The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2013 Handicap Watch

+31
oneorthree
McLaren
kingraf
ScottieD18
GG
hend085
super_realist
JPX
Eyetoldyouso
MontysMerkin
GWR-Golfer
EmmDee57
puligny
Bob_the_Job
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
tarka
SmithersJones
JAS
ralphjohn69
Hibbz
Sand
Davie
dynamark
shclaff
golfermartin
BlueCoverman
Roller_Coaster
boyhyde
1GrumpyGolfer
navyblueshorts
barragan
35 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

2013 Handicap Watch - Page 5 Empty 2013 Handicap Watch

Post by barragan Fri 15 Mar 2013 - 11:51

First topic message reminder :

Right - all you competition addicts, a thread to share our handicap adjustments (perhaps some tales of woe...hopefully some tales of banditry) this year. Geeky or what Very Happy

Last edited by barragan on Fri 15 Mar 2013 - 11:55; edited 1 time in total

barragan

Back to top Go down

2013 Handicap Watch - Page 5 Empty Re: 2013 Handicap Watch

Post by JAS Tue 22 Oct 2013 - 10:07

Never posted last weekend as I was traumatised. Went to the Westlake at Trevose at 6.2. Thought I had seen the best and worst of my putting the previous weekend but oh no....missed a 1 foot tap in on the 1st in the morning round and that was the que for the worst putting round of my entire life (24 putts on the front 9, 44 in total) especially gutting as I doubt I'll get to play Trevose flat calm like it was that morning again. My tee to green game was fine but a 92 was crippling. 89 in the afternoon wan't much better, once again 40 putts. Because it was calm the tees were all more or less back on the tips and the pins were in probably their most awkward places but even so difficult pins should not result in 12 & 8 putts respectively over my average. So a horrible day and 0.2 on to take me to 6.4

Sunday JUST GONE was the last medal of the year off the whites at my 2nd club. Fortified by a new "fat handle" on my putter (I HAD to change something) I was hopeful of a decent score. A bit of a chore in the torrential showers, driver was a bit hit and miss which got me into trouble on more than one occasion. The conditions were responsible for ticking the CSS up to 74 so just scraped into the buffer with an 83 net 77 (with a triple). Most pleasing aspect was a restoration of putting confidence (32 putts).

So looks like I'll be over-wintering on 6.4. Not what I was looking for at the start of the season but it is progress. I spent the previous season bouncing off 6 & not feeling like I was able to play to it consistently. This year I have for the most part been able to play to 6 and feel like I can go lower.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by oneorthree Tue 22 Oct 2013 - 12:07

The decent form didn't really hang around.

79 net 76 +0.1 3.5.

Started poorly. (1-4 are easy holes at my course, par 5 to start and then 3 shortish par 4s, 3-4 being driveable on a good day.) Cat 1 players should never be coming off those holes in anything worse than level if you are after a decent score.
teed off at 7.38 in the pouring rain. I started, 6,5,6,4 for +4 after 4. short sided myself on 1 didn't get up and down, 3 putt bogey from 30ft on 2 then a pull hook 4 iron on the 3rd tee lost me a ball.
Steadied the ship with 5 pars and a birdie to be +3 on the 11th tee. pull hooked a 3 iron into jungle and made double bogey 5. few more pars until par5 16th when I went for it in 2.
Had about 230 which was in between a 3wood and a 2 iron. hit the 3wood but caught it a bit too well and flew the green long left. Had to drop off a footpath into rough, moved it about 10 feet then chipped to about 15feet missed the putt.
solid par on 17. then miss clubbed it into the par 3 last, 6 iron to front bunker, plugged, left it in there but got up and down with a good putt for a 79.

Actually didn't play too bad. Still have a horrible pull hook which cost me about 4 shots. didn't putt great but the greens were very slow and hard to read with all the rain.

3.5 so only managed about a week as a 3 handicapper!
Final competition off the whites on sunday, memorial cup. Although weather looks atrocious so may give it a miss.

Have got down 2.5 to 3.5 since 1st picking up a club again in april so overall im pretty chuffed. Although (like all golfers) I always feel iv left a few shots out there. I think its because in my head I still expect to play scratch golf and need to adjust my expectations slightly!!

