The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Carl Frampton v Steve Molitor [spoilers]

+6
mobilemaster8
azania
BoxingFan88
Lumbering_Jack
TopHat24/7
captain carrantuohil
10 posters

Go down

Carl Frampton v Steve Molitor [spoilers] Empty Carl Frampton v Steve Molitor [spoilers]

Post by captain carrantuohil Sat 22 Sep 2012, 11:13 pm

Just like to commend Carl Frampton for his demolition of an extremely useful fighter tonight. Perhaps Molitor had seen better days, but that should take nothing away from a performance that was dominant from start to finish. I had expected the Canadian at least to test Frampton; as predicted by Az and a few others, the Irishman simply carried too many guns for him.

It may be that with this win, Carl has outgrown the British scene in a single bound. You'd have to make him a really warm favourite to beat Quigg, Munroe or anyone else at his weight in these islands. Super-bantam is one of the toughest divisions in global boxing, but it's nice to be able to add another name to the mix from this neck of the woods.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Carl Frampton v Steve Molitor [spoilers] Empty Re: Carl Frampton v Steve Molitor [spoilers]

Post by TopHat24/7 Sat 22 Sep 2012, 11:17 pm

absolutely fantastic performance n thoroughly entertaining. SBW is such a tough division at world level now tho (mares, rigo, donaire) that it's important he's not rushed to that n allowed to continue to learn n develop.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Carl Frampton v Steve Molitor [spoilers] Empty Re: Carl Frampton v Steve Molitor [spoilers]

Post by Lumbering_Jack Sat 22 Sep 2012, 11:19 pm

Agree, looked very good and although I had him top of the british trio before tonight, he has widened the gap.

Would still like to see him fight the one paced Quigg before looking for final eliminaters for super-intercontinental-diamond-silver belts.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sat 22 Sep 2012, 11:21 pm

Can't see him at world level, given the competition, but he demolished Molitor. Would love to see him take on Quigg or Munroe.

I'll admit I got this one totally wrong.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Sat 22 Sep 2012, 11:26 pm

Well, other than the fact that I thought he would win, so did I, BF88. I never expected quite such a commanding all-round performance; Carl is simply better than I had thought, and I had thought that he was pretty decent. As you say, this is an evil division, but look on the bright side; one of Nishioka and Donaire will depart the scene next month (Nishioka, I hope and assume); Mares is good, but beatable and a naturally smaller man than Carl; Rigondeaux remains, to some extent, an unknown quantity. There are some grounds to be hopeful, even if I really couldn't see Frampton beating Donaire, who is a bit of a freak.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sat 22 Sep 2012, 11:31 pm

I don't think they need to rush him, sometimes you need to stay at a certain level for a few fights. Carl Froch did it the right way.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Sat 22 Sep 2012, 11:38 pm

Completely agree, boxingfan, and there seems to be plenty of hard-headed realism in the Frampton camp, which is encouraging. Perhaps a menu for Carl that reads i) winner of Quigg-Munroe II; ii) whoever the European champion is at the time, preferably the elusive Kiko; iii) defence of one or both of those titles; iv) world-ranked opponent, someone like Morel, perhaps; v) world title eliminator; vi) the big one, to take place by the end of 2014.

There, I should have been a promoter.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Sat 22 Sep 2012, 11:41 pm

I totally disagree Captain. If he is ready he is ready, if not he can lost and come back and take on all those fighters. To be honest I think this is part of boxings problem. He is being matched with 4/5 fighters who he is expected to beat, what is the point of that? One I can understand, but no point waiting 18 month for a title fight if he can get one in 6/9 months time.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Sat 22 Sep 2012, 11:47 pm

I hear you, Jack, but the fact remains that Carl is a comparatively inexperienced pro, for all his ability. Now, for every Azumah Nelson, who thrived after being beaten when challenging for a world title as a virtual novice, there are far more who have had the belief and talent beaten out of them by a shellacking for which they weren't quite ready.

There is plenty of point in accumulating worthy titles such as the British and European ones; it breeds confidence, quite apart from anything else. There is also no certainty that he beats the very elite at this stage; I suspect that his chances will be greatly enhanced a little down the track.

