The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

British and Irish Lions Watch 2012-13

+85
George Carlin
funnyExiledScot
ScarletSpiderman
dragonbreath
wickedwasp
MacKnocked-on
reallybored
The Great Aukster
gboycottnut
Submachine
Tattie Scones RRN
100%beefy
Glas a du
rainbow-warrior
welshboii15
WELL-PAST-IT
TJ1
Triangulation
gleesonisgod
Casartelli
Kingshu
captain carrantuohil
killer938
RubyGuby
Luckless Pedestrian
asoreleftshoulder
theslosty
JmD
bsando
EnglandRose
hawalsh
sirtidychris
IanBru
Sin é
boomeranga
fa0019
thebluesmancometh
21st Century Schizoid Man
OzT
belovedfrosties
king_carlos
AlastairW
thomh
Rugby Fan
LeinsterFan4life
Exiledinborders
majesticimperialman
GunsGerms
gregortree
BoyneRFC
bedfordwelsh
the-goon
SirBurger
yappysnap
HammerofThunor
bluestonevedder
EnglishReign
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
R!skysports
Mr Taff
samuraidragon
Mickado
toml
Cyril
BigTrevsbigmac
Pot Hale
RuggerRadge2611
timhen
rodders
niwatts
Poorfour
pete (buachaill on eirne)
lostinwales
bathmad
Rory_Gallagher
ChequeredJersey
mowgli
beshocked
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Dubbelyew L Overate
propdavid_london
whocares
Geordie
LondonTiger
LordDowlais
89 posters

Page 1 of 19 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 19  Next

Go down

British and Irish Lions Watch 2012-13 Empty British and Irish Lions Watch 2012-13

Post by maestegmafia Mon 15 Oct 2012, 12:32 pm

This thread started many months back and has been a gradual examination of who is picking who for the impending Lions Tour.

Now the Six Nations is over and all we have left to judge is the HEC and the various national leagues.

Last edited by maestegmafia on Mon 18 Mar 2013, 9:38 am; edited 6 times in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

British and Irish Lions Watch 2012-13 Empty Re: British and Irish Lions Watch 2012-13

Post by LordDowlais Mon 15 Oct 2012, 12:35 pm

I thought Tuperic played his best game of the season on Friday, how come he has not been rated ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

British and Irish Lions Watch 2012-13 Empty Re: British and Irish Lions Watch 2012-13

Post by LondonTiger Mon 15 Oct 2012, 12:37 pm

maestegmafia wrote:

Tighthead

Jones 7.6 Ospreys
Rimmer 7.3
Stevens 6

I ummed and ahhed over LH and Hooker. then saw Matt Stevens felt that Skys credibility was kaput.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 15 Oct 2012, 12:49 pm

Shocked wow some scary suggestions there....

I thought Hartley played well v Glasgow....and Cole did well v Toulouse.

Seeing Borthwicks name there will scare a few...but hey...the guy is a world class lineout man...and Sarries have the pack to make up for the failings elsewhere in his game.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 15 Oct 2012, 1:28 pm

LordDowlais wrote:I thought Tuperic played his best game of the season on Friday, how come he has not been rated ?

He probably has but he was deemed not as worthy as those above him... I didnt vote on this, I dont work for Sky Sports Rugby.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 15 Oct 2012, 1:30 pm

LondonTiger wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Tighthead

Jones 7.6 Ospreys
Rimmer 7.3
Stevens 6

I ummed and ahhed over LH and Hooker. then saw Matt Stevens felt that Skys credibility was kaput.

Likewise Adam Jones selection. he played about 30 mins, sin bin for 10, a game and did little other than scrum. Cole and Jhnstone ahead of Jones and definitely Stevens, he was awful in scrum and loose.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Mon 15 Oct 2012, 2:00 pm

No Steffon Armitage ? if his bro is there, he should be there as well given he get credit to Delon tries.
I know its a subject that have been discussed Ad Nauseam nut nevertheless he does a very good job in the rucks and have heard french pundits calling him the
Spoiler:

Last edited by whocares on Mon 15 Oct 2012, 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 15 Oct 2012, 2:04 pm

whocares wrote:
ps : please dont open this spoiler if your name is AWOP
ps2 : the author does not take any responsability for the controversy that might arise

Maybe advisory for the interests of all others than your mate, that you dont post something on a thread that you are contributing to that may ruin its enjoyment for others by the actions of those, other than yourself in response to your post...?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Mon 15 Oct 2012, 2:11 pm

fair enough Maesteg, my intention is not to ruin the thread as I still think I have at least a valid point. I just wanted to warn other that the comparision is obviously exagerated and not from me.
I will edit my post if you think I was fishing for problems.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 15 Oct 2012, 2:15 pm

cheers mate...

completely agree regarding Steffan Armitage, he is in far better form than any other English openside... Harks back to the neil back days. I mentioned as much on the thread regarding England team for the AI's after round 1 HEC.

https://www.606v2.com/t36071-englands-ai-team-based-on-european-1st-round

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Mon 15 Oct 2012, 2:17 pm

Looks like Sherridan was extremely solid for Toulon at LH.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by Dubbelyew L Overate Mon 15 Oct 2012, 2:24 pm

Blimey, 8 Chief players mentioned, 6 in the pack. Much as I think Exeter players are generally under-rated, this, I think, overcompensates just a tad too much.

Perhaps it was the pink strip that got the Sky pundits all excited.

Dubbelyew L Overate

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 15 Oct 2012, 3:18 pm

Either that or they hadn't noticed the difference between Leinster of the last two years and the Leinster of this year.

Poor old Leinster are missing a fair number of crucial players.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 15 Oct 2012, 3:37 pm

Armitage should have been Englands answer to that flamin 7 spot years ago. But for some reason MJ just didnt rate.

I just cant see him making the squad again...which is a shame as he's class.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 15 Oct 2012, 4:54 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Armitage should have been Englands answer to that flamin 7 spot years ago. But for some reason MJ just didnt rate.

I just cant see him making the squad again...which is a shame as he's class.

He may not have had a fair go, but in his limited appearances, at a time when his club form was excellent, he just looked a notch below what is needed. His speed was not quite good enough, and he looked under-powered compared to international back rows.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 16 Oct 2012, 6:50 am

Dubbelyew L Overate wrote:Blimey, 8 Chief players mentioned, 6 in the pack. Much as I think Exeter players are generally under-rated, this, I think, overcompensates just a tad too much.

Perhaps it was the pink strip that got the Sky pundits all excited.
Laugh

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 18 Oct 2012, 6:13 am

Planet Rugby

2013: Who will make the plane?

With the excitement building ahead of 2013's visit to Australia, we decided to pump up the volume by introducing a regular British & Irish Lions watch!

Every three weeks or so Planet Rugby will update its leaderboard for who should pack their bags, who should keep the diary open and who should stock the fridge with a few beers, pizzas and ice creams for soaking up the tour on the couch, as the most coveted of selections fast approaches.
We must stress that long-term injuries have been taken into account for our calls. However, those nearing a return to action are accommodated.
Here we go - make sure to give your feedback.
FULL-BACKS

Kiss the wife and kids goodbye: Mike Brown has been the form full-back during the early-season, with his ability to offer a threat in the first line of attack as well as at the back priceless. Meanwhile Leigh Halfpenny's goal-kicking makes him a certainty for boarding the plane.
On standby: Rob Kearney, Alex Goode, Lee Byrne
Best make other plans next June: Ben Foden, Stuart Hogg, Rob Miller, Delon Armitage
WINGS

Kiss the wife and kids goodbye: Alex Cuthbert and Tommy Bowe have been in amongst the tries so far this season while Chris Ashton and Tim Visser provide power and speed for Saracens and Edinburgh respectively. George North also makes the cut right now but will need a solid November Test series and Six Nations to hold off those players on standby.
On standby: Sean Lamont, Andrew Trimble, Simon Zebo
Best make other plans next June: Ugo Monye, Keith Earls, Charlie Sharples, James Simpson-Daniel, David Strettle
CENTRES

Kiss the wife and kids goodbye: These six pretty much wrote themselves into this squad as Jamie Roberts, Brian O'Driscoll, Manu Tuilagi, Brad Barritt and Jonathan Davies have been consistently top quality. Owen Farrell may be included as a 10/12/13 so he sneaks in.
On standby: James Hook, Anthony Allen, Ashley Beck, Darren Cave, Scott Williams, Dom Waldouck
Best make other plans next June: James Downey, Paddy Wallace, Gordon D'Arcy, Jordan Turner-Hall, Fergus McFadden
FLY-HALVES

Kiss the wife and kids goodbye: Let the comments commence. Jonathan Sexton is widely rated as the favourite to start but after Gatland's mention of Jonny Wilkinson - to go with his pain of 2001 - we bring in Toulon's form 10. Dan Biggar has overtaken Rhys Priestland.
On standby: Toby Flood, Rhys Priestland
Best make other plans next June: Ruaridh Jackson, Ronan O'Gara, Danny Cipriani, Charlie Hodgson
SCRUM-HALVES

Kiss the wife and kids goodbye: 2009 saw four nines make the trip so on form we have Danny Care and Greig Laidlaw. If Mike Phillips can keep his head down in Bayonne then both he and Ben Youngs should hold off Lee Dickson and possible bolter Paul Marshall.
On standby: Lloyd Williams, Lee Dickson, Paul Marshall
Best make other plans next June: Conor Murray, Richard Wigglesworth
NUMBER EIGHTS

Kiss the wife and kids goodbye: A tough one here as Jamie Heaslip played his first match of the season last week but should get back to form in a few rounds. Nick Easter seems to have Conor O'Shea and also most of the English press banging his drum so these two pip David Denton, Thomas Waldrom and Ben Morgan. It will be very interesting to see who Wales go for in November as Toby Faletau has fallen down the pecking order while it was interesting to see Ulster originally name Stephen Ferris at number eight for their game with Castres. We like a possible 6 Dan Lydiate/Sean O'Brien, 7 Sam Warburton, 8 Ferris axis.
On standby: Thomas Waldrom, David Denton, Ben Morgan
Best make other plans next June: Peter O'Mahony, Jordan Crane, Toby Faletau, Andy Powell, Richard Baxter
FLANKERS

Kiss the wife and kids goodbye: Depth aplenty here for Gatland as England captain Chris Robshaw, Wales skipper Warburton, Irish powerhouse O'Brien and the aforementioned Ferris seem to just about have the edge over Ross Rennie, Justin Tipuric and Tom Croft (who ruled out playing in the November Tests recently but should soon be back firing in club colours). Tom Wood has already made his rugby return and could make a surge this year.
On standby: Justin Tipuric, Ross Rennie, Tom Croft, Dan Lydiate
Best make other plans next June: Phil Dowson, John Barclay, Alasdair Strokosch, Andy Saull, Rob McCusker, Tom Wood
SECOND-ROWS

Kiss the wife and kids goodbye: Two guys who made it to South Africa and two newbies make our cut for lock. Paul O'Connell and Alun-Wyn Jones are likely to muscle their way in while Courtney Lawes' performance was dynamic over the weekend against Glasgow. Leicester's Geoff Parling is a real workhorse who impressed a great deal during the tail end of the Six Nations and in June. Donnacha Ryan has that lock/back-row string to his bow.
On standby: Donnacha Ryan, Richie Gray, Nathan Hines, Mouritz Botha, Ryan Jones
Best make other plans next June: Bradley Davies, Al Kellock, Donncha O'Callaghan
HOOKERS

Kiss the wife and kids goodbye: It doesn't look as though any rivals will budge this trio of Dylan Hartley, Rory Best and Ross Ford out of their international starting spots before Gatland sits down with his pen and paper. Tom Youngs is the possible bolter here.
On standby: Matthew Rees, Richard Hibbard, Richardt Strauss
Best make other plans next June: Sean Cronin, Tom Youngs
PROPS

Kiss the wife and kids goodbye: Good strength for the B&I Lions up front and that will be vital against a Wallabies line-up that has long been associated with weak scrummaging. There's no doubt Australia has improved in that department of late but with Dan Cole, Adam Jones, Cian Healy, Gethin Jenkins and possibly even a return for Toulon starter Andrew Sheridan, this is one area Gatland and his coaching staff will be targeting for points.
On standby: Tom Court, Andrew Sheridan, Alex Corbisiero, Mike Ross
Best make other plans next June: Euan Murray, Mako Vunipola, Allan Jacobsen
By Adam Kyriacou
@PlanetRugbyAK

Comments from Planet Rugby - TEAMtalk Media

DeliciousDiggredditFacebookStumbleUpon
Comments
marzie says...

Rob Kearney and Richie Gray only merit standby places? Eh? Would have thought Strauss would be a definite squaddie too, offering significantly more than say, Dylan Hartley around the park. As long as he gets Ireland time of course.

Posted 00:51 18th October 2012
ScarletFever says...

Dan Biggar overtaken Rhys Preistland? Mmmmmm... NO. He hasn't.

The editor says.... Priestland has been struggling for form since June and Biggar won the personal battle in recent Scarlets v Ospreys fixture.

Posted 23:29 17th October 2012
missionary says...

From a neutral perspective (NZ): Richie Gray on standby - is PR stupid? Brad Barrit at centre - is this the best that the Lions can do? Scott Williams of Wales all day long. Owen Farrell - well I think he is average but can cover 1st Five. Lions have a lack of 10s though if Wilko is in the mix. Won't get that backline going and Pocock / Hooper / Gill will mow him down. No 8s look all wrong. Easter won't cut it down there. Not much else to pick from and Heaslip - doesn't seem to do it against the good teams (not that Aus are at the moment). Ferris might be lucky IMO. Oh and Australia will do nothing but target that idiot Hartley. I'm looking forward to this tour.

Posted 23:26 17th October 2012
ArmchairGeneral says...

@Rockman. Hartley has matured. Good call on Cullen.

@Rolf. You read it. Because its a hot topic.

@mckenna. No english and only Sale represented from Aviva in your 15. Agree Sale and Pro12 are about equal.

@liam2me Ashton can't score against good opposition: you must have forgotten Eng Oz game in Oz, the country the Lions are touring and where Wales lost 3 whereas Ashton won it for England. Daft comment.

I fear Wales will be over represented despite poor recent Oz track record compared to England Ireland and Scotland who can beat them. Lidiate and Jones only ones for the 15 from Wales. And coach. Gray from Scotland. Core from England and Ireland.

Posted 20:38 17th October 2012
DBRowan says...

Uh... a bit premature. Let's see if Easter can start for England before we put him above Morgan, and has everyone forgotten how brilliant and reliable Faletau has been over the past year? To take Easter over Faletau to Australia is bloody ludicrous! Mike Brown also needs to displace Foden as England starter before he can think about Lions. For that reason, Kearney, Halfpenny and Foden are well ahead of the rest. Three awesome options in those guys.

And get it right, it's a bit sad PR when you list Greg Laidlaw as a 9 when he has been playing 10 for Scotland his entire international career.

The editor says.... It is Laidlaw's ability to play both 9-10 that helps his case for selection.

Posted 20:28 17th October 2012
jmckenna92 says...

