The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wasps - What now?

+4
HongKongCherry
beshocked
Solid8
NeilyBroon
8 posters

Go down

Wasps - What now? Empty Wasps - What now?

Post by NeilyBroon Mon 08 Apr 2013, 11:32 am

After a thumping from Leinster on Friday, it got me thinking. Have Wasps made progress then taken a couple of steps back?

From being potential Aviva quarter finalists we've lost a couple of poor games and now, whilst it's mathematically possible, we're not likely to get into the playoffs unless we get 3 bonus point wins which considering that we have 2 away games and 1 home game left seems impossible.

We're not challenging for the Challenge cup (excuse the pun) this year after that spectacular KO by Leinster.

Our attack potential is good, but our recycling is atrocious, much like Scotland at the moment.

So where do we go from here?

What I'd like to see against Leicester on Sunday is our pack front up to theirs and let the backline loose. I predict a Leicester win, they're just too good, but I'd like to see us score a few.

Maybe I'm being pessimistic, Wasps have improved tenfold since last season at least.

Fixtures:

Leicester (Away)
Exeter (Home)
Sale (Away)

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Wasps - What now? Empty Re: Wasps - What now?

Post by Solid8 Mon 08 Apr 2013, 12:40 pm

Wasps are developing as a team and as such they will have ups and downs. There is a lot of potential there I think that they will continue to improve next season and with a decent recruitment drive could do very well.

I can see them picking up two wins from their remaining three fixtures.

To my mind the biggest worry for Wasps is the potential move to Brentford, they have been in Wycombe for 11 years now and have built up a decent local fan-base. This would be threatened by moving away which would be a real shame.

Solid8

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 08 Apr 2013, 12:54 pm

Top 6 should be the obvious target.

Your main rivals for the 6th spot are Bath and Exeter.

Bath have a very tough last 3 matches. Exeter's last 3 matches are alright but one of them is vs you so that's a big game.

Personally I think Brentford would be good for Wasps. Would bring Wasps back into London and because it's about halfway between both Quins and Sarries it's a nice snug spot. Not too close to either - well situated.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Mon 08 Apr 2013, 12:56 pm

Solid8 wrote:Wasps are developing as a team and as such they will have ups and downs. There is a lot of potential there I think that they will continue to improve next season and with a decent recruitment drive could do very well.

To my mind the biggest worry for Wasps is the potential move to Brentford, they have been in Wycombe for 11 years now and have built up a decent local fan-base. This would be threatened by moving away which would be a real shame.

They're still contracted to Wycombe for the next couple of seasons, but it would be a shame if they moved to Brentford, although I'd happily travel to watch them. I think the problem is unless Adams park gets an upgrade or a new stadium is built they'll probably move. I think a lot of rugby clubs are now looking to eventually get their own stadium and planning permission out in the green belt is a pain in the a**.

I can see Wasps perhaps picking up a win against Exeter but Sale have nothing to lose. I hope we're at least well placed for next season. Onwards and upwards!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Mon 08 Apr 2013, 12:59 pm

Wasps have gone from only Sam Vesty's idiocy saving them from relegation to an Amlin Q/F and with a very real chance of finishing top 6 in the Jeff, which for what it's worth I feel they will achieve (Bath's run in is so hard I can't see them picking up anything bar LBPs). I would suggest that improvement is more than ten fold.

Wasps have a relatively small and inexperienced squad, so there was always going to be a time when there was a dip in form as injuries and over-playing would take its toll.

There was no shame in the manner of the loss to Leinster either - they are arguably the greatest ever HC team and Wasps certainly gave them a scare early on.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Solid8 Mon 08 Apr 2013, 1:51 pm

NeilyBroon wrote:
Solid8 wrote:Wasps are developing as a team and as such they will have ups and downs. There is a lot of potential there I think that they will continue to improve next season and with a decent recruitment drive could do very well.

They're still contracted to Wycombe for the next couple of seasons, but it would be a shame if they moved to Brentford, although I'd happily travel to watch them. I think the problem is unless Adams park gets an upgrade or a new stadium is built they'll probably move. I think a lot of rugby clubs are now looking to eventually get their own stadium and planning permission out in the green belt is a pain in the a**.

I can see Wasps perhaps picking up a win against Exeter but Sale have nothing to lose. I hope we're at least well placed for next season. Onwards and upwards!

