The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

South Africa U20 training squad announced.

+2
Bathman_in_London
Biltong
6 posters

Go down

South Africa U20 training squad announced. Empty South Africa U20 training squad announced.

Post by Biltong Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:26 pm

South Africa Under-20 head coach Dawie Theron on Monday named 34 players for the latest training camp in preparation for the IRB Junior World Championships to be played in France in June. The Junior Springboks will defend the title won in South Africa last year.

The camp, to be held in Stellenbosch between 14 and 27 January, will include trials and friendly matches against the Universities of the Western Cape (UWC), Stellenbosch (Maties) and Cape Town (Ikeys).

“This is a very important camp for us,” Theron said.

“We need to settle on a squad and this will be another opportunity for us to do so. There are a lot of boxes that we will have to tick in the two weeks of the camp to make sure we are on track.

“The trials should confirm our selections and the training matches will give us a better idea of the various combinations available to us. We will also have to settle on our game plan once we have a clear understanding of our playing personnel.”

The SA Under-20s will meet UWC on 18 January, Maties on 23 January and UCT on 26 January. The friendlies will be played in Stellenbosch and Cape Town.

The SA Under-20 training squad is:

Fullbacks: Cheslin Kolbe, Tim Swiel (DHL Western Province)

Wings: Seabelo Senatla (Toyota Free State Cheetahs), Luther Obi, Sylvian Mahuza (Leopards)

Centres: Jan Serfontein, Dries Swanepoel (Vodacom Blue Bulls), Justin Gedult, JP Lewis (DHL Western Province), Tyler Fisher (KZN)

Flyhalves: Handrè Pollard (Vodacom Blue Bulls), Robert du Preez (KZN)

Scrumhalves: Kirshwin Williams (MTN Golden Lions), Hanco Venter, Stefan Ungerer (KZN)

Loose Forwards: Leneve Dames, Roelof Smit, Ruan Steenkamp (all Vodacom Blue Bulls), Albertus Smit (MTN Golden Lions), Jurie van Vuuren (DHL Western Province)

Locks: Dennis Visser, Irnè Herbst, Jacques du Plessis, Marvin Orie (all Vodacom Blue Bulls)

Props: Justin Forwood, Andrew Beerwinkel, Neethling Fouchè (all Vodacom Blue Bulls), Luan de Bruin (Toyota Free State Cheetahs), Marnè Coetzee (KZN), Sti Sithole (DHL Western Province)

Hookers: Jacques du Toit (Toyota Free State Cheetahs), Devon Martinus (MTN Golden Lions), Mornè du Plessis (KZN), Freddie Kirsten (DHL Western Province)
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

South Africa U20 training squad announced. Empty Re: South Africa U20 training squad announced.

Post by Bathman_in_London Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:32 am

I wonder how many European talent scouts will be there? Genuinely curious.

Also, for some reason the name Beerwinkel makes me laugh!

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

South Africa U20 training squad announced. Empty Re: South Africa U20 training squad announced.

Post by fa0019 Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:50 am

slightly disappointing WP didn't get more players into the side.... especially given we won the Currie Cup, Vodacom Cup, U19 and were runners up in last years U21 competition.... i.e. we have the strongest youth set up in SA.

Although give credit where is due... Dawie turned the side around.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:29 am

Any particular young players we should look out for, Biltong?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:31 am

Earl Rose

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:02 pm

Don't tell me he is still playing top level rugby?!

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:09 pm

The only player I could think of which Biltong would be willing for others to take off SA's hands.

Think he's been out of contract... tried to get one with EP but was declined.

Jokes aside I always thought he had much more talent then people gave him credit for. Properly harnessed he could have been a useful player.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:01 pm

George Carlin wrote:Any particular young players we should look out for, Biltong?

George, I haven't even had a look at the squad yet, just saw the announcement and posted it.

Will see if I can have a look at the squad at some point.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:39 pm

One player to definitely keep an eye out for is timo swiel, there is a clip on youtube from his highlights in 2010 and he looks one of the most naturally gifted players i have ever seen. Lots of pace, great hands and looks like he has a big boot on him.
This should be the link here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYT56lzoMAs

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:06 am

That kid has some serious talent.

He looks more dangerous from 15, the way he joins the line is very impressive indeed.

Now the question is: Will Heyneke Meyer allow the Boks to play running rugby like that?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:56 am

I think Pollard has more potential.

The guy is well developed for his age and only completed matric a few weeks ago.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:08 pm

Bathman_in_London wrote:I wonder how many England Rugby talent scouts will be there? Genuinely curious.

Also, for some reason the name Beerwinkel makes me laugh!

Fixed that for you.

Wink thumbsup Yahoo
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:42 pm

Biltong wrote:That kid has some serious talent.

He looks more dangerous from 15, the way he joins the line is very impressive indeed.

Now the question is: Will Heyneke Meyer allow the Boks to play running rugby like that?

Yeah saw that clip off him about a year or so ago and couldn't believe how talented he looked. There was another player from the same
school had a highlights clip and he looked equally as talented, I'll try find that one too.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down