The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Freddie Burns

+6
yappysnap
Rinsure
HERSH
Geordie
sirtidychris
Norfolkinchance
10 posters

Go down

Freddie Burns Empty Freddie Burns

Post by Norfolkinchance Thu 11 Oct 2012, 10:00 pm

Hi guys, I'm new to the whole 606v2 thing after being a big fan of the old 606 site.

Anyway, I was wondering what people think of Freddie Burns.
He's been in fantastic form recently and I believe he deserves a start at 10 this autumn.
Is he anyone else's 1st choice? Or is most people's preference Flood with Farrell covering 10/12
He's on fire at the moment

Norfolkinchance

Back to top Go down

Freddie Burns Empty Re: Freddie Burns

Post by sirtidychris Fri 12 Oct 2012, 9:13 am

Flood is our best flyhalf and also I feel massively underated by most England fans. Freddie burns is a huge talent however bar a run of injuries I worry he will stay in the Saxons squad. Owen Farrell is the incumbent and what with his dad in the coaching set up he is going to be hard to dislodge. Farrell has the head, attitude, defense and kicking game but lacks the attacking flair really needed at the top level, personally I would like to see burns given a go.

sirtidychris

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 12 Oct 2012, 10:54 am

I would start Flood, but i would have Burns on the bench for the Fiji game to give him 20-25 mins. If he looks ok...consider him on the bench for the next game aswell.

We have a problem at FH. Flood is probably most fans first choice...but who is the back up or indeed main challenger....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Fri 12 Oct 2012, 11:15 am

He deserves some game time against Fiji, I'd also rate him above Farrell.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 12 Oct 2012, 12:20 pm

Hersh,has Heathcote been playing?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Fri 12 Oct 2012, 12:28 pm

Nope. back soon I hope.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Rinsure Fri 12 Oct 2012, 12:32 pm

Flood has to be first choice. On song and behind a winning pack he can orchestrate gain line running rugby - witness the great start against Wales in 2011, I think it was. He's fit, and clear first choice.

Backup? Farrell needs to go off and work on his running / passing game. Yeah, his defence is bang on and his boot clearly works, but decision making, running the game, and the aforementioned passing and running let him down.

Who else? Burns looks good, mercurial even. Be nice to see him get some game time off the bench.

Ford? Not seen much of this season - how's he doing?

Rinsure

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 12 Oct 2012, 12:39 pm

Hersh...do you think he is a genuine prospect?

I think at the moment Burns is playing himself into the first challenger...back up role.
But we have Ford, Heathcote, Farrell...etc who all have strengths and weaknesses...so who knows.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Fri 12 Oct 2012, 12:43 pm

Heathcote needs another 1 or 2 season's at club level, then who knows.

Talented player but behind Ford and Burns at the moment.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 12 Oct 2012, 12:54 pm

I'd actually be looking at bringing in 36 during the AI's, he has to my mind been even more impressive then Burns so far, not just in attack but with his level of control and game management, plus his tackling is fecking massive now (he's a couple of inches taller and and nearly 10 pounds heavier then Barritt!)

I'd like us to start Flood and play Twelvetrees at 12, his kicking from hand is sublime and will take a lot of pressure off of Flood's shoulders allowing him to stand up close and attack the line.

If this works I don't think we'll need to worry about trying to rush in Burns or Farrel, we can wait until the 6N's and summer tour for that instead.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 12 Oct 2012, 1:04 pm

Agree Twelvetrees really looks to be flourishing...regular gametime has its benefits...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by sirtidychris Fri 12 Oct 2012, 1:29 pm

Hope twelvetrees gets in, to my mind he is the number 12 england has been missing since will greenwood retired, he's big, he has great hands, a great boot, he's young, he tackles like demon and he has a history of playing with manu and toby. Still cant see lancaster and farrell picking him over thier sarries favourites of farrell jr and barrit.

sirtidychris

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 12 Oct 2012, 2:52 pm

sirtidychris wrote:Hope twelvetrees gets in, to my mind he is the number 12 england has been missing since will greenwood retired, he's big, he has great hands, a great boot, he's young, he tackles like demon and he has a history of playing with manu and toby. Still cant see lancaster and farrell picking him over thier sarries favourites of farrell jr and barrit.

