The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is the Olympic Stadium Saracens' real objective?

5 posters

Go down

Is the Olympic Stadium Saracens' real objective? Empty Is the Olympic Stadium Saracens' real objective?

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Wed 05 Dec 2012, 6:09 pm

Given that Barnet is a flexible 5-10000 site and that the Sarries' 'experience' is more global than local, would not a partnership with West Ham not be more realistic?

And leave it nearer its traditional roots

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Is the Olympic Stadium Saracens' real objective? Empty Re: Is the Olympic Stadium Saracens' real objective?

Post by doctor_grey Wed 05 Dec 2012, 7:24 pm

If I recall - and this goes back a number of years now - that Sarries were offered the Olympic Stadium as a home and they turned it down. I don't remotely remember if any financials were discussed at the time, so it is hard to say if it was unaffordable. But I do rememeber the size was considered a problem even with the top tier removed. Also the distance from the pitch was also considered a negative because the proposal included on-going use of the track. Shame because it that was discussed in the design stages, removable seating which would go over the track could have been built into the original design. I think it was also offered to Wasps.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Is the Olympic Stadium Saracens' real objective? Empty Re: Is the Olympic Stadium Saracens' real objective?

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 05 Dec 2012, 7:28 pm

Have they considered using the Millenium?

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 05 Dec 2012, 7:49 pm

Millennium is already booked out. New office for the PRGB.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 05 Dec 2012, 8:09 pm

SecretFly wrote:Millennium is already booked out. New office for the PRGB.

A desk in the middle of the pitch?

Why would Sarries want the Olympic stadium? They seem to have a decent relationship with Wembly and Barnet is the right size for them for now.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Wed 05 Dec 2012, 8:13 pm

doctor_grey wrote:If I recall - and this goes back a number of years now - that Sarries were offered the Olympic Stadium as a home and they turned it down. I don't remotely remember if any financials were discussed at the time, so it is hard to say if it was unaffordable. But I do rememeber the size was considered a problem even with the top tier removed. Also the distance from the pitch was also considered a negative because the proposal included on-going use of the track. Shame because it that was discussed in the design stages, removable seating which would go over the track could have been built into the original design. I think it was also offered to Wasps.

Given that legacy was such a large part of the initial bid, it seems strange that such essential design constraints were not built in.
The OS just seems to be such a natural home for a club like Sarries with its aspirations and its experience of ground sharing.

The Barnet project just seems so conservative somehow.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed 05 Dec 2012, 8:55 pm

I agree. Barnet seems a bit small and unabitious. But, one thing we know about Sarries management, they have a plan.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 05 Dec 2012, 9:25 pm

Barnet plan is quite sensible, as has been noted they have access to a ridiculous stadium for the odd cash cow game and a relatively cheap to run one that wont overload them with liability for games that are unlikely to require 90,000 seats

If you look at all the political wrangling involved with the Olympic stadium theyve done well to be out of it.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down