The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Joe Root for opening batsman?

+3
ShankyCricket
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
kittenv2
7 posters

Go down

Joe Root for opening batsman? Empty Joe Root for opening batsman?

Post by kittenv2 Wed 30 Jan 2013, 6:04 pm

Why when Joe Root is one of the best batsmen England have got.. do they not put him in as opening batsman?

... AND hes a Yorkshire lad!! Very Happy
kittenv2
kittenv2

Back to top Go down

Joe Root for opening batsman? Empty Re: Joe Root for opening batsman?

Post by Guest Wed 30 Jan 2013, 6:05 pm

i personally would love to see him opening the batting for england.

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 30 Jan 2013, 6:11 pm

One of the 5 best.
Obviously hes compeeting with Cook and Compton for the openers bearth, and Trott a top 3 slot.
Which of those is he better suited for one of those roles?
Youd be hard pressed to prove a case on that for anyone except Compton. So he takes Comptons job. What do you do with Compton? Drop him? Who do you bring in? Play him down the order? Why not play Root who sdeems very comfortable there and keep Compton at the top where he seems comfortable?

England are to some extent protecting Root too. Obviously long term he will move up to the top 3. Both Trott and Compton are hardly spring chickens, and Cook may get rested for a series at some point. Injuries always possible too.
he will get his chance. Right now they are seeing if he has the bottle and technique for opening test cricket to avoid a "Phil Hughes". So far hes passed the test of clearly being able to step up a gear for international cricket in two formats down the order on one tour.

I doubt he will be pushed to open too soon. Theres no need as much as anything else.
The same can be applied to ODIs, Bell and Cook are doing just dandy there, and hes having a laugh down the order....why mess with it.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by kittenv2 Wed 30 Jan 2013, 6:28 pm

If they dropped Compton down to 2nd wicket down, it would give him chance to gain more experience.. also they could put Pietersen and Bell into the middle order where we seem to have suffered lately with a shortage of runs?
kittenv2
kittenv2

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Wed 30 Jan 2013, 6:59 pm

Hopefully not so soon. Would rather see him settle down in the middle order and then move his way up. Compton deserves the NZ series, for sure.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Wed 30 Jan 2013, 9:44 pm

Compton produced some very important innings in India (without going on to get a big score). He also averaged 56 in 2011 and 99 in 2012, in the first division. Root's not yet averaging 40 in FC cricket.

I accept the fact that Compton was playing at Taunton and Root at Headingley. But Root was in Division 2 last year, so it sort of balances out. Taunton also wasn't quite the flat track it was in the Justin Langer era during the last two 'summers'.

Plus, Root looks a perfectly adept middle order player. I don't see what's wrong with him batting six if he does it well! The start to his international career has been excellent, and he's certainly a superb character. But we can't realistically expect him not to have slumps.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Wed 30 Jan 2013, 10:55 pm

Why on earth can't your best batsman (which Root clearly isn't yet anyway) bat at 5 or 6? Steve Waugh did ok there for the Aussies for a while, and Clarke/Hussey have been batting 5 and 6 recently and Australia have been doing ok. England had Thorpe at 5 for most of his career. Etc.

I don't get this argument that Root, because he's done so well so far in the middle order should be moved further up it. Neither do I get the argument that batting someone lower down the order is in anyway protecting them - it may be if your top order performs, but so far Root's good innings have come when he's been under plenty of pressure after top order failings thank you very much.

As far as I can see he is ideally suited to batting at 5 or 6 - from what I have seen he has a better technique against spin bowling than any other England player, and as an opener by trade should prove competent against the 2nd new ball which is important for a 5/6.

I think when you've got a player who likes to dominate the bowling then you want him at 3 or 4 a la Ponting/Lara/Pietersen, because he can dictate the game from there. Root seems to be more of a nurdler. I have nothing against him giving a shot at opening if Compton struggles, but I just don't see how his move up the order is automatic or inevitable in any way. If he turns out to be an excellent number 6 then why not leave him there?

The rumour is that Thorpe thinks Root is better suited to being down the order - it could be a genius spot TBH.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 30 Jan 2013, 11:40 pm

If we see him getting stranded on a lot of not outs or that hes struggling when asked to keep tail enders of the strike then thats the time to think about promoting him to 4/5.
If one or more of Trott Cook Compton is unavailable (or dropped) that would be the ideal time to try him at the top.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Thu 31 Jan 2013, 8:35 am

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:If we see him getting stranded on a lot of not outs or that hes struggling when asked to keep tail enders of the strike then thats the time to think about promoting him to 4/5.
If one or more of Trott Cook Compton is unavailable (or dropped) that would be the ideal time to try him at the top.

You're getting far too ahead of yourself Peter. The guy's played 1 Test.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 31 Jan 2013, 11:47 am

No need for now. Root is certainly a potential test opener, and the lad has shown that he has the temprament for international cricket. But Compton has done enough to get a bit of a run in the side. Besides, the number 6 spot has been a bit of a troubled one for England since Fredye Flintoff left, Root's early efforts there have been pretty good, so if Compton can really establish himself there, I'd rather have Root down at 6 for now.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 31 Jan 2013, 12:07 pm

I have no problem with Root staying at six for now...and maybe for some time to come. Compton is surely worth persevering with for now at the top of the order so there seems no urgent reason to change.
I am sorry that this configuration leaves no room for Bairstow at present , as I was impressed with him in the English summer and would like to see more of him. But these two are the men in possession , and are entitled to continue and try to lock up their spots.
Good to see decent competition for places.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Thu 31 Jan 2013, 1:07 pm

Shelsey93 wrote:
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:If we see him getting stranded on a lot of not outs or that hes struggling when asked to keep tail enders of the strike then thats the time to think about promoting him to 4/5.

You're getting far too ahead of yourself Peter. The guy's played 1 Test.
Agreed although it'd nice if you don't hype your favourite Bell too. You recently said you'd take him over Sangakkara in the Oldies' XI. Tumbleweed

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down