The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Wolverine

3 posters

Go down

The Wolverine Empty The Wolverine

Post by Skydriver Thu 13 Dec 2012, 12:47 pm

A couple of striking posters have emerged recently for Wolverine's next big screen appearance, including a motion version. Might as well reproduce the URL of official website:

http://www.thewolverinemovie.com/intlie/

http://www.thewolverinemovie.com/usie/ [US version, I prefer this poster]

The plot is partly based on long-serving X-scribe Chris Claremont and pre-Dark Knight Returns Frank Miller's mini-series from the early 80's.

On a related matter, it's rumoured that Hugh Jackman will also appear in the next X-Men movie (Days of Future Past, also based on a much-loved story from the comics) and that McKellen and Stewart have already signed on. Could be a bad day for old Wolvie (with reference to the published story and the iconic cover art for one of the issues).

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

The Wolverine Empty Re: The Wolverine

Post by Morgannwg Fri 14 Dec 2012, 7:15 pm

So is this a sequel to X-men Origins: Wolverine? Or are they just forgetting about that one? He looks like he is in Japan in that first poster, in the cartoon (and comics?) he spent some time living in a remote Japanese villiage so this may be based on that...

Where did you hear of the new X-men film rumour? How do they make that work when number 3 ruined everything...
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Fri 14 Dec 2012, 7:47 pm

I heard somewhere that it's meant to follow X-Men 3 (URGH!) in terms of timeline, in that he's grieving for Jean and has left what's left of the X-Men and indeed, the country.

Yes, the mini-series on which this is apparently based is set almost entirely in Japan from memory. It features an old flame of his, whose father happens to be the head of a powerful criminal organisation - and who deems him unworthy of his daughter. Don't remember all of the details, but this was definitely due to him being a "gaijin" (foreigner) but I think also because he's a failed samurai (his bloodthirst etc is not good form). Naturally, there's also a band of ninjas (The Hand) too.

The new X-Men film is confirmed as being Days of Future Past (Matthew Vaughn has bailed but Bryan Singer is ironically back in the director's chair). I believe it's meant to follow First Class, but then the story will also lend itself to a Terminator-style look into the future, with older versions of the team battling sentinels.

Here's a feature that Empire ran (it's probably the mag and/or website from which I picked up the casting rumours too):

http://www.empireonline.com/features/days-of-future-past

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri 14 Dec 2012, 9:04 pm

Bryan Singer's story for X3 involved Sentinels. I think he could have made a good movie. IMO, x-men the Last Stand killed the franchise, in spite of being a good spectacle, it was an unacceptable way for an X-men story to end.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri 14 Dec 2012, 9:07 pm

They did do a cartoon on Days of Future Past and it was very enjoyable. I can see why Singer is going for this with the way everything ended. Smart move.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Mon 17 Dec 2012, 4:15 pm

A sentinel scene did make its way into X3 from memory - the danger room segment. Could be confusing the films, but I have a memory that both this and the whole "mutant cure" plot were lifted directly from Astonishing X-Men.

[I stopped following the various X-series many, many years ago, but bought the first 4 trade paperbacks of the "Astonishing..." title of more recent times solely because I'm a Joss Whedon fan, and thought they were brilliant... Another memory is bubbling to the surface that Joss has said "Days of Future Past" is his favourite X-Men story of all time. I'm probably in the minority, as I don't quite see what the fuss is about but will look forward to the movie anyway.]

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Wed 27 Mar 2013, 7:50 pm

First full trailer. Not sure I like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WEbzZP-_Ssc

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_philVIII Fri 29 Mar 2013, 10:52 am

It doesn't look great going by the trailer. What era is the film set in? It looks modern (events taking place after X3). In the original did he not do all this before he joined the X-men?

mikey_philVIII

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Fri 29 Mar 2013, 12:28 pm

Yes, the blurb says this confirms after X3.

Part of the backstory happens pre-X-Men - looks like he saves Mr Yashida's life (during WWII?), who now wishes to thank him by taking away his mutant powers through technology his company has developed.

It's one of those damn films that I know I'm going to pay money to see even if it turns out to be rubbish and universally panned...

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_philVIII Fri 29 Mar 2013, 8:22 pm

Same here. I can't turn down the opportunity to see Wolverine in action, especially as Jackman acts the role superbly. At least I know I'll enjoy Days of Future Past though.

mikey_philVIII

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Wed 01 May 2013, 8:08 pm

Cinema-Con trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=skYPWMM9W1A

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Tue 21 May 2013, 6:05 pm

Another trailer. With a bit more Jean Grey and a first(?) proper look at the Silver Samurai.

One or two moments in here are very reminiscent of the Claremont/Miller limited series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=th1NTVIhUQU

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Thu 13 Jun 2013, 9:53 am

This new one is introduced by "Huge" himself... Although something seems slightly wrong about him with Wolverine sideburns but speaking in his normal Aussie accent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=g7kdUy5_WlI

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum