The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best film from the 80s - Round 4 of the Movie Cup

+27
VDT
bhb001
Mind the windows Tino.
Stella
aucklandlaurie
TRUSSMAN66
Afro
Dolphin Ziggler
ChequeredJersey
Shot 21 LCFC
Bull
Hulking_up
MIG
mystiroakey
Pal Joey
The Womble
88Chris05
Il Gialloblu
hornbloweroafc
sodhat
McLaren
Galted
Hero
Crimey
JuliusHMarx
Rowley
Adam D
31 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Vote for your favourite

Best film from the 80s - Round 4 of the Movie Cup - Page 2 Vote_lcap3%Best film from the 80s - Round 4 of the Movie Cup - Page 2 Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 4 ]
Best film from the 80s - Round 4 of the Movie Cup - Page 2 Vote_lcap6%Best film from the 80s - Round 4 of the Movie Cup - Page 2 Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 9 ]
Best film from the 80s - Round 4 of the Movie Cup - Page 2 Vote_lcap4%Best film from the 80s - Round 4 of the Movie Cup - Page 2 Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 5 ]
Best film from the 80s - Round 4 of the Movie Cup - Page 2 Vote_lcap8%Best film from the 80s - Round 4 of the Movie Cup - Page 2 Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 11 ]
Best film from the 80s - Round 4 of the Movie Cup - Page 2 Vote_lcap2%Best film from the 80s - Round 4 of the Movie Cup - Page 2 Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 3 ]
Best film from the 80s - Round 4 of the Movie Cup - Page 2 Vote_lcap7%Best film from the 80s - Round 4 of the Movie Cup - Page 2 Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 10 ]
Best film from the 80s - Round 4 of the Movie Cup - Page 2 Vote_lcap16%Best film from the 80s - Round 4 of the Movie Cup - Page 2 Vote_rcap 16% 
[ 22 ]
Best film from the 80s - Round 4 of the Movie Cup - Page 2 Vote_lcap13%Best film from the 80s - Round 4 of the Movie Cup - Page 2 Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 18 ]
Best film from the 80s - Round 4 of the Movie Cup - Page 2 Vote_lcap3%Best film from the 80s - Round 4 of the Movie Cup - Page 2 Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 4 ]
Best film from the 80s - Round 4 of the Movie Cup - Page 2 Vote_lcap9%Best film from the 80s - Round 4 of the Movie Cup - Page 2 Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 13 ]
Best film from the 80s - Round 4 of the Movie Cup - Page 2 Vote_lcap13%Best film from the 80s - Round 4 of the Movie Cup - Page 2 Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 18 ]
Best film from the 80s - Round 4 of the Movie Cup - Page 2 Vote_lcap6%Best film from the 80s - Round 4 of the Movie Cup - Page 2 Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 9 ]
Best film from the 80s - Round 4 of the Movie Cup - Page 2 Vote_lcap10%Best film from the 80s - Round 4 of the Movie Cup - Page 2 Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 15 ]

Total Votes : 141

Best film from the 80s - Round 4 of the Movie Cup - Page 2 Empty Best film from the 80s - Round 4 of the Movie Cup

Post by Adam D Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:01 am

First topic message reminder :

Vote for your favourite 2 - voting ends on Monday.

Everyone allowed to vote in this, not just the people who nominated.

Below are the reasons for nominations (where provided).

Next week is films based on a comic book or comic book character:

Stand by Me - one of the few Stephen King stories to make a successful transfer to screen, this is one of those films I can watch again and again. Great build-up & unsentimental climax, you'd have to be a bit disturbed not to be wracked with nostalgia.

The Empire strikes back - The first sequel to outstrip an original. A critically acclaimed success and action packed from start to finish.

ET - Possibly the greatest film of all time and not just the 80s. A story which still carries an emotional wallop even today. Brilliant acting and story from the greatest director of his generation. This has to win!

Die Hard - Who could forget this amazing film with hard hitter John McClain(Bruce wills fantastic performance) and the amazing ride which was "Yippee Kiy Yay"

Airplane - It's just clearly the best comedy film of all time. It launched a new era of spoof comedies and sight gags, for which I am eternally grateful. Even people who haven't seen it know quotes from it. It transcended!

Blade Runner - A Sci-Fi classic film that manages to equal the book it was based on, the outstanding Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. Exceptional acting and direction throughout but the key features here were the existential questions asked through the plot and characters and the sublime way Scott subtly makes suggestions regarding the nature of identity. A massive influence on works in every conceivable medium.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off - a film that needs no introduction or case made for it - it simply is one of the best films ever made, never mind from the 80s. There has never been a better feel-good movie than Ferris Bueller.