To my knowledge there is no way for them to upgrade Adams Park so they will have to move, but lets face it sell out crowds are hardly the norm these days. There was a talk a while ago of going in with Wycombe to build a new stadium off the M40 (with its own on/off ramp) but that was stupid and doomed to failure. After 11 years I think that they should stay in Wycombe and can think of a couple of places where they could achieve this that are not greenbelt.

Many Wycombe based fans I know have said that they will not travel to Brentford, as it would involve driving and therefore limit the pre/post match sherbets.

Solid8

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Tue 09 Apr 2013, 12:25 pm

Well spare a thought for those of us who trek up from London for games. The old ground in Sudbury was a 6 minute walk for me. Then a 25 minute bus ride when I moved.

Now it's 3+ hours travelling for each home game.

On the pitch our biggest problem is that we are not an 80 minute team. I have lost count of the number of games we have been ahead in only to collapse in the last 20 minutes. That should be simple enough to fix.

I would be delighted to qualify for the HC after last season. Wins against Exe and Sale are a must.

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by thewaspsblog Tue 09 Apr 2013, 1:17 pm

Wasps are in a decent position should we get a new owner in the near future (how long have we been saying this!). We have managed to keep most of our best young talent, Billy aside, for the first time in years. Also been impressed with Dai's recruiting of shrewd old heads like Southwell and Masi and unearthing useful English lads like Phil Swainston.

Off the pitch we just have to come back to London. Friday night was our biggest match and it still didn't sell out (yes it was busy but you would hope for an official sell out). However, it was busy and the ground and Wycombe infrastructure just cannot cope. Those of us coming up from London using the train the park and ride was awful. As usual we ran out of beer at certain times and it's been the same story for years.

The players have looked knackered since we had the two great wins against Quins and Gloucester. Our squad is smaller than most and this should be improved next year where we currently have more coming in than going for the first time in ages.

Win 2 in the final 3 and it should see us into the H Cup. Fail to do so and we probably don't deserve it.

thewaspsblog

http://www.thewaspsblog.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Tue 09 Apr 2013, 5:05 pm

thewaspsblog wrote:Wasps are in a decent position should we get a new owner in the near future (how long have we been saying this!). We have managed to keep most of our best young talent, Billy aside, for the first time in years. Also been impressed with Dai's recruiting of shrewd old heads like Southwell and Masi and unearthing useful English lads like Phil Swainston.

Off the pitch we just have to come back to London. Friday night was our biggest match and it still didn't sell out (yes it was busy but you would hope for an official sell out). However, it was busy and the ground and Wycombe infrastructure just cannot cope. Those of us coming up from London using the train the park and ride was awful. As usual we ran out of beer at certain times and it's been the same story for years.

The players have looked knackered since we had the two great wins against Quins and Gloucester. Our squad is smaller than most and this should be improved next year where we currently have more coming in than going for the first time in ages.

Win 2 in the final 3 and it should see us into the H Cup. Fail to do so and we probably don't deserve it.

+1

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 09 Apr 2013, 5:36 pm

The key will be hanging onto the promising group of players they've put together. Sadly Billy Vunipola is already on the way out (although Johnson is a unit), and they'll need to be very careful not to lose Launchbury, Daly and Wade.

I've been impressed with Dai Young's work so far. Wasps play good rugby. They just need to toughen up around the edges and become more consistent. An out and out 7 would help as well.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Tue 09 Apr 2013, 5:52 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:The key will be hanging onto the promising group of players they've put together. Sadly Billy Vunipola is already on the way out (although Johnson is a unit), and they'll need to be very careful not to lose Launchbury, Daly and Wade.

I've been impressed with Dai Young's work so far. Wasps play good rugby. They just need to toughen up around the edges and become more consistent. An out and out 7 would help as well.

Launchbury, Daly, Wade & just this week Jones have signed contracts to stay with Wasps already. The big loss as you say was Billy V who turned down a significant offer to go to Sarries.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 09 Apr 2013, 6:22 pm

Good news on the contract extensions, particularly Launchbury and Wade. I definitely think Wasps are moving in the right direction. Squad depth isn't quite there, but the 1st XV is pretty decent.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Solid8 Wed 10 Apr 2013, 12:05 pm

Not exactly surprising but Derek Richardson has been confirmed as the new owner of Wasps.

http://www.espnscrum.com/premiership-2012-13/rugby/story/180243.html

The article confirms that a priority for them moving forward is to return to London as co-owners of their own stadium, a mistake in my view. Other than that it is the usual positive business speak and back slapping associated with such announcements.

Solid8

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down