The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cleverly US fight

+13
seanmichaels
Valero's Conscience
rob-glos
JabMachineMK2
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
BoxingFan88
Rodney
ShahenshahG
TRUSSMAN66
Super D Boon
owen10ozzy
Lance
spencerclarke
17 posters

Go down

Cleverly US fight Empty Cleverly US fight

Post by spencerclarke Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:12 am

Afternoon all,

Source BBC website:
WBO light-heavyweight champion Nathan Cleverly will make his fourth title defence in Los Angeles on 10 November.

The 25-year-old Welshman was set to fight Ukrainian Vyacheslav Uzelkov in Cardiff on 27 October.

But Cleverly will now fight on a card alongside WBC super-bantamweight champion Abner Mares and IBF bantamweight champion Leo Santa Cruz against an unnamed opponent.

"It's a dream come true to defend my world title in America," Cleverly said.

"On such a big show it takes my career to a whole new level, it's a golden opportunity to make a big statement that I'm the leading man in the light-heavyweight division.

"It will be exciting and challenging to get the recognition of the American fans and media and prove to them that I'm the real thing.

Continue reading the main story
“We've been trying hard to get Shumenov and Cloud to come over here... I'll go to their own territory and embarrass them”

Nathan Cleverly

WBO light-heavyweight champion

"Of course, I love fighting and headlining in front of my Cardiff home fans, but this shows that I'm not scared to leave my home comforts and risk my title by putting it on the line in another country, that's what being a world champion is all about, I relish the challenge.

"It's a big test in my career, but I'm ready and won't be overawed. I think that this will give my performance a sharper edge because I'm not at home and the pressure to perform will be on me."

Cleverly is keen for unification fights with WBA light-heavyweight champion Beibut Shumenov and IBF light-heavyweight champion Tavoris Cloud and hopes his American trip to fight at the Staples Center will put pressure on them to agree to face him.

"We've been trying hard to get Shumenov and Cloud to come over here and fight me but they've been reluctant to make the trip, so if they won't come to me I'll go over there and fight them," Cleverly added.

"I'll go to their own territory and embarrass them into facing me."

American great Bernard Hopkins and IBF super-middleweight champion Carl Froch - who would have to face Cleverly at a catch-weight - have also been approached as potential opponents.

While Cleverly's proposed defence against Uzelkov at the Motorpoint Arena in October now off, his promoter Frank Warren indicated that the venue could be used for another title defence in early 2013.

That is assuming the Welshman sees off his opponent in Los Angeles, with an announcement expected shortly.

The two chief-supporting title fights that had been scheduled for the Cardiff card, Junior Witter v Frankie Gavin for the British welterweight championship and Ovill McKenzie v Enzo Maccarinelli for the Commonwealth light-heavyweight championship have been rearranged.

Witter v Gavin will now headline a promotion at the York Hall Bethnal Green on Thursday 1 November, while McKenzie v Maccarinelli has been added to the Queensberry Promotions show on Friday 9 November at the Liverpool Olympia as chief support to the clash between Paul Butler and John Donnelly for the vacant British super-flyweight belt.

Warren said: "I'm delighted that Nathan has got the opportunity to showcase his talent in America at this stage of his career. He's eager to show the American fans what he's made of and a win will set up big unification fights next year."

Cleverly has also indicated he would like to use Cardiff City Stadium, the home of the Cardiff City Football Club he supports, as a venue for a title defence sometime in summer 2013.

So guys any chance this could be a proper fight at last? I really hope so. It at least looks more positive than in the past.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Cleverly US fight Empty Re: Cleverly US fight

Post by Lance Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:22 am

i heard ticket sales were poor for his next fight. obviously made the decision to change plans that bit easier

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:41 am

It will be against a tough mexican/argentinian who has a fair few losses on his record but will have a style that will suit Nathan and allow him to put on a bit of a show and perhaps be the first to stop him....basically a showcase fight with little risk involved.

The biggest thing from this....yet another cancelled card for Warren and boxnation channel. He will be dividing the card up and putting the fights on local bills now as far as I am aware...

How that channel is staying afloat god only knows.