Have booked a lesson for next week though. first time anyone has looked at my swing in years!
Interested to see what is said, id just like to get rid of this nasty pull hook I tend to hit. Videoed myself at the range the otherday and I seem to hit it when I get very flat on the backswing and quick into the ball.
I never had many lessons before but think I need them more now as I don't have the time to practice, when I was off scratch I used to hit about 400-500 balls a week so however my swing was I was always hitting it fairly straight. Not the case now when im lucky to get half an hour at the range for 75 balls a week before the Mrs starts moaning that I should be tucking the kids in bed!!!!!!!!
Think this may have given me an idea for a new thread though!

oneorthree

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Tue 22 Oct 2013 - 12:16

oneorthree wrote:
I never had many lessons before but think I need them more now as I don't have the time to practice, when I was off scratch I used to hit about 400-500 balls a week so however my swing was I was always hitting it fairly straight.
Holy crap - there's where I'm going wrong - in 20 years I have never managed to hit 400-500 balls! So you're saying practicing helps? Wink 
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Tue 22 Oct 2013 - 12:19

Very disappointing end to the season - out with a whimper.

Expectations perhaps a little too high on the tee (after the 4 under par front 9 heroics of the previous evening)- smashed a drive miles up the middle. Pushed hybrid pin high right. fluffed a pitch, knocked the next 6 feet past and two putted. Combination of nerves and steamed up glasses to blame - very unsettled. Poor 5 iron into the 2nd - missed pin high right. Played an excellent delicate lob to 18 inches - then duffed the putt left...
Steadied the ship thereafter, with solid pars at 3, 4, a birdie at 5 and pars at 6,7, and 8. Three putted 9, but felt the game was back in control. Cue chunked 6 iron off the 10th tee - lovely lob from 40 yards to 5 feet and sunk the putt for par. Started raining steadily - issues with steamed up glasses, grip etc. A tugged drive up 11, chunked 5iron out of the deep and muddy stuff. Lovely 9iron to 10 feet...another 3 putt. Fuming on the 12th tee and lost ball up the right. Recovered provisional, hit a nice 4 iron to 15 feet and two putt for back to back doubles. Rain gloves on by now - salvaged pars on the next two with a full flop over a bunker on 13 for a kick in 4, and a poor chip on 14, but knocked in the following 20 footer to keep the faith. Soaked to the bone - only wearing a t-shirt (doh!), could hardly swing it was so heavy with water. On the front edge in two on 15, 50 foot putt got stuck in a puddle - i wasn't really expecting to affect the ball. Cue relief, and two putt from 30 foot to save bogey. Really effed off with the conditions by now and hit another poor drive up 16 followed by chip out and pitch to green, only to 3 putt another.. Played 17 poorly but hit a reasonable pitch and holed from 10 feet for a bird. Then decent drive up 18, pitch to 10 feet. Decent attempt at the birdie. Missed the 1 foot tap-in in disgust. Game over. A pathetic 32 points.

Don't know if i should really expect much more from the season. I've done little practice but have inched from 5.2 to 4.9. Also achieved lowest ever exact (4.6 - previous best was 5.0), but i've failed to capitalise on some really good starts to rounds in the last few medals and edge that little bit lower which could have feasibly seen me finish the season off 4. Driving and short game have improved greatly this season from the last couple of years, but putting and iron play has gone backwards a little. It all came together when I was able to play 5 games in 10 days back in August - 2 comp wins, 1 runner up (scratch winner in all three) a 0.9 cut. Reaching the Semis of the club singles was also a highlight, though it was galling to be absolutely humped by a '12' handicapper despite shooting level my handicap over the 14 holes our match lasted.

All in all, frustration, but a good deal of optomism for next season.

