The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who do you think Matchroom will announce?

+9
hampo17
KP4959
ONETWOFOREVER
rob-glos
Union Cane
88Chris05
Rowley
Adam D
adamk
13 posters

Go down

Who do you think Matchroom will announce? Empty Who do you think Matchroom will announce?

Post by adamk Fri 01 Mar 2013, 4:56 pm

http://news.boxrec.com/news/2013/matchroom-announce-new-signing-monday

Any idea about who this could be?

adamk

Back to top Go down

Who do you think Matchroom will announce? Empty Re: Who do you think Matchroom will announce?

Post by Adam D Fri 01 Mar 2013, 5:05 pm

darren Barker is my guess

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Who do you think Matchroom will announce? Empty Re: Who do you think Matchroom will announce?

Post by Rowley Fri 01 Mar 2013, 5:06 pm

Naz is coming back, you heard it here first.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 01 Mar 2013, 5:10 pm

It's anyone's guess, really. Scott Quigg would be fantastic, but I'm sensible enough not to hold my breath on that one.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Fri 01 Mar 2013, 5:18 pm

Bheki Moyo?
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by rob-glos Fri 01 Mar 2013, 6:22 pm

Anthony Joshua is the rumour I've seen.

He's said he's about to turn pro and he's been pretty visible on Sky the last few weeks.

On ringside last week and sat by Hearn at prizefighter...

As they're announcing Monday and then whoever it is will be fighting Saturday I reckon it's unlikely to be an established name/star.

Last edited by rob-glos on Fri 01 Mar 2013, 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added a bit...)

rob-glos

Back to top Go down

Post by rob-glos Fri 01 Mar 2013, 6:27 pm

Adam D wrote:darren Barker is my guess

Darren Barker is already signed to Matchroom and already fighting next week...

That would be a surprise announcement though.... Maybe a little anticlimactic.

rob-glos

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 01 Mar 2013, 6:37 pm

Audley or David Price?

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Fri 01 Mar 2013, 6:43 pm

If its an official announcement then it must be a big name right?

I am thinking Price or Fury

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by rob-glos Fri 01 Mar 2013, 6:52 pm

Whoever it is will be fighting next Saturday....

It isn't going to be a massive established name because of that...
You don't sign a huge star and then drop them into a bill that's already sold out.

rob-glos

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 01 Mar 2013, 6:53 pm

Unless you're Audley who hardly broke sweat during Prizefighter and is ready to shake up the World.

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Fri 01 Mar 2013, 6:56 pm

Ok then I will go with Joshua.

2016 Olympics????? Money really does talk.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 01 Mar 2013, 6:58 pm

Sounds a bit like the wrestling...keeping everyone in suspense for weeks until you realise it's only Hulk Hogan coming back again.

Back to top Go down

Post by KP4959 Sat 02 Mar 2013, 7:27 am

Just heard a rumour that it is George Groves who is signing for matchroom, also just seen BoxNation are no longer listing him fighting on March 16th

KP4959

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sat 02 Mar 2013, 7:34 am

Would be a great move for George. World title fight in 24 months?

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rob-glos Sat 02 Mar 2013, 7:51 am

Had a horrible feeling it might be Groves after I posted about Joshua last night.

There was a story on The Guardian about there being a hole in the undercard of the March 16th Warren card and the article mentione Burns and Cleverley but specifically omitted Groves.

I'll be absolutely gutted if this is the case, got tickets to Wembley in 2 weeks and Groves is one of my favourite fighters because he's all action and a bit vulnerable.

Not sure why he would do this now though, surely pick up the Euro belt and then hop over to Matchroom?

Is it feasible that the Euro fight be moved to next Saturday?

rob-glos

Back to top Go down

Post by KP4959 Sat 02 Mar 2013, 8:09 am

Pretty sure its Groves - http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/boxing/4820154/George-Groves-wants-to-leave-Frank-Warren-for-Matchroom.html

KP4959

Back to top Go down

Post by rob-glos Sat 02 Mar 2013, 8:14 am

That story being in the Sun probably makes it true unfortunately as they're Warren's rag....

Just gone back and looked at the stories about Groves joining Warren and they all say he signed a 3 year promotional contract which would run till August/September 2014.

We've seen what Frank is like with contracts in the past so if this is true I expect a wad of money will have changed hands.

rob-glos

Back to top Go down

Post by Rick James Sat 02 Mar 2013, 9:35 am

My BoxNation subscription is being cancelled today.

I know it's only £10 a month, but I've just had enough. Groves was probably the only fighter keeping me loyal to the channel.