The Terminator - The Terminator made the reputation of cowriter/director James Cameron and solidified the stardom of Arnold Schwarzenegger. The movie begins in a post-apocalyptic 2029, when Los Angeles has been largely reduced to rubble and is under the thumb of all-powerful ruling machines. Kyle Reese (Michael Biehn), a member of the human resistance movement, is teleported back to 1984. His purpose: to rescue Sarah Connor (Linda Hamilton), the mother of the man who will lead the 21st-century rebels against the tyrannical machines, from being assassinated before she can give birth. Likewise thrust back to 1984 is The Terminator (Schwarzenegger), a grim, well-armed, virtually indestructable cyborg who has been programmed to eliminate Sarah Connor. This is the film in which Schwarzenegger declared "I'll be baaaack"

Back To The Future - A time travelling masterpiece. Michael J Fox's best film. Who didn't want to own a DeLorean?? One of those films that gets quoted even now.

The Goonies - Hey yoooooooooouuuu guyyyyyssss vote for this! This film defines life as a child growing up in the 80s, hanging out with your friends on bmxs, playing out & exploring, finding physically and mentally handicapped members of criminal gangs whilst searching for underground pirate treasure to stop you being relocated, we've all been there. So if you want to do the truffle shuffle one more time vote for this!

Last edited by Adam D on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Best film from the 80s - Round 4 of the Movie Cup - Page 2 Empty Re: Best film from the 80s - Round 4 of the Movie Cup

Post by Guest Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:18 pm

Adam D wrote:
Azzy Mahmood wrote:Yeah, ET got my second choice. Drew Barrymore was so hot.

The Prize for the most inappropriate comment on this forum goes to Azzy Laugh
Laugh

She was 7, when I first saw it I was about 5, man, she was probably the first woman I ever loved. I really fancied her in that film heart

Back to top Go down

Best film from the 80s - Round 4 of the Movie Cup - Page 2 Empty Re: Best film from the 80s - Round 4 of the Movie Cup

Post by Pal Joey Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:19 pm

Crimey wrote:
Linebreaker wrote:
Crimey wrote:It's a great action film, but on this list, I'd rank it right near the bottom. Almost all of the others are superior to it.

You prefer Ferris Bueller's Day off to Die Hard?

FBDO is one of my choices for most overrated films.... ever.

Shocked

Get out!

Ferris Buellar is an excellent film, it's aged really well, it's funny, it's sweet. Die Hard is purely an action film, a good one, but action films are probably the worst kinds of films anyway.

I prefer American Pie but that's the next decade isn't it? Smile

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:20 pm

Adam, can I ban people for slagging Die Hard off?

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:21 pm

I think its perfectly reasonable. Its the movie equivalent of wumming!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:21 pm

Linebreaker wrote:
Crimey wrote:It's a great action film, but on this list, I'd rank it right near the bottom. Almost all of the others are superior to it.

WHAAAAT??
Erm
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:23 pm

Linebreaker wrote:
Crimey wrote:
Linebreaker wrote:

Shocked

Get out!

Ferris Buellar is an excellent film, it's aged really well, it's funny, it's sweet. Die Hard is purely an action film, a good one, but action films are probably the worst kinds of films anyway.

I prefer American Pie but that's the next decade isn't it? Smile

You uncultured swine!

(Points if anybody gets the reference.)

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:23 pm

Rowley wrote:Adam, can I ban people for slagging Die Hard off?
Only if you PM them first saying "Now you have a 3-day ban. Ho Ho Ho. Yippey-kay-yay!"

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:23 pm

If I was to put the list of films in order of preference I'd go:

The Empire Strikes Back
Airplane
Goonies
Ghostbusters
Ferris Buellers Day Off
Back to the Future
Die Hard
Raiders of the lost ark
Blade Runner
The Terminator
Police Academy
Stand By Me
ET

In saying that though the top ten I'd happily watch again and again.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:24 pm

Azzy Mahmood wrote:
Only if you PM them first saying "Now you have a 3-day ban. Ho Ho Ho. Yippey-kay-yay!"

John Mclane would not PM people first.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:24 pm

Adam D wrote:Wow - some amazing comments on here! Die Hard slating, BTTF slating!

At least we can all agree that ET is awesome!