Jenkins, Best, A.Jones

POC Gray

Ferris, Warburton, O'Brien

Philips Sexton

Roberts BOD

Bowe North Kearny

Subs Rees, Cole, AW Jones, Faletau Care, Priestland/Flood, Halfpenny

Posted 19:10 17th October 2012
jmckenna92 says...

Jenkins, Best, A Jones

POC Gray

Ferris, Warburton, O'Brien

Philips, Sexton

Roberts, BOD

North, Kearny Bowe

Subs, Rees, Cole, AW Jones, Faletau, Care, Priestland, Halfpenny

Posted 19:06 17th October 2012
Sincero says...

APV1 wonders is Sexton 'too ;ight wieght' (sic), and suggests Wilkinson instead. A well-phrased argument by a reasonable chap.

Wilkinson: 1.78m, 89kg... told early in his career not to tackle or take much contact, wrapped in cotton wool.

Sexton: 1.89m, 92kg... told early in his career he can do it all... does it all... wrapped in glory.

If Wilkinson's form continues, I'd certainly bring him, but Sexton must be miles ahead in the race for the test 10 jersey.

Richie G. of Sale goes from nailed-on to not even a mention in the rejects category... poor lad.

Posted 19:04 17th October 2012
Rolf says...

The tour is June 2013, right?

So what do you think your pedictions or whatever you might label this will be worth THEN?

Nobody can tell the future, not even the weathermen.

If you do not have anything to report with at least a little substance, then fold it or bring on more photos.

But stop hyping where every one knows. coz its ennoying-

Posted 19:00 17th October 2012
ArmchairGeneral says...

10 Freddie Burns is my wild card given the scarcity of form international 10s.

Sherridan is keeping GethinJ on the bench at Toulon and should go. Ozzies are terrified of him.

Lidiate must be 6. Fight for 7. I'd have Armitage. 8. Ferris.

No England centres please unless Joseph has a good November in white.

O'Connell no thanks. BOD yes please.

Captain: first name on the sheet so Lidiate given that Warburton and Robshaw may not start.

Posted 18:52 17th October 2012
liam2me says...

Ashton is a waste of space, never produces the good against decent opposition, should be a dirt tracker, nothing more.

In fact, there are way more English players then will represent any Lions side with any honour.

If Planetrugby were picking the side the previous tour of New Zealand would be considered a raving success compared to what's above.

In the real world, even allowing for the inevitable Welsh collapse in this years 6N, the touring side will mainly be Welsh players due to the coaching ticket, suggesting anything else shows nothing but ignorance for this sport.

Posted 18:42 17th October 2012
Kent says...

APV1 - No your'e wrong (yet again). Implausible to think they'll start without George North and Mike Phillips.

Posted 18:33 17th October 2012
makemehappy says...

Halfpenny almost a certainty for the 15 spot now. Pace of a wing, very correct player, great at getting out of trouble, and the trump card is that his kicking is as good as anyone's these days.

I'd want Adam Jones starting. Really gives those Wallabies a hard time every game.

Can't believe Hook gets a mention these days.

Warburton every day over Armitage and others.

Not sure if Paul O'Connell has lost his edge. Worthy of a place on tour of course, but he never seems to play these days, and when he does isn't as good as he was. Having said that I didn't think he impressed on the last Lions tour.

Charteris and Gray need to be considered at lock.

Don't let Ashton near the test team. Has been shown up far too many times in terms of ability and without doubt, attitude!

Posted 17:57 17th October 2012
Rosbif says...

One word. (...and it's not mediocre!). Ok, maybe it's two words in reality:

Steffon Armitage

(P.S. if wilko, sheridan, jenkins, and the 2 armitages play, that's quite a contribution from toulon!)

Posted 17:40 17th October 2012
heart_of_oak says...

APV1 are you suggesting Robshaw as number 8 ?

Posted 17:32 17th October 2012
NewScot says...

Some hideous names in here!

Nick Easter - Most overrated player ever!

Geoff Parling - Really?!

Greig Laidlaw - Is now playing 10 for both Edinburgh & Scotland

No Richie Gray - Come on he's a dead cert

Posted 17:23 17th October 2012
Stag91 says...

Dan Tuohy is my outside bet!

Posted 17:14 17th October 2012
NHsaints says...

The rest are fine apart from Delon Armitage needs to be in there and the second row combo should be Gray/Lawes.

Posted 17:05 17th October 2012
NHsaints says...

It's so difficult to choose with so much talent in so many positions, I reckon there's a really good chance for the lions to make up for 2001 which is why this is my team (including injuries).

15- Brown/Kearney/Halfpenny with Foden in the squad as he could potentially cover any postion in the backs (if needs be) and Hogg/Payne as backup.

Wingers- North/Visser/Ashton/Bowe with outside bets for Wade, Trimble, Lamont, Cuthberts and James Simpson Daniel.

Centres- Tuilagi/Roberts/Davies/Joseph/Ansbro with outside bets on Waldouck, BOD, Downey and Morris...personally I don't think JTH should be anywhere near an England or Lions Jersey.

Posted 17:04 17th October 2012
rockman says...

Why am i the only one on this site that doesn't rate that thug Hartley? I hope to god he doesn't get on that plane. He is useless and a liability on the pitch. I think Rees has to go. now that Strauss is Irishised he could throw a spanner in the works if he can get back last years form.

The way Easter is playing now he deserves to go but not start.

Jenkins is good but isn't getting much play time in Toulon.

Owen Farrell Deserves to go on form. Luke fitzgerald is back from injury in Jan and if he finds form will go.

Ben Youngs? Ben youngs? did you see his game at the weekend? He single handedly ruined the tigers attack through bad hands slow ball and ridiculous decisions to take quick penalties to go himself, how cockerill kept him on is a mystery.

Zebo should be no where near on standby he was shown to be way out of his depth against a pour Leinster Team.

If Ferris is fit and firing on all cylinders you cannot kept him out of the starting XV, end of!

I agree with the second row pairing but Lawes could start if he keeps the head.

Tom Court cannot be considered. He's just not up to the Standard.

Now here's my controversial choice, not for the starting XV but to tour. Three time Heineken Cup Winning Captain Leo Cullen. His experience cannot be ignored by the Lions like it has been by school teacher Kidney. He'd made an unbelievably good squad Member and bring so much to the table.

Can't wait for the tour!

Last edited by maestegmafia on Thu 18 Oct 2012, 6:17 am; edited 1 time in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 18 Oct 2012, 6:14 am

ESPN

The start of the Heineken Cup saw the battle for a place on the British & Irish Lions' tour to Australia intensify with the battles between Europe's best set to be a key proving ground in the coming months.

As we all tick off the days until the team depart Down Under, ESPNscrum will cast an eye across the action and pinpoint those players eligible for the elite tourists who are pushing their selection claims with strong performances. Lions coach Warren Gatland has revealed that he is prepared to cast the selection net beyond international rugby so expect competition to be fierce.

There is a lot of rugby to be played until the squad board the plane for Hong Kong and plenty of time for hopes to rise and fall with many international stars yet to return to the domestic fray but the excitement is already building.

15. Lee Byrne (Clermont Auvergne)

Leigh Halfpenny appears to have the Welsh fullback spot nailed down but previous Lions tourist Byrne was in superb form against the Scarlets on Saturday. He bagged one of Clermont's six tries and was solid under the high ball.

14. Alex Cuthbert (Cardiff Blues)

The Welsh winger ran Sale ragged grabbing a hat-trick at the Salford City Stadium. The first of his three scores came thanks to a good break from Jamie Roberts but the second try was all Cuthbert with the Blues flyer scoring a brilliant solo effort just three minutes later. And he completed his hat-trick before the 40 minute mark darting through the Sale tacklers to dot the ball down.

