The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coombs to start for Wales, with Ian E?

+9
sirBiggles
Comfort
ScarletSpiderman
maestegmafia
bedfordwelsh
youngguns6
Glas a du
RubyGuby
Ospreydragon
13 posters

Go down

Coombs to start for Wales, with Ian E? Empty Coombs to start for Wales, with Ian E?

Post by Ospreydragon Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:01 pm

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/rugby-news/2013/01/30/andrew-coombs-set-for-shock-wales-start-against-ireland-91466-32714149/

Ospreydragon

Back to top Go down

Coombs to start for Wales, with Ian E? Empty Re: Coombs to start for Wales, with Ian E?

Post by Guest Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:49 pm

A a dragons fan I'd be very chuffed for him. But it would be a massive leap of faith, especially for someone who is more of a back row than a lock (OK he's played lock for us 4 times this season, but that's not a huge amount ). I can imagine the boiler house at international level being a huge step up in intensity, but Ryan Jones has done it fairly well so why not. He's a bit wee for a lock at 6'4" mind. Mike Phillips is 6'3', and would be easier to lift, so lets go for him!!!

Seriously though, if he's impressed in training then what else can you do. Give him a go, give him support and hope that fate has unearthed a new star. All the best Coombsy.

Back to top Go down

Coombs to start for Wales, with Ian E? Empty Re: Coombs to start for Wales, with Ian E?

Post by RubyGuby Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:27 pm

Turnbull and McCusker impressed in training and that's why they were chosen for the AI's thumbsdown - Feck the training - Kohn is class at a top club, his HC hames are near international standard. Rees! Jenkins - I honestly think Howley made a call this morning to Gareth Jenkins for advice steam

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:11 pm

Hames? Shire Horse now is he?

thumbsup

That's nowhere near "curling up with a strong single male" though Very Happy
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:13 pm

Glas a du wrote:Hames? Shire Horse now is he?

thumbsup

That's nowhere near "curling up with a strong single male" though Very Happy

I'll do the single male thing if I can pick the team Glas - What are your thoughts on this potential team and what would be your 8 forwards for Sat thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:19 pm

It's the worst team they could realistically picked from the squad available, if Jones and Hibbard are indeed not yet fit.

If they aren't then:
James, Owens, Jones
Evans Kohn
King Faletau Warburton
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:22 pm

Glas a du wrote:It's the worst team they could realistically picked from the squad available, if Jones and Hibbard are indeed not yet fit.

If they aren't then:
James, Owens, Jones
Evans Kohn
King Faletau Warburton

thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by youngguns6 Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:36 pm

All the best to Coombs. I hope he proves the doubters wrong. He's a 100% player and I think he will compliment the backrow well. We need a few tough nuts in the side.

youngguns6

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:38 pm

youngguns6 wrote:All the best to Coombs. I hope he proves the doubters wrong. He's a 100% player and I think he will compliment the backrow well. We need a few tough nuts in the side.

thumbsup well done Sir. Of course we must wish him well whatever our reservations. I will be ecstatic if he puts me back in my box, believe you me!
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:38 am

Glas a du wrote:It's the worst team they could realistically picked from the squad available, if Jones and Hibbard are indeed not yet fit.

If they aren't then:
James, Owens, Jones
Evans Kohn
King Faletau Warburton

I have made my dislike of the Kohn situation known (would have called up Gough if he wanted experience) so I would move King up alongside Evans and bring Shingler in at 6.

If bench warmers Jenkins and Rees start then god help us.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:54 am

I would too Bedford, but even Howley isn't going to select outside of his squad, is he...?
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:58 am

Glas a du wrote:I would too Bedford, but even Howley isn't going to select outside of his squad, is he...?

Glas,

No he won't he struggles to make the right slection with the ones he has picked, what I meant was that I would have gone for Goughie ahead of Kohn in the first place.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:00 am

Yes and me.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:24 am

Gough hasn't been great. Too old and slow now.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:34 am

I really not happy with Kohn being anywhere near the squad. However if your brringing a ringer into the welsh squad isn't the point to use them???
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by youngguns6 Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:33 am

Spider - totally agree. I wouldn't have him in the squad but if he's there use him. If he's not going to play then let a young player experience the squad life.

