The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stephen King - Any films worthy of the books????

+17
Mr Bounce
Diggers
ONETWOFOREVER
Soldier_Of_Fortune
Adam D
ChequeredJersey
Cyril
randy-poffo
liverbnz
Hero
The Best in the World
Kenny
Mind the windows Tino.
Galted
bluestonevedder
superflyweight
TRUSSMAN66
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Stephen King - Any films worthy of the books???? Empty Stephen King - Any films worthy of the books????

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 7 Jan 2013 - 23:02

Love this guy's books.......but the screen versions of them have been terrible......

Being honest............."It" was shocking!!!!..."The stand".. tragic!!!....Pet Semetary awful!!......even The Shining for me was a shadow on the book!!!

For me the only King film worthy of the book is MISERY.........

Although I've not seen them all...

Any films that are worthy of the books?????????

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Stephen King - Any films worthy of the books???? Empty Re: Stephen King - Any films worthy of the books????

Post by superflyweight Tue 8 Jan 2013 - 13:10

Pet Semetary awful!!......

Agreed - although Zelda scared the bejesus out of me when I was 13.

I guess the two that stand out are based on novellas rather than his full scale books - The Shawshank Redemption and Stand By Me (based on The Body). Of these, the film, Stand By Me actually eclipses the writing that it is based on.

I love The Shining but it bore little resemblance to the book. The version of The Shining that King himself was associated with was rubbish.

I'm guessing that film execs are already lining up Dr Sleep and I can imagine that 11.22.63 gathered some interest (although that would probably lend itself better to a TV Series).

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Stephen King - Any films worthy of the books???? Empty Re: Stephen King - Any films worthy of the books????

Post by bluestonevedder Tue 8 Jan 2013 - 14:06

I think Stand By Me is a very good film adaption of the book.

Any of the others.....probably not!

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 8 Jan 2013 - 14:54

Carrie, Silver Bullet, Cujo & Dolores Claiborne were all pretty decent films - though I only read Carrie & Cujo & haven't seen Carrie for many years.

Cat's Eye was also watchable though it's 3 stories with a tenuous link rather than being a proper film.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 8 Jan 2013 - 15:12

superflyweight wrote:Stand By Me (based on The Body).

Great film, real rite of passage watching that as a kid.

Links back to your 'Moving scenes' thread Trussmeister. The bit at the end of Stand By Me when Gordie LaChance learns that Chris Chambers has been killed breaking up a fight and his image fades off screen. That bit gets me every time.

I don't cry, I just have a very dusty house.

I think Carrie is an excellent film. Sissy Spacek is great in that. I think it has just been re-made as well? Shawshank Redemption is an ATG.

There was a film on over Christmas that was based on a book by Stephen King. It had Piece Brosnan and Melissa George in it. I can't remember the name, but my god it was awful. I fell asleep after about 45 minutes. Even Melissa George couldn't keep my interest.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Tue 8 Jan 2013 - 15:18

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
superflyweight wrote:Stand By Me (based on The Body).

Great film, real rite of passage watching that as a kid.

Links back to your 'Moving scenes' thread Trussmeister. The bit at the end of Stand By Me when Gordie LaChance learns that Chris Chambers has been killed breaking up a fight and his image fades off screen. That bit gets me every time.

I don't cry, I just have a very dusty house.

I think Carrie is an excellent film. Sissy Spacek is great in that. I think it has just been re-made as well? Shawshank Redemption is an ATG.

There was a film on over Christmas that was based on a book by Stephen King. It had Piece Brosnan and Melissa George in it. I can't remember the name, but my god it was awful. I fell asleep after about 45 minutes. Even Melissa George couldn't keep my interest.

Bag of Bones

And your right it was awful ........i switched it off after an hour

I think the trouble with turning a Stephen King book into a film is that there is so much going on on so many different fronts in the books that you cant squash all that into a 2 hour + film , you have to try and do the tv mini series thing and go for a good 4 - 6 hours .

Not really films then ..............but i do love Salems Lot , IT and the The Stand ...... guilty pleasures i know
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Tue 8 Jan 2013 - 16:00

My house gets a bit dusty at that bit too, Tina. I think its the way that Dreyfuss narrates the death that makes it so moving. The words are almost matter of fact but his voice together with Chris fading out of view on screen really conveys his sadness:

"Last week he entered a fast food restaurant. Just ahead of him, two men got into an argument. One of them pulled a knife. Chris who would always make the best peace tried to break it up. He was stabbed in the throat. He died almost instantly."