13. Jonathan Davies (Scarlets)

Although Clermont hammered the Scarlets, Davies was the Welsh region's standout player. He scored their sole try of the game and in a match that was heavily stacked against the Scarlets following Morgan Stoddart's 37th minute red card, Davies' performance would have given Simon Easterby some heart.

12. Olly Barkley (Racing Metro)

In his first start for Racing, Barkley knocked over 14 points and constantly pinned Munster back with accurate kicking from hand.

11. Eli Walker (Ospreys)

The 20-year-old winger crossed for an impressive solo effort against Treviso on Friday evening and always made yards with ball in hand. With the likes of Shane Williams and Tommy Bowe departing for pastures new, Walker has the opportunity to make the Liberty Stadium his own.

10. Charlie Hodgson (Saracens)

The Aviva Premiership's in-form fly-half destroyed Edinburgh on Saturday. He contributed 25 points to their 45-point haul and also crossed for one of their five tries.

9. Paul Marshall (Ulster)

Marshall has taken full advantage of Ruan Pienaar's spell away with the Springboks and was the catalyst behind Ulster's impressive showing against Castres. He grabbed their second try thanks to a great chip and chase move.

Exeter's Tom Hayes plucks the lineout against Leinster © Getty Images
Enlarge
1. Joe Marler (Harlequins)

The prop turned in a performance far beyond his tender years against Biarritz and proved to be a constant thorn in Francisco Gomez Kodela's side. Alongside Rob Buchanan, the Quins front-row had a youthful feel but it did not show against the Top 14 giants.

2. Richard Hibbard (Ospreys)

The Ospreys dominated the scrum against Treviso and also excelled in the loose. Expect to see him featuring prominently for Wales during the November Tests.

3. Mike Ross (Leinster)

It was a poor performance by Leinster's high standards against Exeter but Mike Ross had the edge on the Chiefs front-row throughout. He was probably their standout performer.

4. Tom Hayes (Exeter Chiefs)

Exeter took their Heineken Cup bow against Leinster and although they fell to a defeat, they caused the back-to-back European champions some real headaches and can feel aggrieved at only having a losing bonus point to their name. Hayes led from the front throughout, was superb in the set-piece and can be pleased with his showing.

5. Steve Borthwick (Saracens)

Although out of the England picture, Borthwick is still one of the most consistent operators in the Premiership. He was masterful at the lineout against Edinburgh and was handed the man of the match award.

6. Iain Henderson (Ulster)

In just his fourth senior appearance for Ulster, Henderson nullified the sizeable threats present in the Castres back-row. The Lions will come too soon for the 20-year-old but he could pull on the green of Ireland sooner rather than later.

7. Tom Wood (Northampton Saints)

The Saints openside will surely have impressed the watching England coaches Andy Farrell and Graham Rowntree with a typically industrious display. He racked up plenty of yards with ball in hand and was a formidable presence in the lineout and the loose.

8. Nick Easter (Harlequins)

Easter continues to roll back the years for Harlequins and was handed the man of the match award against Biarritz on Saturday evening. He had the rub of the green all game against the French back-row and continues to makes noise regarding an England recall.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu 18 Oct 2012, 8:50 am

How is Kelly Brown not at all considered by Planet Rugby? He's as good/ superior to most of the flankers listed.

He also schooled Denton in their recent encounter.

I am sure he'll stroll back into the Scotland starting line up for the AIs. Might even get the captaincy.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 18 Oct 2012, 11:36 am

Beshocked there are always a number of good players not mentioned in these things.

I agree Brown played really well, deserved a mention. Thought the Sarries open side, Fraser(?) showed a great deal of talent too...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by mowgli Thu 18 Oct 2012, 6:07 pm

Haskell also doesn't get a mention on Planetrugby....wonder why

mowgli

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri 19 Oct 2012, 8:54 am

Agree with that maestegmafia. I can understand not including Fraser though. Fraser is not even on the England radar let alone being considered for the Lions.

Kelly Brown on the other hand has 49 caps for Scotland. Would have been their captain in the 6 nations if not injured.

Mowgli what did Haskell do in the HC in week 1? Wink

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 19 Oct 2012, 9:08 am

Who is Haskell playing for? Is he still in Japan?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by mowgli Fri 19 Oct 2012, 5:24 pm

Isn't he back at Wasps sharing a bath with Dayglo

mowgli

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 19 Oct 2012, 5:43 pm

mowgli wrote:Isn't he back at Wasps sharing a bath with Dayglo

This is correct. they are not in the HEC though. No idea how he did in the Amlin but his form has looked OK so far this season in the Premiership
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by mowgli Fri 19 Oct 2012, 5:45 pm

Is he even in the EPS?

mowgli

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 19 Oct 2012, 5:48 pm

Nope, dropped by SL, though as Croft looks to still be injured there is an injury space
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by mowgli Fri 19 Oct 2012, 5:50 pm

I notice he has stopped writing his lamentable blog on MSN and wonder if it is his tendency for seeking attention and publciity that turned lancs off or was he playing poorly

mowgli

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 19 Oct 2012, 5:51 pm

He was playing relatively well in South Africa, so I wouldn't be surprised if media related things had a part to play in SL's decision as he seems rather set on what he wants from his players aside from rugby
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 19 Oct 2012, 6:12 pm

I am pretty delighted to see Hendy mentioned in these teams already. He is going to be some player. OK

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by bathmad Mon 22 Oct 2012, 2:16 pm

Shame this hasn't been replicated for week 2, because there's one player who definitely played himself out of Lions contention for me - Alex Cuthbert. He's tall and lanky but is convinced he's big, and looked for contact almost every time he got the ball vs Toulon. He should stick to what he's good at with decent pace and a step.
Very poor performance.

bathmad

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Mon 22 Oct 2012, 2:19 pm

At the current rate the same could be said for a number of high profile Scots

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon 22 Oct 2012, 2:47 pm

BASED ON WEEK 2 (can't admit to seeing all games)

Cole-Best-Ross
POC-AWJ
Jones-Easter-Armitage
Care-Cipriani
Williams-Tuilagi
Zebo-Byrne-Arscott

pete (buachaill on eirne)

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Mon 22 Oct 2012, 3:58 pm

Erm, Cole and Ross are both THs...
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 22 Oct 2012, 4:00 pm

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:BASED ON WEEK 2 (can't admit to seeing all games)

Cole-Best-Ross
POC-AWJ
Jones-Easter-Armitage
Care-Cipriani
Williams-Tuilagi
Zebo-Byrne-Arscott

Good call bar the two tightheads as mentioned above.

Maybe swapping Cole for Heeley or Marler.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by niwatts Mon 22 Oct 2012, 5:19 pm

bathmad wrote:Shame this hasn't been replicated for week 2

They update the index on the Sunday of each HC weekend:

http://www1.skysports.com/rugby-union/news/11979/8187074/Lions-Index

niwatts

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 22 Oct 2012, 5:29 pm

Cheers NiWatts...

jut copy and pasted Sky Sports contribution.

1 - Joe Marler (Harlequins) Average Score 7.3

Dean Ryan says: Marler is improving all the time but he needs to prove that at international level; he needs to take this form and be able to illustrate what he can do in the Autumn Internationals before he can become a Lion contender. Interesting to see Andrew Sheridan come back in second place - he is still a force. How many Australian scrums has he ruined?