Happy with Coombs. I bet half the stadium won't know who he is! He's a real work horse, good skills and has that bite needed. Just praying he doesn't get a yellow!!

youngguns6

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:41 am

Kohn isnt going to change the world, but hes a bigger, younger version of Gough. EXACTLY what we need in our current situation. I dont think he'll stick around for long, but hes a short term solution to an unusual injury situation.

I'd like Ian Evans starting with Kohn, Evans coming off when he tires for James King/Ryan Jones who would be my 2 x SR/BR subs.

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:33 am

I'm disappointed that people are being so negative over Coombs. Kohn has maybe been playing well in a good Quins side, but Coombs has been playing well in a poor Dragons front five. I believe he won't let anybody down, but I guarantee any mistake he does make will be magnified by his doubters.

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:38 am

I would rather Coombs over Kohn who I think shouldn't be there anyway, if he was as good as people say why didn't England call him up?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:45 am

Risca - I am over the moon for Coombs he is a real hard working player, and will definately add some aggression to a side that has looked a bit weak in that area. From what I have seen of him in the second row this season, he seems to be very abrassive, tackles hard, and gets involved in the breakdown a lot. So given the options I am happy enough that he has been selected.

Sadly the rest of the selection, if it is true, really leaves a heap to be desired. First off why draft Kohn into the squad late on if they do not intend on using him? Surely it would have made more sense to have called up someone like Richard Kelly, Jake Ball, Mcaully Cook, or Cory Hill, as they are welsh qualified and still young enough to gain from the experience and push towards the RWC. Was Kohn yet another press attention grabber to try and deflect attention from the fact Howler has a 100% loss record for Wales?

Looking at the side, if it is the correct side, I think the Irish side will be looking to do the following. Fold Jenkins in half, kick the pen to the line, win the lineout, and roll over for a try. Then they can also capitalise on the fact Smiler is not hitting his lineout jumpers at the moment as another source of possetion to steal off us.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:58 am

I think we need to stop the rot, semi's in a world cup, grandslam, followed by 7 losses.

4 first choice locks out injured (Evans perhaps not)

I'd rather a second row (no different to coombs in the way they play really - hes just a LOT bigger and heavier) who's playing in a winning team, playing well, as opposed to a younger similar player who's nearly 5 stone lighter and a good few inches shorter, playing in a losing team.

For the current situation, I know where I'd be putting my confidence.

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by youngguns6 Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:04 pm

Risca - "I believe he won't let anybody down, but I guarantee any mistake he does make will be magnified by his doubters."

Haha very true... Scapegoat comes to mind.

It's no consistence the Dragons pack looked totally different with Coombs back. We really missed his aggressive edge. Lydaite is still a big loss at 6 and there isn't much creativity behind - that's the worries for me.

youngguns6

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:43 pm

youngguns6 wrote:Risca - "I believe he won't let anybody down, but I guarantee any mistake he does make will be magnified by his doubters."

Haha very true... Scapegoat comes to mind.

It's no consistence the Dragons pack looked totally different with Coombs back. We really missed his aggressive edge. Lydaite is still a big loss at 6 and there isn't much creativity behind - that's the worries for me.

Risca/Young Guns - Without wanting to contradict myself I think you 2 are talking a lot of sense. If Coombs can be a Bradley Davies type enforcer alongside Ianto then we may be on to something - I haven't seen enough of Coombs and am concerned because he has not hit too many headlines in the years he has been playing and if he was a Brad Thorn I think we would have heard more. With that said our front row on reflection is experienced and they will be 110% committed to the cause with some having points to prove. Each of the 8 have to be at the top of their game to provide us with a platform so we can let the backs to do the business. If we are lightweight and out of our depth early on then changes need to be made - Here's hoping thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by sirBiggles Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:48 pm

Ok, I appreciate the selection was delayed from Tuesday to Thursday, but anyone know when today the selection will be announced...

I cant concentrate... I need to know....

sirBiggles

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:52 pm

2 minutes ago

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by sirBiggles Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:00 pm

No.. stop winding me up...

