The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Wales & England friends thread.

+11
GavinDragon
englandglory4ever
majesticimperialman
Looseheaded
damage_13
thebluesmancometh
bedfordwelsh
LondonTiger
RubyGuby
Breadvan
RogerLewis
15 posters

Go down

Can Wales and England be friends?

The Wales & England friends thread. Vote_lcap31%The Wales & England friends thread. Vote_rcap 31% 
[ 8 ]
The Wales & England friends thread. Vote_lcap23%The Wales & England friends thread. Vote_rcap 23% 
[ 6 ]
The Wales & England friends thread. Vote_lcap27%The Wales & England friends thread. Vote_rcap 27% 
[ 7 ]
The Wales & England friends thread. Vote_lcap19%The Wales & England friends thread. Vote_rcap 19% 
[ 5 ]

Total Votes : 26

The Wales & England friends thread. Empty The Wales & England friends thread.

Post by RogerLewis Fri 16 Nov 2012, 8:23 am

This is a warm, friendly and lovely place for the English, Welsh & any other friendly rugby supporter to come and have a civilised chat.

There are some here who are obsessed / passionate about their home team, like me. There are some who are obsessed with the opposition. I like the rivalry to be friendly and banter is great as long as its not nasty or monotonous. I've worked in England a few times, lived there a few times and had a few English girlfriends. I've always been made to feel welcome and always had a laugh when it comes to sport. When we lost 50-10 in 2002 it was a rather unpleasant time to be the other side of the border.

However what goes around comes around and I watched the 2012 England v Wales game in a pub in Bristol. I went berserk even though there were only 2 Welsh people there. It was all in good fun.

There have even been occasions where I've supported England. I think it's healthy from time to time to support your neighbour rather than someone 10, 000 miles away, especially when we come together once every 4 years.

We have both had successes in recent years. Obviously nothing tops a world cup. Wales make such a fuss over the six nations because they were so poor for so long. If you respect both sides and are not of the primary school mentality then please join in.

RogerLewis

Back to top Go down

The Wales & England friends thread. Empty Re: The Wales & England friends thread.

Post by Breadvan Fri 16 Nov 2012, 9:14 am

I'm Eng born and bred. My missus is Welsh, kids have Welsh accents, I have a st for the Ospreys and go to Swans games now and again.

As Sean Connery says in Highlander " We are brothers!"
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

The Wales & England friends thread. Empty Re: The Wales & England friends thread.

Post by RubyGuby Fri 16 Nov 2012, 9:46 am

I'm Welsh born and bred. My Mrs is English, kids have english accents, I have a st for the Pirates and go to watch them now and again. As Twin Town once said, "If all else fails - try Wales" We are the same - sorry to let you all know that and I cheer as much for Ian Poulter and Lee Westwood and Luke as much as I do for Wales. Funny old world eh! thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 16 Nov 2012, 9:49 am

Breadvan wrote: I'm Eng born and bred. My missus is Welsh, kids have Welsh accents, I have a st for the Ospreys and go to Swans games now and again.

As Sean Connery says in Highlander " We are brothers!"

aye, Connery was the portugese brother and Lambert the scottish one.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 16 Nov 2012, 9:53 am

Born n bred Valley boy wife West Wallian kids English born from my time serving Queen and Country.

True friends are friends whatever creed colour or nationality
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Fri 16 Nov 2012, 12:45 pm

I loves england I do heart

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Fri 16 Nov 2012, 12:57 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:I loves england I do heart

Tidy...
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Fri 16 Nov 2012, 12:58 pm

Nice one butt

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by damage_13 Fri 16 Nov 2012, 1:03 pm

for 10 years I have been visiting the same pub, the Welsh banter quality has ebbed and flowed like the numbers of English supporters (see ya, glory hunters!) Some of the usual suspects have been great along with a few Scots and Irish, but there remains a greater ratio of Welsh planks to Welsh rugby lovers who enjoy banter.

You can spot them for the way they preen and turn up with gelled hair and far too tight shirts, never magnanimous in victory or gracious in defeat.

But it would never be the same without the three Welsh guys with their honorary Welshman who drinks and alarming amount of Guinness and speaks in a VERY strange Welsh accent.

Lions matches were fun.

damage_13

Back to top Go down

Post by Looseheaded Fri 16 Nov 2012, 1:41 pm

Entirely Welsh family, so raised supporting Welsh rugby... In Twickenham.

So I don't even know, I sound English, have lived in England, but just can't find myself supporting them, much to the irritation of my peers.

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Fri 16 Nov 2012, 1:58 pm

I am English born and bread. I love the banter on here. allthough their are times when the banter turns a bit sour you might say.

However i know it is just fans passion and emotions getting the better of them.

Especialy, if you are expecting you team NOT too lose against a team that untill this year you only played every 3/4 years. Whistle

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by englandglory4ever Fri 16 Nov 2012, 2:18 pm

No, when it comes to Rugby I don't think we can be friends. Outside of that is a different matter.

The Welsh crow far too much when they win and whinge and moan about everything and everybody else when they lose. The 1970s were their heyday and they never forget it even though it was in that quaint amateur era.

If they beat Samoa tonight then the RWC2015 is theirs. They just have to turn up to win it.

englandglory4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Fri 16 Nov 2012, 2:21 pm

And there goes the thread...

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerLewis Fri 16 Nov 2012, 2:25 pm

englandglory4ever wrote:No, when it comes to Rugby I don't think we can be friends. Outside of that is a different matter.

The Welsh crow far too much when they win and whinge and moan about everything and everybody else when they lose. The 1970s were their heyday and they never forget it even though it was in that quaint amateur era.

If they beat Samoa tonight then the RWC2015 is theirs. They just have to turn up to win it.

Please eject yourself from this thread while I bite my lip...

RogerLewis

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Fri 16 Nov 2012, 2:55 pm

Welsh born and bred with an english missus. Also consider myself British (and love it when we come together with our Irish Neighbours to form the lions)

So yes we can be friends I would support England against any other team outside the UK. The only reason I generally wouldnt against Ire/Scot is because I tend to go for the underdogs and with the exception of Ireland on occasions the celtic nations are usually underdogs!

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Fri 16 Nov 2012, 3:02 pm

Lived in Cardiff for four years. There is no love lost.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Fri 16 Nov 2012, 3:35 pm

Born and bread in England and by the grace of whatever Higher Power that may exist in the good City of Leicester. Sam therefore I'm a passionate Englishman
But as if to balance things up, Mum and Dad settled on a nice Welsh forename to go with my family name.

Whatever that proves I'm not sure - apart from the fact if there is a God, he's not to be trusted.

Good luck tonight (he uttered through gritted teeth Wink ) The Wales & England friends thread. 732107

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by englandglory4ever Fri 16 Nov 2012, 4:23 pm

"Please eject yourself from this thread while I bite my lip..."

Look you put up a question with a yes/no option then you get all picky about it when someone answers NO. Get over yourself or ask a different question if you don't like the answer.

englandglory4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri 16 Nov 2012, 5:33 pm

I think these Welsh chaps need a hug now. Can't be much fun.

Hug

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by englandglory4ever Fri 16 Nov 2012, 5:41 pm

Cyril that's priceless. Made me laugh.

englandglory4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Taff Fri 16 Nov 2012, 5:43 pm

The famous Cyril from 606. Nice to see some familiar posters.

Mr Taff

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerLewis Fri 16 Nov 2012, 5:54 pm

Mr Taff wrote:The famous Cyril from 606. Nice to see some familiar posters.

What was your old 606 name then mr taff??

RogerLewis

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down