Second: Andrew Sheridan - 7
Third: David Kilcoyne -6.3

2 - Richard Hibbard (Ospreys) Average Score 7.3

Despite another solid display from Hibbard, the Ospreys still failed to get a vital bonus point as they lost 22-39 to Leicester at Welford Road. A disappointing weekend for the Opsreys forwards after a dominating display in round one.
Second: Adrian Flavin - 7
Rob Buchanan - 6.9

3 - Adam Jones (Ospreys) Average Score 6.6

Paul Wallace says: Although Adam Jones still tops the pile I don't think either he or Dan Cole - two big Lions contenders - stood up. I thought Mike Ross had a storming game and rightly moves into contention. Against Exeter he did not have one of his better games, but he really came back and deserved his man of the match award.
Second: Mike Ross - 6.2
Third: Carl Rimmer - 6.2

4 - Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys) Average Score 7.5

The Ospreys skipper said his side was too slow to the breakdowns and lost control of the territory after they lost to Leicester. he also went on to say that things are never as good as they look or never as bad as they look...
Second: Steve Borthwick - 7
Third: Michael Swift - 7

5 - George Robson (Harlequins) Average Score 7

A solid forward performance helped Harlequins escape Galway with a win to take them clear of Pool 3.
Second: Ian Evans - 6.5
Third: Courtney Lawes - 6.3

6 - Rob McCusker (Scarlets) Average Score 6.7

Ieuan Evans says: Exeter never allowed Leinster to settle or allow them to develop them any sort of rhythm in the game. They were very physical and aggressive and I thought it was an excellent performance from Exeter.
Second: Tom Johnson - 6.6
Third: Ryan Jones - 6.5

7 - Chris Robshaw (Harlequins) Average Score 7.3

Scott Quinnell says: Robshaw is going very well and taking that form on into Europe. But who is right underneath him? Steffon Armitage. He could well be going on the Lions tour but not considered for England.

Second: Steffon Armitage - 7.3
Third: Josh Navidi - 7

8 - Nick Easter (Harlequins) Average Score 8.2

Dean Ryan says: Nick Easter at No.8 and quite rightly so. He has been outstanding for two weeks. I don't care what debate it causes but this Index is all about form and he has been sensational. It would not surprise me if Warren Gatland said 'I could do with someone like that'.
Second: Peter O'Mahony - 7.2
Third: Toby Faletau - 7

9 -Danny Care (Harlequins) Average Score 8.3

Paul Wallace says: I am impressed with Care's maturity. We all know about his sniping and running ability, but he showed a lot of maturity against Connacht which has been a tough place for Quins to go recently.
Second: Paul Marshall - 8.1
Third: Kieran Marmion - 8

10 - Danny Cipriani (Sale) Average Score 7.5

Scott Quinnell says: I am not sure how the others marked Toby Flood but for me he was right up there and I am surprised he is not in the mix yet.
Second: Charlie Hodgson - 7.5
Third: Dan Biggar - 7.1

11 - Sam Smith (Harlequins) Average Score 7

Helped Harlequins go clear at the top of Heineken Cup Pool 3 after a 30-22 victory over Connacht in Galway.
Second: Eli Walker - 7
Third: Simon Zebo 6.6

12 - Jamie Roberts (Cardiff) Average Score 7.6

Roberts' and Cardiff's Heineken Cup hopes were left hanging by a thread after Toulon ran out 22-14 winners at Cardiff Arms Park.
Second: David McSharry - 7.5
Third: Ashley Beck - 6.8

13 - Jonathan Davies (Scarlets) Average Score 8

Despite being ruled out of the Scarlets team for their vital Heineken Cup clash with Leinster, Davies first week performance still sees him in the mix.
Brad Barritt - 7
Third: Eoin Griffin - 7

14 - Alex Cuthbert (Cardiff Blues) Average Score 8.5

Did not get as many chances as he did last week but still remains at the top after the scores were in for round two of the Heineken Cup.
Second: Tiernan O'Halloran - 7
Third: Hanno Dirksen - 6.5

15 - Leigh Halfpenny (Cardiff) Average Score 8.1

Scored a try and kicked three out of five penalties but could not help Cardiff bag a losing bonus point as they lost to Toulon at home.
Second: Delon Armitage - 7.7
Third: Luke Arscott - 7.1

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 22 Oct 2012, 6:05 pm

Lions Watch: Team of the Week
ESPN Staff
October 22, 2012

The start of the Heineken Cup saw the battle for a place on the British & Irish Lions' tour to Australia intensify with the battles between Europe's best set to be a key proving ground in the coming months.

As we all tick off the days until the team depart Down Under, ESPNscrum will cast an eye across the action and pinpoint those players eligible for the elite tourists who are pushing their selection claims with strong performances. Lions coach Warren Gatland has revealed that he is prepared to cast the selection net beyond international rugby so expect competition to be fierce.

There is a lot of rugby to be played until the squad board the plane for Hong Kong and plenty of time for hopes to rise and fall with many international stars yet to return to the domestic fray but the excitement is already building.

15. Luke Arscott (Exeter Chiefs)

Despite Exeter being on the wrong end of a hammering against Clermont, Arscott's performance was up there with the best. His second-half dummy on Sitiveni Sivivatu was class and he also made some good ground.

14. Andy Short (Worcester Warriors)

It was a near-farsical match against Rovigo with Worcester crossing 14 times but Short's hat-trick warrants a place in this week's XV.

13. Manu Tuilagi (Leicester Tigers)

The Tigers centre grabbed two tries against the Ospreys and always made yards will ball in hand. He will probably start for England in the November Tests and could feature for the Lions next summer.

12. David McSharry

It was a confident performance from the 22-year-old centre and he capped an impressive showing with a try after just six minutes. He showed no signs of being fazed by the challenge of Jordan Turner Hall and got the edge over the England centre on a few occasions.

11. Leigh Halfpenny (Cardiff Blues)

We're cheating a bit here, but we had to get both Arscott and the Welsh flyer into the team despite Halfpenny lining up at fullback against Toulon. He missed a couple of kicks against the French side but scored a sensational try and constantly pinned them back with the boot.

10. Toby Flood (Leicester Tigers)

Flood was in inspired form against the Ospreys and contributed 24 points to their total. He scored an intercept try and also booted over a monster penalty from way inside his own half. He appears to be hitting top form at just the right time before the autumn internationals. Saracens' Charlie Hodgson and Leinster's Jonny Sexton pushed Flood close for a spot in the team.

9. Danny Care (Harlequins)

The scrum-half was a constant thorn in Connacht's side and capped his impressive performance with two tries. He looks likely to be England's first-choice No.9 going into the November Tests and if he continues in this vein on the international stage then he is in with a real shout of making the Lions tour. Munster's Conor Murray, Leicester's Ben Youngs and Exeter's Haydn Thomas also deserve honourable mentions.

1. Dave Kilcoyne (Munster)

He was outstanding in the loose and also got the edge on Geoff Cross in the scrum. Munster's pack was one of the primary reasons behind their win over Edinburgh and Kilcoyne was at the forefront of everything they did well.

2. Rory Best (Ulster)

Best excelled against the Warriors in a match where the conditions put paid to any chance of running rugby. The set piece was essential and Best put in a good showing.

3. Mike Ross (Leinster)

Ross got the better of Phil John throughout their match with the Scarlets and reinforced his claim as one of the best props in Ireland.

4. Steve Borthwick (Saracens)

Borthwick scored a try for Sarries and exerted his influence throughout their clash with Racing Metro. He seems to be out of the England mix but he is still one of the most consistent operators in the Premiership.

5. Paul O'Connell (Munster)

Don't bet against O'Connell featuring for the Lions next summer. The 2009 captain is playing some superb rugby and appears to be hitting form at just the right time.

6. Jamie Gibson (London Irish)

The Exiles had it easy against Mont-de-Marsan running in 11 tries but Gibson's performance - which included a score of his own - would have made the England management take note.

7. Steffon Armitage (Toulon)

Despite being out of the Test loop, the openside was hugely influential against Cardiff on Sunday. He collected the Man of the Match award and also crossed the whitewash.