It then shows us him typing the following:

"Although I haven't seen him in more than ten years I know I'll miss him forever. I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anybody?"

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 8 Jan 2013 - 16:08

I'm gone. Wobbly lip time here. It is great, I can actually hear the words in my head now. The way he slows down on the "died almost instantly" part.

There are some great lines in that film. Including the immortal line during Ace Merrils 'chicken' car chase. "You let him beat you, ya cocknocker".

Cocknocker subsequently became my insult of choice for about 15 years till I learned some more adult ones.

Doesn't have the same gravitas as Dreyfuss' beautifully paced narration, but good, nevertheless!

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Tue 8 Jan 2013 - 16:11

There's also the fantastic line - "Did your folks have any kids that lived?" I still use that one.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Tue 8 Jan 2013 - 16:13

I still find it hard to believe that Vern is the guy from Sliders
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 8 Jan 2013 - 16:16

superflyweight wrote:There's also the fantastic line - "Did your folks have any kids that lived?" I still use that one.

Also Teddy DuChamp asking one of the 'hoods' if he "turned his Fruit of the Looms into a fudge factory".

Two for flinching!

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 8 Jan 2013 - 16:25

Love the short story which is" Rita Hayworth The shawshank redemption" and you aree right it is a good film......Great ending where they meet on the beach....

Forgot about that one...................

Certainly going to watch stand by me after reading the above.........

Worst film is definitely THINNER............

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by The Best in the World Tue 8 Jan 2013 - 21:26

The Shawshank Redemption is an amazing film
The Best in the World
The Best in the World

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Tue 8 Jan 2013 - 22:22

The Green Mile as well btw

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 9 Jan 2013 - 10:34

Seems like it's only the horror stuff that doesn't transfer to the screen to well..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Wed 9 Jan 2013 - 15:25

'IT' translated pretty well I thought. I haven't seen the film in about 10 years but I always thought it came across really well, especially the main character Pennywise/It.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by randy-poffo Wed 9 Jan 2013 - 20:10

The running man was a much better film than book.

randy-poffo

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Wed 9 Jan 2013 - 20:13

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Seems like it's only the horror stuff that doesn't transfer to the screen to well..

Whilst I agree the film wasn't quite as good as the book, the Shining was still an excellent film with great casting. Shame that my fave King book The Stand never made a decent film or TV version though.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed 9 Jan 2013 - 20:35

The Long Walk really should be adapted. Great read.

From Wikipedia

Frank Darabont has secured the rights to the film adaptation of the novel.[3] He said that he would "get to it one day". He plans to make it low-budget, "weird, existential, and very self contained".

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 18 Feb 2013 - 1:31

Green Mile
Shankshaw Redemption
Carrie
Misery
Stand by Me
The Shining

So... Yeah there are!
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 18 Feb 2013 - 10:44

Funnily enough King always moans about the films made of his books and yet the worst was Maximum Overdrive (best soundtrack) and he directed it!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 18 Feb 2013 - 11:28

randy-poffo wrote:The running man was a much better film than book.
No way, its a brilliant short story and a pretty average film that has none of the depth of the story. I personally think the Bachman books are Kings best work but I accept Im probably in the minority. The Long Walk is fantastic, simple but brilliant.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 18 Feb 2013 - 12:01

I think that Christine is the best of his adaptations.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 18 Feb 2013 - 14:21

The running man was a satire about society and the way it's going......

Unfortunately as Arnie himself said the director was only interested in a cheap action flick and some of the socio-messaging was left out..

I still enjoyed it though....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 20 Feb 2013 - 15:14

The Best in the World wrote:The Shawshank Redemption is an amazing film

I was surprised I had to scrolled half way down the thread to see Shawshank mentioned.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Wed 20 Feb 2013 - 15:23

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:
The Best in the World wrote:The Shawshank Redemption is an amazing film

I was surprised I had to scrolled half way down the thread to see Shawshank mentioned.