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:33 am

The Uzelkov fight would have been better as this guy was a former top 10 operator who's somewhat lost his way. Could still have been regarded as too risky for Cleverly!

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:43 am

Who cares.....So obvious this kid is going to avoid anything decent.......

Typical WBO champion.........next defence is the milkman...then it's the butcher and then it's the local greenkeeper...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:48 am

Hes got a partnership with GBP and Sauerland I think. I watched a couple evenings of fights over dinner and a shisha pipe at a neighbour s- despite the quality not even approaching that of a professional broadcaster or fighters far removed from the elite - its still quite a pleasant evening to watch. I asked him why he kept it and he replied that he didnt want to miss out on any big domestic fights and that he didn't want to go through the hassle of continuosly joining and leaving. Thats quite a statement from a man who only watches the higher tier boxing save when he invites me over. I imagine that theres a fair number of people who are of that frame of mind.

I think one on one sports and boxing especially rarely have fans that cut off completely - and its easy to get into the sport when you can just watch one fight independently rather than following the fortunes of a team over the course of a season so people are willing to keep the channel as a failsafe. Just like people who keep the movie channels even though they're too busy to watch more than once a fortnight. If it depended entirely on what he actually provided the idea wouldn't have gotten off the ground.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:00 am

Totally agree Shah mate, I think many get mixed up in Boxnation only showing Warren shows they don't thankfully. My question is if we're boxing fans where are you watching boxing ? To be fair I couldn't care less who Cleverly fights it just means I can watch Mares v Moreno on the same bill probably one of the match ups of the year, rather that drivel like prizefighter.

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:19 am

Love to see him fight Campillo, that would be a great fight, only time I have seen Campillo lose is from a robbery.

The American audience also know him since he schooled Cloud.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:50 am

Its marvelous if done right mate, cool smoke with a pleasant taste that'll set your stomach and depending on the quality of the materials - maybe a months worth of use per flavoured packet. Will your health allow you to smoke some?! I could offer some tasty suggestions if so

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:03 am

Same in the arab nations, but there its like drinking over here - but much more brilliant and inventive without passing out. For example - some people stick it in a backpack and smoke it while they cycle to work. Negotiations are done over a pipe and some tea/fruit and it works out quite well.

Just pop down with your mates - its 15-20 pounds a pipe between two people so you could just get 1 just to sample it.

As for smoking outside - its a result of the smoking ban that has unintentionally increased pipe smoking because people like you actually see it going on and it both fascinates and it doesnt have that smoke filled seediness that indoor shisha places have.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:48 pm

There is a fantastic little place we go too in Amsterdam Shah near the central station that has shisha pipes.....obviously its not the flavoured stuff that you're talkin about in them, but they are pretty cool pieces of kit!!

Anyhoo, from what I read, Nathan Cleverlad is still fighting Urzekreksjajdkakdkak or whoever he is, with the fight still being in LA. But after this, Warren will send another email to Hopkins, Hearn etc saying, "will you fight nathan". The email will go into their junk folder and face automatic deletion, therefore Froch, Hopkins, Cloud etc are all ducking Nathan Cleverly due to not having decent email security. Because if they did, they would have got Frank's email.

Roy Jones Jr has offered Clev a fight....wouldn't be surprised if this happens.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:32 pm

Cleverly US fight Luton-10

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:35 pm

Urgh.

Cleverley. Warren. WBO. Champion. undercard.

vomit

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:52 pm

Cleverly would knock RJJ out easily.

Roy is close to turning into Danny Williams with that ridiculous punch resistance. Unfortunately he still has a name and fought Calzaghe so it would probably sell (sigh). They will probably show Calzaghe going down in the 1st round about a gazzillion times to try and prove that RJJ is dangerous.....thats if it happens of course haha.

Yea mate, I used to live in Liverpool (before the smoking ban) but there was a cafe with darkened windows I used to walk by on the way to work every morning. One day the door was open on the way home and I looked in to see about 13 guys lying pancaked all over the floor with the little tubes in their mouths haha. Thats where I first seen them, but I am almost sure it was probably the stuff that they use in Amsterdam rather than the fruity flavoured stuff they were using haha
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by rob-glos Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:13 pm

So they've announced that Clev will be fighting Ryan Coyne...

