The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Troubled Welsh regions eye English links

+27
Irish Londoner
The Great Aukster
funnyExiledScot
Stone Motif
Cardiff Dave
Metal Tiger
Hound of Harrow
pioden gorllewin
LondonTiger
irfon17
Allty
HammerofThunor
thebluesmancometh
TJ1
nathan
maestegmafia
Shifty
profitius
Knowsit17
wales606
Enforcer
DaveM
Ospreydragon
Feckless Rogue
Portnoy's Complaint
GavinDragon
31 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Troubled Welsh regions eye English links - Page 3 Empty Welsh Regions Eye English Links

Post by Guest Sat 30 Mar 2013, 11:45 am

First topic message reminder :

I wish they wouldn't publish stories like this. It will create an avalanche of WUMming from both sides of the Severn. It will cause all sorts of arguments about relegation vs ring fencing, clubs v regions, etc. And worst of all it's extremely rude to the current nations that we're already in a league with, who rightly will now want to tell us to p*ss off. People shouldn't open their mouths with these ideas unless they're concrete.

Anyway, here's the article:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/21977459

Back to top Go down

Troubled Welsh regions eye English links - Page 3 Empty Re: Troubled Welsh regions eye English links

Post by SecretFly Thu 04 Apr 2013, 11:56 am

The newness of Welsh v English fist fighting in an Anglo/Welsh league would die away pretty quick in my opinion.

Newness always settles down into familiarity. So, the crowds would become an issue again, I feel. If the magic bullet is the anti Welsh - anti English love-in feelings - if that is the only thing that attracts Welshmen (of all people) to a rugby game...then the sport is already dead there.

I don't believe that's the case (that regional rugby is dead) but neither do I believe that an English/Welsh heavyweight boxing family-squabble on a weekly basis will automatically fix Welsh regional rugby. The bums ain't on seats for more reasons than that.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Troubled Welsh regions eye English links - Page 3 Empty Re: Troubled Welsh regions eye English links

Post by HammerofThunor Thu 04 Apr 2013, 12:06 pm

Kingshu wrote:If the regions did leave the Pro 12 for the Jeff, would some Jeff clubs that feel they are being pushed out join Pro 12?

London Irish, London Welsh, Maybe Newcastle?

Personally I think the regions are saying about joining jeff, to get at the WRU, and the Jeff are mentioning looking into it to devide the Celtic Unions over Europe. Nothing will come of it except the IRFU, SRU and FIR will distrust the Welsh regions, and add pressure on WRU to get its house in order as we need to work together, for Pro 12 and Europe.

Ps If the regions did leave the Pro 12 for the Jeff and alinged themselves with them over Europe. I don't think I would ever forgive them.

All those clubs are 'controlled' by the RFU regarding cross-union competitions. If the premiership is ring-fenced without them then I could possibly see the RFU trying to put some in other leagues if possible. But it's still not going to happen. The main reason being the WRU won't let any control go to the regions and I can't see the PRL allowing the WRU any control over their competitions. If the WRU devolved TV rights, sponsorship etc to the regions then it becomes more of a possibility (but still highly unlikely)

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3