Finished 4.9
19 OCT___81n76___CSS/72___+9____+4____t48/119___+0.1 = 4.9
05 OCT___79n74___CSS/72___+7____+2____t39/147___+0.1 = 4.8
02 OCT___76n71___CSS/72___+4____-1____t12/100___-0.1 = 4.7
18 SEP___80n75___CSS/72___+8____+1____t29/94_____0.0 = 4.8
14 SEP___NR_______CSS/69___NR____NR____t68/84___+0.1 = 4.8 (away)
28 AUG___83n78___CSS/72___+11___+6____t60/116__+0.1 = 4.7
24 AUG___77n72___CSS/72___+5____EV____t19/140___0.0 = 4.6
07 AUG___73n68___CSS/72___+1____-4_____t2/148___-0.4 = 4.6
02 AUG___73n67___CSS/71___+2____-4______1/48____-0.5 = 5.0 (away)
31 JUL____77n71___CSS/69___+8____+2____t17/49____0.0 = 5.5 (away)
27 JUL____77n72___CSS/69___+8____+3____t22/66___+0.1 = 5.5 (away)
22 JUN____80n75___CSS/72___+8____+3____t33/72___+0.1 = 5.4
16 JUN____88n83___CSS/72___+16___+11___34/37____+0.1 = 5.3
15 JUN____83n78___CSS/73___+10___+5____t56/109___+0.1 = 5.2
08 JUN____80n75___CSS/75___+5____EV____t18/141___0.0 = 5.1 (away)
01 JUN____78n73___CSS/72___+6____+1____t16/163___0.0 = 5.1
29 MAY____85n80___CSS/72___+13___+8____t75/120___+0.1 = 5.1
25 MAY____78n73___CSS/74___+4____-1____t18/153___-0.1 = 5.0 (away)
04 MAY____78n73___CSS/73___+5____EV____t15/155___0.0 = 5.1
27 APR____78n73___CSS/70___+8____+3____t22/73 ___+0.1 = 5.1 (away)
20 APR____75n70___CSS/73___+2____-3____t4/151____-0.3 = 5.0
03 APR____81n76___CSS/74___+7____+2____t20/81 ___+0.1 = 5.3
Started 5.2

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue 22 Oct 2013 - 12:39

Does anyone know what the rules or guidelines are for partly completed competitions? My guess is that it may just be down to club rules, but perhaps there are overriding (CONGU?) stipulations or at least recommendations?

Last Sunday was our last C medal and I was penultimate group out. After 14 holes it got VERY dark and there were distant flashes of lightning and rumble of thunder (but no rain yet). We were all nervous but it seemed a way off yet so we teed off the 15th .. as we walked the hole the storm was obviously getting closer, perhaps passing to one side of us but too close for comfort. Waiting for the klaxon to call us off we thankfully completed the hole and walked to the 16th tee, which is next to the half-way house (the 10th is also close) and close to the clubhouse too. By this time the rain had started too but it was the proximity of the storm that bothered us all. We looked over to the clubhouse and saw one of the pro-shop team walk out with klaxon hold it above his head, look around at the skies then  walk back inside without sounding it!

None of us were willing to continue as there was another flash off to our right where we thought the storm was passing .. and by this time the final group had caught us and were also waiting on the tee. We all were unhappy about teeing off and one of the following group wandered off to the pro shop to find out what the position was .. he came back saying we were to continue (or withdraw) unless the klaxon sounded. We were all about to give up when thankfully the klaxon DID sound and just as we got back to the clubhouse there was the biggest flash and crash of thunder I think I've ever heard, almost simultaneous.

So two points really, in my opinion they were at least 15 minutes late sounding the klaxon and someone could have been killed out there (the final crash sounded like it was over the front nine, around the 6th green where there were people still playing - thankfully no one was hurt - but my big question is, what should happen with the competition? The klaxon never sounded again to give the all clear as the torrential rain that followed flooded the greens and made them unplayable .. so of around 30 people, 9 failed to finish. One early starter was already in the clubhouse with a nett 61 (par 70). Of the 9 who didn't finish, three had completed 16 holes and actually put their cards in - the rest of us didn't even submit cards as by the time we had waited to see if we could resume, some had left.

What happened was the competition was declared valid and prizes and h/c adjustments were applied. Those of us who didn't submit a card were declared void with no adjustments and entry fee refunded. Strange thing was, one of the guys who did hand an uncompleted card in with 2 holes to play was (for h/c purposes) 4-under handicap after 16, awarded nett doubles for the last two holes, and cut 0.6! (CSS was 72)

Does any of this sound strange or would this be correct?

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Tue 22 Oct 2013 - 12:46

i think you are entitled to mark your ball and walk off the course if you feel in danger of lightning. if there is no time for play to recommence following passing of the storm, then all players cards who don't complete get ripped up, but those who did finish would still be counted. not sure about the last point - sounds strange - not sure.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Tue 22 Oct 2013 - 14:33

Not enough formal knowledge but my opinion is:

Comp committee decision about whether it was sufficiently complete to count and a bit unlucky for those caught up/out by their ruling over the call off. I think they are (entitled if not obliged) to take your card for a stableford adjustment as you still have to sign and return even when when you NR (is that irony that a non return has to be returned?). Taking an external view, if someone has beaten the CSS after only 16 holes I guess it's only right that they have their handicap adjusted as it's ultimately fairer for everyone else (on a personal note, jeez - beating CSS after 16 - I'd take that right now!). Doesn't quite sound like the full circle though if some of them did return cards and some didn't so some got cut (with no chance of winning) while others got voided and money back. Does sound strange.

