The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sickest 9-13 combo in recent years?

+11
LeinsterFan4life
Artful_Dodger
monwy
ChequeredJersey
Feckless Rogue
wales606
king_carlos
kingjohn7
GLove39
toml
EnglandRose
15 posters

Go down

Sickest 9-13 combo in recent years? Empty Sickest 9-13 combo in recent years?

Post by EnglandRose Sat 19 Jan 2013, 3:40 pm

9. Michelak
10. Wilkinson
12. Giteau
13. Mermoz

That's better than anything anyone has put out in recent years (including NZ and British Lions).

Wouldn't surprise me if Toulon have a clone of Gareth Edwards on the bench.

EnglandRose

Back to top Go down

Sickest 9-13 combo in recent years? Empty Re: Sickest 9-13 combo in recent years?

Post by toml Sat 19 Jan 2013, 3:42 pm

sick

toml

Back to top Go down

Sickest 9-13 combo in recent years? Empty Re: Sickest 9-13 combo in recent years?

Post by GLove39 Sat 19 Jan 2013, 3:49 pm

Could become sicker if the rumors about Carter turned out to be true..!

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by kingjohn7 Sat 19 Jan 2013, 3:50 pm

Carter=better
Nonu or SBW=better
C Smith=better.

Still very good though.

kingjohn7

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat 19 Jan 2013, 3:55 pm

That is an exceptional club backline no doubting. I've got to agree with kingjohn that 10.Carter 12.Nonu/SBW 13.Smith with any of Piri, Cowan or Aaron Smith at 9 is probably better though.

Carter is the best 10 I've seen play the game, and give Nonu/Smith a few years after their retirement to be remembered and they'll be thought of as one of the great partnerships IMO.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 19 Jan 2013, 4:04 pm

9. Aaron Smith
10. Dan Carter
12. Sonny Bill Williams
13. Conrad Smith

Nobody can beat that, and they even have the second best 12 and 10 on the bench - Nonu and Cruden
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Sat 19 Jan 2013, 4:13 pm

Hate Toulon. Spending millions trying to buy glory. Year after year more stars are brought in. But no team spirit or pride from the mercenaries. And no trophy's thankfully.

Would love Leinster to meet them so we can wipe the floor with them with our home grown boys. Gimme Sexton, D'arcy, O'Driscoll any day.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglandRose Sat 19 Jan 2013, 4:59 pm

Think I spoke to soon.

Montpellier battering them.

EnglandRose

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat 19 Jan 2013, 6:27 pm

Maybe, not sure it's much better than

Parra
James
Fofana
Rougerie/King

Or

Genia
Cooper
O'Connor
Ashley Cooper

And I'm quite happy with our 9-13 combo too
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 19 Jan 2013, 7:02 pm

Feckless Rogue wrote:Hate Toulon. Spending millions trying to buy glory. Year after year more stars are brought in. But no team spirit or pride from the mercenaries. And no trophy's thankfully.

Would love Leinster to meet them so we can wipe the floor with them with our home grown boys. Gimme Sexton, D'arcy, O'Driscoll any day.

I agree with Feckless. For me, in some ways it's nice to see Toulon not getting anywhere. Sure, they're getting some wins, but they lack that team spirit that helps to grind out the wins because there is so much disruption with new players being parachuted in all of the time. Must be both great as a coach and bad: great as you get to coach the top players, but bad because you can't get the combinations going and build momentum over a few seasons.

The more they don't win stuff the bigger the message that Galactico teams are not the way forward, and hopefully some parity across the board in terms of spend will be encouraged. We'll always have richer and poorer clubs, but Toulon are taking the biscuit!

Back to top Go down

Post by monwy Sat 19 Jan 2013, 7:48 pm

Toulon certainly seem to spend more on their stars than most, but they're hardly alone in terms of top European teams that bring in a fair amount of foreign stars. I remember last weekend someone posted that Ulster, Clermont & Toulon all had the same number of foreign born players in their starting 15, but it was only Toulon that was getting criticised.

