The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Murray Targets French Open Over Davis Cup Tie

+2
Danny_1982
hawkeye
6 posters

Go down

Murray Targets French Open Over Davis Cup Tie Empty Murray Targets French Open Over Davis Cup Tie

Post by hawkeye Mon 04 Feb 2013, 10:37 pm

From the BBC site

Andy Murray chose to miss Britain's Davis Cup tie in April against Russia because he believes he can win his second major title at the French Open.

The US Open champion, 25, will focus on preparing for the clay-court season while Britain play in Coventry.

Murray said he will be available for Britain's next Davis Cup tie in September.

"I believe I have a chance of winning the French Open," said Murray.

"But to do that I need to prepare and use every single day as best as I can."

Murray has made the semi-finals of the French Open in the past, and with seven-time champion Rafael Nadal only just ready to return from a long injury lay-off, the Scot will be among the favourites this time.

"The clay-court season is extremely important for me," said Murray, who was speaking at Queen's Club where he confirmed he will return to the Aegon Championships in June.

"It's a surface that takes me a long time to get used to, it's not a surface that comes naturally to me. Grass and hard courts I feel comfortable on fairly quickly, the clay takes me a long time.

"I need to practise and train on that for a lot of hours. It's a surface where I had problems with my back last year and I had to take a pretty solid amount of time off during that season."

Murray lost to Novak Djokovic in the Australian Open final on 27 January, and admitted that his lengthy semi-final win over Roger Federer might have had an effect on his chances in the final.

"Obviously there were a few things I could have done a little bit better in the final, also the semi-final as well," he said.

"I maybe could have made it easier on myself and not had a long five-setter - I had the chance to serve for the match in the fourth set, didn't play a particularly good tie-breaker after that, so they're the sorts of things you think about and look at.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/21326796

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Murray Targets French Open Over Davis Cup Tie Empty Re: Murray Targets French Open Over Davis Cup Tie

Post by Danny_1982 Mon 04 Feb 2013, 11:14 pm

"It's a surface that takes me a long time to get used to, it's not a surface that comes naturally to me"......

To put it lightly!

It's great that he thinks he can win it. I personally disagree, but would love to be wrong.

This one is between Novak, Rafa and Roger for me.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Murray Targets French Open Over Davis Cup Tie Empty Re: Murray Targets French Open Over Davis Cup Tie

Post by LuvSports! Mon 04 Feb 2013, 11:20 pm

I'm surprised HE didn't comment on this when posting the article, maybe she is chomping at the bit to do just that, but is trying to think of the best way to put it, the most damning way possible!

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Tue 05 Feb 2013, 12:15 am

Good call from Andy. Hope he can stay fit this year, as last clay season seemed significantly hampered by the back. Despite his relatively poor clay court record, he'll be favourite to beat anyone outside about 6 players and only Djokovic and Nadal will be strong favourites. Aim has to be to stay fit, avoid losing to anyone outside the top 10 on clay and reach at least two semis from the for big tournaments. Anything beyond tha is a bonus. Hope he avoids Nadal in his quarter at the French.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Tue 05 Feb 2013, 11:51 am

I also like that he's not competing this month. He obviously thinks that Masters and the Clay season is more important than the ranking

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 05 Feb 2013, 12:44 pm

Great stuff. Great to see him getting his priorities right.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down