The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dream Sequences - Good Fun or bad storytelling ??

+2
Adam D
TRUSSMAN66
6 posters

Go down

Dream Sequences - Good Fun or bad storytelling ?? Empty Dream Sequences - Good Fun or bad storytelling ??

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 17 Apr 2013, 12:15 pm

Some of the best scenes in movies have been dream sequences..........However they really are a cheat either to get ummph into a movie or to relate something to the audience a good director should be able to convey without resorting to......

Not a fan myself...........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Dream Sequences - Good Fun or bad storytelling ?? Empty Re: Dream Sequences - Good Fun or bad storytelling ??

Post by Adam D Wed 17 Apr 2013, 12:21 pm

I think that a Nightmare on Elm Street would have suffered without them 8)

Dreamscape was a good film

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Dream Sequences - Good Fun or bad storytelling ?? Empty Re: Dream Sequences - Good Fun or bad storytelling ??

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 17 Apr 2013, 12:30 pm

You're taking me out of context............But It's fairplay!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Wed 17 Apr 2013, 1:03 pm

In similar vein, Inception would have been a pretty short and boring film otherwise...

Seriously though, this device has its place - but has to be used sparingly and for a good reason (and in a sufficiently believable manner).

Perhaps the best example I can think of though comes from TV rather than film - Buffy the Vampire Slayer (involving Spike having a very surprising dream about his mortal enemy; and the false daydreams which Buffy was experiencing when her mother died - in which Buffy managed to save her).

I suppose going the other way is its use in comedy which can also be effective - e.g. Wayne's World.

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed 17 Apr 2013, 1:35 pm

Depends how they are used, like almost any storytelling technique!
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 17 Apr 2013, 1:42 pm

Tend to be a staple of lazy directors or inadequate ones...

But you're right they do have their place..sometimes.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 17 Apr 2013, 9:55 pm

The problem with dreams is that they can solve a lot of iffy storyline issues.

Inception was all a dream... and wasn't I grateful it was as I didn't have to go back over the movie with a fine tooth comb to expose the undoubted flaws in the storyline.

I think in such a movie that tries to amaze you with complexity it's a cheat to have it all turn out to be a dream in the end.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by kingjohn7 Thu 18 Apr 2013, 12:09 am

I think the dream sequences in Shutter Island were very good and played an integral part of the film

kingjohn7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 18 Apr 2013, 11:26 am

Bobby Ewing in Dallas!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 18 Apr 2013, 11:49 am

To hell with Bobby and his soap... JR is the only reason Bobby's shower scene is a cult memory in the first place. Here's to the memories (real ones) of JR. Bubbly

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 18 Apr 2013, 11:53 am

kingjohn7 wrote:I think the dream sequences in Shutter Island were very good and played an integral part of the film
Indeed, I really enjoyed that film. Keeps you guessing right to the end.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down