The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fury, Degale, Eubank and Channel 5 Boxing

+24
Big Paul
Snakeyman123
Mr Bounce
kevchadders
hogey
Jab to An MD
Melkor
John Bloody Wayne
superflyweight
spencerclarke
sherm
Lumbering_Jack
Fists of Fury
Sugar Boy Sweetie
mobilemaster8
jimdig
owen10ozzy
AlexHuckerby
Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake
TRUSSMAN66
Steffan
seanmichaels
lfc91
Seanusarrilius
28 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Fury, Degale, Eubank and Channel 5 Boxing - Page 2 Empty Fury, Degale, Eubank and Channel 5 Boxing

Post by Seanusarrilius Sun 2 Dec - 9:00

First topic message reminder :

In your opinion, how good a job are ch5 doing in promoting the sport? I think any boxing on terrestrial TV is always a good thing, I just worry that Hennessey's stable isn't that big, he may struggle to keep the decent fights coming. Fury is being matched well at last, and he now has Degale v Eubank to build up, but that really is it as far as I can see.

Really hope his relationship with CH5 flourishes, and they can stage a World Title fight for fury on five. If Fury were by some miracle able to win a title whilst on terrestrial TV, we might see a small resurgence in boxing.

Re Fury singing alongside Johnson playing the piano - ridiculous.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Fury, Degale, Eubank and Channel 5 Boxing - Page 2 Empty Re: Fury, Degale, Eubank and Channel 5 Boxing

Post by spencerclarke Sun 2 Dec - 11:31

As I say I admit I'm being a bit harsh but nothing was coming back from Johnson so why not open up a little. When he did in the last couple of rounds he looked impressive. I probably wouldn't have been so bothered had it not been for the showboating as if he had put on a masterclass

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Fury, Degale, Eubank and Channel 5 Boxing - Page 2 Empty Re: Fury, Degale, Eubank and Channel 5 Boxing

Post by superflyweight Sun 2 Dec - 11:50

jimdig wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:He announced his retirement before the ashes series started so he could bask in the applause during it........said a lot about him....

The Aussies didn't give him a salute of honor either which showed how they felt about it..

cheap publicity seeker.

Hold on, your an american cricket fan???? Wonders never cease.

Have you never heard of the famous Lescargo? Boston's biggest cricket and darts fan.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 2 Dec - 11:58

I'm no fan of Fury but that's the best I've seen him look. His handspeed for a man of 6'9 is impressive and he mixed it up well. So Johnson was totally ineffective. Every time he threw anything but a jab he hit nothing. Fury wouldn't allow him to be effective.

Johnson's lack of handspeed stopped him from being able to do anything but this is still the best opponent he's faced seen as Chisora forgot to train.

I would strongly back Price to put him down but I'm simultaneously glad it's Fury who's on terrestrial, he's more likely to put in casual fan pleasing performences, not that tonight showed this.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by sherm Sun 2 Dec - 12:19

Agreed.
Aswell as a good performance from Eubank jr against a very live fighter. All in all a good nights boxing for free, I for one wont argue

sherm

Back to top Go down

Post by Melkor Sun 2 Dec - 13:09

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Flintoff's illness is a lack of maturity and a need to be the centre of attention...

He's disrespected the sport and that little Irish gnome has shown he'll do anything for for a few bucks.........

The irony. picard

The biggest embarrassment about Flintoff's little venture is that he turned up in better shape than most other heavyweights currently active. Chisora, Fury, Arreola, Solis, McDermott, Chagaev, Helenius, Chambers...Flintoff looked more like a serious boxer should look than any of those guys, yet somehow we're meant to believe he's the one disrespecting the sport!? It's harmed boxing no more than any of the recently failed doping tests, or the farce that Hopkins fights have become, or Audley Harrison continuing to fight, or the likes of Broner and Rios failing to make weight, or JCC Jr smoking weed during his training camp. Flintoff trained his arse off for four months, lost a load of weight, looked the part and raised casual awareness of boxing. For that he deserves the right to test himself/be punched in the face, even if it was for only eight minutes.

Melkor

Back to top Go down

Post by Jab to An MD Sun 2 Dec - 17:49

Steffan wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Flintoff's illness is a lack of maturity and a need to be the centre of attention...

He's disrespected the sport and that little Irish gnome has shown he'll do anything for for a few bucks.........
I agree Truss. Flintoff is arrogant and should just stick to cricket and getting really drunk

No, Flintoff's illness is depression. If you guys saw his documentary (well balanced documentary) a few months ago, then you are obviously ignoring it. To say his 'illness' is a 'lack of maturity' and 'need to be centre of attention' is pure wrong. He wanted this and put all his effort into it. Which one of us would not do the same in his shoes?