Despite the new signings it's interesting that not many players are leaving and quite a few have been there a while now. The majority seem to be very happy there beyond the monetary aspects, in particular citing lifestyle and how the club looks after them, with a number being given a new lease of life in their careers. When I've seen them play team spirit has always seemed pretty high and most have given their all.

Not sure about the comments that they're not getting anywhere either, they've been improving in the Top 14 and HC each year for the last few. Leading the Top 14 and securing a home quarter in the HC this year.

monwy

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sat 19 Jan 2013, 8:08 pm

Michalak and Wilkinson were absolute garbage today - really really bad, particularly Wilkinson.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sat 19 Jan 2013, 8:11 pm

monwy wrote:Toulon certainly seem to spend more on their stars than most, but they're hardly alone in terms of top European teams that bring in a fair amount of foreign stars. I remember last weekend someone posted that Ulster, Clermont & Toulon all had the same number of foreign born players in their starting 15, but it was only Toulon that was getting criticised.

Despite the new signings it's interesting that not many players are leaving and quite a few have been there a while now. The majority seem to be very happy there beyond the monetary aspects, in particular citing lifestyle and how the club looks after them, with a number being given a new lease of life in their careers. When I've seen them play team spirit has always seemed pretty high and most have given their all.

Not sure about the comments that they're not getting anywhere either, they've been improving in the Top 14 and HC each year for the last few. Leading the Top 14 and securing a home quarter in the HC this year.
I don't see how Ulster could have anywhere near the same amount. Most of their starting 15 is Irish.

Last edited by LeinsterFan4life on Sat 19 Jan 2013, 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sat 19 Jan 2013, 8:13 pm

[quote="LeinsterFan4life"]
monwy wrote:I remember last weekend someone posted that Ulster, Clermont & Toulon all had the same number of foreign born players in their starting 15

Someone's been talking absolute garbage then.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by monwy Sat 19 Jan 2013, 8:48 pm

I just had a look, last weekend 7 foreign born starting for Clermont and Toulon, 6 for Ulster.

monwy

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglandRose Sat 19 Jan 2013, 8:50 pm

monwy wrote:I just had a look, last weekend 7 foreign born starting for Clermont and Toulon, 6 for Ulster.

Thats why Ireland and France had such a poor six nations and will fail again this year.

Great for their clubs, not for the nations.

EnglandRose

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sat 19 Jan 2013, 8:54 pm

EnglandRose wrote:
monwy wrote:I just had a look, last weekend 7 foreign born starting for Clermont and Toulon, 6 for Ulster.

Thats why Ireland and France had such a poor six nations and will fail again this year.

Leinster won the HC with two foreign players in the starting 15...oh but I suppose you think we "Bought the HC".

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sat 19 Jan 2013, 8:56 pm

I count 4 for Ulster?
Edit: Oh and their bench is all irish qualified too. What game are you looking at?

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sat 19 Jan 2013, 9:00 pm

I imagine he's including Irish qualified players who were born abroad - in which case you could accuse most English teams of the same especially the likes of Tigers. Today Ulster had 2 NIQ's in the team, comparing us to Toulon is laughable.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 19 Jan 2013, 9:01 pm

EnglandRose wrote:

That is like saying England are crap since Saracens (one team) are filled with South African born players.

Plus that is some prediction, to think that France will fail this year. Ireland still have Kidney in charge though.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Sat 19 Jan 2013, 9:03 pm

Surely the AB 9-13 combo in the recent test against England were the sickest combo since the AB 9-13 combo in the '95 world cup final Whistle
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sat 19 Jan 2013, 9:05 pm

Just checked Tigers team for tomorrow - They have 6 foreign born players in the starting 15, must mean England are going to fail in the 6N.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sat 19 Jan 2013, 9:07 pm

Saracens have 8 foreign born players in their starting 15 for tomorrow as well.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sat 19 Jan 2013, 9:07 pm

You do know that EnglandRose is Welsh?

It's a cunning disguise admittedly Laugh

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sat 19 Jan 2013, 9:08 pm

Cyril on 606v2 wrote:You do know that EnglandRose is Welsh?

Oh so he is trying to make the english look bad?

