The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My Weekend.

+2
doctor_grey
Biltong
6 posters

Go down

My Weekend. Empty My Weekend.

Post by Biltong Sun 10 Feb 2013, 1:21 am

So friday afternoon at 3pm I pack the wife, the son, the sister (who turned 50 on friday) and the baby into the car with all the necessary stuff to go away for a weekend where we would sleep in Oxwagons over the weekend and attempt our (my Son and I) newest hobby of Flyfishing.

Inside my personal stuff is my Ipad and newly acquired Mobile decoder from DSTV so that I can watch the Six Nations whilst having a campfire and braai-ing the meat whislt the women get the salads and other accompanyments together.

So comes the hour cometh the decoder and lo and behold nothing. Well I shouldn't say nothing. There is a glimmer of hope as I plug the Decoder in as it starts acquiring a signal and then after a stutter and a splurt freeze frame.

Immediately it makes me feel like I am teuly back in the good old days of Oxwagons, trekking the African continent in search of the promised land, only this time I am just trying to get enough signal to last long enough to watch rugby.

Anyway, after some serious disappointment for not being able to watch thr rugby, I take my rod and go down to the river in an attemkpt to catch some fish.

There are two guys who went in agead of me and they have already found themselves a nice spot down the river and I grab the wading stick and struggle into the river. It is bloody difficult to careen your way into the river as the stream is quite strong even though not that deep. Once again I am met with disaster as I get nothing.

So even though I haven't seen any of the rugby, well done to Wales, I really though you will get the backlash from the French loss of last week.

A Hearty congratulations to the Scots. it seems you ran away with the game a bit.

At least I will be able to watch today's game.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

My Weekend. Empty Re: My Weekend.

Post by doctor_grey Sun 10 Feb 2013, 1:38 am

Well, Biltong,
You could have been here in New Jersey and spent the day shovelling over a half metre of snow (about 18 inches for those classically and properly inclined). Yesterday, I dropped off from the snow shovelling for a few minutes to watch bits and pieces of Scotland-Italy in the morn and back to the snow. Then off to the pub to watch the France-Wales snooze-fest, then back to the house and finish the job.
Right now the temerature is about 10°F / -12°C. Nut-cutting cold.

So, please take no offense as none is intended my friend, but you do know where you can stick your iPad and fishing rod? Just checking.

What makes it worse is I was on a business trip in Asia the last week and a half. The weather in Hong Kong last weekend was delightful spring, and then I was in Manila where the temp was about 85°F / 30°C.
And, as my younger son said: "Dad, you know where you can stick your sunscreen, right old man? Just checking"

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sun 10 Feb 2013, 2:19 am

Sounds like a great couple of days! Keep up the fly fishing biltong, I've been a keen fly fisherman my whole life, runs in the family. I've actually been working as a ghillie taking people out fly fishing in Scotland as my summer job whilst at uni last few years. been great fun, met some really interesting people. But my grandad taught me and I'm glad I stuck with it because its such a brilliant hobby. What sort of fish were you after? tiger fish? Very Happy I suppose there must be brown trout in SA somewhere, British introduced them all over the world.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sun 10 Feb 2013, 2:22 am

I don't know the metric system but I'm very familiar with 18 inches doc. Whistle That's a lot of snow.

Even France are calling today's game the final so really hope it's a close and enthralling match. Good on the Welsh for winning away in France and the Scots beating Italy. But both teams are hoping for more from this tournament and I get the funny feeling France vs England could be a cracker instead of the invariable fizzer so make sure your technology is working for that one Biltong. Looking forward to today's match as well.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by kingjohn7 Sun 10 Feb 2013, 2:27 am

Bil if technology was gonna fail you at one point this 6 nations, yesterday was probably the best day for it.

kingjohn7

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun 10 Feb 2013, 2:36 am

doctor_grey wrote:

So, please take no offense as none is intended my friend, but you do know where you can stick your iPad and fishing rod? Just checking.

"

Laugh I wouldn't have mided a little snow though, it was seriously hot. Whistle
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun 10 Feb 2013, 2:38 am

bsando wrote:Sounds like a great couple of days! Keep up the fly fishing biltong, I've been a keen fly fisherman my whole life, runs in the family. I've actually been working as a ghillie taking people out fly fishing in Scotland as my summer job whilst at uni last few years. been great fun, met some really interesting people. But my grandad taught me and I'm glad I stuck with it because its such a brilliant hobby. What sort of fish were you after? tiger fish? Very Happy I suppose there must be brown trout in SA somewhere, British introduced them all over the world.

Mainly yellow fish bsando, well we are still learning, will try again in March when we go again.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sun 10 Feb 2013, 2:39 am

kingjohn7 wrote:Bil if technology was gonna fail you at one point this 6 nations, yesterday was probably the best day for it.
Yeah, that's probably true. The opening weekend had three excellent games that were not to be missed.

Yesterday...

Scotland were pretty impressive and Italy were their usual away selves.

The France/Wales games was pretty stodgy with not much in the way of creative play.

Hopefully, the Ireland/England game will be a cracker!

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down