The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can we have some serious Lions 15 articles now?

+25
tecphobe
Knackeredknees
Morgannwg
TJ1
nathan
anotherworldofpain
KickAndChase
Artful_Dodger
profitius
Hood83
bedfordwelsh
formerly known as Sam
aucklandlaurie
doctor_grey
Breadvan
Pot Hale
Notch
freeman lowell
majesticimperialman
stevetynant
Geordie
Mr Taff
RogerLewis
thebluesmancometh
belovedfrosties
29 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Can we have some serious Lions 15 articles now? Empty Can we have some serious Lions 15 articles now?

Post by belovedfrosties Fri 16 Nov 2012, 10:01 pm

As has been abundantly clear in all posters picks on this site, there has been a strong bias to welsh players based upon their astounding quality of beating Fiji, Namibia, Samoa and Ireland at the World cup. Before claiming a grandslam against a baby england team, a french side who didnt turn up, a good Ireland side and the usual italian and scottish dross.

Many other posters (mainly english) have always said that the apparent welsh dominance in the Lions was a joke and that they aren't really that good. Warburton for starting 7 and captain? he doesn't even start for Wales! Philips is one of the worst scrumhalves around (unless you rank a scrum half on being able to run straight into other people). Those huge giants of men on the wing that can run through anyone and saunter to the line, but who actually just run straight into the closest person and get tackled. Roberts, the beast who will dominate all in the centres yet has a habit of getting concussed alot due to having awful tackling technique. The world class welsh front row, who just got comprehensively outscrummed and outplayed by a Pacific Island team. I wont even get started on Priestland, and people say that Flood is poor?

Halfpenny is a great player though.

Anyways, enough wumming (though im sure some will wholeheartedly agree with what i just wrote) congrats to Samoa, who played very well and thoroughly deserved their win. Also, i think they become the first second tier nation to crack the top 8 so even more reason to celebrate.

Where from here though for Wales? You seemed to have zero plan for anything, you knew from last week that the ruck was an issue and there were all sorts of noises about how you would correct it, but yet again you were completely outplayed there. Attacking was woeful, while what i said was in jest its true that all your wingers and roberts did was run straight into the closest person. Howley seriously needs to man up and take a lot of responsibility for all of this, he said during the week that Wales would produce a performance to be proud of and look what we have all just watched, are any of you Welsh fans proud of that? If after all the work that Gats has done, Howley can't come in and hold the fort for a few games then why is he in charge? he's also the attacking coach and Wales never looked like scoring when they had the ball, a well read play by Beck was all they had to show attacking wise.

If things keep on like this i fear for you guys next week against the All Blacks, and you may end up towards the bottom of the 6N table too unless something is done.

Once again, congrats to Samoa

belovedfrosties

Back to top Go down

Can we have some serious Lions 15 articles now? Empty Re: Can we have some serious Lions 15 articles now?

Post by thebluesmancometh Fri 16 Nov 2012, 10:04 pm

Got bored of reading after the title but you let yourself down.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Can we have some serious Lions 15 articles now? Empty Re: Can we have some serious Lions 15 articles now?

Post by RogerLewis Fri 16 Nov 2012, 10:04 pm

15. Halfpenny
14. Bowe
13. BOD, Tuilagi, JD2
12. Roberts
11. Visser
10. Sexton or Flood
9. Care

RogerLewis

Back to top Go down

Post by belovedfrosties Fri 16 Nov 2012, 10:05 pm

Carry on reading Bluesmancometh, the first half is in jest, i get serious later on.

belovedfrosties

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Taff Fri 16 Nov 2012, 10:08 pm

Come next year, this will be the team (in my opinion, of course)

1. Alex Corbierso
2. Rory Best
3. Adam Jones
4. Alyn Wyn Jones
5. Richie Gray
6. Stephen Ferris
7. Justin Tipuric
8. Jamie Heaslip
9. Mike Phillips
10. Johnathan Sexton
11. George North
12. Jamie Roberts
13. Tualagi
14. AleX Cuthbert
15. Leigh Halfpenny

Mr Taff

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerLewis Fri 16 Nov 2012, 10:10 pm

Who are North and Cuthbert? Did they play tonight?

RogerLewis

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Taff Fri 16 Nov 2012, 10:12 pm

RogerLewis wrote:Who are North and Cuthbert? Did they play tonight?

Two words. Rob and Howley.