Not a name I know but he's world ranked and unbeaten.
His record suggests he's not a big puncher (shocking) his last fight against someone who was 6-6.... Yeah. That's what I expect from someone challenging for a 'world title'

:sigh:

rob-glos

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:38 pm

Ha ha what a JOKE!

Cleverley AKA Mr. No Ambition!

I want to like him but time and again he fights complete nobodies!

I remember when he fought Murat, it was a decent scrap and as a non-title fight a good test. The problem is that must be around 2 years ago and arguably been at a lower level since.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:40 pm

Glen Johnson still going? That'd be a decent test.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:42 pm

Ryan Coyne fought at 199lb in 2010??????

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:14 am

Undefeated..... ranked 73 in the world, wow.....

I'll only be tuning in for Mares vs Agbeko

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:18 am

Looking at the champions the WBO have makes it more embarrassing...

1. Donaire
2. Bradley
3. Marquez
4. Viloria
5. Salido
6. Klitchsko

That's a pretty stellar list...

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:02 am

Its like he is only starting off his career again!!! Fighting weak opponents.

WHERE IS STEFFAN!!?? I need to hear him defend Cleverly, it would brighten up my week!!
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:02 am

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Its like he is only starting off his career again!!! Fighting weak opponents.

WHERE IS STEFFAN!!?? I need to hear him defend Cleverly, it would brighten up my week!!

Laugh

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:03 am

I'm a little confused. Coyne started off at heavy, has fought a bunch of times at cruiser and lately has been campaigning at light heavyweight. Is this bloke really fighting or just using it as part of his assualt on slimmer of the year?

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:43 am

How is a boxer ranked 73 in the world ranked #2 in the WBA and #2 in the WBO.....

This is the last excuse now, build interest in the US with this fight, then we want to see unification fights!

The problem is Cleverly's opposition has been of low quality and he might not be ready for them!

.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW6rf4TmWxw&feature=g-all-u

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:46 am

Trying to think of a positive for this..... I guess its that we get the great fight between Mares and Agbeko on boxnation =D

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:50 am

Gotta say I'm disappointed once more. Foolishly thought it might be a little better this time. Shame on me. Not quite given up yet but even my patience is running out

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:07 am

cleverly has become a joke, i liked the guy and originally thought he was unlucky whenthe fight with brahmer didnt happen. be has has done nothing to chase a big fight since. his best opponent is probably bellew, who has proved himself since to be decent, but at the time had shown very little. and even then he struggled.

apparent his opponent was on contender, and won his fight bout on SD, but the cuts he suffered forced him to quit, i cant see him been anything but another tomato can to knock over.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:24 am

i think bellew probably takes the rematch, his opposition since has been better that cleverly.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:51 am

I would like to see Cleverly fight Bellew the first fight was good and close so there should be a remtch. I have not heard of this guy he is fighting next sounds like a pointless fight! Bellew and Cleverly there is bad blood there and its a fight people want to see!

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:38 am

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:WHERE IS STEFFAN!!?? I need to hear him defend Cleverly, it would brighten up my week!!
Managed to have a cheeky look on here in the week and was pleasantly surprised to see my good name mentioned. Im a little too bogged down with my Archaeology degree at the moment between excavation work and study to get into what a horrible vile person Cleverly is who is single-handedly destroying boxing but nice to see some things never change Very Happy

Hope everyone is well (including the ones I hate) thumbsup

Speak soon all

Regards

Steffan

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:39 pm

Steffan is a little sensitive. Warren has to take some of the blame, but between them they are doing a good job of destroying boxing. The niggle I have with this fight is that it looks like he still can't get Cloud or Shumenov to fight him even though he is going over the pond. I would have thought Dawson at least would have been happy for this as a return fight to light heavy. Hopefully, I will be proven totally wrong (not for the first time) and this will be a real test.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:14 pm

Make sure you get your ticket booked for this FOTY Steffan. Must be great to have another solid Welsh World Champion taking on all the top contenders again..............................oh wait...
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down