Mentioned by me in the 2nd post, SOF.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 20 Feb 2013 - 15:48

Stephen King - Any films worthy of the books???? 56390

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 20 Feb 2013 - 17:45

Desperation

Like the book it starts of great and then gets crazy. 5 out of 10

Ron Pearlmans in it tho great actor.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 20 Feb 2013 - 18:50

I've not read the book so can't compare it to the film but I personally feel the Shawshank Redemption is the single most overrated film in history.
It's OK but way too sentimental and the Morgan Freeman narrative is really grating.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 21 Feb 2013 - 9:11

Diggers wrote:I've not read the book so can't compare it to the film but I personally feel the Shawshank Redemption is the single most overrated film in history.
It's OK but way too sentimental and the Morgan Freeman narrative is really grating.

Its a great film stop being silly

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 21 Feb 2013 - 10:39

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:
Diggers wrote:I've not read the book so can't compare it to the film but I personally feel the Shawshank Redemption is the single most overrated film in history.

Its a great film stop being silly

Its just schmaltz.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 21 Feb 2013 - 10:58

Just watched Salem's lot again after twenty years and I was disappointed...

They say you should never go back...and maybe they are right.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 21 Feb 2013 - 11:39

Was the Dead Zone with Cristopher Walken a Stephen King book adaptation?

Remember it was a good film.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 21 Feb 2013 - 11:57

I liked it but it seemed to lose it's way a little............downbeat ending also..

Loved the bit where he catches the cop-serial killer by touching the last victim........

Could have been better..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Fri 22 Feb 2013 - 10:52

I liked Christine. Keith Gordon's portrayal of Arnie Cunnigham & the way his demeanour changes throughout the film is hugely underrated.

A creepy but rather good film.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 11 Apr 2013 - 14:52

Anyone seen "The Mist" with Thomas Jane? It's the first Story in "Skeleton Crew" (I think)

Frank Darabont also directed it and, as he did with Shawshank, he's added a little extra on the end that isn't in the book

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 11 Apr 2013 - 14:59

Great story....scary stuff........haven't seen the film because I didn't think it could do it justice.........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 11 Apr 2013 - 15:50

To be fair, it's been a number of years since I read it but it's a pretty decent adaptation...certainly better than "It" "The Stand" "Pet Semetary" Needful Things" etc

I'm glad they waited until movie technology improved sufficiently so that we weren't watching a load of plastic monsters sellotaped to lollipop sticks.

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu 11 Apr 2013 - 16:28

apparently there is a version of the Mist in black and white which is supposed to make it even better.

The ending was harrowing but utterly brilliant

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 11 Apr 2013 - 16:39

Adam D wrote:apparently there is a version of the Mist in black and white which is supposed to make it even better.

The ending was harrowing but utterly brilliant
That's why, if I see Darabont's name attached to stuff, I'm fairly certain to enjoy it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Tue 30 Apr 2013 - 13:42

Now I cant consider myself the best judge as I have never actually read any of his books but these films are all absolutely awesome:

It The Clown
Misery
The Shawshank Redemption
The Shining
Stand By Me
Christine

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 30 Apr 2013 - 13:47

It..........was good at the beginning and then a huge letdown.

Shawshank and Misery are two that nearly hit the mark..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 30 Apr 2013 - 13:49

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

You ever watched Stand By Me, Truss?

Best film out of that list by some distance.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Tue 30 Apr 2013 - 13:52

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:It..........was good at the beginning and then a huge letdown.

I loved It. The only thing that was a let down was Pennywise in his real form, only cuz the graphics were awful. Cant help thinking a remake could do the trick.

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 30 Apr 2013 - 14:19

These 2 make Pennywise look quite tame:

http://awkwardfamilyphotos.com/2013/04/26/insane-clown-posse/

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 30 Apr 2013 - 14:26

There is something about clowns that is scary though don't you think..........

I shiver everytime Crimey posts...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 30 Apr 2013 - 14:28

Laugh

& I cr@p myself whenever I see a picture of Cherie Blair

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 30 Apr 2013 - 17:27

True...A face only a money grabber with no morals can love..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 2 Sep 2013 - 22:10

Rewatched The Stand..........and found the production values lacking..

King's films just don't seem to age well..........

Doesn't help most seem to be made for TV movies...

Good material being wasted..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 3 Sep 2013 - 9:46

I'd like to see "Eyes of the Dragon" made into a film...as TRUSS stated there seem to be far too many made for TV movies and they generally suck. One that really teed me off is "Dolan's Cadillac" Totally wrong cast for me and the lead character was as lifeless as the desert he was working in.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next