's testimonial (Tigers were away in the league) the testimonial game was still the biggest attendance in English rugby that weekend.

Tigers have comfortably the biggest support in England with other well attended clubs being 15k ish. Then again we have the biggest stadium as well.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu May 09, 2013 2:55 pm

Leinster's average gate this year has been 19,791. Which isnt bad at all given that the RDS capacity is about 18-19k I think.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu May 09, 2013 3:19 pm

GunsGerms wrote:Leinster's average gate this year has been 19,791. Which isnt bad at all given that the RDS capacity is about 18-19k I think.

I assume that includes at least one match at the Aviva?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu May 09, 2013 3:26 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Tigers have comfortably the biggest support in England with other well attended clubs being 15k ish. Then again we have the biggest stadium as well.

Tigers total attendance across 11 matches was 236,444.

Quins had the second most with 219,631 and Sarries third with 190,873. Of course Quins includes a Twickenham sellout, while Sarries included th eondon double header and a Wembley fixture.

In terms of % of Capacity sold - with 5/5 sellouts at Allianz, Sarries have 100%
Saints and Bath sold 94% of tickets at FG and Rec, Quins 93% at Stoop.

Tigers lead the way in terms of averages - but as you said we have the biggest stadium and a long run of success. Bath, Saints and Quins could all do with expanding their capacities.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Thu May 09, 2013 8:31 pm

GunsGerms wrote:

Here's a quote from from Mick Dawson “The players are very much part of what we do. There’s no point in bringing in someone, and after a couple of months you find that the players think he’s not the right man for the job,” he told RTÉ 2FM’s Game On.

“They don’t have a veto or the ultimate say in the matter, but we’d be very conscious of what they want. The senior players seem to suggest he is the right man for the job.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rugby/oconnor-capture-sends-right-message-to-leinster-fans-230584.html

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Thu May 09, 2013 10:49 pm

GunsGerms wrote:Leinster's average gate this year has been 19,791. Which isnt bad at all given that the RDS capacity is about 18-19k I think.

The Munster effect! thumbsup
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu May 09, 2013 11:19 pm

SecretFly wrote:People get the wrong idea about an incoming coach though.

No they are not. A lot are leaving and retiring and that will continue to happen. What is a constant, is the Leinster Way.

Mick Dawson has taken us to where are right now. If the IRFU had any sense or foresight, as he has in spades, he'd be running Irish Rugby.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2