The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Controversial Film Views

+17
Trebs
Adam D
ChequeredJersey
Crimey
Mike Selig
Derbyblue
westisbest
dummy_half
TRUSSMAN66
Mind the windows Tino.
The Womble
Stella
88Chris05
Fists of Fury
Rowley
Galted
Shot 21 LCFC
21 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Controversial Film Views - Page 2 Empty Controversial Film Views

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Tue 30 Apr 2013, 3:13 pm

First topic message reminder :

Ok this is the thread to post your controversial film views. You know the ones that make nearly everyone look at you in shock and disbelief. Things such as:

"I never really liked this classic film"
"I actually preferred the sequel / remake over the original"
"I always liked that film even though everyone else seemed to hate it"

I will get the ball rolling: I actually think Deep Blue Sea is a better film than Jaws...

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Controversial Film Views - Page 2 Empty Re: Controversial Film Views

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 01 May 2013, 10:50 am

I'm being an as***ole.............I'm sorry!! Cool

Wouldn't mind Meg Ryan babysitting for me..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 01 May 2013, 10:56 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I'm being an as***ole.............I'm sorry!! Cool

You don't have to apologise to me, Beefcake.

We both knew I was right anyway.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 01 May 2013, 10:57 am

Shouldn't have killed Newt........and Biehn...............

Missed a trick there....Biehn wanted to be in it!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 01 May 2013, 11:00 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Shouldn't have killed Newt........and Biehn...............

Missed a trick there....Biehn wanted to be in it!!!

Hicks was a great character. The relationship he had with Hudson was brilliant.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 01 May 2013, 11:05 am

Not just that but after all they'd been through especially the girl surviving on that planet for as long as she did on her own against the monsters........

To go out with a wimper like that.............Wrong.......

Three set characters that the audience had an emotional interest in........Instead of just Ripley!! .........

Could have rebuilt the robot as well.......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Wed 01 May 2013, 1:01 pm

Aliens is brilliant and the best of them. Alien is also very good. Number 3 was average (although I hate how it ruined the perfect ending of Aliens) and number 4 is not even worth mentioning.

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 01 May 2013, 1:05 pm

"Scarface" is a little tedious and doesn't warrant a second viewing however somehow gets cult status as these stupid wannabe gangstas love shouting "Say hallo my my leetle frien'" and wearing t-shirts with Pacino on the front.

Same goes for "Apocalypse Now" which can only really be watched in one sitting if your tied to a chair and forced to endure it. The "redux" version is a rip-off.

Disney will ensure that the next set of Star Wars films concentrate solely on the storyline as envisaged by Lucas back when he wrote them and will avoid all cynical marketing of toys, games and assorted duvet covers in order to swell their coffers even further.

Any remake of "He-Man and the Masters of the Universe" will be rubbish in comparison to the Dolph Lundgren epic of yesteryear

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Wed 01 May 2013, 1:20 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
Same goes for "Apocalypse Now" which can only really be watched in one sitting if your tied to a chair and forced to endure it. The "redux" version is a rip-off.

Although I quite like Apocalypse Now it is massively overrated, it's nothing more than a few visually captivating scenes strung together as part of a glorified music video without any real plot. I get annoyed when it's added to lists of the greatest films ever, it's not even amongst the greatest Vietnam films ever - the fact it takes place in Vietnam is entirely irrelevant to the story. It is brilliant if you hate water buffalos though.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 01 May 2013, 1:22 pm

Galted wrote: the greatest Vietnam films ever.

That belongs to Platoon.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Wed 01 May 2013, 1:24 pm

To explain where I'm coming from on the Alien trilogy (I won't even mention the abomination that arrived afterwards), perhaps it would be more accurate to say that Alien 3 is my favourite. I think objectively I would say Alien was the superior film.

However Aliens for me was little more than "cowboys in space" - very entertaining and very well made, but not particularly ambitious in its scope; also, I found the Newt storyline a bit on the soppy side for what was ultimately quite a macho film.

Alien 3 had an interesting concept and some brilliant moments. It tried to move away from the spirit of the first two films and do something different. I don't necessarily feel in a film I have to root for any/all of the characters (if that was the case, then what do you make of something like Amen?), but in any case the fact that the good guys were actually quite bad guys made an interesting dilemma and added to the depth of the film. Yes, there are probably more "bad" bits in Alien 3 than Aliens, but it remains to me a more interesting film.

Anyway here's a controversial view: Drive wasn't nearly as good as it thought it was.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 01 May 2013, 1:32 pm

Anyway here's a controversial view: Drive wasn't nearly as good as it thought it was.
Not controversial at all, I'm a huge fan of James Sallis however, read the book, it's almost as if they're two different stories.

Some of the James Sallis crime novels are exceptional, whey they chose that one to make into a film, I don't really know.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 01 May 2013, 1:41 pm

Mike Selig wrote:To explain where I'm coming from on the Alien trilogy (I won't even mention the abomination that arrived afterwards), perhaps it would be more accurate to say that Alien 3 is my favourite. I think objectively I would say Alien was the superior film.

However Aliens for me was little more than "cowboys in space" - very entertaining and very well made, but not particularly ambitious in its scope; also, I found the Newt storyline a bit on the soppy side for what was ultimately quite a macho film.

Alien 3 had an interesting concept and some brilliant moments. It tried to move away from the spirit of the first two films and do something different. I don't necessarily feel in a film I have to root for any/all of the characters (if that was the case, then what do you make of something like Amen?), but in any case the fact that the good guys were actually quite bad guys made an interesting dilemma and added to the depth of the film. Yes, there are probably more "bad" bits in Alien 3 than Aliens, but it remains to me a more interesting film.

It was a great concept Alien 3 and to hear what the Director Fincher actually had in mind..It could have been a great movie.....

Ruined by the studio..why he disowned it.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Wed 01 May 2013, 1:52 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:

That belongs to Platoon.

Platoon built up well but lapsed into melodrama, esp the scene with Barnes & Elias. My choice would be Casualties of War.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 01 May 2013, 2:07 pm

Galted wrote:

That belongs to Platoon.

Platoon built up well but lapsed into melodrama, esp the scene with Barnes & Elias. My choice would be Casualties of War.

I really enjoyed the scene with Barnes and Elias. I liked the way Barnes sees him coming back, lowers his eyes back through his gun sight and then you see Elias' smile turn into dawning recognition of what is going to happen. Great stuff. I thought they both acted superbly throughout the film, certainly Tom Berenger's finest hour for me. The scenes back at their base in the smoking den (can't think of a better name for it!) are superb as well.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Wed 01 May 2013, 2:15 pm

I really enjoyed the scene with Barnes and Elias. I liked the way Barnes sees him coming back, lowers his eyes back through his gun sight and then you see Elias' smile turn into dawning recognition of what is going to happen. Great stuff. I thought they both acted superbly throughout the film, certainly Tom Berenger's finest hour for me. The scenes back at their base in the smoking den (can't think of a better name for it!) are superb as well.

Quite a few years since I last saw it, the scene I mentioned just didn't work for me. One scene that stuck with me was when Charlie Sheen's character is on guard at night and the silhouette eventually appears, I did brick it slightly even though I was half-expecting it. Reminds me a bit of the build up on the bridge in Stand By Me when Gordie keeps looking back & feeling the rails & then sees the smoke from the train over the trees.

The scene when they batter the villager with huge teeth upset me quite badly at the time.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 01 May 2013, 2:25 pm

I remember the silhouette scene well. It reminds me of a scene in We Were Soldiers when Mel Gibson and his team are laying down in rice paddy at night as they don't really know where the Vietnamese soldiers are. A flare comes over and it highlights that the Vietnamese are walking right in the middle of the rice paddy that the American's are in. Absolutely stunning scene in an otherwise disappointing film.

The scene in Platoon with the big toothed villager is hard to watch. I think the character (Bunny?) was a real nutcase. The scene when Barnes shoots the village elders wife in the head and the kid starts screaming is shocking. As is the r*pe scene that Charlie Sheen breaks up.

As for Stand By Me, I won't have anything bad said about that film. One of my all time best!

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Wed 01 May 2013, 2:35 pm

Smile Stand By Me is a classic isn't it.

I think I'm due another watch of Platoon & SBM, might have to have an 80s-themed bank holiday weekend.

Will try to Youtube the We Were Soldiers scene you mentioned.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 01 May 2013, 2:47 pm

Avatar isn't actually a bad film, it gets a lot of hate because of the amount of money it made rather than the actual film. As a film, it's a fairly good film, Sam Worthington is probably a poor lead man, but overall I thought the film was quite good. If it hadn't been so hyped up, and hadn't made so much money I think it would have been received much better. It gets an unnecessary amount of hate because of the "injustice" that it is the highest grossing movie of all time.

Heath Ledger's Joker would have been received even better had he not died, and his death meant people saw his praise as simply posthumous nonsense.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Wed 01 May 2013, 3:02 pm

Heath Ledger was amazing in that film. Alhtough I think some people were raving about it even before he died.

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed 01 May 2013, 3:08 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:Jeff, agree with you re: Star wars.

Me too. The originals were probably good at the time and in terms of what they introduced to cinema, but they are dated, average in every respect and every twist in the plot and subsequently become a predictable overused cliche (not the films' fault). The acting is subpar at best except for Ford's charisma. They are frankly tedious.

