The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Team Wilshere - Week 3

4 posters

Go down

Team Wilshere - Week 3 Empty Team Wilshere - Week 3

Post by Gregers Fri 30 Nov 2012, 12:28 pm

Task 3

The FA has recently opened St George's Park, England's new National Football Centre and home to 24 National teams and FA Learning (the FA’s educational department). St. George’s Park will provide a platform for the communication of The Future Game philosophy, which outlines a vision for the development of English football.

Your task is simple: give me your top three priorities for developing the English game. Whether it's changing the coaching at youth levels or making all stadiums standing-only, I want three top changes you would make through St George's Park that would have a long-term positive effect on the fortunes of out national side.

The deadline for this is 2359 on Thursday 6 December 2012 (my Birthday!).

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Team Wilshere - Week 3 Empty Re: Team Wilshere - Week 3

Post by Gregers Fri 30 Nov 2012, 12:29 pm

Right lads, I think if we start with 1 idea each before 8pm tonight on something that you would do

Gregers

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Sat 01 Dec 2012, 9:46 am

Sorry didn't reply on this last night Greggers

Immediately my thoughts on this is at grassroots level, the only way to achieve any form of LONG term improvement is to address the issue at the outset and the current system that is in place in England has failed generation after generation.

My son this morning was meant to be playing an under 7 game v local rivals, slight bit of frost and the game is off, this will probably repeat for most Saturdays now until February, that's 2 months of no football. The pitch our boys play on is a disagree which every home game I have to arrive 2 hours early with a bucket and pitchfork trying to sort out puddles that have settled on it. Huge investment needs to be made on quality all weather pitches for kids, and I stress on this for kids, because otherwise the 5 a side adult teams quickly pay more than the kids clubs can and take all the best pitches.

The next I'd mention is the recent FA change to 5 a side for U7s and U8s, 7 a side then up to u11s 9 a side to u13s and full sides above. I'd like to see this improved on even more, it's finally a good step in a long need direction as for years at an early age it was 7 a side which sapped any potential skill being learnt and resulted in 12 kids kicking each other around a ball until it broke free.
I'd like to see 4 a side for the initial 2 years without keepers, decrease the goal and pitch size further and this encourages individuals to move with ball at feet, be aware more of team mates in space and grows their game a lot more.

Next improvement is an even simpler one. We now at our training have a real quality instructor for the kids who is UEFA trained and very much follows the methods in Holland & Spain for early years so we count ourselves lucky. The first thing he does every week is to ensure from the moment each kid arrives that they have an individual ball and they spend as much of the hour training with that ball. Far too many coaches have kids running up and down, barely touching a ball for the first 20 minutes, then standing in line take shots so being idle and not doing anything and then a brief game at the end. The actual contact the child has with a football in a normal training is so small in most FA training sessions is minute and that really needs to be addressed.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Sat 01 Dec 2012, 12:33 pm

Immediate effect wise for the current game is to implement a Winter break of 3 weeks in January, far too many games get cancelled as it is and it allows the teams to recuperate, recharge and refocus.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Mon 03 Dec 2012, 9:27 am

Agreed with everything Hero says above

Outside of coaching, what about financial considerations like introducing similar rules to UEFA on financial fair play?

On top of that what about introducing homegrown rules and quotas on the 25 man squads for the PL? In essence we stipulate a certain amount of England eligible players are registered in each PL teams 25 man squad. They are less likely to be throw away and unused players when the squads are small.

I'd also back some sort of limit on ticket prices to make it more uniform across the league. Can't see that taking off though because the big clubs will want to make money from their allocation.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by FIFA Diva Mon 03 Dec 2012, 9:58 am

Youth develpoment is the obvious one.

FIFA Diva
FIFA Diva

http://www.manutd.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Mon 03 Dec 2012, 10:09 am

Whilst I agree on the ticket price I can't see how it then affects the development of the English game unless more working class kids may get a chance to see football and as a result take up the game but its a tenious link at best.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by FIFA Diva Mon 03 Dec 2012, 10:37 am

How about bringing the psychological factors into it? We all know that England lack the ability but no one talks much about the mental strength you need to succed at the highest level.
FIFA Diva
FIFA Diva

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Mon 03 Dec 2012, 10:39 am

Hero wrote:Whilst I agree on the ticket price I can't see how it then affects the development of the English game unless more working class kids may get a chance to see football and as a result take up the game but its a tenious link at best.

Yeah, you're right, that was more outside the brief than of improving the game I suppose.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Mon 03 Dec 2012, 4:47 pm

One thing I remember reading some time ago - and I think it was a Tim Vickery piece - was how Argentina secured young players early by including them in youth sides, and also having them learn about the national culture, history and identity.

The idea was that with more and more Argentines leaving for Europe at earlier ages, they would be able to 'catch' them early and have them fully committed to Argentina. They would then go off to Europe with stronger bonds to their nation, and the risk of them naturalising for other countries disappered.