You are responsible for your own safety in respect of storms but I guess the formal get off or carry on is technically their call in respect of the competition. I'm not sure you can mark, get off then come back as you wish (ie if there was no klaxon at all). I would say that it sounds very much like Klaxon Man got it wrong on this occasion though IMO and it may be worthy of a mention to your committee as it does sound dangerous.

I would have thought these days that health and safety would dictate that any thunder = off to protect the players and also protect the non meterologist pro/staff responsible for klaxoning!

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 22 Oct 2013 - 15:06

Interestingly enough I had the exact same debate with my playing partners on Sunday when we heard a rumble of thunder when we were on the 4th Tee (ultimately though said storm must have taken an Easterly turn and headed your way Davie). Several heavy showers did descend on us tho but it wasn't until after we were finished that the greens became unplayable. The result of the what would happen" debate was that none of use knew although we assumed that if the klaxon goes we get off and if it doesn't go again the comp is a non qualifier. In saying that, had I gone out early and posted a good score pre-storm then I would have been mighty cheesed off if the comp was subsequently voided.
Really don't know what to make of the guy getting cut on a 16 hole score...that does seem odd although I can kind of see the logic

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by golfermartin Tue 22 Oct 2013 - 15:08

If a player considers that there is danger from lightning, he can discontinue play (as Barra said).

The bit about the net doubles on the last two holes just means that they were "scrubs" in stableford terms since medals are treated as stablefords for handicapping purposes

golfermartin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue 22 Oct 2013 - 15:12

I guess the reasoning is as follows .. think in Stableford terms (though it was a medal) - he was already on 36 pts after 16 holes .. so he counted as no scoring on the last two holes .. but CSS was 34pts hence 2 x 0.3 cut. My thoughts were could there be a fully accurate CSS with everyone not completing - in which case shouldn't he be measured against SSS (36 pts) instead?

edit: golfermartin says pretty much the same thing

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Mon 4 Nov 2013 - 19:42

Hibbz wrote:My golf has stunk recently. I'm blaming a new job and lack of time but suspect it's not entirely the truth. I've developed an irritating habit of having a treble at some point in every round and missing the buffer zone by one every week.

Up to 6.3 now and the hopes of finishing the season at 5 are gone. Be happy to remain at 6 and this Sunday's 36 hole medal Club Championship and our sadistic head greenkeeper could easily see me up to 7. Always a hope of RO if he makes it really tough I guess.
Reckon this thread might have semi protected my handicap for the time being. Writing on it made me realise where I was going wrong and for the last couple of months I managed to restrict myself to the odd double rather than treble (whiskey and bogey).

Four consecutive rounds in the buffer were followed up on Saturday by a 2over 72 (admittedly off the yellows where CSS was 68) and a .4 cut back to 6 precisely.

Our club have decided to keep the qualifiers going through the winter so long as there are no more than 2 temps. Not sure how that lines up with CONGU's regulations on winter rules so I'll been interested to see what happens going forward.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Mon 4 Nov 2013 - 19:54

without checking i'd suggest it's unlikely congu have provision for such a circumstance and only competitions completed over a full measured course with an official SSS rating should be counting, be that from yellow tees or otherwise. our 5th green was out of action for a week or two earlier on in the season and they were using a temp green. there weren't any mens comps during the period, but i know a junior competition was deemed a non-qualifier because of it.

glad the thread has given you a wee mental boost thumbsup 

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon 4 Nov 2013 - 20:19

We had a qualifier a couple of weeks ago where one green was on a temp - about 20 yards short of the proper green

I specifically asked in the pro shop before the game if it was still a Q round and they told me that you could have up to 3 temporary greens as long as the length of the course was within the proscribed distance of the measured yards. On that day all the tees were pushed back as far as they could be, obviously to maximize the yardage lost on the temporary

I wouldn't take this tale as gospel as they've got some other choices wrong, but it does lend some credence to the story

My only complaint was that it wasn't even a proper temporary green - just a hole dug in the fairway short of the green. We didn't know if "putts" (lottery would be more like it) could have the flag left in or not - there was no definition even to the temporary green. I sank a putt of about 5 foot on that hole which felt more like a 15 footer!

