The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Books read - Your reviews

3 posters

Go down

Books read - Your reviews Empty Books read - Your reviews

Post by Luke Sat 02 Mar 2013, 6:43 pm

Hi all,

the title of the thread says it all. The idea is to help other members to choose what books to read. Ideally It would include type of book, plot summary, and your views of the book. It goes without saying that these reviews are people's personal opinions, if you agree or disagree then put why, as a few reviews of one book, help's to make people's mind up about weather to get it or not.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Books read - Your reviews Empty Re: Books read - Your reviews

Post by Luke Sat 02 Mar 2013, 7:02 pm

RIVER OF DESTINY - BARBARA ERSKINE.

It is a type of, ghost, thriller book I guess. Spanning 3 different times that intertwines around one place. And how the present breaks the curse.

Only one of the times is a different story (the ad 865 part), the other 2 while slightly different are the same story, which actually makes it slightly boring. It's very slow to start off with, and dosn't really pick up. It's not really that interesting. She does all 3 times at once, which at times makes it slightly confusing at times, and dosn't help the continuity of the book.
The biggest problem, is that the 1865 story and present time story's pretty much all the main characters are well selfish, loathsome characters with no redeeming parts., and you don't feel any empathy for any of them, in fact I just didn't care what happened to any of them.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 06 Mar 2013, 4:03 pm

Read Max Hastings' 'All Hell Let Loose' last summer, a single volume account of World War II (you know, the rematch of World War I with pretty much the same teams).

It's an absolutely amazing book throughout. Might be a little hard to digest if you're not the patient kind (about 750 pages, if I remember correctly, and the text size ain't very big either!) but it covers just about all events and aspects in great detail for a single volume. Hastings really does draw on an unbelievable amount of different sources and, more importantly, presents his case, evidence and conclusions without any bias either way.

I've read a fair old amount of WWII literature but I feel confident in saying that, even if you have, this book will teach you some new things about it and also change your thoughts and perceptions of at least a couple of the aspects of the conflict.

Most recently I've re-read Geoffrey C. Ward's 'Unforgivable Blackness' (about the life of Jack Johnson, former Heavyweight boxing champ for those not in the know!) and also 'Babyface Goes to Hollywood' by Andrew Gallimore, the story of another boxer Jimmy McLarnin who was one of the great sporting attractions in Depression-era America. Both good books in their own right (Gallimore's being better) but reviews for them can already be found on the boxing board.

Halfway through Barry McGuigan's autobiography right now.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Fri 15 Mar 2013, 10:37 pm

DOWN RIVER - JOHN HART

It's a thriller/Drama book. About A man, who was accused of murder, returning home after a number of years after a phone call from his old best friend. Soon after bodies start turning up..

It is well written, paced just right. The past though ever present never over powers the present. The twist is a suprise, and thankfully it dosn't stuff up the ending by bevoming over emotional, in fact the ending fits the book beautifully.

Though it's a fairly old book I would recommend it.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed 10 Apr 2013, 12:48 pm

Anathem- Neal Stephenson

Massive and intimidating, with huge tangents and deep and sometimes too much detail on a number of topics. But if you engage with it, it is fascinating with an interesting Sci-Fi story, well-developed characters, all the education you need on theoretical science and philosophy to last you forever and one of the best thought out worlds I have ever read. And some great in-jokes at the end. And a great twist.

Demanding but rewarding, if you are curious and keen to learn this is one of the best books I have read in recent years
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Wed 10 Apr 2013, 5:02 pm

SNUFF - TERRY PRACHETT

Another Sam Vimes book, this time he's on holiday in the countryside, and as always there's a crime that needs solving, a son to look after and a wife to please. Personally its not my favorite Vimes book, the first part of it is good, but it tails off in the middle, before picking up again at the end. But none of the other nightwatch characters appear that much, which sort of deprives the book of the humour they bring. The observations are as sharp as ever, and some of the new characters are well thought out.

If you like Sam Vimes you will like this, its worth a read. But personally while liking Sybil et all, i much prefer the earlier books.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down