The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ulster v Cardiff

+13
rodders
marty2086
LeinsterFan4life
wales606
Cardiff Dave
neilthom7
Notch
XR
Kingshu
Jenifer McLadyboy
Don Alfonso
theshanker
clivemcl
17 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Ulster v Cardiff Empty Ulster v Cardiff

Post by clivemcl Wed 1 May 2013 - 11:12

Diack and Henry set to get their 100th caps.

Good to see Doyle back, he looked promising enough at the beginning of the season.

Forwards (16)? Johann Muller, Callum Black, John Afoa, Robbie Diack, Iain Henderson, Declan Fitzpatrick, Dan Tuohy, Ricky Lutton, Rory Best, Mike McComish, Lewis Stevenson, Chris Henry, Nick Williams, Tom Court, Sean Doyle, Rob Herring;

Backs (11)? Michael Allen, Ruan Pienaar, Paddy Jackson, Paul Marshall, Darren Cave, Andrew Trimble, Tommy Bowe, Jared Payne, Peter Nelson, Craig Gilroy, Stuart Olding.

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Ulster v Cardiff Empty Re: Ulster v Cardiff

Post by theshanker Wed 1 May 2013 - 11:15

7.45 kick off so an extra half an hour or so in the bar this week!! hope Rory has a good one

theshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Wed 1 May 2013 - 11:16

I'd love to see Doyle getting back onto the pitch.

According to the Front Row Union, the starting fifteen is likely to be:

Ulster (Probable): Jared Payne, Andrew Trimble, Darren Cave, Stuart Olding, Tommy Bowe, Ruan Pienaar, Paul Marshall, Callum Black, Rory Best, John Afoa, Johann Muller, Dan Tuohy, Iain Henderson, Chris Henry, Robbie Diack.
Replacements: TBD

Why Pienaar at ten? Interesting back row.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Wed 1 May 2013 - 11:25

Will Cardiff play their Lions? They focking better! Bet Munster won't though, which is fair enough really. Dead rubber etc.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Wed 1 May 2013 - 11:57

I think Cardiff have pretty much given up on this season, best they can go it climb up to 8th, worst stay in 9th. I'd say they are just looking at next year, and wouldn't be surprised if they used this to give experience to younger players in preparation or next year.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Wed 1 May 2013 - 12:20

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:Will Cardiff play their Lions? They focking better! Bet Munster won't though, which is fair enough really. Dead rubber etc.

I'd be massively surprised if we do.

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Wed 1 May 2013 - 13:53

gcBlues wrote:
Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:Will Cardiff play their Lions? They focking better! Bet Munster won't though, which is fair enough really. Dead rubber etc.

This is where HC qualification from the Rabo would help. If they needed to win to get into the HC they would focking play them. Bad show if they don't. Ulster can still finish 1st, 2nd or 3rd. The fact that they would probably win with or without Cardiff's Lions matters not. Disrespect to the League IMHO.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 1 May 2013 - 14:59

I also hope to see Cardiff bring their best side. Given that the try bonus point doesn't matter to us in terms of final standings a tough test would help us prepare for the playoffs.

To be fair, HC qualification would only matter if it were the Top 8- which is exactly what I believe it should be, but sadly we're probably looking at a Top 6.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Wed 1 May 2013 - 15:40

We're not looking at anything at all yet. Very little between 6 6 6 + cup winners and 6 6 8. In fact fitting in the Amlin winners ahead of the bottom qualifier in the respective league is really it.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 1 May 2013 - 17:01

If we're going down to 20 teams the fairest solution would be 5 5 8 + Cup Winners but we all know there's no chance.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Wed 1 May 2013 - 19:48

Anyone else see Rory Best's interview on newsline tonight? Just shows why he is so important for us the way he handled the questions about the Lions.

neilthom7

http://www.twitter.com/thomthom1988

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 1 May 2013 - 20:53

I'm watching it now- I'm absolutely gutted for him. Having worked so hard for the last 4 years towards this moment, only to have the rug swept out from under his feet right at the last. Just devastated for him.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Wed 1 May 2013 - 21:22

Notch wrote:If we're going down to 20 teams the fairest solution would be 5 5 8 + Cup Winners but we all know there's no chance.