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sat 19 Jan 2013, 9:14 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:
Cyril on 606v2 wrote:You do know that EnglandRose is Welsh?

Oh so he is trying to make the english look bad?
Looks like it. We can normally do a good enough job ourselves Wink

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Sat 19 Jan 2013, 9:18 pm

HongKongCherry wrote:Surely the AB 9-13 combo in the recent test against England were the sickest combo since the AB 9-13 combo in the '95 world cup final Whistle

laughing clap
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 19 Jan 2013, 9:20 pm

Funny that, because all of his posts are written in a very similar style to you Cyril. A bit of split personality tom foolery?

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sat 19 Jan 2013, 9:21 pm

Griff wrote:Funny that, because all of his posts are written in a very similar style to you Cyril. A bit of split personality tom foolery?
I thought he was you, Griff. It's definitlely more your line of posting.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 19 Jan 2013, 9:26 pm

Ahh, the quip of a discovered wrongdoer!

Back to top Go down

Post by monwy Sat 19 Jan 2013, 9:58 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:
I count 4 for Ulster?
Edit: Oh and their bench is all irish qualified too. What game are you looking at?

My post says last weekend, so that was Ulster v Glasgow; Jared Payne, Ruan Pienaar, Nick Williams, Robbie Diack, John Afoa, Tom Court.

Personally I'm not having a go at any of those teams, I just think that what Toulon is doing isn't wildly different from what most other top clubs are, but they seem to get the brunt of the vilifying. Indeed last weekend one of Clermont's French born players, Bardy, plays for Portugal, so they actually had less French qualified players than Toulon, yet no one is knocking Clermont for their lack of French players and most have said they'd consider them deserved winners. It all comes across as a little snooty to me.

monwy

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sat 19 Jan 2013, 10:03 pm

monwy wrote:
LeinsterFan4life wrote:
I count 4 for Ulster?

My post says last weekend, so that was Ulster v Glasgow; Jared Payne, Ruan Pienaar, Nick Williams, Robbie Diack, John Afoa, Tom Court.

Personally I'm not having a go at any of those teams, I just think that what Toulon is doing isn't wildly different from what most other top clubs are, but they seem to get the brunt of the vilifying. Indeed last weekend one of Clermont's French born players, Bardy, plays for Portugal, so they actually had less French qualified players than Toulon, yet no one is knocking Clermont for their lack of French players and most have said they'd consider them deserved winners. It all comes across as a little snooty to me.
picard Tom Court and Robbie Diack are both Irish qualified. Court has even represented Ireland on numerous occasions.

I think we have another awop on the site

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by monwy Sat 19 Jan 2013, 10:19 pm

I didn't say anything other than foreign born. If Court has played for Ireland, then fair enough, though to be fair to me my quick check on him showed that he was born in Australia and represented sides down there till he was 26. Didn't see the bit about an Irish grandparent

Is Diack actually likely to represent Ireland? Just being eligible through residency means that players in the Clermont & Toulon tally could also probably be discounted.

Like I said, I'm not having a go at any of the teams, I just don't think people are being evenhanded in their criticism.

monwy

Back to top Go down

Post by gelodge Sun 20 Jan 2013, 3:12 am

I've nothing against the player but I'd be pretty uncomfortable with people calling Robbie Irish even if he had been capped. He hasn't though, shouldn't and hopefully never will (there really isn't a need). Claiming him as Irish before he's capped is an insult to the hard work of our many real Irish young backrow talents.

gelodge

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sun 20 Jan 2013, 12:28 pm

gelodge wrote:I've nothing against the player but I'd be pretty uncomfortable with people calling Robbie Irish even if he had been capped. He hasn't though, shouldn't and hopefully never will (there really isn't a need). Claiming him as Irish before he's capped is an insult to the hard work of our many real Irish young backrow talents.
nobody said he was irish, I said he was Irish qualified. If he was offered a call up from the irish national team, im nearly sure he would take it.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Sun 20 Jan 2013, 6:49 pm

Not suggesting he'll make the 9-13 any sicker, but just heard that Toulon have signed Castrogiovanni

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down