I dont comment much but this has compelled me, to mock an illness that affects so many is disgusting. Let Freddie do what he wants, in what way does it affect your life?

Jab to An MD

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Sun 2 Dec - 22:06

What an awful fight that truly lived up to my expectations of stinking the arena out. All that came out of it for me is we now know Johnson is what most suspected and well past his already painfully average prime and Fury can hit a heavy bag for 12 rounds and his hands speed looks ok against a man who moves like a slug. Thank god for Price if all we had to look forward to in the heavyweights was the likes of Fury and Johnson then you might as well fold the division.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 2 Dec - 22:45

"To mock an illness.."

Like usual you saw who the author was and tried to score cheap points off me....

Going to risk you grovelling to the mods by responding..

I haven't mocked the illness...just not sure he's got anything but me syndrome..

My sister had depression...she is dead now..

Now get lost Mitty...and make up some more fantasies..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by kevchadders Sun 2 Dec - 23:13

owen10ozzy wrote:Johnson should be banned after this...barely done anything & is there for the paycheck, nothing else. I have never seen such a lazy boxer...his punch output must be one of if not the worst in boxing?!

Agreed.

The last time I saw Johnson was against Vatali and that was one of the worst fights i've seen in a long time. He spent the whole fight against the ropes with his guard up and then in the last round made out he was the man even though Vatali coasted to victoy.

Had a feeling Johnson would help stink this one out as well.

kevchadders

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Sun 2 Dec - 23:55

I spent most of the fight waiting for Johnson to throw a meaningful punch...

Fury was on to a loser with this fight. He was never going to knock him out but he was also his own worst enemy by making himself look silly with all the "showboating" (I am amazed he didn't trip himself up...). True, he won most of the rounds, but THIS dross is a WBC eliminator?

I think if I had been in Johnson's position, I would have at least tried to throw something. I would no doubt have ended up on my butt with a painful jaw but at least I would have gone out on my shield. It's the worst heavyweight fight I have seen since Akinwande-Welch.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Snakeyman123 Sun 2 Dec - 23:58

I have to say despite his faults I have seen massive improvement in Fury recently. Not his biggest fan but he has been criticized in the past for being too gung-ho (Firtha, McDermott). I thought he displayed maturity, stuck to the plan and boxed pretty well..the decision was never really in doubt..

Snakeyman123

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Paul Mon 3 Dec - 0:26

Quite probably one of the biggest wastes of an hour of my time ever.

The local media tried their best to hype this fight up but in reality, Fury only appeals to one section of the community over here and even then a small proportion of it, I saw one single solitary billboard for the fight in Belfast and it was tucked away in a wee back street in the city centre where you literally had to trip over it to see it. The lights were down because despite all his faux Oirishness and wearing GAA tops, he's about as Irish as Pol Pot and the place was half empty, he's simply not a big enough draw on the mainland and now he's going the same way here.

Nobody is going to pay big money to watch Fury batter some old fat bloke round the ring for 12 rounds when they can watch it at home. He's being promoted into oblivion and if a cricketer fighting for 8 minutes can sell out an arena it's a urine poor showing that one of the so called "rising stars" can't.

Big Paul

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 3 Dec - 2:27

Big Paul wrote:Quite probably one of the biggest wastes of an hour of my time ever.

The local media tried their best to hype this fight up but in reality, Fury only appeals to one section of the community over here and even then a small proportion of it, I saw one single solitary billboard for the fight in Belfast and it was tucked away in a wee back street in the city centre where you literally had to trip over it to see it. The lights were down because despite all his faux Oirishness and wearing GAA tops, he's about as Irish as Pol Pot and the place was half empty, he's simply not a big enough draw on the mainland and now he's going the same way here.

Nobody is going to pay big money to watch Fury batter some old fat bloke round the ring for 12 rounds when they can watch it at home. He's being promoted into oblivion and if a cricketer fighting for 8 minutes can sell out an arena it's a urine poor showing that one of the so called "rising stars" can't.

The end of the world would go unnoticed if Hennessey promoted it. He's got Degale on in Hull next week, wonder what the crowd will be like there.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Snakeyman123 Mon 3 Dec - 2:54

Seanusarrilius wrote:
Big Paul wrote:Quite probably one of the biggest wastes of an hour of my time ever.

The end of the world would go unnoticed if Hennessey promoted it. He's got Degale on in Hull next week, wonder what the crowd will be like there.

Well there's at least 5 of us going..

Seriously though it should be quite well received..local boxing is drawing attention with Luke Campbell's gold medal, good up and coming pro's like Mouniemne and Coyle making their mark.. Pleased that Mick is putting on a show locally and glad to be supporting..

