The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ACL Injury?

+5
formerly known as Sam
Morgannwg
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
RuggerRadge2611
Geordie
9 posters

Go down

ACL Injury?  Empty ACL Injury?

Post by Geordie Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:43 pm

I was wondering if any of you guys had unfortunately gone through ACL reconstruction.

I had my ACL, medial meniscus and lateral meniscus done about 5 years ago. The problem is my calf has been knackered ever since no matter how much stretching, strength work etc.

As soon as i run...or do any impact work...it feels like someones taking a knife and hacking at it.

Has any one else had this problem? How did you fix it?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

ACL Injury?  Empty Re: ACL Injury?

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:57 pm

Is the ACL reconstruction the same as the tissue graft? Where they take tendons from the Hammy and Quad and surgically graft the tendons into position over where the ACL used to be?

I was offered it back in 2007 when I injured myself in a tackle. In my injury the damage to my leg was extreme. The cartilage was torn and my Kneecap cap was displaced in the force of the tackle, it took 3 operations to even get into the position of attempting the tissue graft.

At 23 years old it was a sad moment for me to give up on rugby but I had to decline the procedure.

My work was already suffering and my employers had a right to complain about my period(s) of absence. However I think it was the right decision to decline the operation but my consultant said I would be able to lead a good life without requiring any more surgery until I require a Knee replacement due to the certainty of rheumatoid arthritis I'm certain to get due to the damage to my patella and absence of cartilage.

I still get out running 3 times a week to keep this front row spread in check Wink
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:03 pm

Have had my knee rebuilt twice now, and it probably needs doing again tbh - so there comes a time when as long as it doesn't interfere majorly with your life, you just accept it. Stretching is vital tho for me personally before any form of exercise, preferably with a light warm-up and cool-down too if its serious exercise. Good luck, GF

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:12 pm

Rugger,

SOunds like there is similarities but not quite the same. Sounds a horrific injury though.
Does it affect you much?

ASBO,

Yeah i can get away with rowing machines, cross trainer etc...ironically i can even do stair work......BUT as soon as i start skipping or just getting out running on the flat...it near enough goes straight away and im in agony for about 2 weeks. (Needless to say i dont run on the flat anymore Wink ) but i was hoping that someone might have gone through the same and could give a little advice. I would love to be able to just get out and run along the beach again...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:24 pm

Nah, not really. Since I don't have an ACL at all anymore and my cartilage is smashed to pieces I do have a degree of instability in my left knee.

Occasionally it will slip out of its socket sometimes, painfully I might add however a couple of stamps will re-alighn the knee. I can walk it off after about 2 minutes and will be fine.

However if it pops out and I am idle for a while it can seize up and be very uncomfortable for the following few days.

I lead a good life as I said running 3 times a week covering on average 8-12 miles a week and I work in a very physcaly demanding job with the Royal Navy and don't have any problems.

I have resigned myself to a knee replacement at some point in the future but I have come to terms with that and what it will entail having seen my dad recover fully from the same operation only 2 years ago.

All the best with your recovery though Falcon thumbsup
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:06 pm

The WORST injury a rugby player can get. The leg on which you did it will never be back to 100%. For my first operation, (ACL grade 2 tear) they reconstructed it with my hamstring tendon. So it left me with a terrible hamstring. Ibruprofen tablets and ointment helped though, along with wrapping up my thigh in a bandage until it was better prepared for the intensity.

When that one snapped a couple years later (on it's own accord, not through another injury) they decided to reconstruct it with a donated graft. They have also insterted muscle tissue to the posterior side which apprently makes my leg stronger and reduces the chance of the graft failing while also reducing flexibility. So, if you can get some muscle tissue, go for it Smile. Can't let you know how it is yet, it's only been a couple weeks since I had this done.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:35 pm

I know two of my mates have had it done. Stretching daily is a must and even then I know both complain about it being tender after prolonged exercise. Both are back in their preferred sport.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:02 pm

Geordie,

Have you been back to see a physio?

I would suggest getting re-referred to discuss the symptoms. If this isn't forthcoming then I'd go see a sports physio privately to see if there is anything else you can do.

They reconstruct ACL's so you can return to actvity so they would not be expecting you to have such severe symptoms that you can no longer run. It might be that, having no cartilage in your knee, low impact execise might be a much better idea in any case but get it looked at.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:46 pm

Gordie,

Had my ACL reconstructed at the beginning of this year (plus meniscus and cartilage) still going through recovery, but I can exercise without pain in my calf (knee doubles in size though and can’t kneel or crouch). Has this pain been happening since you had the surgery or a recent thing? (apologies if you mentioned this already) if it’s been happening since you had the surgery I’d be getting checked out by a doctor.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:54 pm

Well the thing is i stretch alot...as i train hard every day...circuits, weights, boxing etc...

Most exercises its fine...but start the burpees and the skipping and shuttle runs and i begin to feel the pain.

The thing is as i said...its the calf thats the problem...not the knee. The knee is strong as ever...

Ah i might just need to do some different stretches or something.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:46 pm

Very sorry to hear about the ACL injury mate.

Nasty stuff. Make sure you find yourself a good physio for the recovery. The advice of good physios is invaluable.

I had a cartaledge op in the mid eighties. Still hiking now. Downhill can hurt a bit in the cold, but otherwise all good.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:55 pm

Geordie unless you have private health insurance and get a graft elsewhere (as in not from your own body) then you're screwed. The first reconstructions hardly last.

EWT Spoons wrote:Gordie,

Had my ACL reconstructed at the beginning of this year (plus meniscus and cartilage) still going through recovery, but I can exercise without pain in my calf (knee doubles in size though and can’t kneel or crouch). Has this pain been happening since you had the surgery or a recent thing? (apologies if you mentioned this already) if it’s been happening since you had the surgery I’d be getting checked out by a doctor.

Me neither. And if your knee still looks a slightly odd shape it's because the cartilage is out of place (although not to an extent where it can lead to further injury).

I'm assuming the pain in Geordie's calf is down to inactivity on the bad leg and then a reintroduction to sport and exercise.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:44 pm

Geordie, I did mine when I was 16 and get bad knee problems from time to time. I'm a gaelic player and not rugby but haven't given up on playing yet. It was the injury that got me interested in being a physio and am recently qualified. The lads have covered most of what I can tell you without a proper examination.

I've never had any calf issues as a result of my knee problems but do experience a lot of tendinitis and swelling. Have you being advised on any eccentric strengthening work? Or even biomechanical work I.e reducing the tension while running like on a trampoline? Balance work on a trampoline can work the intrinsic muscles of the foot and calf.

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down