The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any referees there?

2 posters

Go down

Any referees there? Empty Any referees there?

Post by Big Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:16 am

Apologies for pulling this out of the England v France thread, but I'd be interested to get the views of any refs among you lot.

So, during the game Tuilagi scores a try, and the commentators make a big fuss about the ball deflecting off Vunipola and suggest he was off side. Would be interested to know whether or not this is actually the case. If it was open play I'd absolutely agree, as the offside line would be defined by the kicker. However, I didn't think it was open play - it was a ruck so the offside is back foot for anyone outside the ruck, but if you are in the ruck you are fine provided that you entered from the back. As Vunipola entered the ruck legally and drove through I'd have said that it didn't matter that he was in front of the player that kicked the ball out. You could argue that he was 'out' of the ruck because the French players disintegrated in front but that (for me) would have been a really harsh decision.

Big

Back to top Go down

Any referees there? Empty Re: Any referees there?

Post by AlastairW Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:05 am

I think the golden word here is 'interpretation', specially of the laws. There could be X amount of arguments of legality or illegality, and it all hinges on the interpretation.

AlastairW

Location : Moustache twirling, cloak swishing, cackling evil English panto bad guy. The Great Destroyer of the HC.

Back to top Go down