Snakeyman123

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 3 Dec - 2:59

Snakeyman123 wrote:
Seanusarrilius wrote:

Well there's at least 5 of us going..

Seriously though it should be quite well received..local boxing is drawing attention with Luke Campbell's gold medal, good up and coming pro's like Mouniemne and Coyle making their mark.. Pleased that Mick is putting on a show locally and glad to be supporting..

No, it is good, what's the promotion like though?

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Snakeyman123 Mon 3 Dec - 3:27

Been quite well covered in the Hull Daily Mail...we'll see if it translates to bums on seats...

Snakeyman123

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Mon 3 Dec - 6:08

sherm wrote:Agreed.
Aswell as a good performance from Eubank jr against a very live fighter. All in all a good nights boxing for free, I for one wont argue

I was not over impressed, and i would hardly call him a live fighter, he is quite a durable guy with allot of fights under his belt so a good work out for him but that's about it. Eubank was show boating but getting hit allot while doing it, score cards were a a bit of a joke, While he won the fight he was made to work for it..

Personally im not sure I like the guy.. He was a bit arrogant to his corner and is shooting off his mouth a tad bit early if you ask me... He has done 0 in the game yet and is only popular because of his father.. he should bet getting the rounds in and letting his results do the talking until he has something there to back his words up...

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Mon 3 Dec - 6:48

He's making himself into a villain, people will tune in to see him knocked out and he'll make a bomb off it.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Volcanicash Mon 3 Dec - 7:25

Am surprised at all the criticism on here on Fury's performance. I for 1 would rather see him perform like that than his headless chicken fights previous. And as for boring, the Vitali johnson fight was far more tedious.

I thought it was an accomplished performance by fury, he looked in better shape, showed he had a good engine and completely outboxed an ex world title contendor.

Volcanicash

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Mon 3 Dec - 7:28

Eubank Jr. is coming along, good to see.

Fury is an absolute joke. Stylistically he isn't even average. He has a strong jab. Thats it. He punches behind the head because he has no accuracy, he leans into people, doesn't hook to the body inside, has absolutely no power when he throws, his footwork was embarrassing and his showboating was just terrible. Johnson was waiting for one shot all night he was never going to get, and what the hell is the deal with Tyson not looking at his opponent? I mean I understand tucking your chin in but he was looking the other way while on the outside....anyone with any sort of will to win would destroy him. He's an accident waiting to happen and frankly an embarrassment to British Boxing. I had a friend over and he's not a boxing fan, we switched it on and we laughed almost the whole way through. He's not going anywhere.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 3 Dec - 7:31

A good jab is more than enough these days........factor in his height, weight, strength and dig and he's doing okay...

He does need to hammer out some inadequacies in sparring though..

Maybe you could help him out??? Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Mon 3 Dec - 7:35

You're like a broken record Trusswum. Surely you have better things to do with your time, like work out new ways of being an idiot on here. The following me around and pretending to have banter has been done to death.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 3 Dec - 7:36

Calm down.....I was only making a suggestion..

Maybe you can give him your gym details???? Wink

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Mon 3 Dec - 7:41

You're not funny.

You see I could get personal and take the mick out of how many times you've said you'd leave, the fact we all need to get a tiny violin out every single time a tragedy happens or anything drug related gets posted, because you see we have been told so many times (as if we're supposed to care) about your sister or whatever it is.

Well done Trusswum, because you have been in a situation, it makes you the expert. As usual. Bore off.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 3 Dec - 7:43

Don't give him your gym details then...... Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Mon 3 Dec - 7:45

See, this is what happens. At no time did I provoke you, you boring little man - now you're going back into hiding until someone else like Lance or Wumming_Jack comes out then you'll be jumping up and down with a pitchfork.

Already made my thoughts clear that these boards suffer while you're around. I like new faces, but you're not attracting them.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 3 Dec - 7:46

Can you both just draw a line under it please.

The door to the cooler is open, please dont walk through.

It doesnt matter who started it (we can see who) please do not continue.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 3 Dec - 8:08

PMs for both of you - please read and digest.

And to everyone else reading this....no, they havent been banned.....yet Wink

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 3 Dec - 8:12

I always look forward to pm questions......

Wish Miliband would do better them..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Mon 3 Dec - 8:22

This place would be a lot more fun if everyone got along, so I'd like to apologise for my previous comments Truss, they were combustive and bordered on being far too insensitive.

Sorry.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 3 Dec - 8:31

It would be more fun If we all got along and I pride myself in being a very cordial non-combative poster.....

However I'll accept your heart felt apology.. Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2