Mr Taff

Back to top Go down

Post by belovedfrosties Fri 16 Nov 2012, 10:15 pm

Mr Taff wrote:Come next year, this will be the team (in my opinion, of course)

1. Alex Corbierso
2. Rory Best
3. Adam Jones
4. Alyn Wyn Jones
5. Richie Gray
6. Stephen Ferris
7. Justin Tipuric
8. Jamie Heaslip
9. Mike Phillips
10. Johnathan Sexton
11. George North
12. Jamie Roberts
13. Tualagi
14. AleX Cuthbert
15. Leigh Halfpenny

Whilst he's still a good player Taff i can't see Jones making it to next year, he's barely been able to play a game thhis year due to injuries. Also Philips?!?!?!?!? ARGH!!!!! He's so bad its untrue, Care has been outstanding this season in the HC and League, no other Sh has come close ot him. He was poor against Fiji but i hope he can bring his Jeff form to these Tests. Wings and Roberts i have already highlighted as been crash ball merchants and not much else, i remember Tuilagi getting slated for this, when that was his only role, wingers shouldn't be crashers at all (unless they're Lomu). The Welsh seemed to have developed the formally english belief that bigger is better, a belief which you used to deride the english with on a regular basis (though that may have been because noon and erinle in the centres is awful, i don't know). Tips did pretty well though i must agree, and i think halfpenny is a great FB, though i'd still be inclined to pick a fully fit and firiing Foden over him.

belovedfrosties

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Taff Fri 16 Nov 2012, 10:21 pm

belovedfrosties wrote:
Mr Taff wrote:Come next year, this will be the team (in my opinion, of course)

1. Alex Corbierso
2. Rory Best
3. Adam Jones
4. Alyn Wyn Jones
5. Richie Gray
6. Stephen Ferris
7. Justin Tipuric
8. Jamie Heaslip
9. Mike Phillips
10. Johnathan Sexton
11. George North
12. Jamie Roberts
13. Tualagi
14. AleX Cuthbert
15. Leigh Halfpenny

Whilst he's still a good player Taff i can't see Jones making it to next year, he's barely been able to play a game thhis year due to injuries. Also Philips?!?!?!?!? ARGH!!!!! He's so bad its untrue, Care has been outstanding this season in the HC and League, no other Sh has come close ot him. He was poor against Fiji but i hope he can bring his Jeff form to these Tests. Wings and Roberts i have already highlighted as been crash ball merchants and not much else, i remember Tuilagi getting slated for this, when that was his only role, wingers shouldn't be crashers at all (unless they're Lomu). The Welsh seemed to have developed the formally english belief that bigger is better, a belief which you used to deride the english with on a regular basis (though that may have been because noon and erinle in the centres is awful, i don't know). Tips did pretty well though i must agree, and i think halfpenny is a great FB, though i'd still be inclined to pick a fully fit and firiing Foden over him.

Some good points made there. In regards to Adam Jones, if he does get injured we have got a pretty good replacement in Dan Cole. The Lions front row is well and trully covered. You mention about our wings and 'crash ball merchants' - well sadly, at the moment that is the case. Not the players fault though, it's Robert Howleys fault (I'm playing the blame game). We are a stuttering mess at the moment and for the Lions sake, i hope all the home nation get their act together and perform well for the next few months.

Mr Taff

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerLewis Fri 16 Nov 2012, 10:22 pm

Mr Taff wrote:
RogerLewis wrote:Who are North and Cuthbert? Did they play tonight?

Two words. Rob and Howley.

Why was idiot Priestland on the bench? What about Hook?

RogerLewis

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 16 Nov 2012, 10:22 pm

Taff i got your wum after i read Alan Wyn Jones in there..... thumbsup

Oh and if Marler continues his impressive form...Corbs might not even be starting for England....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Taff Fri 16 Nov 2012, 10:25 pm

Mr Lewis, I'll be honest with you, i don't think Hook is the way forward. He has been found wanting in many big match occasions. Sadly for Wales, we lack any depth of talent at 10. With no Dan Biggar for next week, i worry for Wales. Rhys Priestland is inept (and the tactics given to him). Maybe we should give Hook one last go at 10, but i'm not that confident about it.

Mr Taff

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Taff Fri 16 Nov 2012, 10:27 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Taff i got your wum after i read Alan Wyn Jones in there..... thumbsup

Oh and if Marler continues his impressive form...Corbs might not even be starting for England....

Not wumming, just being honest. Time for England to step up and claim some spots.

