The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Recovery

3 posters

Go down

Recovery Empty Recovery

Post by incontinentia Thu 28 Feb 2013, 12:40 pm

Hi chaps,

Seen a documentary last weekend following Irish rugby player Tommy Bowe. One part of it showed him undergoing blood tests one or two days after a workout to see if he had reccovered enough to train again. The doctor performing the test said tests on other people had shown that a game of golf or a few sets of tennis the day after a workout impaired their recovery!

I would have thought a game of golf would be pretty tame, so i guess we're better off just lying up on the couch the day after a hard squat session? I sometimes do core or shoulder work the day after a heavy compound workout, could this be doing more harm than good?

Last edited by incontinentia on Thu 28 Feb 2013, 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Recovery Empty Re: Recovery

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 28 Feb 2013, 12:49 pm

All depends on the individual..........and their capacity.......

Sometimes we can be too scientific...........Maybe Tommy Bowe didn't have the requisite sleep the night before.......Maybe he needs to go to bed earlier....

Could be many factors...............

I suppose you are using your muscles playing golf or tennis that you used the day before so they are still working...........

But life is there for enjoying..and I find not thinking about the gym too much helps in recuperation.......

Relax the mind...........relax the body..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 28 Feb 2013, 2:19 pm

incontinentia wrote:Hi chaps,

Seen a documentary last weekend following Irish rugby player Tommy Bowe. One part of it showed him undergoing blood tests one or two days after a workout to see if he had reccovered enough to train again. The doctor performing the test said tests on other people had shown that a game of golf or a few sets of tennis the day after a workout impaired their recovery!

I would have thought a game of golf would be pretty tame, so i guess we're better off just lying up on the couch the day after a hard squat session? I sometimes do core or shoulder work the day after a heavy compound workout, could this be doing more harm than good?

What was the conclusion to him recovering enough to train again? We also have to look at the difference between a pro rugby player looking to maximise their training & to perform at peak for a season & guys that are weight training/body building. Rugby players, kick/boxers & mma fighters are training the whole body in a training session compared to guys doing a 3/4/5 day split. As Truss said its an individual thing and there can be other factors to consider. Interesting though & I think this is what Vic Conte is doing now with athletes.

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu 28 Feb 2013, 4:11 pm

The doctor indicated he was ok to train again. But had his muscle damage indicators not been below a certain level he wouldnt have been allowed to.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Tue 05 Mar 2013, 6:50 pm

Agree with Truss do. I live a very active lifestyle and find that a good nights sleep with a healthy diet works wonders.

We get to hung up on getting enough protein and popping pills which I think gives you a negative outlook and disrupts recovery.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 05 Mar 2013, 11:42 pm

These sort of tests are for pro athletes at the top of their game looking to get maximum results for maximum performance not for amateurs. I agree with you on the supplements, people spend to much time looking into what they think they need to take just to hit the gym 4 days a week when what they really need is a good basic routine that works, a good basic & balanced diet and rest. To many people are fooled by the supplements industry & the fitness magazines.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 06 Mar 2013, 11:33 am

I'd just like to add, with regards to recovery, just listen to your body, if its telling you rest then rest, if its telling you're strong then train hard.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 11 Mar 2013, 6:37 pm

If I listened to my body I'd never workout.. Laugh

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down