The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Heino Cup Pool 5, Round 4: Exeter Chiefs vs Scarlets

+10
yappysnap
PenfroPete
Glas a du
ScarletSpiderman
Smirnoffpriest
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Dubbelyew L Overate
21st Century Schizoid Man
GunsGerms
Effervescing Elephant
14 posters

Go down

Heino Cup Pool 5, Round 4: Exeter Chiefs vs Scarlets Empty Heino Cup Pool 5, Round 4: Exeter Chiefs vs Scarlets

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sun 09 Dec 2012, 6:23 pm

Really looking forward to this return fixture now - there's nothing like the Welsh fans in full song, so hope a fair few of them make the trip. Plus I get to host dreamer, the Penfrons, and KiwiPete back in his guise as a closet Exe fan. Not to mention that we've got tickets to Neil Clark's testimonial event after the game, a pie, a pint (or ten) and a singalong with the players. Can't wait.

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Heino Cup Pool 5, Round 4: Exeter Chiefs vs Scarlets Empty Re: Heino Cup Pool 5, Round 4: Exeter Chiefs vs Scarlets

Post by Effervescing Elephant Mon 10 Dec 2012, 11:08 am

Sounds great As, i'm on Shopping duty the next few weekends and am only being released back into the wild for the Bath game on the 29th.

Should be a cracking game on Saturday. thumbsup Chief
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Heino Cup Pool 5, Round 4: Exeter Chiefs vs Scarlets Empty Re: Heino Cup Pool 5, Round 4: Exeter Chiefs vs Scarlets

Post by GunsGerms Mon 10 Dec 2012, 12:07 pm

Bad result for Scarlets. They looked really good at the start of the season.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 10 Dec 2012, 9:18 pm

From the Exe offy site:

Alcott set for Scarlets riposte

Exeter Chiefs may have toasted their first-ever victory in the Heineken Cup on Saturday night, but hooker Simon Alcott says he and his team-mates are already focusing their thoughts on this weekend’s return clash against the Scarlets.

An early Haydn Thomas try, as well as 17 points from fly-half Gareth Steenson, proved sufficient enough for the Devon club to head home from their trip to Wales with a notable 22-16 success.

This Saturday, though, the two teams collide once again in European Rugby’s top competition and Alcott is warning that this latest match-up will be just as tough, maybe even tougher, for the in-form Chiefs.

“Saturday was tough, but I think next week will be even tougher because no one ever wants to lose two games back-to-back,” said the 29-year-old forward. “Again, we will just have to attack it and use this week to work on things which will hopefully get us another good result.”

Exeter’s latest victory in the Principality took their winning streak to six games in all competitions and Alcott says the mood within the home camp is buoyant ahead of a busy period of fixtures.

“Getting the away win up at London Irish was a big thing for us,” he added. “As a team we always love playing at home, but sometimes you have to chuck in a few away wins as well if you want to be in top half of the league. Going into these two Cup games we’re really enjoying things and that is often when you play your best rugby.”

Alcott was one of six changes head coach Rob Baxter made to his starting line-up ahead of the weekend game at the Parc Y Scarlets. The all-action hooker was joined in the front-row by prop Hoani Tui, whilst former Scarlets star Damian Welch and England international Tom Johnson were also drafted into the visiting pack. Behind, international stars Sireli Naqelevuki and Gonzalo Camacho were also given their chance to shine.

Certainly all six players played their part in a battling display from the Chiefs who, despite having Ben Moon yellow-carded in the second period, were able to withstand some late pressure from the Scarlets to ensure victory.

“We were hanging on a bit at the end,” conceded Alcott. “We we weren’t quite as clinical as we would have liked in that last 20 minutes, but the rest of the game was pretty good from our perspective. We got off to a great start, Steeno was kicking everything from everywhere, and the boys put in a great stint.

“As I said, it was a good win not just for the club, but it was great for the fans that came to watch as well. Getting this win was something we targeted as one of our ambitions this season – and I thought we showed a lot of endeavour and a lot of fight, and we got the right result in the end.”

Tickets for Saturday’s game are currently available either online by clicking here or through the Trading Post, which is open Monday to Friday from 10am to 4pm.

