The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ANZAC Day Test

+2
SecretFly
kiakahaaotearoa
6 posters

Go down

ANZAC Day Test Empty ANZAC Day Test

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 29 Apr 2013, 3:13 pm

In the NH, you celebrate Rememberance Day in November. In the Antipodes the day of reflection is April 25th. League has a test around this date between the two countries. Union needs to do something as well to honor this day. We wear poppies usually for the November tests but I'd like to see a match between NZ and Australia on ANZAC day.

However not another test between Nz and Oz. Rather a Junior side or an age group side to represent the youth who owe their debt of gratitude to those who served in the World Wars.

I'm sure these guys are playing but other than the age group World Cup I don't think we get to see enough televised age group games. It'd be nice to see the upcoming talent in more high profile matches. Even more so with the demise of the baby blacks.

Are there any age group matches televised in the SH season?

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

ANZAC Day Test Empty Re: ANZAC Day Test

Post by SecretFly Mon 29 Apr 2013, 3:29 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:In the NH, you celebrate Rememberance Day in November. In the Antipodes the day of reflection is April 25th. League has a test around this date between the two countries. Union needs to do something as well to honor this day. We wear poppies usually for the November tests but I'd like to see a match between NZ and Australia on ANZAC day.

However not another test between Nz and Oz. Rather a Junior side or an age group side to represent the youth who owe their debt of gratitude to those who served in the World Wars.

I'm sure these guys are playing but other than the age group World Cup I don't think we get to see enough televised age group games. It'd be nice to see the upcoming talent in more high profile matches. Even more so with the demise of the baby blacks.

Are there any age group matches televised in the SH season?

Wouldn't like to see a day when traditionally New Zealanders and Australians stand side by side with a collective memory of doing so in World Wars become a seasonal grudge match though if one side kept winning (even age group) and the other kept losing. I think even a 'fun' game might develop a history and spoil the sense of oneness on that day. But I'm an outsider, that's only an opinion looking in.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 29 Apr 2013, 3:50 pm

We always lose the league but there isn't any resentment in that from the nz side as we recognize the Aissies are better and the Kiwis always tend to do better in tournaments rather than one off games because of the limited preparation.

I know where you're coming from Fly but I think sport has defined both our nations in a similar way to Galipolli forging the idea of separate nations. Having some event coming together as a recognition of that seems appropriate.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon 29 Apr 2013, 4:18 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:We always lose the league but there isn't any resentment in that from the nz side as we recognize the Aissies are better and the Kiwis always tend to do better in tournaments rather than one off games because of the limited preparation.

I know where you're coming from Fly but I think sport has defined both our nations in a similar way to Galipolli forging the idea of separate nations. Having some event coming together as a recognition of that seems appropriate.

Don't forget we're still world champs kia, even if it was a one off...albeit a huge one...defence this year in Manchester hopefully!

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 29 Apr 2013, 4:26 pm

Dont you worry mate. Had not forgotten. Like I said we do well in the tournaments.

You'd know better than me Tman. Do they televise age group footy or how many games they play on a year? Might be a way to give a fresh look to trans Tasman tests as the bledisloe has lost a lot of the magic. Too many games.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by dallym Tue 30 Apr 2013, 12:10 am

does it need to be an international? Can't we schedule a game or two on the day (Blues V Brumbies? Waratahs are a no-no as the Easts/Dragons NRL match will be at the SFS) or have the closest round all NZ V Aus teams, with the country with the most wins getting a trophy?

dallym

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 30 Apr 2013, 1:54 am

Coincidentally this is the time of year we have the traditional Army-Navy match. This year with a record 72,000 at Twickenham.

Why not a combined services match between Aus and NZ? Would recognise the military bond dating back to Gallipoli, whilst still having friendly competition between the nations?

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue 30 Apr 2013, 6:05 am

Nice ideas dally and doc. Doesn't take much to organise something. 72 000 is a great turnout!

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Tue 30 Apr 2013, 9:54 am

So April 25th is ANZAC day. I didn't know that.

That was my dad's birthday. So I won't easily forget it.

I'll add it to November 11th as a date to remember to quietly honour the dead conscripts and innocent citizens of all nations in futile and religious/political/economically-motivated wars

So much more convincing than the self-styled 'heroes' of professional standing armies.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 30 Apr 2013, 10:52 am

There is nothing self-styled about today's armed forces. These mostly young people are equally brave and committed as those from days gone by.

What we lack are the great causes to fight for.....

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Tue 30 Apr 2013, 11:06 am

Nothing much heroic about signing up either doc.

Still I'm sure that the US military-industrial complex will soon dream up another where the heroes of both sides will be fully engaged.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down