8. Nick Easter (Harlequins)

Easter continues to roll back the years for Harlequins and was one of their go-to men when looking to make a dent in the Connacht defence. Peter O'Mahony shone for Munster but Easter gets the nod.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 22 Oct 2012, 11:07 pm

Planet Rugby's Team of the week, plenty of Lions candidates...

From www.planetrugby.com

Now that the dust has settled, Planet Rugby thought it only right to hand out some praise to the star players of the Heineken Cup, Round Two.

All six Pools are shaping up very nicely going into the break as Saracens, Toulouse, Harlequins, Ulster, Clermont, Toulon set the early pace.

That sextet all won over the weekend and have eight representatives in our selection, with an English half-back duo making up our 9 and 10.

So without further ado, here comes our offering - be sure to send in your own 15-1 team line-ups.

15 Luke Arscott (Exeter) - It seems harsh to leave out Leigh Halfpenny after his try but what Arscott did in a losing battle against Clermont could not be ignored. He made metres aplenty, broke the line and caused the French quite a bit of bother on Saturday. A mention for Alex Goode.

14 Alex Cuthbert (Cardiff Blues) - As one Cardiff Blue misses out, this one just makes it in. Cuthbert was once again a threat for his side and despite not crossing the whitewash, was a constant thorn in Toulon's side. Toulouse wing Vincent Clerc finished well against Treviso while Ken Pisi was solid for Northampton.

13 Manu Tuilagi (Leicester) - Has he scored two more important tries? Tuilagi started and finished Leicester's remarkable revival against the Ospreys as they kept their hopes of topping the 'Pool of Death' alive. Mentions for Seremaïa Burotu and Mathieu Bastareaud.

12 Wesley Fofana (Clermont) - It was a case of anything Gael Fickou can do, I can do better from Fofana as he showed France coach Philippe Saint-André that he remains the young go-to-centre. Matt Giteau cut the Blues apart while Connacht's Dave McSharry also shone.

11 Napolioni Nalaga (Clermont) - Fofana was not the only Clermont back to cross twice as Nalaga also got a double against the Chiefs. We felt Martin Bustos Moyano and Chris Wyles (in his 100th game) deserve a shout while Fetu Vainikolo was excellent against Quins.

10 Toby Flood (Leicester) - A few names dipped their toe in the selection pool this week but no one made more of a splash than England hopeful Flood. Was instrumental in Leicester picking up all five points. Mentions for Rémi Tales, Francois Trinh-Duc and Jonny Wilkinson.

9 Danny Care (Harlequins) - The picture looks pretty bright at scrum-half for England right now as Ben Youngs and Care both put in top shifts. Conor Murray silenced his critics with a man-of-the-match effort while Morgan Parra proved again he is France's best nine.

8 Louis Picamoles (Toulouse) - A freak. If you can check out his try against Treviso then do it. Nick Easter, Peter O'Mahony and Damien Chouly all put in decent showings over the weekend but we couldn't look past what Picamoles was doing. Strength, pace and skills.

7 Steffon Armitage (Toulon) - Justin Tipuric made light of Leicester's lack of an openside early in the piece on Sunday while Julien Bonnaire and Mamuka Gorgodze both put in strong shifts in Round 2. Chris Henry also deserves a well done but Armitage makes it.

6 Thierry Dusautoir (Toulouse) - Last weekend Josh Navidi was superb in defeat for Cardiff Blues and put in another shift against Toulon. But in an hour Dusautoir was exceptional for Toulouse. His subsequent injury is a major blow to the French ahead of November. Meanwhile, a mention for Leicester's Steve Mafi and Montpellier's Fulgence Ouedraogo.

5 Paul O'Connell (Munster) - Ross Ford will have nightmares all week after Paulie's effort at the line-out. The veteran stole a great deal of set-piece ball from Edinburgh as Munster strolled to a 33-0 victory over the strugglers. Courtney Lawes was impressive in defence.

4 Steve Borthwick (Saracens) - Two weeks in a row for the old stager. Borthwick scored a fine try as he continues to lead by example at the Heineken Cup hopefuls. Leicester lock Graham Kitchener was also good while Treviso's Francesco Minto got through a lot of work.

3 Mike Ross (Leinster) - Two of three likely Lions tighthead travellers were excellent as Dan Cole and Ross stood up well against the Ospreys and Scarlets respectively. Ross sneaks this selection though as he picked up the official man-of-the-match at Parc y Scarlets.

2 Schalk Brits (Saracens) - It was noticeable that when Brits was replaced in the 55th minute by John Smit, the tempo that Saracens had took a substantial nose dive. Rory Best was strong for Ulster while Montpellier's bulky Argentine Agustin Creevy also played well.

1 Mihai Lazar (Castres) - Precious few come out on top against the Northampton front-row but Castres managed it on Friday. Lazar was key to that result which is why he pips Munster's Dave Kilcoyne and Thomas Domingo of Clermont to our number one jersey.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 23 Oct 2012, 9:38 am

This was posted as PR's team of the 6 Nations earlier this year.

15 Rob Kearney (Ireland) - Strong efforts from Leigh Halfpenny, Stuart Hogg and Ben Foden were all outdone by Kearney, who was solid under the high ball and also threw in fine running from the back to prove he has returned to his best form. That defeat to England offered few chances to show what he is capable of but we had already seen enough.

14 Alex Cuthbert (Wales) - It was tough to leave out the championship's top try-scorer, Tommy Bowe, but how could we overlook Cuthbert? Only taking up the game at sixteen years of age and made his RaboDirect PRO12 debut for Cardiff Blues back in September 2011, Cuthbert has taken to Test rugby like a duck to water and deserved Saturday's try.

13 Jonathan Davies (Wales) - The 23-year-old is set for a long future in the Welsh jersey and will soon push hard for a British and Irish Lions starting spot. He scored two tries against Ireland in round one and his carrying ability was consistently backed up by solid defence, highlighted by his winning of a relieving penalty on his own line against France.

12 Wesley Fofana (France) - Why the stand-out inside centre was uprooted from number twelve and shifted to wing for the final weekend had us all scratching our heads. But like Kearney, his gold star was earned earlier on as he scored four in four games and was a classy runner for les Bleus. A mention for bustling duo Brad Barritt and Jamie Roberts.

11 George North (Wales) - His bounce-off of Ireland's Fergus McFadden will be a lasting memory of Six Nations 2012. He and Cuthbert were workhorses coming off their wings.

10 Owen Farrell (England) - Started out at centre but injury to early-championship try-scorer Charlie Hodgson meant Farrell was thrust into the ten shirt. That is where his future lies with England as he demonstrated poise and solidity throughout. He pips Rhys Priestland.

9 Mike Phillips (Wales) - Our toughest selection due to so few scrum-halves putting their hand up. While he sometimes attempts to take on the opposition all by himself, Phillips is one of only a small percentage of nines capable of mixing it physically with back-rows. Solid.

8 Sergio Parisse (Italy) - From difficulty finding an option, we come to a jersey that had three names pushing hard to occupy. David Denton announced himself to the rugby world this Six Nations while Ben Morgan has been a real coup for England since choosing white over red before the 2012 championship. However, one man who continuously goes above and beyond what is expected of him is Parisse. His statistics in each game this year were excellent as he carried, tackled, took line-outs and won turnovers for his fifth-placed side.

7 Chris Robshaw (England) - It was hard to leave out Ross Rennie, who was great for Scotland during the opening rounds, while Sam Warburton and Justin Tipuric were also good when on the field. Robshaw though gets in for his work rate and how he has led a new-look team. Thierry Dusautoir was also as robust as ever in jersey six (openside).

6 Dan Lydiate (Wales) - The masses have spoken. Lydiate was voted by our readers as the top player in the Six Nations. Case closed. Mention for Tom Croft after that effort in Paris.