Sounds like the Chiefs are expecting a strong response from the Scarlets

Chief

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Mon 10 Dec 2012, 9:25 pm

Go the Chief s

Back to top Go down

Post by Dubbelyew L Overate Mon 10 Dec 2012, 10:44 pm

There's no doubt that Scarlets were hindered by the lack of time to re-integrate their Welsh internationals and they will benefit hugely from a full week of training together. They'll be hurting from the defeat, and have more injuries to contend with, so this will be a real test of their mettle.

Chiefs will also be hurting from the penalty try, so there'll be a bit of a beasting for the tight 5 this week. I get the feeling that neither team really got to grips with the French referee, and it's Romain Poite up next so a lot could depend on which side works him out quickest.

We don't know about the injuries to Dolly and Shoey - if both are out, that'll severely affect the midfield balance - Sireli and Whits are more than solid individually, but not greatly creative.

Blimey, I'm worried. Chief

Dubbelyew L Overate

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 11 Dec 2012, 8:01 pm

Rob Baxter expecting a backlash too in the WMN:

Rob Baxter predicting a 'storm' this weekend as Welsh outfit seek revenge on his Exeter side

Exeter Chiefs head coach Rob Baxter believes his side can expect a backlash from Scarlets as the two sides meet again at Sandy Park on Saturday in the Heineken Cup (3.40pm).

The format of the European competition hands clubs back-to-back fixtures against each other in rounds three and four over successive weekends.

That means the Chiefs will be seeking a quick repeat of their 22-16 victory over the Welshmen at Llanelli's Parc y Scarlets last Saturday.

"One thing we know is that we have got a bit of a storm coming at us this weekend," said Baxter.

"Winning the first game almost makes the second game tougher, but that is the nature of the beast.

"We have been involved in those types of situations a few times at Exeter, so we know it is going to be tough, but we are enjoying the Heineken Cup because it is tough, and a step up in intensity, and you have got to make sure the players are thriving on it."

Baxter will be hoping that fly-half Gareth Steenson has another great day at the office, if selected, on Saturday, after his 100 per cent kicking record from six attempts in west Wales saw him finish the game with 17 points.

"He didn't miss, and if your goalkicker is knocking them over like that, and you can create some pressure situations. It is amazing how quickly you can build a score," said Baxter.

"I think the guys took good decisions about how we built that score, and how we created some platforms, and ultimately that won us the game."

Exeter's most realistic target in the competition now is to finish in second place in Pool Five, and possibly secure a spot in the quarter-finals of the Amlin Challenge Cup, which is handed to the third, fourth and fifth best runners-up in the Heineken Cup pools.

Clermont Auvergne beat Leinster 15-12 last Sunday, and ideally Exeter would like to see the Frenchmen win again against the Heineken Cup holders in Dublin when the two sides meet once more this Saturday.

Scarlets' hopes of progressing in the competition are now over, after three straight defeats, but head coach Simon Easterby is keen for his side to get back to winning ways before they resume their fixtures in the RaboDirect Pro12, where they currently lie second behind Ulster.

"The trip to Exeter is about getting a bit of momentum back and taking some of the positives we had in the second half last Saturday into the game down there," said the former Ireland back row.

"We felt we missed some opportunities in the first half and we created a little bit which we didn't finish, so we need to improve our execution and accuracy.

"We want to take some momentum into the busy Pro12 Christmas period, when we have got some huge games.

"If we can get a good performance at Exeter, we can take that into our matches away to Cardiff Blues, the Ospreys and Ulster."

Two players who will almost certainly be missing for the Scarlets on Saturday are Wales internationals Rhys Priestland and Aaron Shingler, who both featured in the recent defeat by Australia at the Millennium Stadium.

Fly-half Priestland was stretchered off with an Achilles injury early in the second half against Exeter, while Shingler limped off just before the end of the contest with a groin problem.

However, the Scarlets should be able to call on seven other Welshmen who faced the Wallabies, including skipper Jonathan Davies and former British Lions hooker Matthew Rees.

Exeter lock James Hanks, centre Phil Dollman and winger/full-back Jack Nowell should all be available for selection against Scarlets, after being rested for last weekend's game, but there is a doubt over scrum-half Haydn Thomas, who had to go off in the early stages at Parc y Scarlets, soon after scoring his second try in two games.