That is something we could do. Especially with the Zaha/Sterling/Jenkinson stuff of late. Have some sort of teaching on the importance of the nation, and on playing for the national side. Breed some more nationalists.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Mon 03 Dec 2012, 8:19 pm

I like that idea sod mate.

So we have youth development, ticket pricing, psychological and national identity. Youth being the obvious one.

Personally I think that having a rule r.e. number of English in starting x1 and potentially home grown through club is something we need.

Gregers

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Mon 03 Dec 2012, 8:23 pm

Breed some more nationalists

We putting John Terry in charge of this?

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Mon 03 Dec 2012, 8:59 pm

He would be the best at it hero

Gregers

Back to top Go down

Post by FIFA Diva Tue 04 Dec 2012, 12:28 pm

Tumbleweed
FIFA Diva
FIFA Diva

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Tue 04 Dec 2012, 12:41 pm

Well what are your thoughts on it Viva?
Rather than put forward a tumbleweed perhaps expand upon your psychological idea?

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Tue 04 Dec 2012, 3:14 pm

Sorry guys home from work the last two days and been busy with pre Xmas stuff.

Hero - could you do a paragraph on improving kids football
Sod - A paragraph on how we would raise the importance of playing for your country
Viva - A paragraph on the psychological aspect

I'll then do one on increasing the importance of players coming through the system at a club, playing for their club rather than for money

Gregers

Back to top Go down

Post by FIFA Diva Wed 05 Dec 2012, 10:20 am

I'll get it done soon.
FIFA Diva
FIFA Diva

Back to top Go down

Post by FIFA Diva Wed 05 Dec 2012, 10:20 am

Hero wrote:Well what are your thoughts on it Viva?
Rather than put forward a tumbleweed perhaps expand upon your psychological idea?

Seems like the tumbleweed smiley did the trick.
FIFA Diva
FIFA Diva

Back to top Go down

Post by FIFA Diva Wed 05 Dec 2012, 11:44 am

COME ON GUYS!!!!
FIFA Diva
FIFA Diva

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Wed 05 Dec 2012, 11:58 am

WOuld my initial rant pretty much summarise the improvements to the youth development?

Immediately my thoughts on this is at grassroots level, the only way to achieve any form of LONG term improvement is to address the issue at the outset and the current system that is in place in England has failed generation after generation.
My son this morning was meant to be playing an under 7 game v local rivals, slight bit of frost and the game is off, this will probably repeat for most Saturdays now until February, that's 2 months of no football. The pitch our boys play on is a disagree which every home game I have to arrive 2 hours early with a bucket and pitchfork trying to sort out puddles that have settled on it. Huge investment needs to be made on quality all weather pitches for kids, and I stress on this for kids, because otherwise the 5 a side adult teams quickly pay more than the kids clubs can and take all the best pitches.
The next I'd mention is the recent FA change to 5 a side for U7s and U8s, 7 a side then up to u11s 9 a side to u13s and full sides above. I'd like to see this improved on even more, it's finally a good step in a long need direction as for years at an early age it was 7 a side which sapped any potential skill being learnt and resulted in 12 kids kicking each other around a ball until it broke free.
I'd like to see 4 a side for the initial 2 years without keepers, decrease the goal and pitch size further and this encourages individuals to move with ball at feet, be aware more of team mates in space and grows their game a lot more.
Next improvement is an even simpler one. We now at our training have a real quality instructor for the kids who is UEFA trained and very much follows the methods in Holland & Spain for early years so we count ourselves lucky. The first thing he does every week is to ensure from the moment each kid arrives that they have an individual ball and they spend as much of the hour training with that ball. Far too many coaches have kids running up and down, barely touching a ball for the first 20 minutes, then standing in line take shots so being idle and not doing anything and then a brief game at the end. The actual contact the child has with a football in a normal training is so small in most FA training sessions is minute and that really needs to be addressed.

Basically more funds aimed at the cradle, reduced team sizes to improve individual skill and always training with a ball to improve technique.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Wed 05 Dec 2012, 12:00 pm

VivaPaulScholes wrote:COME ON GUYS!!!!

The cheerleading only really works Viva if you lead by example, just chanting for others to do something when you're more interested in blowing kisses to Fan & Azzy on the main board doesn't motivate others.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by FIFA Diva Wed 05 Dec 2012, 12:10 pm

lol
FIFA Diva
FIFA Diva

Back to top Go down

Post by FIFA Diva Wed 05 Dec 2012, 12:31 pm

Since I've been watching International Football I've noticed England do not have the physical ability to compete with the best teams and also the Psychology side of the game they lack which is less docummented. Gaining an advantage off the pitch is just as important as gaining an advantage on the pitch. The "This Is Anfield" is psychological warfare getting to the opponenets before the game.