Sadly I think you might be right there.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 12 Oct 2012, 5:48 pm

I actually think we might be surprised regarding farrell. I dont think they are bad as we are making out. They must know that he needs to sort a few things out in his game. If they do pick him...ill have to raise my concerns over their position as England management.

Barritt i have no problems with...he has been one of Englands stand out players....and to simply throw him aside is ludicris...

Id certainly have Twelvetrees involved at some point v Fiji aswell...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Norfolkinchance Fri 12 Oct 2012, 5:55 pm

Long term is Farrell a 10? Or a 12 with George Ford playing 10?
Will Ford get game time when Flood is away or will Bowden start?

Norfolkinchance

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Fri 12 Oct 2012, 6:02 pm

It's difficult to find flaws in Freddie's game at the moment. I'm torn on this one, I think Glaws really need him but at the same time, I've watched him develop as a player at Kingsholm and it would be fantastic to see him flourish with England.

At Gloucester, Burns and Twelvetrees are developing into a masterful combo. Hope they get a chance with England too.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 12 Oct 2012, 6:05 pm

I just dont see Farrell as a 12 at all. He is a ten in my eyes

I would hope they play Ford whilst Flood is away. They spent time bulking him up...talking the talk etc...now they need to give him the games when they're available.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Norfolkinchance Fri 12 Oct 2012, 7:20 pm

How long will it be until Farrell gets regular game time at 10 though?
Hodgson is still a fantastic 10 and seems to start more games then Farrell...
I fail to see how Farrell will get in the 22 (or is it 23 now?) but Burns won't. I'd start Burns at 10 against Fiji. Flood hasn't got anyone really pushing him.

Norfolkinchance

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 12 Oct 2012, 11:17 pm

Will Ford get game time when Flood is away or will Bowden start?

Cockers has already said that Bowden is the third choice 10 and second choice 12. Ford will be playing.

At Gloucester, Burns and Twelvetrees are developing into a masterful combo.

They didn't start out that well in the Saxons last season but seem to be flourishing this year. Given Sarries backline form has been iffy they could get a chance sooner rather than later.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by sickofwendy Sat 13 Oct 2012, 5:27 pm

I think that gloucester not being in the HC will count against him.also I don't think there is room in the .eps for both.if flood gets injured against AUS with 12 to play and we're 6pets up who would you rather have on the bench?

sickofwendy

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 13 Oct 2012, 8:57 pm

if flood gets injured against AUS with 12 to play and we're 6pets up who would you rather have on the bench?

Given what I've seen in terms of recent kicking form from Burns and Farrell I'd say Burns. He offers more around the pitch as well.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 13 Oct 2012, 9:56 pm

As an outside bet we could see Botica sneaking in to the Saxons if Burns/Twelvetrees do get into the EPS

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat 13 Oct 2012, 10:35 pm

Too soon and he has to indicate a wish to play for E gland first. I'd rather keep him at Quins, looks a very good player but we do need to at least reduce the players who learnt rugby in another country making our national team
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by sickofwendy Sun 14 Oct 2012, 3:34 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:
if flood gets injured against AUS with 12 to play and we're 6pets up who would you rather have on the bench?

Given what I've seen in terms of recent kicking form from Burns and Farrell I'd say Burns. He offers more around the pitch as well.

Can't argue really.farrell won't be getting much practice either,not with the form Charlie is showing.38 caps over 11 years,such a waste.

sickofwendy

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 14 Oct 2012, 2:29 pm

As an outside bet we could see Botica sneaking in to the Saxons if Burns/Twelvetrees do get into the EPS

There's Bowden as well. I'd prefer to see Clegg, Hodgson (from Falcons) and Burrell would be preferable cover in the Saxons at 10 or 12 though. We have talent but need to develop it.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down