The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hamilton Signs on the dotted line for Mercedes

+11
liverbnz
Bull
monty junior
Gregers
tunes666
TopHat24/7
Fernando
Josiah Maiestas
Critical_mass
harryspiv
Belgarion of Riva
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Hamilton Signs on the dotted line for Mercedes - Page 2 Empty Hamilton Signs on the dotted line for Mercedes

Post by Belgarion of Riva Fri 28 Sep 2012, 9:51 am

First topic message reminder :

Lewis Hamilton is to leave McLaren after signing to race for Mercedes from next season.

The move, predicted by BBC Sport's Eddie Jordan earlier this month, will be announced on Friday, causing huge repercussions throughout Formula 1.

It has forced Michael Schumacher out of Mercedes but it it is not clear whether the German legend will go back into retirement or look for another team.

Sauber driver Sergio Perez has signed as Hamilton's replacement at McLaren.

Hamilton's decision is a huge blow to McLaren, who will now have to do without the speed and inspirational talent of a man they have nurtured since he was 13 years old.

And it is a correspondingly massive coup for Mercedes, who have struggled since returning to the sport as a team owner in 2010 by buying the then world champion Brawn team.

Full story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/19755236

Belgarion of Riva

Back to top Go down

Hamilton Signs on the dotted line for Mercedes - Page 2 Empty Re: Hamilton Signs on the dotted line for Mercedes

Post by Guest Sat 29 Sep 2012, 4:03 pm

Haha. I've just read that Button is going to be hiding his data from Lewis for the rest of the season during the practices.

I've only ever seen JB wanting to look at Lewis' data to see where the .3 tenths speed difference plus comes from.

After having some time to reflect, I'm so glad he's left and made the decision. Whitmarsh stating it's a big mistake is so funny. McLaren hiring you was the big mistake.

Back to top Go down

Hamilton Signs on the dotted line for Mercedes - Page 2 Empty Re: Hamilton Signs on the dotted line for Mercedes

Post by SteveG Sat 29 Sep 2012, 4:41 pm

Speaking of Whitmarsh - the Daily Mail today describes him as easy going and that Hamiltons relationship with him is actually quite 'chummy' (reflected in Whitmarshes forgiving attitude towards telemetrygate) and that it was in fact the cold Ron Dennis that Hamilton didnt take to. Perhaps incorrect but how ironical if it were true based on most fans perceptions of the reverse.

SteveG

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 29 Sep 2012, 4:44 pm

DailyMail is ridiculous.

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveG Sat 29 Sep 2012, 5:24 pm

Don't normally read the daily mail so got no idea how credible their reporters are or how seriously they take F1. A bit disappointed with most of the tabloid coverage. All too short and nothing in depth with all their pages devoted to a bunch of blokes chipping a little white ball around with sticks.

SteveG

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sun 30 Sep 2012, 1:48 pm

John wrote:Is Perez a tyre conservative driver though or is it a result of Sauber being forced to use that strategy to become competitive over the last two years. Give Perez the machinery then he can showcase his undeniable speed and ability and not be recognised as a very good tyre conserving driver.

I think its a bit of both. As I understand it the Sauber is easy on its tyres. I think they're forced to "go long" in races because for whatever reason they're usually not very quick in qualifying. Being lower down the grid means they tend to run longer to make up places, until they've burned off enough fuel for the car to reach its optimum race pace.

At least thats what I think.

Bit of a surprise, given that Perez was touted to replace Massa, but I think McLaren have made a very shrewd choice. I hope they continue their policy of giving drivers equal treatment and that he isn't made to play second fiddle to Button.

I'm a little sad about this as I'd have loved to see Sergio help Sauber become a race-winning team, but with the performances he's given this season a move was almost inevitable.

Was very interested to read this in the article:

Schumacher's future is uncertain. Sauber team boss Peter Sauber said a week ago that he would offer the seven-time champion a drive if he became available. Despite the Swiss team's strong displays this season, that would be seen as a significant comedown for a man who was expected to win on his return.

Instead, Schumacher's comeback after three years in retirement has been a huge disappointment. The 43-year-old German has scored only one podium finish in three years. In a statement, Schumacher thanked Mercedes for their "trust" and "unconditonal commitment".

"I have had three nice years with the team which unfortunately did not go as well as we all would have wanted on the sporting side," he said.

"I wish Lewis well and for the team to achieve the success we worked so hard for in the build-up. I will now concentrate on the next races."

In another development at Mercedes, triple world champion Niki Lauda has been tipped to take a senior management role at the team.

Can't see Schumi signing for Sauber myself. I reckon he'll take up an ambassador / consultant / mentor role with Mercedes if he stays in F1.

Last edited by dyrewolfe on Sun 30 Sep 2012, 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sun 30 Sep 2012, 1:56 pm

SteveG wrote:Speaking of Whitmarsh - the Daily Mail today describes him as easy going and that Hamiltons relationship with him is actually quite 'chummy' (reflected in Whitmarshes forgiving attitude towards telemetrygate) and that it was in fact the cold Ron Dennis that Hamilton didnt take to. Perhaps incorrect but how ironical if it were true based on most fans perceptions of the reverse.

I would be amazed if this were true.

After all it was Ron who signed him in the first place. The story of how Lewis walked up to him at some function or other and said "I want to drive for you one day" is well known. If they didn't get on, I can't see how Lewis would have stayed as long as he did. That said, Ron doesn't come across as the warmest individual in interviews...he actually makes the fairly conservative Whitmarsh seem chummy in comparison.

Then again, people can and do act very differently when you stick a TV camera / mic in front of them, to how they do in private.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by erictheblueuk Sun 30 Sep 2012, 2:09 pm

If Lewis really wanted to be F1 Champ then should have signed a short term deal with Mclaren. Then move to Mercedes later when once they prove they have a car capable of challenging for the title.
erictheblueuk
erictheblueuk

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveG Sun 30 Sep 2012, 2:13 pm

Found this link from another forum:
http://thejudge13.com/2012/09/28/lewis-had-no-choice-he-was-pushed

Its only someones opinion but does give food for thought. However I have to admit I can't for the life of me think of why a close relationship between Hami and RD would ever break down - especially as RD hasn't been directly involved on the racing side for a number of years.

SteveG

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2