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Tue 5 Nov 2013 - 12:31

Davie - I've heard the same thing about allowing up to 3 temps at my place. Any more temps and it automatically becomes non-q.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Tue 5 Nov 2013 - 13:33

SGU - CONGU wrote:13. PERMITTED ADJUSTMENT TO A MEASURED COURSE
Whilst each Affiliated Club must endeavour to maintain the length of its Measured Course for Qualifying
Competitions, Competition Play Conditions nevertheless prevail when the length of a course has been
reduced or increased in the following circumstances:
13.1 When, to allow for the use of temporary, or alternative, tees and not more than two temporary
greens:
- the length of a course has been reduced or increased by not more than 100 yards (91 metres)
from the length of the Measured Course, the Standard Scratch Score remains unaltered.
- to allow work to proceed on course alterations it may be necessary to reduce or increase the
playing length of theMeasured Course by between 100 and 300 yards (91 and 274 metres). In
these circumstances, the club must reduce or increase as the case may be the Standard Scratch
Score of the Measured Course temporarily by one stroke and report to the Union, or Area
Authority if so delegated, such alteration and appropriate reasons. The club must also notify
the Union or Area Authority when the course has been restored to its measured length and the
official Standard Scratch Score re-instated.
13.2 Any variations to the above must be referred for consideration to the Union or Area Authority if so
delegated.
Note: The permitted course length adjustments specified in Clauses 13.1 and 13.2 that apply to
courses of 18 holes are halved for Nine-Hole Qualifying Competitions.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Sun 10 Nov 2013 - 18:47

Final 36 hole 2 day comp at Trevose last week. One good(ish) round with 0.2 cut and one shocker, up 0.1. Second round like playing in a washing machine, but really enjoyed the event. Finished year on 4.9, so reduced from starting point of 5.6, after 41 qualifiers. Looking forward to winter of 4BBB and foursomes.

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Sun 8 Dec 2013 - 16:10

Hibbz wrote:
Hibbz wrote:My golf has stunk recently. I'm blaming a new job and lack of time but suspect it's not entirely the truth. I've developed an irritating habit of having a treble at some point in every round and missing the buffer zone by one every week.

Up to 6.3 now and the hopes of finishing the season at 5 are gone. Be happy to remain at 6 and this Sunday's 36 hole medal Club Championship and our sadistic head greenkeeper could easily see me up to 7. Always a hope of RO if he makes it really tough I guess.
Reckon this thread might have semi protected my handicap for the time being. Writing on it made me realise where I was going wrong and for the last couple of months I managed to restrict myself to the odd double rather than treble (whiskey and bogey).

Four consecutive rounds in the buffer were followed up on Saturday by a 2over 72 (admittedly off the yellows where CSS was 68) and a .4 cut back to 6 precisely.

Our club have decided to keep the qualifiers going through the winter so long as there are no more than 2 temps. Not sure how that lines up with CONGU's regulations on winter rules so I'll been interested to see what happens going forward.
Still qualifying here at LHGC and seems to be working out fine. The course is in fantastic condition with decent fairways and relatively smooth greens given that it's December.

I'd snuck back up to 6.3 but a 71 net 65 against a CSS of presumably 68 will get me back down to 5.7. 41pts and clubhouse leader when I left the bar with only a couple of groups left to come in. Today Matthew I will be Maverick.

Fantastic weather for the time of year isn't it?

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sun 8 Dec 2013 - 19:53

It is indeed Hibbz .. I played a Stableford qualie yesterday and our course was great for December.

Front nine was fine but I can't explain why I was so poor on the back nine - well actually 3 OOB and a water shot might explain it. I was 22 exact before the round and at worst hoped to stay there but the back nine killed me and I finish the year at 22.1

A two on our 17th though at least got me a share of the two's pot so just about got my money back. With the OOBs and water shot I contrived to "blob" 5 of the back nine holes but on the other four I manged to get 2, 3, 2 and 4 points ... inexplicable

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Tue 10 Dec 2013 - 16:11

Turns out CSS was 69 not 68 so I'm now back down to 5.5 and within striking distance of finishing the year at Cat1 which when I look back was my season aim. Have to say I feel a bit of a fraud though as I've now been cut twice since we moved to the yellow tees.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5