Cant find anything... aaaaargh!!!! Cry

sirBiggles

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:03 pm

Named already, give it 2 mins and therell be a thread up

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by sirBiggles Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:08 pm

Just heard it on Radio Wales news... 5 changes from last outing...

Biggar; Coombes and Ian Evans starting.. So is Gethin.

No surprises in other positions..

sirBiggles

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:37 pm

1. Gethin Jenkins - 3rd choice (James, Gill)
2. Matthew Reed - 3rd choice (Hibbard, Owens)
3. Adam Jones - 1st choice
4. Andrew Coombs - 9th choice (AWJ, Charteris, Evans, BD, Kohn, R.Jones, King, Reed)
5. Ian Evans - 3rd choice (AWJ, Charteris)
6. Aaron Shingler - 3rd/4th choice - (Lydiate, R.Jones, Warburton)
7. Sam Warburton - 2nd choice (Tipuric)
8. Toby Faletau - 2nd choice (R.Jones)

Has an international team ever had to field their 9th choice lock through injury and complete coaching incompetence e before?
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by youngguns6 Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:42 pm

Where on earth did you get that from ?
Faletau 2nd choice? Warburtons 2nd choice? Rubbish.

youngguns6

Back to top Go down

Post by youngguns6 Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:43 pm

Where on earth did you get that from ?
Faletau 2nd choice? Warburtons 2nd choice? Rubbish.

youngguns6

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:44 pm

606 - that's a bit of a harsh assessment of some of the players there. Evans, Warburton, and Faletau are all first choice players. Putting them down as second or third choice is unfair. That would be like putting Halfpenny down as second or third choice fullback behind Byrne and Liam Williams, or North down as fourth choice winger behind Cuthbert, Halfpenny, and Walker.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:48 pm

I don't think 606 has been that unfair...

Tipuric is playing far better than Warbs, Jones has been better than Falatau too!!!

They are marginal calls but IMHO they deserve to be listed that way around.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:53 pm

Yep,

Ian Evans is 3rd choice. Charteris and AWJ are the first choice partnership. Evans is an excellent, experienced 3rd choice, but still 3rd.

Warbs and Faletau may be a bit harsh, but if R.Jones was fit, my backrow would have Warbs at 6, Tips 7 and Ryan 8.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_philVIII Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:55 pm

Seeing as two second rows play simultaneously then surely Ian Evans is 2nd choice...

mikey_philVIII

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonbreath Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:02 pm

Howley is just a fecking MORON. God help us. Wooden Spoon anyone?

Gethin - No form, no game time
Smiler - No form
Coombs - WTF not big enough
Evans - No game time but no choice I suppose
Warbuton - poorer form than Tips
Bigger rather than Hook toss up but Biggar is unlikely to get a decent platform from that lot Hook has more chance of creating with Poopie ball

Lightweight back row with underpowered 2nd row 2 out of form front rowers

I wonder what will happen. Absolute Nightmare its going to be a long long 6Ns

dragonbreath

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:09 pm

mikey_philVIII wrote:Seeing as two second rows play simultaneously then surely Ian Evans is 2nd choice...

He is the 3rd choice lock. In a full strength team, he would be on the bench, behind the 2 locks on the field.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:46 pm

Thats conjective as to your view point, for me 3rd choice would be AWJ as I have always stated I would start with Charteris and Evans.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:49 pm

dragonbreath wrote:Howley is just a fecking MORON. God help us. Wooden Spoon anyone?

Gethin - No form, no game time
Smiler - No form
Coombs - WTF not big enough
Evans - No game time but no choice I suppose
Warbuton - poorer form than Tips
Bigger rather than Hook toss up but Biggar is unlikely to get a decent platform from that lot Hook has more chance of creating with Poopie ball

Lightweight back row with underpowered 2nd row 2 out of form front rowers

I wonder what will happen. Absolute Nightmare its going to be a long long 6Ns

Got my bets with the bookies covered, I have my customary £10 on us to win the Slam and I have since that team announcement put £10 on us winning the spoon, I have a very bad feeling I no which one I will be closer to winning.

There is a very strong possibility that we could end this 6 Nations on a losing streak of 12 games. Surely Howley couldn't be retained then.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down