No. 6 6 8 would actually make everyone happy. It does away with "the cup winner brings in another team from their country" nonsense.

Amlin winner is French or English, they replace the 6th side in their league. If they are already in the top 6 then no problem.

Amlin winner is Irish/Welsh/Scottish/Italian they replace the 8th place team in the Rabo. (While still retaining 1 team from each country) If they are already top 8 then no problem.

HC winner has never failed to be top 6 in any league AFAIK so no problem there.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Wed 1 May 2013 - 21:24

Notch wrote:I'm watching it now- I'm absolutely gutted for him. Having worked so hard for the last 4 years towards this moment, only to have the rug swept out from under his feet right at the last. Just devastated for him.
Especially to that to$$er Hartley who he played off the park twice.

Last edited by Jenifer McLadyboy on Wed 1 May 2013 - 21:25; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Don't censor my to$$er Naughty Naughty boy indeed. Harumph)

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 1 May 2013 - 21:40

Hartley was suspended for the second game- Best so comprehensively outplayed him he lost his head and tried to knock him out.

I still disagree with the decision. An off-form Rory Best is in the top three hookers in these lands and an on-form Rory Best is a test starter- I think he's just missed out due to Graham Rowntree.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Wed 1 May 2013 - 21:50

Yeah Notch I can't believe he didn't make it and am devastated for him but we know he will comeback even stronger again, Keith Wood has come out in his favour today too and to be honest Hartley would be nowhere near my squad Ford and Best would be well ahead of him in my opinion.

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Wed 1 May 2013 - 21:51

Still I mean the one thing is we are likely to get a fully focused and intense Rory Best for the end of this season and thats a scary thought

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 1 May 2013 - 21:54

I hope so, he has to realise he's one injury away from a Lions Tour. Guys like Martin Corry and Tom Croft are test lions who were left out of the initial touring party.

Its pretty much inevitable that some guys are going to be joining the tour.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Wed 1 May 2013 - 22:20

Yeah got to remain positive, anyways as for Cardiff we need a good test before the semi so I hope the bring a strong side over my team would probably be
Court
Best
Afoa
Muller
Tuohy
Henderson
Henry
Williams
Pienaar
Jackson
Trimble
Olding
Cave
Bowe
Payne

Subs
Black
Herring
Fitzpatrick
Stevenson
Diack
Marshall
Gilroy
Allen

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 1 May 2013 - 22:21

Predicting Callum Black and Robbie Diack in for Tom Court and Nick Williams. It will be a strong line-up.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Thu 2 May 2013 - 8:00

gcBlues wrote:

Me too, in fact i'll be surprised if any of them even travel to Ulster.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Thu 2 May 2013 - 8:05

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:
gcBlues wrote:

This is where HC qualification from the Rabo would help. If they needed to win to get into the HC they would focking play them. Bad show if they don't. Ulster can still finish 1st, 2nd or 3rd. The fact that they would probably win with or without Cardiff's Lions matters not. Disrespect to the League IMHO.

Yep.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 2 May 2013 - 9:09

Saw somewhere that Roberts mentioned the last Blues game as his last - so I don't think he will play (what a surprise, there is no blue moon after all)

I would like to see our Lions play, but you can't blame guys like Halfpenny for not wanting to risk it, and Warburton's training has been rather hampered this week.

Who knows.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Thu 2 May 2013 - 9:21

wales606 wrote:Saw somewhere that Roberts mentioned the last Blues game as his last - so I don't think he will play (what a surprise, there is no blue moon after all)

I would like to see our Lions play, but you can't blame guys like Halfpenny for not wanting to risk it, and Warburton's training has been rather hampered this week.

Who knows.

In a mean nothing game and with one foot on the plane, they'd just be going through the motions though surely? I wouldn't want to see that.
Best to field players, young or old, who have yet to secure contracts, want to impress or simply require game time.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 2 May 2013 - 9:28

Cardiff Dave wrote:
wales606 wrote:Saw somewhere that Roberts mentioned the last Blues game as his last - so I don't think he will play (what a surprise, there is no blue moon after all)

Who knows.