Will be mighty concerned if we are missing both Haydn and Chudders at scrumhalf - both Kevin Barrett and Junior Polu have some strong qualities, but controlling the tempo of a game and consistent, quality distribution aren't things that I would associate with the pair as I would with Thomas and Chudley

Chief

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 13 Dec 2012, 6:57 am

Another couple of contract extensions announced this morning at the Chiefs to hearten the squad - James Hanks and Ben White have put pen to paper joining Carl Rimmer, Phil Dolman, Will Chudley, Chris Whitehad, Luke Cowan-Dickie, Haydn Thomas and Tom Johnson in committing their near-term future to the Exe cause. Great news (still another 15 odd out of contract at the end of the season tho)

Chief

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu 13 Dec 2012, 11:35 am

Should be a good game - such a shame I'm not going down...

I think we should play a lot better with the squad more integrated, even with the injuries. Looks like Lee should be fit, and Shingler may be.

But I think we'll have North and maybe Stodds (not sure) as well. I really hope we have Vallejos and Snyman back, and we'll also have Ball which should make a big difference as well.

Either way it'll be another tough game against a good Exeter side - but we absolutely have to win, otherwise our hard earned HEC ranking points we've earned against Perpingnan, Saints, LI, R Metro and the like could be lost.

Hope it's a good game and the ref doesn't spoil it

Ymlaen Sgarlets!

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 13 Dec 2012, 3:45 pm

Priest - As much as I like what I have seen from Ball, I am not too sure he is ready, it was only a few weeks ago he was playing for the semi-pros because he was unfit.

I do think it will be intersting to see if we do come back like a wounded animal or if Exeter show us what they can do with home advantage. I really hope that the poor defencive showing last week was down to players trying to get back into the system, otherwise the next month is going to be very painful.

Oh anyone know if this match is on Sky?
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu 13 Dec 2012, 3:59 pm

There's no doubt that Scarlets were hindered by the lack of time to re-integrate their Welsh internationals and they will benefit hugely from a full week of training together.

can you help me, was that supposed to be read with a hint of sarcasm? chin

watch out Chief

Mad Westerners on their way!

Spoiler:

I was in the posh stand last week. The only Western song I could remember was 'Rawhide' and nobody was joining in steam
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu 13 Dec 2012, 4:10 pm

why would it be sarcasm? (or is your question sarcasm? Shocked Help I'm confused!)

I'm sure most people would agree that having more time to bed in defensive and offensive systems and things like Lineout calls is for the better not the worse?

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu 13 Dec 2012, 4:22 pm

Don't now, you're cracking me up mun! Very Happy
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Dubbelyew L Overate Thu 13 Dec 2012, 4:38 pm

No sarcasm intended, just respect.

Not much injury news coming out of the Chiefs camp as usual, except that Whitehead is out for 3 months and Ben White is now available. Jack Nowell has been on England U-20's camp this week, so is unlikely to be selected.

A report in the local paper suggests that Rob Baxter is going to tinker with the team, though. I guess Hanks and Dollman will come back but I've little idea about any other changes.

http://www.thisisexeter.co.uk/Rob-Baxter-set-tinker-Exeter-Chiefs-Scarlets/story-17577650-detail/story.html

Spiderman, it's on red button.

Glas, how about "3 wheels on my wagon"

Dubbelyew L Overate

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 13 Dec 2012, 5:50 pm

Dubbelyew L Overate wrote:No sarcasm intended, just respect.

Not much injury news coming out of the Chiefs camp as usual, except that Whitehead is out for 3 months and Ben White is now available. Jack Nowell has been on England U-20's camp this week, so is unlikely to be selected.

A report in the local paper suggests that Rob Baxter is going to tinker with the team, though. I guess Hanks and Dollman will come back but I've little idea about any other changes.

http://www.thisisexeter.co.uk/Rob-Baxter-set-tinker-Exeter-Chiefs-Scarlets/story-17577650-detail/story.html

Is that you on the Tribe, CD?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu 13 Dec 2012, 6:41 pm

music I wars boarun oundur a woundouren staur...music
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Dubbelyew L Overate Thu 13 Dec 2012, 7:19 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
Dubbelyew L Overate wrote:No sarcasm intended, just respect.