Mr Taff

Back to top Go down

Post by belovedfrosties Fri 16 Nov 2012, 10:28 pm

I'm not sure Geordie, think that a fit and firing Corbs will always be likely first choice. He is seriously good in the scrum, still quite far ahead of Marler and very good at turning over ball. Also, Marler is perfectly suited to being an impact sub.

belovedfrosties

Back to top Go down

Post by stevetynant Fri 16 Nov 2012, 10:33 pm

The only England players making the test team I can see are tuilagi and possibly care at scrum half.in all the remaining positions there is a better Celt just waiting for the shirt.

stevetynant

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Fri 16 Nov 2012, 10:35 pm

Out of the Welsh team tonight. Maybe only Halfpenny will get a call for the lions.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 16 Nov 2012, 10:36 pm

Mr Taff wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:Taff i got your wum after i read Alan Wyn Jones in there..... thumbsup

Not wumming, just being honest. Time for England to step up and claim some spots.

Yeah thumbsup Nice one after tonights performance mate....at least you dont give the Welsh fans a bad name cause we all know what you are....

But on a serious note....Alan Wyn Jones is a POOR international SR and wouldnt be in my starting Welsh 15 let alone lions....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 16 Nov 2012, 10:40 pm

belovedfrosties wrote:I'm not sure Geordie, think that a fit and firing Corbs will always be likely first choice. He is seriously good in the scrum, still quite far ahead of Marler and very good at turning over ball. Also, Marler is perfectly suited to being an impact sub.

True Corbs is a scracking scrummager and breakdown guy...but Marler has done well also...if he can add his carrying in the next few games...he could edge Corbs...although Corbs has the bodyweight advantage...hes a serious lump...nice choice to have though...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by belovedfrosties Fri 16 Nov 2012, 10:49 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:
belovedfrosties wrote:I'm not sure Geordie, think that a fit and firing Corbs will always be likely first choice. He is seriously good in the scrum, still quite far ahead of Marler and very good at turning over ball. Also, Marler is perfectly suited to being an impact sub.

True Corbs is a scracking scrummager and breakdown guy...but Marler has done well also...if he can add his carrying in the next few games...he could edge Corbs...although Corbs has the bodyweight advantage...hes a serious lump...nice choice to have though...

Yeah, its most definitely not a bad position to be in! Also have Vunipola coming through as well, now if only we could find a few young tightheads

belovedfrosties

Back to top Go down

Post by stevetynant Fri 16 Nov 2012, 10:50 pm

Injuries not withstanding and on the basis that class will shine through after the six nations

Adam jones
Rory best
Cian healey
Paul OConnell
Richie Gray
Stephen Ferris
Jamie heaslip
Justin tipuric
Mike Phillips
Jon sexton
Jamie Roberts
Bod
George north
Tim visser
Lee halfpenny

Actually potentially not one England player on the team

stevetynant

Back to top Go down

Post by freeman lowell Fri 16 Nov 2012, 11:01 pm

really stevetynant...roberts on the wing.... north at outside center...think I just lost faith in your judgement..

freeman lowell

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 16 Nov 2012, 11:22 pm

Why the hostility Steve....?

We make a couple of points about 2 welsh players that genuinley arent offering anything to the Welsh national side and you come back with non English Lions lineups.... thumbsup clap

I guess your another like Taff...just here to irritate people...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by freeman lowell Fri 16 Nov 2012, 11:28 pm

hes just started a thread where he describes tipuric as "a long way from lions selection"............

freeman lowell

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 17 Nov 2012, 12:16 am

Still too early to say, Six Nations will decide a lot as will injury.

Can see Scotland having a much improved 6N, for instance.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sat 17 Nov 2012, 1:23 am

belovedfrostiese wrote:Also, i think they become the first second tier nation to crack the top 8 so even more reason to celebrate."

What does this mean?
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Sat 17 Nov 2012, 7:13 am

Notch wrote:Still too early to say, Six Nations will decide a lot as will injury.

Can see Scotland having a much improved 6N, for instance.

clap Amen to that....cannot abide these 'Lions 15' threads when there is still a huge tourney to play.
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 17 Nov 2012, 7:21 am

Gotta agree. Virtually no one is a cert to tour at this point. Too much Rugby to play. Interesting to specualte, but the Six Nations will clarify all.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sat 17 Nov 2012, 7:23 am

Why would people want to be talking about the Lions? We are in the middle of some absolutely brilliant displays of rugby at the moment.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 17 Nov 2012, 7:29 am

Gotta agree. Virtually no one is a cert to tour at this point. Too much Rugby to play. Interesting to specualte, but the Six Nations will clarify all.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 17 Nov 2012, 9:28 am

[quote] Some good points made there. In regards to Adam Jones, if he does get injured we have got a pretty good replacement in Dan Cole. /quote]

On current form Dan Cole is the Lions 3 by some distance. Ospreys visit to WR only emphasised this. Jones looked lethargic and solid in the scrum. Cole was explosive in his dismantling of Bevington up front and then like an additional backrow at the breakdown. Currently Cole is the only Englishman guaranteed a starting shirt. Jones has a lot to do if he wants to get back in the running.