In a mean nothing game and with one foot on the plane, they'd just be going through the motions though surely? I wouldn't want to see that.
Best to field players, young or old, who have yet to secure contracts, want to impress or simply require game time.

Since Owen Williams is being taken to Japan as a 13, I hope he plays there this week.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 2 May 2013 - 9:48

Owen Williams wont play, he has been called up for the 7s

Seems bizarre since he would have got gametime at the Blues. Doh
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Thu 2 May 2013 - 10:05

wales606 wrote:Owen Williams wont play, he has been called up for the 7s

Seems bizarre since he would have got gametime at the Blues. Doh

D'oh indeed.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 2 May 2013 - 11:22

Cardiff side;

15 Dan Fish 14 Alex Cuthbert 13 Gavin Evans (c) 12 Dafydd Hewitt 11 Harry Robinson 10 Rhys Patchell 9 Lewis Jones

1 Taufa'ao Filise 2 Kristian Dacey 3 Scott Andrews 4 Bradley Davies 5 Lou Reed 6 Luke Hamilton 7 Josh Navidi 8 Michael Paterson

16 Marc Breeze 17 Thomas Davies 18 Campese Ma'afu 19 Teofilo Paulo 20 Macauley Cook 21 Liam Davies 22 Ceri Sweeney 23 Tom James

No Roberts, Warburton or Halfpenny then. Disappoint. Was hoping to see Chris Henry dominate the Lion King! Whistle
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 2 May 2013 - 11:25

But one big plus; we welcome back the legend that is Filo Paulo to Ravenhill. Cardiff have got themselves one hell of a player OK

He was with Ulster but he couldn't get a UK work permit so he had to go back to NZ to play his rugby. Otherwise he would have gotten a lot more gametime and probably would have stayed on with us.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Thu 2 May 2013 - 11:35

That's OUR Filo Paulo?

Where's the 'fro?

Such a shame we couldn't keep a hold of him.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Thu 2 May 2013 - 12:17

Ulster XV and replacements to face Cardiff Blues, RaboDirect PRO12, Ravenhill, Friday 3rd May 2013 (kick off 19.45);

(15-9) J Payne, A Trimble, D Cave, S Olding, T Bowe, R Pienaar, P Marshall; (1-8) C Black, R Best, J Afoa, J Muller, I Henderson, R Diack, C Henry, N Williams; Replacements (16-23): N Brady, T Court, D Fitzpatrick, D Tuohy, S Doyle, P Jackson, M Allen, P Nelson.

That's a good team. I like Henderson in the 'row and so we can play Diack at six.

Last ever Ulster game for Nige? Between him and Filo there'll be a bit of nostalgia on Friday.

Interesting no Jackson - Olding to cover 10? Hope PJ's not injured.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 2 May 2013 - 12:20

He's on the bench there Don. The bigger omission is Craig Gilroy.

Bit of an odd call at 10 in my book- maybe expect Pienaar and Jackson to get a half each?
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Thu 2 May 2013 - 12:24

Ha ha - I was so eager to post it first, I didn't read it properly! Tool.

Dunno what the logic is as regards Pienaar, unless there's some truth to these mutterings about Kiss wanting to see Marshall before the US tour.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 2 May 2013 - 12:28

Well I'd expect Marshall to get the full 80 and Jackson to replace Pienaar at some point. Also, great chance to pay tribute to Nigel Brady. One of the great unsung heroes of Ulster Rugby over the years.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Thu 2 May 2013 - 12:30

Out of interest, what's the most points any team has finished the season with? Did Munster get a ridiculous number the year they won?

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Thu 2 May 2013 - 12:31

Is there a chance that Anscombe sees the strongest finish to the season being with Jackson on the bench? Surely nobody from the irish setup can 'make' us start Marshall.

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 2 May 2013 - 12:33

Munster got more than we can get two years ago and we can only match Leinsters points total at best from last year. The last two years before this have had the most games (22) so obviously the highest points totals on record.

Munster got 83 in 2011, Leinster got 81 in 2012, and we are going to get between 76 and 81. 79 is whats needed to guarantee top spot for us.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Thu 2 May 2013 - 12:37

clivemcl wrote:Is there a chance that Anscombe sees the strongest finish to the season being with Jackson on the bench? Surely nobody from the irish setup can 'make' us start Marshall.

