The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Movie Battle #3 - Jokers wild!

+5
Galted
CFCNick
Crimey
The Womble
Adam D
9 posters

Go down

Who is the definitive joker on screen

Movie Battle #3 - Jokers wild!  Vote_lcap5%Movie Battle #3 - Jokers wild!  Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 1 ]
Movie Battle #3 - Jokers wild!  Vote_lcap5%Movie Battle #3 - Jokers wild!  Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 1 ]
Movie Battle #3 - Jokers wild!  Vote_lcap36%Movie Battle #3 - Jokers wild!  Vote_rcap 36% 
[ 8 ]
Movie Battle #3 - Jokers wild!  Vote_lcap54%Movie Battle #3 - Jokers wild!  Vote_rcap 54% 
[ 12 ]

Total Votes : 22

Movie Battle #3 - Jokers wild!  Empty Movie Battle #3 - Jokers wild!

Post by Adam D Mon 25 Feb 2013, 9:49 am

Hi all,

I thought I would go all Batman this morning. Now I know this poll is most probably going to go with the youngsters view but I think its worthwhile doing anyway.

Who for you gets it right when portraying the Joker on screen?

Did Cesar Romero give us the definitive Batman from the 60/70s?

Was Nicholson the right man for the job?

Or did Mark Hamill nail it in the cartoons?

Or is the fact that its the most recent incarnation that makes Ledger so good?

Let the battle commence!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Movie Battle #3 - Jokers wild!  Empty Re: Movie Battle #3 - Jokers wild!

Post by The Womble Mon 25 Feb 2013, 10:36 am

I have voted for Jack Nicholson. He is, in my opinion, far superior. He was made for the role of The Joker. He had this aura about him that made him stand out. I think the fact that Bob Kane wanted Nicholson as The Joker for about 10 years prior to making the film says it all really. When the creator of a character knows who he wants to play a film version of his arch nemesis from the outset, you don't argue with him.

An inspired piece of casting.
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 25 Feb 2013, 10:39 am

I think Heath Ledger by a mile, watching Jack Nicholson's Joker now makes it seem dated and not even close to being as psychotic or believable as Ledger's. I think unfortunately because Ledger died there will be backlash against those who say he was much better because it can be easily excusable by his death but I think Ledger's Joker, irrespective of whether he was true to comic books or not, was a much, much better villain than Nicholson's.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Mon 25 Feb 2013, 10:58 am

I went for Jack Nicholson too. As much as I love Ledger's psychotic version Jack catches the essence of the origianl character better as not just a ruthless villain but as a truly nuts individual with no logic to his decisions. I grew up on the Adam West series and the Tim Burton movies (I also love the Val Kilmer one too) The Joker, for me, has to a bit loopy as well as psychotic. Have to remember that every character in the Christopher Nolan movies are darker and edgier.

I love all Batman movies. I'm a Batman geek. But in the true essence of the original character Nicholson did the best job.

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 25 Feb 2013, 10:59 am

I accept that Nicholson's Joker perhaps catches the essence of the character envisaged in the comic books, however I think Ledger's Joker is still more interesting and more exciting to watch.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Mon 25 Feb 2013, 11:10 am

Went for Jack Nicholson as well. Heath Ledger seemed to have been told to play The Joker the way Johnny Depp would have played him, don't know what the fuss about his performance is.

Still think Cherie Blair would have made the most frightening Joker though.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Scott is Back Mon 25 Feb 2013, 11:36 am

For me its hard to judge this based on the direction Christopher Nolan took the films. I think im going to say Heath Ledger, based on the fact that i could see him slotting in to any Batman Movie/Series, whereas i think Jack Nicholson would be a bit out of place in the newer, darker films.

Scott is Back

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Mon 25 Feb 2013, 11:39 am

I want to hear the reason Mark Hamill was voted for.
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Mon 25 Feb 2013, 2:01 pm

Heath Ledger. Nicholson played himself ramped up to 11.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 25 Feb 2013, 7:49 pm

Aside from the old 60s series I grew up on the Keaton movies. Now after all these years it doesn't really interest me going back and watching Nicholsons performance wereas I can still myself in 15 years time still enjoying the ledger performance

Back to top Go down

Post by SharkSoul Mon 25 Feb 2013, 11:57 pm

I voted for Jack because for me regardless of how good I think Batman Begins, The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises are I just love the original.

Christopher Nolan is one of my favourite directors but there was just something mystical about Burtons take on Gotham circa 1989.

SharkSoul

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Tue 26 Feb 2013, 12:15 pm

crazygangwomble wrote:I want to hear the reason Mark Hamill was voted for.

I'm voting for Heath Ledger overall. Nicholson was impressive, but (a) I don't like the idea that his character killed Thomas & Martha Wayne (which gives a clue as to his relative age to Batman), and (b) similarly, I don't think the Joker should be as portly in physical appearance.

Hamill deserves to be on the list though, as he's considered by many to be the definitive voice interpretation for the character (which is also quite an acting achievement given that he sounds nothing like Mark Hamill as we know him). Perhaps even more so than Kevin Conroy as Bruce/Batman.

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down