The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If I was Scottish...

+13
tigertattie
Effervescing Elephant
madmaccas
TJ1
fa0019
funnyExiledScot
PJHolybloke
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Pat_Mustard
welshboii15
Shifty
RuggerRadge2611
Luckless Pedestrian
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

If I was Scottish... - Page 2 Empty If I was Scottish...

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 30 Apr 2013, 6:34 pm

First topic message reminder :

...well, I'd be miffed to say the least that some fine Scottish players had been overlooked for Lions selection; but what would really stick in the craw would be the BBC's coverage of the announcement.

On the way home on Radio 2, and just now on the 6 o'clock news, the Beeb made a big deal of the fact that England's captain had been left out of the squad; but they didn't mention that Scotland's captain had also been omitted. Why was that? Did they forget they were broadcasting north of the border? Didn't they think it mattered?

Clearly, it didn't occur to them that Kelly Brown's omission should be mentioned, even in passing. That's disgraceful, no?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

If I was Scottish... - Page 2 Empty Re: If I was Scottish...

Post by PJHolybloke Wed 01 May 2013, 10:18 pm

Griff wrote:
PJHolybloke wrote:
Luckless Pedestrian wrote:If it had been BBC England, PJ, then there'd be no problem. But there isn't a BBC England, which opens up another can of thistles and leeks.

Precisely the point Lucky, there is no BBC England, so therefore, anything Englandcentric the BBC broadcast on the traditional channels or national news will offend someone in either Wales or Scotland or Northern Ireland. The other UK nations have their own channels where they can broadcast nation specific news to their hearts content without fear of offence, England does not have that luxury and thus offence will be created by default as opposed to a premeditated process.

Just saying like. Very Happy

Not true! BBC Wales, BBC NI and BBC Scotland are just regional channels. Depending where you live you get different things beamed to your tv, or if you have sky then you can pick them all up: England has 16 regional channels! I just counted them. One for every part of England: BBC Oxford, BBC S East, BBC South, BBC E Mids, BBC N West, etc., etc. Not got a problem with this, but just thought I'd point out that England has it's own regional channels too. These channels will show something different when BBC 2 Wales, for example, is showing Scrum V. Maybe Inverdale has his own show at this time?!

Well it's either true or the Scottish accents on BBC Alba, for example, are so broad they sound like a different language. Headscratch

The regions in England are there for local news... OK, someone gets killed in Gravesend by a runaway tractor and it makes their local news channel, but in Gloucester, their local news focuses on the local incest and line-dancing festival, that's why there are regional channels, so the six-fingered knuckle-draggers can keep their "secrets".

If there was a regional channel for England, as there is for Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland, there would be a fair argument against Englandcentric news on the UK-broadcast BBC news programme, but where else would they be able to broadcast it?

Surely you're not suggesting they should bump the "local interest" angle? Whistle
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 02 May 2013, 7:55 am

PJHolybloke wrote:In Gloucester, their local news focuses on the local incest and line-dancing festival, that's why there are regional channels, so the six-fingered knuckle-draggers can keep their "secrets".

Get your facts right, PJ! It's a line-dancing and incest festival. The incest, although compulsory, is very much secondary to the dancing.

People go on about the incest but they never mention the line-dancing. The locals get very sore about that. Especially the day after all the incest.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 02 May 2013, 8:26 am

PJHolybloke wrote:
Griff wrote:
PJHolybloke wrote:
Luckless Pedestrian wrote:If it had been BBC England, PJ, then there'd be no problem. But there isn't a BBC England, which opens up another can of thistles and leeks.

Precisely the point Lucky, there is no BBC England, so therefore, anything Englandcentric the BBC broadcast on the traditional channels or national news will offend someone in either Wales or Scotland or Northern Ireland. The other UK nations have their own channels where they can broadcast nation specific news to their hearts content without fear of offence, England does not have that luxury and thus offence will be created by default as opposed to a premeditated process.

Just saying like. Very Happy

Not true! BBC Wales, BBC NI and BBC Scotland are just regional channels. Depending where you live you get different things beamed to your tv, or if you have sky then you can pick them all up: England has 16 regional channels! I just counted them. One for every part of England: BBC Oxford, BBC S East, BBC South, BBC E Mids, BBC N West, etc., etc. Not got a problem with this, but just thought I'd point out that England has it's own regional channels too. These channels will show something different when BBC 2 Wales, for example, is showing Scrum V. Maybe Inverdale has his own show at this time?!

Well it's either true or the Scottish accents on BBC Alba, for example, are so broad they sound like a different language. Headscratch

The regions in England are there for local news... OK, someone gets killed in Gravesend by a runaway tractor and it makes their local news channel, but in Gloucester, their local news focuses on the local incest and line-dancing festival, that's why there are regional channels, so the six-fingered knuckle-draggers can keep their "secrets".

If there was a regional channel for England, as there is for Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland, there would be a fair argument against Englandcentric news on the UK-broadcast BBC news programme, but where else would they be able to broadcast it?

Surely you're not suggesting they should bump the "local interest" angle? Whistle

PJ, BBC 1 and 2 Wales (and I'm guessing Scotland?) are not a separate channels as such. 95% of the programmes are the same as BB1 Oxford or BBC South West, etc. Have a look at the schedules if you have sky. Like you said, the only difference mainly is the regional news. There are then some local programme alternatives such as Scrum V and perhpas some classic rugby matches on a friday night before a 6N game. The rest of the time it's the same programmes as everyone else in the country! So, you do have regional channels in England, lots of them, and they do not differ to BBC Wales except for some of the news and region specific programming. Or do you think all of the programmes on BBC Wales are different to BBC Oxford?!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2