- Buncey has become Warren's puppet, and if I really want to listen to him I can catch him for free on ESPN's 'Buncey's Boxing Podcast'
- Price recently lost, and will go back to fighting bums (hate using that term for pro boxers)
- I can catch the US fights on a stream
- Burns and Cleverly are both fighters I enjoy watching, but their careers are being severely Warren'd as he has to protect the few fighters he has left
- Just need Murray to jump ship now. But as his Martinez fight is happening in Argentina, I'll stream it anyway

Rick James

Back to top Go down

Post by rob-glos Sat 02 Mar 2013, 10:13 am

What Rick said... x 10.

If Groves is gone, so am I.

rob-glos

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sat 02 Mar 2013, 11:14 am

Murray is with Hatton promotions, haven't heard anything about him being shown on Boxnation and when on our podcast he said he knew nothing about any tv deals.

I'll keep my Boxnation as besides football it's the only sport I religiously watch and I prefer to watch cards in good quality.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 02 Mar 2013, 11:18 am

Is this the beginning of the end for Frank and BN?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Rick James Sat 02 Mar 2013, 11:19 am

hampo171 wrote:Murray is with Hatton promotions

And Price is with Maloney. What's your point?

hampo171 wrote:haven't heard anything about him being shown on Boxnation

Check their homepage: w w w . boxnation . c o m

Rick James

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sat 02 Mar 2013, 11:39 am

My point was seperated by your need for 2 quotations. As I said when we spoke to him a few weeks ago he wasn't aware of any tv deals. Things change but its not something I've seen branded about.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rick James Sat 02 Mar 2013, 11:49 am

hampo171 wrote:My point was seperated by your need for 2 quotations.

Murray being with Hatton promotions has nothing to do with you not having heard that his fight was being televised on BoxNation, so no, your point was not separated with the break down of two quotations. I broke it down to point this out to you.

As I alluded to before, Warren struck up a deal with Maloney to televise Price. No reason why the same couldn't have been done with Hatton Promotions.

hampo171 wrote:Things change but its not something I've seen branded about.

Now you know it's on BoxNation Smile

Rick James

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sat 02 Mar 2013, 12:20 pm

Rick James wrote:
Just need Murray to jump ship now. But as his Martinez fight is happening in Argentina, I'll stream it anyway

Rick this is the comment I was pointing out when I said about him being with HP. Murray is unlikely to jump ship as Hatton has been good in getting him two world title fights despite never really setting the world on fire.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rick James Sat 02 Mar 2013, 12:28 pm

hampo171 wrote:
Rick James wrote:
Just need Murray to jump ship now. But as his Martinez fight is happening in Argentina, I'll stream it anyway

Rick this is the comment I was pointing out when I said about him being with HP. Murray is unlikely to jump ship as Hatton has been good in getting him two world title fights despite never really setting the world on fire.

Doh, my bad.

Good point, and agree, Hatton has looked after Murray. Also Murray is the type of character who seems to value loyalty so see him sticking with Hatton.

So unless Hatton strikes a deal with Matchroom or BoxNation goes bust, we are unlikely to see him on another channel.

Rick James

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 02 Mar 2013, 12:48 pm

I doubt loyalty is an issue. Hatton delivers so he stays. As soon as he stops delivering he willleave. Boxers should be selfish.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by KP4959 Sat 02 Mar 2013, 1:54 pm

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned that Frank Warren has changed his company name to W.Promotions Ltd and shown accumulated losses of £4,500,000. I think Frank is struggling, he says BoxNation is breaking even can that be true? Also seen Dereck Chisora has been pulled from the March 16th show. It would be a shame because I really like BoxNation and some of Sky's coverage of boxing is pretty poor

KP4959

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 02 Mar 2013, 1:59 pm

If Boxnation goes under it won't hurt Warren.....He's like most big businessmen.....Has his money in all different companies so If one struggles he takes his money out and closes the struggler down............leaving all his creditors in schtuck..........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by KP4959 Sat 02 Mar 2013, 2:13 pm

Just heard a rumour that BT Sports may be looking to buy BoxNation to add to their recent takeover of ESPN UK. Would make sense, one of the top guys at BoxNation left there and joined BT Sports.

KP4959

Back to top Go down

Post by sweet_pea Sat 02 Mar 2013, 6:13 pm

http://www.boxingscene.com/groves-jumping-matchroom-parts-from-frank-warren--62944

cant copy paste the text but along the lines of groves having an option of terminating his contract with warren should FW fail to pay him upfront for any fights.

groves should be on next sat bill that barker headlines and also undercard of froch-kessler.
sweet_pea
sweet_pea

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down