5 Ian Evans (Wales) - Evans was the surprise package for the Grand Slam champions as he stepped up well in place of Luke Charteris. The Osprey played every minute of the Six Nations and put in enough hard yards to see off Geoff Parling and Yohann Maestri.

4 Richie Gray (Scotland) - Superb. Gray was Andy Robinson's best player. Lions starter.

3 Adam Jones (Wales) - We had a call for Nicolas Mas and were also torn over whether Dan Cole had done enough to oust a certain Welshman. But Jones is in and looks back in top physical condition, joining Gethin Jenkins and Ryan Jones in having won three Slams.

2 Rory Best (Ireland) - Two tries for Ireland's most-capped hooker, who enjoyed a solid season that saw him become captain after injuries to Brian O'Driscoll and Paul O'Connell.

1 Gethin Jenkins (Wales) - What a workhorse Jenkins is. He was injured for the first game but upon his return showed just how much he offers. Toulon have signed something special as his efforts have proved he is now the number one number one in Europe.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 23 Oct 2012, 12:07 pm

606 V2 Pundits team from the V2 journal page:-

http://v2journal.com/the-606v2-british-lions.html

This is the team they have selected:

15 Kearney
14 North
13 Tuilagi
12 Davies
11 Halfpenny
10 Sexton
9 Phillips

1 Jenkins
2 Best
3 Jones
4 Gray

5 O’Connell
6 Ferris
7 Warburton (C)
8 Faletau

16 Healy
17 Ford
18 Charteris
19 O’Brien
20 Blair
21 Farrell
22 Foden

Biltong

Biltong is a South African and hence brings an outsider’s perspective.

Amongst his most interesting selections is: “10. ”

“At 10 I think the Lions are going to have a problem, neither Farrell, Priestland, Sexton or Laidlaw is really convincing yet. If someone doesn't start showing their hand, with Genia/Cooper or Genia/O'Connor there is trouble on the horizon.”

He also has reservations as to Mike Phillips who he sees as the only option and the coach:

“As far as who should be the coach and what game plan he will select is a conundrum.”

Robinson doesn’t impress him, Kidney has got enough on his plate at home and: “the English don't even have a permanent coach yet. That would leave Gatland, which I think is a mistake. I would suggest they get an outsider. Ask Graham Henry, or Nick Mallet to coach them and manage them from an outside perspective. These guys will be more objective and favouritism won't play a role.”

He also suggested an ‘alternative’ back row of Rennie, Warburton and Heaslip to maximise mobility and work rate to counter the threat of Pocock.

Hywel Davies

Hywel (as the name might suggest) is a Welsh fan. He also follows the Scarlets.

“To beat Australia in Australia, you have to have a pack of forwards than can beat them in the tight and match them in the loose. Evans, Gray and Charteris are athletes that will take pressure off the back row in the tight.

My team is about using the conditions to our advantage, getting our forwards around the park and fronting up at the scrum”

In a departure from the preferences of his National coach, Hywel prefers Jonathan Davies as an inside Centre, to team up with Tuilagi. This was a permutation also backed by Biltong. “Davies and Roberts are very similar, although I think Davies has the better eye for a break. Both he and the outside half should be all about making space for Tuilagi and North, knowing when to break is a big part of that”.

“Eddie O Sullivan as coach may raise eyebrows. He has the benefit of an insider’s understanding the Lions concept whilst still being something of an outsider in terms of selection. He’s always had his backs posing a threat.”

Pete Osborn

“Ozzy” is a true blue London Irish fan. He is not Irish and doesn't live in London (boom-boom!). He supports England.

“I want a side to play at high tempo and take the game to Australia, players who are capable of crossing the gain line and keeping the ball alive.”

An eye catching selection is Andrew Trimble on the right wing. “He would be given freedom to express himself (he hasn’t had for Ireland) and has the pace, power and intelligence to be a real handful for the opposition”.

Pete also rates Alex Corbisiero on the loose head. “He’s a monster in the loose and a competent scrummager. His tackle rate will be needed to repel Australian invaders.”

He also makes a case for the Welsh back row as an unit. “They complement each other unbelievably well. Lydiate is a tackle machine, Warburton a dog on the deck and great link man and Faletau a monster carrier. They can cause any team in the world problems in attack and defence. Captaincy seems to spur Warburton on to even higher performance levels, when it might sit heavily on other’s shoulders”

Tim Williams

Tim is a Dragons fan and also a Wales fan, with French sympathies, an English mother and North Walian father. It may not be surprising then that his was the most unconventional team.

Tim believes a full front row on the bench would pay dividends “Cian Healy and Euan Murray can make an impression off the bench, Murray at the scrum, Healy in the loose.”

He also suggests a rookie half back partnership: “Gareth Davies is lightning off the mark around the fringes and is just as physical as the often ponderous Mike Phillips. This would free up Duncan Weir, an excellent playmaker and the top points scorer in the Pro 12”

Another left field call is Ashley Beck. “Think Gavin Henson only younger and better and with hairier legs. With this footballer at 'first five-eighth' the Lions would have attacking threats from 9 to 13.”

Finally he suggests Hogg on the right wing due to his pace and ability to beat men one on one.

Donal Treacy

Donal is a Munster and Ireland fan.

He was not the only backer of Healy at the loosehead position, but his choice of second rows came as a bit of a surprise:

“04 Jim Hamilton
05 Geoff Parling

Hamilton and Parling offer a fascinating if unheralded (you said it! Ed.) pairing combining the skills of a brawling enforcer and a lineout tactician”

As to the back row “You need a tackler so get Chris Robshaw in there to allow the others (Ferris and Warburton) to do their thing.

He shares Tim’s halfback philosophy, but his recipe is different: “lets get good ball movement, vision and keep the Aussies guessing. Reddan and Sexton is a proven combination at both club and country”

He is another backer of the Davies/Tuilagi centre partnership: “Davies in his Scarlets number 12 alongside the most exciting 13 to burst onto the scene since O'Driscoll; Tuilagi”

As to full back “Stuart Hogg may be grabbing headlines but he is behind Foden, Kearney and Halfpenny in a VERY competitive position.” He opts for the otherwise un-fancied Foden.

Siobhan Corcoran

She’s the Welsh girl with an English dad and an Irish name.

Ross Ford has impressed her in this campaign: “hugely consistent with his throwing in, great leadership qualities, very good in the loose and the scrum.

Adam Jones is a virtually unanimous choice at tight head, as she puts it: “he’s just a rock at the scrum, no other comes close to him.

She is another who wanted to keep the Welsh back row intact: “Whilst Ferris has been playing a blinder for Ireland, I don't think he'd link in well with Faletau or Warburton. Same goes with not including Denton, don't think he'd link in well with Warburton and Lydiate. The Welsh back row are a sublime unit, I just wouldn't want to mess about with them.”

So there we have it. We hope you enjoyed it as much as we have. To discuss these choices and put forward your own take a look at 606v2.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 23 Oct 2012, 1:17 pm

15. Kearney
14. Bowe
13. Tuilagi
12. O'Driscoll(c)
11. Halfpenny
10. Sexton
9. Care
8. R.Jones
7. O'Brien
6. Ferris
5 O'Connell
4. Gray
3. Cole
2. Best
1. Healy

Bench. Ross, Straus, Hines, Tipuric, Phillips, Wilkinson, North
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by timhen Tue 23 Oct 2012, 2:32 pm

Good job collating all these maestegmafia, but I'm not sure on the relevancy of that last post to this thread, that debate and selection by the V2 pundits took place at the end of the last 6N, whereas the thread and the other selections here are meant to be based on current form off the back of the HC.

timhen

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 23 Oct 2012, 2:45 pm

Just out of curiosity...when is the actual squad picked and announced?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 23 Oct 2012, 2:53 pm

timhen wrote:Good job collating all these maestegmafia, but I'm not sure on the relevancy of that last post to this thread, that debate and selection by the V2 pundits took place at the end of the last 6N, whereas the thread and the other selections here are meant to be based on current form off the back of the HC.

i was trying to find what we all thought a while ago. I comprised a big poll on who people thought should go post Six Nations. Couldn't find it. Found this instead.