No we can't Smile
I saw it when it came out, then about 10 years later on re-release, just to see if I'd change my opinion. Good film, but not in the 'great' category for me. Close Encounters was way better.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:26 pm

I'd go:

The Empire Strikes Back
Ferris Buellers Day Off
Airplane
Raiders of the lost ark
Ghostbusters
Back to the Future
ET
Die Hard
The Terminator
Goonies

Haven't seen:

Police Academy
Stand By Me
Blade Runner

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:27 pm

Crimey wrote:I'd go:

The Empire Strikes Back
Ferris Buellers Day Off
Airplane
Raiders of the lost ark
Ghostbusters
Back to the Future
ET
Die Hard
The Terminator
Goonies

Haven't seen:

Police Academy
Stand By Me
Blade Runner

Laugh my choice is above Heros!!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:30 pm

Linebreaker wrote:

WHAAAAT??
Erm
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:31 pm

I can't believe Aiplane! has only one vote. Phillistines, all of you.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:31 pm

Mine would be:

Ferris Buellers Day Off
ET
The Empire Strikes Back
Die Hard
Ghostbusters
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Blade Runner
The Terminator
Airplane
Police Academy
Back to the Future
Stand By Me
Goonies

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:33 pm

It's OK mate. I read it the first time.

OK, the opening 8 minutes is half interesting.

I can see it would have appealed to a 4-year old though. Smile

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:33 pm

sodhat wrote:I can't believe Aiplane! has only one vote. Phillistines, all of you.

That is really disappointing. It just missed out on my vote, maybe it was the same for a lot of people. Good, but not good enough to get their top two votes.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:34 pm

Most of us ARE still four, aren't we?

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:35 pm

Others that could have been contenders...

Full Metal Jacket
The Princess Bride
Scarface
Once Upon a Time in America
Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
When Harry Met Sally
A nightmare on Elm Street
Aliens
Batman
The Untouchables
Karate Kid
Legend
Highlander
Sixteen Candles
Short Circuit
Robocop
Transformers the Movie
Footloose
Dirty Dancing
The Breakfast Club
An American Werewolf in London
Blues Brothers
Lethal Weapon
Big
Beverly Hills Cop
Gremlins
Tremors
Labyrinth
Beetlejuice

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:35 pm

Crimey wrote:
sodhat wrote:I can't believe Aiplane! has only one vote. Phillistines, all of you.

That is really disappointing. It just missed out on my vote, maybe it was the same for a lot of people. Good, but not good enough to get their top two votes.

I think you're right, one of those films everyone likes but probably not many love.

It's worse that the only vote was mine, too Laugh

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:36 pm

Rowley wrote:
Azzy Mahmood wrote:

John Mclane would not PM people first.

Unfortunately the site doesn't have the option to drop explosives down lift shafts.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:38 pm

ET awesome. On ya bike mate!!

I havent even watched it the whole way through.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:39 pm

Crimey wrote:

Yeah, that was hilarious but I consider it a separate genre which should have its own category. Whistle

Probably could replace Bladerunner as one of my choices.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:40 pm

mystiroakey wrote:ET awesome. On ya bike mate!!

I havent even watched it the whole way through.

It gets my most boring vote... along with Close Encounters. What were they on?

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:40 pm

I would rather stick rusty nails for an hour and a half into my nether regions than subject myself to watching ET again. That film is for me the most overrated pile of tosh I've ever had the grim misfortune of bearing witness to.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:41 pm

Not sure why my comment loaded twice (9 minutes apart as well).

FBDO is a great film. I still remember sitting in the cinema, my 4 year old self clutching my pic-n-mix in one hand and my carton of Um Bongo in the other eagerly awaiting the start and saying to my 7 year brother 'this is going to be a classic'.......
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:41 pm

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:42 pm

Hero wrote:I would rather stick rusty nails for an hour and a half into my nether regions than subject myself to watching ET again. That film is for me the most overrated pile of tosh I've ever had the grim misfortune of bearing witness to.

Actually 'Lost in Translation' runs in close, but the scrotum looking alien still pips it.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:43 pm

Hero wrote:
Hero wrote:I would rather stick rusty nails for an hour and a half into my nether regions than subject myself to watching ET again. That film is for me the most overrated pile of tosh I've ever had the grim misfortune of bearing witness to.

Actually 'Lost in Translation' runs in close, but the scrotum looking alien still pips it.