Wales will have a good proportion of representation in the Lions squad but I'm not sure more than 3 will be starting (depending on injuries and 6N form obviously).

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 17 Nov 2012, 9:56 am

aucklandlaurie wrote:
Why would people want to be talking about the Lions? We are in the middle of some absolutely brilliant displays of rugby at the moment.
Agree, for the most part. Lions are not really on my personal radar screen at the moment, except for considering whether to go to Australia or not. We have great matches in the November Internationals and then the Six Nations.

But a lot of people up here really look forward to the Lions tours and thinking about the Lions is never too far from the surface. One of the greatest traditions in Rugby and especially meaningful for us B&I types.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 17 Nov 2012, 11:31 am

doctor_grey wrote:Gotta agree. Virtually no one is a cert to tour at this point. Too much Rugby to play. Interesting to specualte, but the Six Nations will clarify all.

Yh whilst its always a hot topic of debate we have seen quite a few players ruled out of these AIs with injuries so know one knows who will be fit or injury free come the end of the 6 Nations which is when the squad is announced.

One thing is for def though I will be going Very Happy
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sat 17 Nov 2012, 12:16 pm

stevetynant wrote:Injuries not withstanding and on the basis that class will shine through after the six nations

Adam jones
Rory best
Cian healey
Paul OConnell
Richie Gray
Stephen Ferris
Jamie heaslip
Justin tipuric
Mike Phillips
Jon sexton
Jamie Roberts
Bod
George north
Tim visser
Lee halfpenny

Where to start. Jones is now a distant second to Cole, a better scrummager (marginally) and much better around the park, though Jones might carry slightly better.

Richie Gray? Maybe, not if his form doesn't improve. Ditto Heaslip.

Mike Phillips is slower than erosion. Care is the stand out at present.

Sexton? Below Flood, the FH the NH love to hate. But a close one.

Roberts and BOD. Maybe one last hurrah for BOD, but Roberts is offering nothing at present.

North and Visser. Will get scorched by Oz. We need at least one wing with genuine pace.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Sat 17 Nov 2012, 12:40 pm

Based on form and ability there are some strong candidates. Heres MY team so far.

15 Halfpenny
14 North
11 Visser
9 Care

2 Hartley/Best
3 Cole
4 POC
6 Ferris
7 SOB/?
8 Easter/SOB

Theres no second row in POCs class so he should be a definite. North and Visser can score tries from nothing and Halfpenney is a good all round player with a massive kick. SOB is Irelands best player now and even the Kiwis were saying he'd get on their team. Easter is the form 8 in Europe.

Care is playing very well. Cole is the top scrummager IMO, others might pick Jones which I wouldn't have a problem with. Hartley and Best are good hookers and both have their good attributes.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sat 17 Nov 2012, 12:40 pm

Hood83 wrote:
stevetynant wrote:Injuries not withstanding and on the basis that class will shine through after the six nations

Adam jones
Rory best
Cian healey
Paul OConnell
Richie Gray
Stephen Ferris
Jamie heaslip
Justin tipuric
Mike Phillips
Jon sexton
Jamie Roberts
Bod
George north
Tim visser
Lee halfpenny

Sexton? Below Flood

*Chuckles*

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat 17 Nov 2012, 1:14 pm

profitius wrote:Based on form and ability there are some strong candidates. Heres MY team so far.

15 Halfpenny
14 North
11 Visser
9 Care

2 Hartley/Best
3 Cole
4 POC
6 Ferris
7 SOB/?
8 Easter/SOB

Theres no second row in POCs class so he should be a definite. North and Visser can score tries from nothing and Halfpenney is a good all round player with a massive kick. SOB is Irelands best player now and even the Kiwis were saying he'd get on their team. Easter is the form 8 in Europe.

Care is playing very well. Cole is the top scrummager IMO, others might pick Jones which I wouldn't have a problem with. Hartley and Best are good hookers and both have their good attributes.

Regarding your choice of players so far. I would agree with,

Half penny ( yes )

North ( no) he has become more like Jamie Roberts get the ball and crash into the nearest player.