No, but they can request it. We started Paddy Wallace at ten against Connacht a couple of years ago at the request of Kidney.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 2 May 2013 - 12:39

clivemcl wrote:Is there a chance that Anscombe sees the strongest finish to the season being with Jackson on the bench?

Yeah it's possible- Pienaar has been quite poor at 9, getting caught out a lot at the base of the scrum and ruck, but is still essential from a goal kicking PoV.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Thu 2 May 2013 - 14:09

Notch wrote:
Munster got 83 in 2011, Leinster got 81 in 2012, and we are going to get between 76 and 81. 79 is whats needed to guarantee top spot for us.
Both only lost 3 games, Ulster have already lost 4. Munster won 19 no draws. Leinster had a draw with 18 wins.

Best Ulster can do is 17 wins and a draw. They will probably BP a Lionsless Cardiff and hit 81 points though.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 2 May 2013 - 14:44

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:
Notch wrote:
Both only lost 3 games, Ulster have already lost 4. Munster won 19 no draws. Leinster had a draw with 18 wins.

Best Ulster can do is 17 wins and a draw. They will probably BP a Lionsless Cardiff and hit 81 points though.

Yep, we were all set to really set a record and then mid-season wobble did for that. Ah well. No-one but us nerds (neeeeeeerds!) remembers these things anyway. The most important factor is whether or not we have a trophy in the cabinet at the end of May!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 2 May 2013 - 14:59

Really disappointing not to see three of the four Lions named for Cardiff, especially as O'Connell is playing for Munster.

Really wanted to see how they measured up! But they're not even turning up.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Thu 2 May 2013 - 15:12

Cardiff have nothing to play for, Why risk the lions in a game take would only decide if they finish 8th or 9th?
Alex Cuthbert to play as he needs gametime, after injury, the rest may as will protect the lions, and give some other players experience.

I don't know what hte prize money difference if for 8th or 9th, but doesn't appear to be enough to make Cardiff with to go for it.

Worst of all they don't even play Copeland so we can get a good look at him.

There has to be a bit of stigma about finishing below Connacht though?

(I know Connacht have improved, but even when Skoda became good cars there was still a bit of stigma about owning one for a number of years).

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Thu 2 May 2013 - 15:15

Notch wrote:Really disappointing not to see three of the four Lions named for Cardiff, especially as O'Connell is playing for Munster.

Really wanted to see how they measured up! But they're not even turning up.

We're rather used to it though mun, and strange as it seems, last season's final game of the season against the Scarlets featured Cuthbert, but not Warbs, Roberts or Halfpenny. Coincidence?
http://www.cardiffblues.com/rugby/5833.php

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Thu 2 May 2013 - 15:15

Copeland is injured Kingshu. He would have definartly played in this game as he has been one of the best players for Cardiff this year.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri 3 May 2013 - 11:56

neilthom7 wrote:Yeah Notch I can't believe he didn't make it and am devastated for him but we know he will comeback even stronger again, Keith Wood has come out in his favour today too and to be honest Hartley would be nowhere near my squad Ford and Best would be well ahead of him in my opinion.

Hartley being Hartley theres always a chance he'll get himself banned before the tour, Saints play Quins this weekend so could be one to get under his skin as Saints need a win to leap frog Quins

Didnt Best have better 6N stats than Hartley from his limited game time?

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 3 May 2013 - 12:01

Must be an issue between Best and Gatland.

Best seems to be behind Ford as well.

The fact that Gatland didn't contact best at all, but did with Robshaw show he isn't in high regard with the selectors.

I actually rate Hartley and think Youngs is the elephant in the room.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri 3 May 2013 - 12:04

rodders wrote:

The fact that Gatland didn't contact best at all, but did with Robshaw show he isn't in high regard with the selectors.

Really? That is ludicrous, saying he isn't on the top 50 list.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 3 May 2013 - 12:06

wales606 wrote:
rodders wrote:

Really? That is ludicrous, saying he isn't on the top 50 list.

It was Dan Touhy who broke the news to him.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Fri 3 May 2013 - 12:11

I thought it was Rowntree who spoke to robshaw, rather than gatland?

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next