The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

APPRECIATING MAYORGA!

+6
khantdrive
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
azania
88Chris05
Liam_Main
ONETWOFOREVER
10 posters

Go down

APPRECIATING MAYORGA! Empty APPRECIATING MAYORGA!

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Tue 26 Apr 2011, 5:25 pm

After the Cotto fight Mayorga hinted that he will retire from boxing. I don't know about you guys but I think he was a great addition to the sport. Mayorga had basic amaturish skills as a fighter but still managed to go very far in the world of boxing. I know that he was not the greatest professional but he entertained. Mayorga had some great nights in boxing having fought some of the biggest names in boxing. His win against the late great Vernon Forest will be remembered as his best win, and his efforts against Trinidad, De La Hoya, Vargas, and Mosley should also be noted. Apart from the Mosley fight Mayorga did not deserve to get those big fights but such was his popularity with fight fans big names would always call on him in order to put bums on seats. The Mayorga v De La Hoya fight build up was very funny as I remember. Mayorga brought his own style and personality to boxing and mixed it with the very best never ducked anyone. What are you're views on Mayorga the mad man.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

APPRECIATING MAYORGA! Empty Re: APPRECIATING MAYORGA!

Post by Liam_Main Tue 26 Apr 2011, 5:33 pm

A average fighter but in the build up he would always make fights exciting such a character.Mayorga would always try and get into the opponents head and try and wind- them up a bit.Had some classic fights over the years and deserves alot of credit for not ducking anyone.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 26 Apr 2011, 5:33 pm

I'm neither here nor there on him, in all honesty ONETWO. Considering his very basic skill set, winning a world title, mixing it with the company he did and scoring such a stunning win over Forrest represents one seriously successful career, however while he was an entertainer (if only for the fact that he could take a beating and keep coming forward, most of the time) his game lacked anything even approaching charm, and his absolutely vile outbursts make it hard to throw him in to that 'fan favourite nearly men' group along with the likes of Gatti, Katsidis and Ward.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Tue 26 Apr 2011, 5:38 pm

"His face is soft, like a babies bottom" Mayorga about Vargas.

Chris how can you not like this guy. I know he had limited skill and no plan b or c like other fighter but he troubled a lot of big names with his tenacity and wild angled punches. I liked him you always knew that a fight with Mayorga in it could be FOTY.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 26 Apr 2011, 5:42 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:"His face is soft, like a babies bottom" Mayorga about Vargas.

Chris how can you not like this guy. I know he had limited skill and no plan b or c like other fighter but he troubled a lot of big names with his tenacity and wild angled punches. I liked him you always knew that a fight with Mayorga in it could be FOTY.

I didn't say that I don't like him, just that I'm not fussed on him either way. Yes, he had his moments in the build ups to fights, but for every humourous comment he made there tended to be two or three outrageous ones which crossed the line and, basically, just weren't funny. As I said, I'll give him plenty of credit for making the most of what he had in the ring and his superb wins over Forrest, but I can't say I'll miss him all that much.

Oddly enough though, I was very impressed with his performance against Mosley, and actually had him winning the fight until he switched off in the twelfth.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 26 Apr 2011, 6:21 pm

He talked the talk and walked the walk. I hear he could be going into MMA. His trash talking will be MMA's gain and boxing's loss.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 26 Apr 2011, 6:25 pm

Mayorga was pretty average but made the most of it fighters wit more talent than Mayorga have achieved less so he deseves a lot of credit. The guy was great at selling fights some of his comments were a bit off but usually he was very entertaining.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by khantdrive Tue 26 Apr 2011, 9:11 pm

At his best as a welterweight he was a tough man to beat He may have been wild and undisciplined but he had a punch to rival Trinidad, had fast hand, a tough chin and was deceptively awkward. He could have probably achieved a lot more with the right trainer and a more disciplined approach to boxing. But then again, he wouldn't have been Mayorga!

khantdrive

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 27 Apr 2011, 9:18 am

Yer. If he'd stopped smoking am sure that would have helped aswell.

I liked him, had an akwardness about him that through off a few boxers. I thought he was winning the Mosley fight until the 12th.

Best wins are Six Heads, Forrest, Piccirillo and Vargas

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Wed 27 Apr 2011, 9:54 am

He didn't beat Vargas did he?

All sports need opinionated bad boys. Him and King were a dream team.
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 27 Apr 2011, 10:00 am

Am sure he did. Does anybody know. Cant check boxrec in work

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Wed 27 Apr 2011, 11:49 am

He did beat Vargas - it was Fernando's last fight and he said that would be it, win lose or draw. He lost! laughing

I have to say watching Mayorga's press conferences were hilarious because you never knew how outrageous he would be next! A proper panto villain, he gave many of the top names a bit of trouble and did well beating Forrest at his peak. You can't dispute him being the Undisputed Welterweight champ! 8)

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Wed 27 Apr 2011, 11:52 am

Yeah it's a shame to see the end of Mayorga, boxing's bad boy, bring on the next one. For having limited skills he certainly left it all out there in the ring.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down