Doctors need to be bought in to speak to players, help them get over the barriers they fear, we need to get to the root cause of why our players freeze at the top level. I feel its because they haven't had much experience at a younger age or the level they played at was not intense enough. The bridge between the reserves and first team is massive some players mentaly may not be ready for it which can cause them to slow down in thier progress.

FIFA Diva
FIFA Diva

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Wed 05 Dec 2012, 12:33 pm

Good stuff lads, I'll do mine this evening.

I think we need something on the history of the English game, make young players understand what it means to represent England

Gregers

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Wed 05 Dec 2012, 12:45 pm

Since the last notable success for England at international level, on home turf in 1996, there has been a growing feeling of playing for England being a burden and a curse. It brings media attention to your front door, public scrutiny to your play, and a weight of responsibility that failure is not going to be tolerated. It seems that gone are the days that the pinnacle of a career was being in the white of England, and that this is now replaced by playing in the Champions League or earning big money transfers.

On top of that England is a diverse society, and it's getting ever tougher to have one single culture pervade all the towns and cities. Kids playing football are not necessarily dreaming about pulling on the three lions, but about playing for the countries of their fathers, mothers, and grandparents - because these are the places they feel connected to culturally. We can't bring about a cultural shift for the entire nation, that is down to politicians (aside from being improbable, bordering on impossible); but we can use football and history as a motivator for young players still unsure of where their international aspirations may lie.

The idea is a reproduction of an Argenitinian initiative, started by Jose Pekerman, who noted that a large proportion of young Argentine footballers were emigrating abroad at ever younger ages. The fear was that they would forget the homeland and naturalise for other nations. To combat this, he made sure all Argentinian youth sides had an element of classroom study and lectures on the history of Argentina and its football.

I suggest that the best ideas are usually stolen. So we are pinching this. We would propose that all players that come up to play in the England youth system are entered into compulsory studies about football, its origins, the history of England's football team, as well as the ethical side of the game. The hope is that we can not only persuade youngsters that it's an honour and a matter of pride to represent England, but also to drill home the important principles of fair play and ethical behaviour. St George's Park seems the perfect place for such studies and lectures to take place, and if successful, it can be opened to wider audiences than just those in the youth squads of the nation.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by FIFA Diva Wed 05 Dec 2012, 1:11 pm

Do you mean 1966 Sodhat? 1996 may have been the best ENgland have played since winning in 1966 but I still class it as a failure we didnt win did we. An we dont want to give out the impression to Azzy we're happy with being losers.
FIFA Diva
FIFA Diva

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Wed 05 Dec 2012, 1:12 pm

Picking players from "smaller" teams would be a good start as well

Gregers

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Wed 05 Dec 2012, 1:13 pm

VivaPaulScholes wrote:Do you mean 1966 Sodhat? 1996 may have been the best ENgland have played since winning in 1966 but I still class it as a failure we didnt win did we. An we dont want to give out the impression to Azzy we're happy with being losers.

I meant 1996 because that was the last time I can remember being proud of England. Don't forget, we didn't lose - we drew Wink

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Wed 05 Dec 2012, 1:15 pm

Also I thought as I was writing that there was psychology to be tapped into there. 1966 and 1996 are the most successful tournaments ('90 aside), so clearly the talent is there somewhere, but mentally why do we only show all our pride and talent when it's a home tourny?

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by FIFA Diva Wed 05 Dec 2012, 4:41 pm

sodhat wrote:Also I thought as I was writing that there was psychology to be tapped into there. 1966 and 1996 are the most successful tournaments ('90 aside), so clearly the talent is there somewhere, but mentally why do we only show all our pride and talent when it's a home tourny?

AN maybe that can link to decrease in ticket prices get more of the working class on board and try and repluciate the home advatnage. But I doubt they would ever reduce the ticket prices.
FIFA Diva
FIFA Diva

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Wed 05 Dec 2012, 8:18 pm

So we have:

Youth Development - Done
National Identity - Done
Improving Psychology of the Players - Done

I'll whip up a starting paragraph and how we came to those decisions, good work with your paragraphs lads. I'll mention ticket pricing (as this doesn't help develop the English game but should be thought of in the long run).

Just an extra idea, how about a free ladies game before all major England international matches (and the FA Cup/FA Trophy/Capital One Cup), its been done in Cricket for a few seasons and has really increased interest in the women's game and gets young girls into the game?

Gregers

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Thu 06 Dec 2012, 9:40 am

Sounds like a good idea. If you get women into the game it makes it more likely they'll let men watch...

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by FIFA Diva Thu 06 Dec 2012, 10:05 am

Azzy asked for three I'd stick with three you remember what happend on the last task when Mighty decided to do the training schedule as an extra bonus which wans't required and Azzy wasn't too happy because it wasn't up to scratch. Unless you can do a fantastic piece on the womens Football I would leave it alone.
FIFA Diva
FIFA Diva

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Thu 06 Dec 2012, 10:53 am

I've got it as a next step, sort of extra work to impress Azzy.

Gregers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down