The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sadler's Wells

3 posters

Go down

Sadler's Wells Empty Sadler's Wells

Post by Solerina Wed 27 Apr 2011, 8:49 am

Sadler's Wells died yesterday.

You can read about it here in the Sporting Life (site may not be work friendly)

RIP Sadler's Wells : (

Solerina

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Sadler's Wells Empty Re: Sadler's Wells

Post by Grahame1971 Wed 27 Apr 2011, 9:53 am

Unfortunately these great animals cannot go on forever, but the news about the great Sadlers Wells is particularly sad as he was truly a wonderful horse. Although i didn't follow his racing career, in recent years i've been fascinated by some of his progeny, particularly the breeding lines when it comes to the National Hunt side of the sport. If you look at some of the wonderful animals that appear in this great horses breeding line .. the likes of Old Vic, Kayf Tara, Kings Theatre and Oscar are all sons of Sadlers Wells, and these lines have produced some super staying horses over the last few years. Indeed, Sadlers Wells, or his progeny sired three of the first four home in both the last two Grand Nationals, along with many winners in recent years at Cheltenham.
The death of Sadlers Wells is a massive loss .... But his line will carry on producing great horses for years to come.

Grahame1971

Back to top Go down

Post by Solerina Wed 27 Apr 2011, 11:42 am

Thanks for that Grahame.

I've just remembered...... Sadler's Wells was Istabraq's daddy, too : )

Let's see how many more, famous, high profile, jumping, sons and daughters, of Sadler's Wells we can come up with?

Solerina

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Post by Grahame1971 Wed 27 Apr 2011, 12:53 pm

I could be a bit sad here Solerina ... It would probably be my Mastermind subject ...

Of horses currently still running, i would guess (the great) Ashkazar and also Synchronised would be two of the better known sons of Sadlers Wells. Others from the past would be the likes of Theatreworld, Essex, Hills Of Aran and also Pridwell, who beat Istabraq in the Aintree Hurdle in 98.
Of course this years Grand National 2nd, Oscar Time is a grandson of Sadlers Wells, as is last years winner Dont Push It and also Comply or Die. Add to that list the likes of Oscar Whisky, Menorah, Peddlers Cross, Captain Chris, Big Zeb, Riverside Theatre, Cue Card, Hurricane Fly (pick out the 1-2-3 in this years Champion Hurdle from that list !!!!) and you can see that his 'equine genes' are worth a small fortune and will be for years to come .... Hopefully they will leave some of his progeny with their 'Crown Jewels' so the line continues for generations. Smile

Grahame1971

Back to top Go down

Post by Solerina Wed 27 Apr 2011, 1:03 pm

Thanks Grahame.......we need an <applause> smiley Very Happy

Solerina

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Post by theenigmathatisTIDALBAY Sat 30 Apr 2011, 10:13 am

i didnt know much about sadlers well until reading about all the horses that have been produced through him on the racing post web site. its crazy just how many great horses have been produced through him. i think its part of horse racing that id probably like to explore as its fascinating on which horses produce.

rip sadlers wells

theenigmathatisTIDALBAY

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down