The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What one thing would you change to each of the top 10 players to make them better or more exciting?

+2
Mad for Chelsea
TopoftheChops
6 posters

Go down

What one thing would you change to each of the top 10 players to make them better or more exciting? Empty What one thing would you change to each of the top 10 players to make them better or more exciting?

Post by TopoftheChops Sun 24 Apr - 11:05

Nadal- Speed his game up
Djokovic- Better serving
Federer- Give him more freedom to play, less no. 1 stuff so less pressure
Murray-Better mental strength
Soderling-More variety on pace of shots
Ferrer- Better adaption to other courts apart from clay
Berdych-Same as Soderling
Melzer- More consistent play, something's good, something's average at the moment
Monfils- Consistency needs to be improved as well, less showboating
Fish- Better ground stroke play

These are my changes, but what would be yours?

TopoftheChops

Back to top Go down

What one thing would you change to each of the top 10 players to make them better or more exciting? Empty Re: What one thing would you change to each of the top 10 players to make them better or more exciting?

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sun 24 Apr - 11:54

Nadal - a grand slam on carpet. Don't get me wrong he's a terrific player who I admire tremendously but sometimes his ability to get back into rallies with a heavy top spin cross court forehand is a bit dull. On carpet the bounce isn't high enough for him to do that, hence his poor record on the stuff. If there were a slam on the surface though he'd naturally work on his game and turn himself into a contender (he's certainly a good enough tennis player to do so), and this new Nadal would be more exciting IMO (and a better player).

Djokovic - not much in his game that needs improving I don't think, maybe a better volley? Oh and get rid of those silly endless ball bounces before the serve.

Federer - more humility. The guy has a streak of arrogance which while he was winning was a good thing but now I think gets in the way of improvements he could make to his game. Also seems unwilling to change his game-plan when it's not working (if you're shanking the backhands why not slice a few more?)

Murray - a slam? or is that not allowed. More confidence then. Confidence to be the agressor (you're the best volleyer in the top 5, why don't you get into the net more? you're good enough to dictate play, should do it more often, etc.) Confidence in his own ability mostly.

Soderling - variety, any sort of variety, be it a decent volley, a sliced backhand, anything but "hit the ball as hard as you can every time" tactics. It would improve his game AND make it more exciting (I admit I find him dull as dishwater).

Ferrer - the willingness to go for the improbable shot. He's a very fine tennis player whom I enjoy watching, but don't find particularly exciting. If you watch his games, nearly every shot he hits is high percentage. Rarely hits a shot which makes you gasp as the top 5 sometimes do. This would add some unpredictability to his game.

Berdych - a tennis brain. Fine shot maker and has a bit more variety than Soderling, but zero tactical accumen. Can't change his game plan, struggles to adapt to his opponent. Needs to think more.

Melzer - not sure, consistency would improve his game but make him les exciting IMO (part of the fun of watching Jurgen is the unpredictability factor). A better cross court forehand maybe?

Monfils - MORE ATTACKING PLAY!!!! anyone remember him blowing Nadal off the court in Doha a few years ago (2009 I think). Should play like this all the time and has the ability too, with a massive forehand. Instead, sits five yards behind the baseline, pushes the ball back and relies on his (admittedly very fine) athletic ability.

Fish - more consistency in the groundstrokes. They can be very good, he can hit winners from both sides but makes way too many errors from the back of the court.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

What one thing would you change to each of the top 10 players to make them better or more exciting? Empty Re: What one thing would you change to each of the top 10 players to make them better or more exciting?

Post by graf_the_greatest Sun 24 Apr - 14:09

Nadal - ability to hit the ball flatter against players like Del Potro
Djokovic - the serve
Federer - come forward more in matches, also use the backhand slice more
Murray - flatten out the forehand, improve mental strength, dictate play
Soderling - consistency & speed around the court
Ferrer - volley
Berdych - mental strength
Melzer - control of his temper
Monfils - less defensive play
Fish - better mobility to match his attacking style of play

graf_the_greatest

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 24 Apr - 17:49

Nadal-bigger serve, its good now but if he had a truely great first serve, lights out rest of the tour
Djokovic-Again more free points on first serve, has a good second but lacks that killer 1st serve
Federer-be able to handle the high and heavy backhand better
Murray-attitude and forehand
Soderling-speed and volleys
Ferrer-more power in general
Berdych-better speed
Melzer-better second serve
Monfils-get close to the line and be more aggressive with the court positioning
Fish-more speed

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by yummymummy Sun 24 Apr - 18:32

Nadal - curb his OCD behaviour
Djoko - stop the clowning
Federer - stop his shanking
Murray = give his head a good clear-out
Soderling - Improve his movement around the court
Ferrer - The belief to overcome Nadal
Berdych - A whole new game
Mlezer - Cut off his pony=tail
Monfils - Improve his volley

yummymummy

Back to top Go down

Post by I AM AWESOME Sun 24 Apr - 19:49

Nadal- Be less boring
Djokovic- Stop those godamn ball bouncing and be more consistent (Apart from these last few months and 07-08, he really hasn't done much)
Federer- Nothing to improve, is the tennis God
Murray- Sort out his temper and stop being such a pusher, be agressive.
Soderling- Erm, try something else out apart from just thumping the ball as hard as you can?
Berdych- Develop a tennis brain
Ferrer- Stop being such a pusher
Melzer- Stop acting like the ''tough'' guy
Monfils- Erm stop being scared of the pace of the ball.

I AM AWESOME

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down