Is that you on the Tribe, CD?

I just lurk thereabouts, the company is far too exalted, not even STH, me. BTW, Exe at 1000/1 to win HC - invest £100 and Bob's your HNWI uncle. Smile

WO OH OH, WO HO HO - at least I think that's how they spell the Tomahawk Chop on the big screens at Sandy Park. Rolling Eyes Chief Shocked

Dubbelyew L Overate

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 14 Dec 2012, 8:32 am

Dubbelyew L Overate - Cheers mate OK
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 14 Dec 2012, 9:48 am

CD Laugh I've said my piece, the good folks of the Tribe can take it or leave it!!

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 14 Dec 2012, 1:26 pm

Scarlets

Li Williams
G North
J Davies (c)
S Williams
G Maule
A Thomas
A Davies

S Hopkins
K Owens
S Lee
S Timani
R Kelly
G Earl
J Edwards
K Murphy

(Bench-: M Rees, R Jones, D Manu, J Snyman, T Valejos, T Knoyle, D Newton, K Phillips)

Last edited by ScarletSpiderman on Fri 14 Dec 2012, 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot Maule)
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 14 Dec 2012, 1:28 pm

Quite a few changes for Exe this week:

15 Phil Dollman
14 Jack Nowell
13 Sireli Naqelevuki
12 Ian Whitten
11 Gonzalo Camacho
10 Gareth Steenson
9 Haydn Thomas
1 Brett Sturgess
2 Simon Alcott
3 Hoani Tui
4 Aly Muldowney
5 James Hanks
6 Dean Mumm
7 James Scaysbrook (capt)
8 Tom Johnson

16 Neil Clark
17 Ben Moon
18 Carl Rimmer
19 Damian Welch
20 Ben White
21 Kevin Barrett
22 Ignacio Mieres
23 Luke Arscott

Shoey, Jessy and Skywalker rested in the backs, so in come Whitts, young Jack Nowell and Dolly. In the pack, Captain Fantastic and the perennial workhorse Richie B both get a break too

Chief

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 14 Dec 2012, 1:29 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Scarlets

Li Williams
G North
J Davies (c)
S Williams
A Thomas
A Davies

S Hopkins
K Owens
S Lee
S Timani
R Kelly
G Earl
J Edwards
K Murphy

(Bench-: M Rees, R Jones, D Manu, J Snyman, T Valejos, T Knoyle, D Newton, K Phillips)
Are you missing a back, Spidey?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 14 Dec 2012, 1:40 pm

ASBO - I think the plan is to play a man down from the start, and then claim we would have beaten you if we feilded a full XV.

Yeah I forgot Gareth Maule on the wing. To be perfectly honest that Scarlets team doesn't fill me with much hope. I have looked at the players 'unavilable due to injury list' and I am a bit confused why there is no Andy Fenby or Morgan Stoddart on the wing.

Players not available for selection through injury: Gareth Davies (neck strain), Josh Turnbull (knee), Rob McCusker (ankle), Jordan Williams (shoulder), Emyr Phillips (neck), Aaron Shingler (groin), Rhys Priestland (Achilles).
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Fri 14 Dec 2012, 1:59 pm

2 and a half hours and I'm out of the office. Really looking forward to getting down to Exeter tomorrow the weekend and sampling the Sandy Park atmosphere and of course ASBO's 'hospitality' cider
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 14 Dec 2012, 2:33 pm

What's wrong with Phil John? am very surprised he's not in the team.

Yeah I was hoping to see Stodds playing, though (I think it was) Penfro who mentioned he was being rested for 3 weeks to manage his recovery. But why then isn't Fenby in the team! (and if we're down so many wingers, why is Reynolds with Llanelli, together with Ball, Owen Williams and Gareth Davies?)

It doesn't look a great team I've got to say. I was hoping for Knoyle/Gareth D and Newton as the halfbacks (though can understand going for Aled Thomas) as I think Newton's looked good when he's played this season.

I thought Timani was naturally a 6, so surprised they've disrupted a very good partnership between Earle and Kelly, to move Earle (a lock) to 6, in place of Timani.

Another point - what's happened to Adriaanse?

Is Easterby thinking all is lost and saving his players for the xmas derbies?