The prequels lose lots of points for Jar Jar and Christensen's acting but are otherwise better acted, more interesting, see more happen and are unfairly criticised in a lot of quarters
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed 01 May 2013, 3:09 pm

Licence to Kill is in the top 3 Bonds
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Wed 01 May 2013, 3:10 pm

Goldeneye is the greatest Bond film of all time.

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed 01 May 2013, 3:12 pm

Shot 21 LCFC wrote:Goldeneye is the greatest Bond film of all time.

Definitely top 5. Bean is the best Bond villain of all time but i don't think that one is controversial
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Wed 01 May 2013, 3:19 pm

That honour belongs to Octopussy.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Wed 01 May 2013, 3:41 pm

Galted wrote:

That honour belongs to Octopussy.

Now that is controversial. Although I quite like it, but it's generally considered to be below average no? But I like the clown and the flying daggers...

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed 01 May 2013, 3:47 pm

It has Roger Moore in it, therefore I will never be in favour of it as even an average Bond film, though it was quite fun watching it in the city in which it was filmed and partially set
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Wed 01 May 2013, 5:04 pm

Setting was great as were the knives & clowns. Plus the circular saw, Vijay Armitraj, island full of hot women, lethal octopus, fight on top of an aeroplane, tiger hunt, Faberge egg - I battle to distinguish between most Bond films but this one is a stand out. Plus,sorry to say, Roger Moore is my favourite Bond - admittedly I haven't seen Pierce Brosnan or Daniel Craig. And of course All Time High by Rita Coolidge - best Bond theme tune by miles.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed 01 May 2013, 5:08 pm

Galted wrote:

That belongs to Platoon.

That would be my choice too.

And its Tarrantinos fave Vietnam film too!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Wed 01 May 2013, 5:36 pm

Adam D wrote:
Galted wrote:

That belongs to Platoon.

That would be my choice too.

And its Tarrantinos fave Vietnam film too!

Well sir, I have to commend you on your impeccable taste (& to a lesser extent the Federer-lookalike you mentioned).

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Wed 01 May 2013, 6:21 pm

Batman Returns is the greatest Batman film, including the Nolan trilogy in that.

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed 01 May 2013, 7:04 pm

That belongs to Platoon.

indeed clap
The "tracks of my tears" scene............... quality.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 01 May 2013, 10:54 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:It has Roger Moore in it, therefore I will never be in favour of it as even an average Bond film, though it was quite fun watching it in the city in which it was filmed and partially set

Molina in For your eyes only is the most beautiful woman I've ever seen.............hence my love for that film..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 01 May 2013, 11:34 pm

Cudos for Platoon....classic.

Heres my view and it might shock a few on here....

Goodfellas absolutally sh*ts all over Godfather 1 2 and plucking 3.

The greatest crime/gangsta movie ever, EVER!. Can watch that film a million times and not get bored. Flawless acting right through the cast. Godfather can kiss my black a%&

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Hulking_up Thu 02 May 2013, 11:38 am

I like the first Twilight film.

Hulking_up

Back to top Go down

Post by Hulking_up Thu 02 May 2013, 11:38 am

onlytreblewinners wrote:Batman Returns is the greatest Batman film, including the Nolan trilogy in that.
Oh yes. I've been saying this for years.

Hulking_up

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Thu 02 May 2013, 1:06 pm

I would say The Dark Knight is better.

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Thu 02 May 2013, 1:24 pm

Clearly Batman & Robin is the best out of the series??

No??

Tumbleweed
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 02 May 2013, 2:12 pm

Brad Pitt is a severely underrated actor, Willis overrated.

Pirates of the Carribbean Dead Mans Chest is Johnny Depps magnum opus

Raging Bull is the greatest movie of all time!!

The Hangover is the ultimate "15-35 year old, White, Male" film
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 02 May 2013, 2:15 pm

kingraf wrote:Brad Pitt is a severely underrated actor, Willis overrated.

Shocked

Why do you have to be white?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 02 May 2013, 2:16 pm

"Urotsukidoji, Legend of the Overfiend" is not a cartoon done by a monster and breast obsessed fifteen year old with a a personality disorder and penchant for drawing but an insightful comment on a wide variety of social issues that, with repeated viewings will help you understand the way the world operates and how to make it a better place for the whole of mankind.

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 02 May 2013, 2:22 pm

Not a racist connotation, but it is a fact, in the same way Katt Williams (was)is the comedy for 15-35 black males.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Thu 02 May 2013, 2:27 pm

I found Raging Bull quite boring.

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 02 May 2013, 4:48 pm

kingraf wrote:Brad Pitt is a severely underrated actor, Willis overrated.

These are both true
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Thu 02 May 2013, 8:28 pm

Black and white must be sh!te.

(The exceptions being Clerks and anything starring Harold Lloyd or Laurel and Hardy)

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2