You didn't like Lost in Translation? Maybe you didn't understand it.

drumroll

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:44 pm

crazygangwomble wrote:Not sure why my comment loaded twice (9 minutes apart as well).

FBDO is a great film. I still remember sitting in the cinema, my 4 year old self clutching my pic-n-mix in one hand and my carton of Um Bongo in the other eagerly awaiting the start and saying to my 7 year brother 'this is going to be a classic'.......

Laugh Careful not to paint yourself into a corner with the description 'great film'!

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:47 pm

Hero wrote:

ET is bad, but not as bad as The Shawshank Redemption, Dead Poets Society, Toys or The Royal Tenenbaums
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:47 pm

Ever seen Prizzi's Honour?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:48 pm

I loved Lost in Translation, Scarlett Johansson doing not much talking is fine by me.

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:49 pm

crazygangwomble wrote:
Hero wrote:

ET is bad, but not as bad as ...Dead Poets Society

GASP! Outside - now! boxing

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:50 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:

Ever seen Prizzi's Honour?

Yeah, in the Name Game Films thread.

As for the film itself? No bloody way! A hopeless plot. Wink

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:51 pm

Linebreaker wrote:
crazygangwomble wrote:Not sure why my comment loaded twice (9 minutes apart as well).

Laugh Careful not to paint yourself into a corner with the description 'great film'!

Well let's change that....you can have 'fantastic', 'magnificent', 'excellent', 'terrific', 'cool', 'groovy' or plain old 'good'? (That's all Microsoft Word Thesaurus would give me)

I think i'll change it to terrific. It was a terrific film.
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:56 pm

I'd call it a "feel-good adolescent" film. Slightly daggy but harmless fun. Best film from the 80s - Round 4 of the Movie Cup - Page 2 1347041234

Last edited by Linebreaker on Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:56 pm

Dead Poets Society was horrific, I don't think I've watched BBC2 since Shocked

Worst film I've ever seen is Mr and Mrs Smith. That's a film that belongs in the 80s.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:56 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:
crazygangwomble wrote:
Hero wrote:

ET is bad, but not as bad as ...Dead Poets Society

GASP! Outside - now! boxing

Now now there's no need for violence. In fairness, it's rubbish. I fell asleep watching it. I would rather watch Mortal Kombat: Annihilation than watch that load of guff again.
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:01 pm

Linebreaker wrote:I'd call it a "feel-good adolescent" film. Slightly daggy but harmless fun. Best film from the 80s - Round 4 of the Movie Cup - Page 2 1347041234

I'll go with that Smile
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:03 pm

Azzy Mahmood wrote:Dead Poets Society was horrific, I don't think I've watched BBC2 since Shocked

It was only an hour and a half long - they had other programs on after it Smile

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:08 pm

Linebreaker wrote:I'd call it a "feel-good adolescent" film. Slightly daggy but harmless fun. Best film from the 80s - Round 4 of the Movie Cup - Page 2 1347041234

Strewth!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:18 pm

It's not worth bottling!

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:18 pm

No Lost Boys or Scarface...

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:25 pm

The Lost Boys couldn't find their way to the poll Whistle

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:03 pm

I think any film that doesn't contain one of the following should be automatically disqualified for not being 80s enough.

Molly Ringwald
Corey Feldman
Corey Haim
Rob Lowe
Emilio Estevez
Tom Cruise
Kiefer Sutherland
Steve Guttenberg
Michael J Fox
Harrison Ford
Rick Moranis
Patrick Swayze
Kelly McGillis
Ralph Macchio
Elisabeth Shue
Val Kilmer
Matthew Broderick
Phoebe Cates
Kelly LeBrock

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:15 pm

You missed out Andrew McCarthy

Molly Ringwald <sigh>

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:17 pm

Yeah McCarthy would be in there I agree.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:17 pm

Dont diss Molly. Hero will ban any anti ginger posters!!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:18 pm

Hero wrote:I think any film that doesn't contain one of the following should be automatically disqualified for not being 80s enough.

Molly Ringwald
Corey Feldman
Corey Haim
Rob Lowe
Emilio Estevez
Tom Cruise
Kiefer Sutherland
Steve Guttenberg
Michael J Fox
Harrison Ford
Rick Moranis
Patrick Swayze
Kelly McGillis
Ralph Macchio
Elisabeth Shue
Val Kilmer
Matthew Broderick
Phoebe Cates
Kelly LeBrock

Any bad 80's films needed the following actors/actresses to make them watchable:

Michelle Pfeiffer

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next