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 14 Dec 2012, 2:39 pm

Priest - I have to say that I would have thought with Priestland being out, Gareth Owen would have been involved somewhere too.

I have a bit of a feeling that we have written this off (like we may have done last week), and decided to give some players a bit of a rest up. I really hope that is not the case but it certainly feels like we are going to focus on the league and to hell with anything else.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 14 Dec 2012, 2:54 pm

Yeah as you say the team selected (especially with the players we have seemingly fit) does not scream that we're going all out to win the game and show last week was a blip.

Hopefully though this means we can get maximum points from our Christmas derbies while Ulster slip up to Connacht and one of Munster/Leinster.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 14 Dec 2012, 4:12 pm

Surely it doesn't matter who you pick, they're all just there to cheer on North anyways. Whistle

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 14 Dec 2012, 4:55 pm

This isn't the Wales team - we don't just throw the ball to North and expect him to do everything... Very Happy

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sat 15 Dec 2012, 7:42 pm

...erm
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 15 Dec 2012, 8:01 pm

Well done Exeter! Unlucky George.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sat 15 Dec 2012, 8:04 pm

Very Happy
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sat 15 Dec 2012, 8:06 pm

They pulled him off just when he was most needed Heino Cup Pool 5, Round 4: Exeter Chiefs vs Scarlets 1054138444
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sat 15 Dec 2012, 8:09 pm

Oh well another rubbish loss. Any positives from this for the Scarlets?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 15 Dec 2012, 8:12 pm

Glas a du wrote:They pulled him off just when he was most needed Heino Cup Pool 5, Round 4: Exeter Chiefs vs Scarlets 1054138444

Shocked Story of my life!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sat 15 Dec 2012, 8:16 pm

Exeter are a good team, no stand out individuals (except maybe Gazpatcho) and play a good brand of rugby. The Scarlets scored two cracking tries and put themselves in a position to win it after two sloppy concessions in the first quarter. There was nothing on this. Easterly showed that with his substitutions and the Scarlets lost the momentum they built.

There are worse teams to lose to. I have a sneaking admiration for the chiefs and their set up.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Sun 16 Dec 2012, 12:27 am

Glas a du wrote:Exeter are a good team, no stand out individuals (except maybe Gazpatcho) and play a good brand of rugby. The Scarlets scored two cracking tries and put themselves in a position to win it after two sloppy concessions in the first quarter. There was nothing on this. Easterly showed that with his substitutions and the Scarlets lost the momentum they built.

There are worse teams to lose to. I have a sneaking admiration for the chiefs and their set up.

Not knocking that comment Glas, but I have outright admiration for what Exeter have achieved. They have worked bloody hard on and off the pitch to get to where they are.

I have to go to Exe for work reasons at least once a month, and that city is rightly proud of their rugby team.

OK

Commisserations to the Scarlets fans. You'll be back.

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Sun 16 Dec 2012, 6:12 pm

Just back from a great weekend down at ASBO's . Just wanted to say how impressed I was with my first (not last) visit to Sandy Park. Great ground, great fans, great banter thumbsup

Thanks again to ASBO and his family for a wonderful weekend Hug

Nadolig Llawen a Blwyddyn Newydd Dda Heino Cup Pool 5, Round 4: Exeter Chiefs vs Scarlets 3845856932
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sun 16 Dec 2012, 9:42 pm

Very very happy with our result, thought we went about our business clinically too. Scarlets are not second in the Rabo for nothing, but once again Rob Baxter had us playing a game plan that was ideal. He really is a superb coach and I dread the day we lose him. Our boys play for him, as evidenced in the Wigwam bar chat afterwards - much to be proud of

Chief

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 18 Dec 2012, 8:00 am

The regions could learn a lot from Exeter. I know isolation is a big plus for you which we don't have, but you behave more like a region than our regions!
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin_dave Tue 18 Dec 2012, 6:50 pm

Dear Scarlets.

We need you to pull something out of the bag v Clermont after rolling over land having your bellies tickled the week before at the RDS.

You will be paid back with endless free stout on the 23rd of February in Dublin

Can this be arranged?

dublin_dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 18 Dec 2012, 6:59 pm

We will win one game, but you'll have to up your offer...
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down