Thought it was interesting for those who had missed it.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 23 Oct 2012, 2:55 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Just out of curiosity...when is the actual squad picked and announced?

Rumours say April 2013

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 23 Oct 2012, 3:07 pm

Ah i see...so we've still got a good 5 months of rugby for players to hold their form, stay injury free...or make the jump from newbie to international...

I think these AI's and 6n could unleash a few bolters this time round.

Some really good young players in all the nations coming through (on the verge of internationals or just got in)...and these might just be the games to push them ahead of their older compatriots...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by timhen Tue 23 Oct 2012, 4:08 pm

Fair enough, though it might be worth stating at the top of that post when that selection took place, I started reading it assuming it was recent and then realised that a fair few couldn't be on current form, but only found reference to when it took place when I clicked on the link.

timhen

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 23 Oct 2012, 4:11 pm

I agree GF

And we should be keeping a good eye on the "bolters" this time round. It is very likely there will be some good performances made in the next few months that will shake up perceived selections.

Hense with the above posts I thought it was interesting to look at preconceptions of last year as well as current.

There is a good pool of players in the four nations and I don't think there is anyone certain to make the tour just yet...

The selection will hopefully go down to the wire.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 24 Oct 2012, 10:44 am

Here is an ESPN article from June 2012

British & Irish Lions

Which players will roar for Lions in 2013?
Graham Jenkins
June 22, 2012

Will Wales' Sam Warburton be leading out the British & Irish Lions in Brisbane a year today? © Getty Images
Enlarge
Related Links
Tournaments/Tours: British and Irish Lions tour
Teams: Australia | England | Ireland | Scotland | Wales
The British & Irish Lions will tackle Australia in the first Test of an eagerly-awaited series exactly one year from today - but who will line-up for the elite tourists in Brisbane?

A epic season must play out before what will surely be an incredible occasion at the magnificent Suncorp Stadium with hopes and dreams of making the trip set to rise and fall along the way. The strong showing from the Home Nations during the current inter-hemisphere skirmishes suggests that the Lions will possess a formidable bite come 2013 with the battle to get on the plane to Australia - via Hong Kong - set to be every bit as intense and thrilling as the showdown with the Wallabies.

The spectacle that is a Lions tour returned to its brilliant best in South Africa in 2009 to make the prospect of sharing in the experience even more alluring. Thirty-seven players were initially chosen to make that memorable trip and that will no doubt be the blueprint for the Lions' latest challenge that is set to be orchestrated by Wales coach Warren Gatland - but who will emerge as the best of the best?

We gaze into our crystal ball to predict who will spearhead the Lions' quest for glory.

15. Leigh Halfpenny (Wales)
Ireland's Rob Kearney may be seen by many as the best fullback at the Lions' disposal but Halfpenny's versatility and rocket-like boot will surely emerge as a key weapon for the tourists. Cruelly denied a starring role in 2009 by a thigh injury, expect him to shine Down Under but there remains time for England's Ben Foden to press his claims.

14. Chris Ashton (England)
He may be without a try in his last eight Test outings but a move to Saracens should re-ignite his career and propel him back to his best form. Ireland's Tommy Bowe, who will also be embarking on a fresh challenge with Ulster, may have some valid claims to the No.14 shirt having put his injury concerns behind him.

13. Brian O'Driscoll (Ireland)
The talismanic Irishman famously cemented his status as one of the world's best centres on the Lions' last visit to Australia in 2001 and their latest visit could provide a fitting send-off. But there is no room for emotion when it comes to selection so expect O'Driscoll to defy injury and earn his place with another stand-out season and hold off the challenge of the likes of England's Manu Tuilagi.

12. Jamie Roberts (Wales)
Voted the Lions' best player during their bruising battle with the Boks in 2009, Roberts remains a class act. Given Wales' familiarity with Australia, the Wallabies will be well aware of the threat posed by Roberts but stopping him should prove another matter altogether.

11. George North (Wales)
The giant Welsh wing has notched 11 tries in his first 23 Tests and should he maintain that impressive strike-rate over the next year then it may well end up deciding the series. Such is his current status on the world stage, he may well be the first name on the team sheet but should Scotland's Tim Visser transfer his domestic form to the Test stage then he may well force his way into the reckoning.

10. Jonathan Sexton (Ireland)
The stage is set for a new fly-half to write his name into Lions folklore but who will be tasked with dictating proceedings in Australia? Sexton's game-breaking best may see him handed the honour ahead of Wales' Rhys Priestland with the battle between Owen Farrell and Toby Flood for the England No.10 shirt also set to be a key indicator as to their hopes.

9. Mike Phillips (Wales)
Phillips was another star performer on the 2009 tour of South Africa and having helped propel Wales to the Six Nations Grand Slam he remains the leading contender to fill the No.9 shirt again. But the battle between Ben Youngs and Danny Care for the England scrum-half spot may lift both into the frame.

1. Cian Healy (Ireland)
Healy's impressive industry has carried him to new heights of late and that significant momentum may yet carry him to Australia and into the Lions' Test side. Wales' Gethin Jenkins may have something to say about that so expect fireworks in the next few months.

2. Dylan Hartley (England)
Perhaps the most open of positions, it is destined to be the most keenly-contested during the November internationals and next year's Six Nations. Ireland's Rory Best may hold the aces at present but Hartley, who will captain his country for the first time this weekend, looks poised to silence his critics once and for all.

3. Adam Jones (Wales)
A truly world-class player, Jones will be expected to spearhead of formidable-looking Lions pack. He has three Grand Slam triumphs to his name and has set his sights on 100 caps - a path that will no doubt include another three appearances for the Lions.

4. Richie Gray (Scotland)
The shaggy-haired lock has been tipped for a place on the 2013 tour ever since he emerged on the international stage. He may not have reached the heights he hit during the 2011 Six Nations but his pace and all-round athletic ability make him a certain tourist.

5. Geoff Parling (England)
Parling made his international breakthrough during this year's Six Nations but don't expect his ascent to stop there. Another eye-catching season with the Tigers in the Premiership could see him calling the shots at lineout time for the Lions. The experience of Ireland's Paul O'Connell also looms large.

6. Tom Croft (England)
An ever-present in the Lions' Test side in South Africa, he remains a potent threat at the set-piece and in the loose. A superb try against France in this year's Six Nations was the latest reminder of the damage he can do but he will need to maintain that kind of form with the likes of Wales' Dan Lydiate and Ireland's Stephen Ferris breathing down his neck.

7. Sam Warburton (Wales)
Warburton's qualities are well known to Gatland and the rest of the world thanks to his exploits at last year's World Cup. That tournament proved to be a major learning experience for the flanker and a likely titanic tussle with the Wallabies' first-choice, and arguably the world's best, openside David Pocock is one of the major draw cards for the series. But he will not be able to rest on his laurels with the likes of England's Chris Robshaw, Ireland's Sean O'Brien and Scotland's Ross Rennie bound to be in the hunt.

8. Toby Faletau (Wales)
The 21-year-old was one of the driving forces behind Wales' run to the Rugby World Cup semi-finals and the Grand Slam and as a result must be favourite to retain the support of Gatland and anchor the Lions' scrum. But don't be too surprised if another relative newcomer in Scotland's David Denton causes the Lions' management to stop and think.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 19 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 19  Next