Vissar ( ? ) not sure about him to be honest. First time i saw him play last week.

Care ( yes)

Hartley/Best ( yes )

Cole ( yes )

Poc ( no ) dont think he will go. He is getting too old and yo injury prone to risk takeing along.

Ferris/Sob ( possible )

Easter ( Yes ) at the moment he ids looking likely.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by belovedfrosties Sat 17 Nov 2012, 2:24 pm

Pot Hale wrote:
belovedfrostiese wrote:Also, i think they become the first second tier nation to crack the top 8 so even more reason to celebrate."

What does this mean?

Second tier nations are considered to be those not playing in the (now) Rugby Championship and the 6N (which totals 10 teams), these teams have historically dominated the top 8 rankings (top 2 seeding groups) with Scotland and Italy being in 9th or 10th historically speaking. In beating Wales, Samoa have moved into the top 8, so are now in the second seeded group, the first time a team who does not play in the RC or 6N has done this.

So in addition to beating Wales away, a good win in itself, they have also cracked the top 8 for the first time, so well done for that as well.

belovedfrosties

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sat 17 Nov 2012, 7:46 pm

So after this weekend, the Lions places are becoming much clearer on who'll definitely start.

Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Sat 17 Nov 2012, 7:52 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:
Regarding your choice of players so far. I would agree with,

Half penny ( yes )

North ( no) he has become more like Jamie Roberts get the ball and crash into the nearest player.

Vissar ( ? ) not sure about him to be honest. First time i saw him play last week.

Care ( yes)

Hartley/Best ( yes )

Cole ( yes )

Poc ( no ) dont think he will go. He is getting too old and yo injury prone to risk takeing along.

Ferris/Sob ( possible )

Easter ( Yes ) at the moment he ids looking likely.

The thing is, Maj, POC is the best second row the Lions have. Despite his age he still is one of the best players on the pitch every time he plays. Injuries are a concern alright but as for age, hes about 5 years younger than Brad Thorn and Simon Shaw was old on the last tour. Age doesn't matter that much for second rows.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by KickAndChase Sat 17 Nov 2012, 7:53 pm

Let's wait for the 6N lads. That is all.

KickAndChase

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 17 Nov 2012, 8:19 pm

Well well well well, the mighty English can't even beat a soft Aussie team anymore

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sat 17 Nov 2012, 8:54 pm

viewtothegym wrote:Well well well well, the mighty English can't even beat a soft Aussie team anymore

Neither can Wales though. After 5 attempts. Wink
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 17 Nov 2012, 8:54 pm

What is the fascination with Dan Cole and the SKY team?
They dry hump him red raw, always saying his name in any sentence with the Lions!
He is God awful, he isn't fit enough to shine Adam Jones shoes.

So please can we put the subject to bed? stop even comparing him to Adam,never mind suggesting he is worth a Lions spot before Adam.

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Sat 17 Nov 2012, 8:56 pm

So first Wales scrum was destroyed by Samoa and now England were upset by the Aussies?

Just WHAT is going on?

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 17 Nov 2012, 9:00 pm

To be fair i expected Wales to struggle in the scrum with Ken Owens and Charteris in the pack, Wales were ok before they come on.

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 17 Nov 2012, 9:13 pm

viewtothegym wrote:What is the fascination with Dan Cole and the SKY team?
They dry hump him red raw, always saying his name in any sentence with the Lions!
He is God awful, he isn't fit enough to shine Adam Jones shoes.

So please can we put the subject to bed? stop even comparing him to Adam,never mind suggesting he is worth a Lions spot before Adam.

Lol

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Sat 17 Nov 2012, 9:24 pm

Hood83 wrote:

North and Visser. Will get scorched by Oz. We need at least one wing with genuine pace.

Visser is genuinely fast

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sat 17 Nov 2012, 9:25 pm

So is North. Who the hell is this Hood83?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 17 Nov 2012, 9:32 pm

anotherworldofpain wrote:So first Wales scrum was destroyed by Samoa and now England were upset by the Aussies?

Just WHAT is going on?

This is fair GG, but nobody was building up Jarvis like our English friends were building up Cole. I am genuinely confused how the English were so arrogant to think they should have the Lions share (no pun intended) of the pack/whole squad.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 17 Nov 2012, 9:33 pm

I personally hate Lions 15 articles, we might as well write a Lions 15 for the 2021 tour, because non of us have a clue who will get picked.

One thing is for sure thou Gatland will pick the right squad and i reckon between all the home nations he will make a team that will win the tour.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next