That was always the way of it in the "good old days"; it is an approach that Froch, for example, has tried to follow, and I sincerely believe that it produces better, more battle-hardened fighters.

Last edited by captain carrantuohil on Sun 23 Sep 2012, 12:28 am; edited 1 time in total

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 22 Sep 2012, 11:52 pm

Carl was simply too fresh and hungry for Molitor who (imo) came to lose and had no ambition. A shadow of the boxer of 10 years ago. Take nothing away from Carl. He beat a named fighter and did it well. But lets not get carried away. He looked decent beating a shell of a good fighter.

Still leaves himself wide open to counters and lunges in when attacking. Still fancy Munroe and Quigg over him.

Too strong for Galahad though.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 23 Sep 2012, 12:25 am

Guys lets get real here, the world level at super bantamweight is one of the strongest in boxing. No way he can take any of the champions at the moment.

Frampton is in no rush, so let him pick the right fights at the right time. If you put him in with someone like Rigondeaux or Donaire its got easy knockout written all over it. Frampton can clean up the British scene, then the European scene, then start looking at some top rated fighters in the world title organisations.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 23 Sep 2012, 12:27 am

He wont clean up the British scene. Quigg will. Nothing in that fight proved otherwise. Quigg will have too much for him.

Frampton has arms like small tree stumps.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 23 Sep 2012, 12:31 am

Would be a great fight though, we are in agreement that Frampton needs to stay at this level for now.. Very Happy

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 23 Sep 2012, 12:34 am

Yup. Beating Molitor doesn't equate to having a chance against any of the belt holders. Right now he has zero chance.

Molitor was here to get paid and take a beating. He did both well.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 23 Sep 2012, 12:47 am

I don't want to take the shine off it, but Molitor looked like he had nothing at all.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 23 Sep 2012, 12:49 am

You're not taking the shine off anything by stating an obvious truth. He beat a name and that's it. A formerly decent fighter. Carl did what he had to do.....and so did Molitor.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 23 Sep 2012, 12:53 am

Pretty much agree with you Az, I have to be honest, Frampton isn't a concussive puncher based on evidence. His last opponent Hirales looked like he had a bigger dig. Had he elected to fight rather than box, it might have been a different outcome.

Still the future looks bright for him and he did what he had to do. Totally proved me wrong in the process.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 23 Sep 2012, 12:56 am

He would be huge in USA if he based himself in NYC of Boston. Easy sell as he is exciting.....and Irish.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun 23 Sep 2012, 2:04 am

Frampton KO's Quigg and Munroe. Absolute class in comparison imo.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by trenchtownbaboon Sun 23 Sep 2012, 3:23 am

mobilemaster8 wrote:Frampton KO's Quigg and Munroe. Absolute class in comparison imo.

Framton v Quigg would be a real quality fight, I think Framton could give Quigg fits in the early rounds but over 12 rounds I would still give Quigg the decision even mabe a LKO.
trenchtownbaboon
trenchtownbaboon

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sun 23 Sep 2012, 8:56 am

Great win for Carl. The success he's having couldn't be happening to a more level headed lad.

Molitor still posesses dangerous skills, he just didn't get time to work with them, carl showed him total disrespect as if it was another chump in front of him. Great tactics.

Always said he humiliates the one dimensional Quigg. Munroe would be a tougher fight but Frampton would still take that win imo.

I agree with the captain's logical blueprint over the next 2 years. Let's not forget Donaire will be shootin through the weight classes so that will free another 2 belts up.

Mares is the one they should be focusing on for now
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Sun 23 Sep 2012, 10:32 am

Lumbering_Jack wrote:I totally disagree Captain. If he is ready he is ready, if not he can lost and come back and take on all those fighters. To be honest I think this is part of boxings problem. He is being matched with 4/5 fighters who he is expected to beat, what is the point of that? One I can understand, but no point waiting 18 month for a title fight if he can get one in 6/9 months time.

equally what's the point in chucking him into a fight he'd be expected to lose? he'll learn more from a kiko fight than getting pancaked by donaire.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Sun 23 Sep 2012, 10:46 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:
Lumbering_Jack wrote:I totally disagree Captain. If he is ready he is ready, if not he can lost and come back and take on all those fighters. To be honest I think this is part of boxings problem. He is being matched with 4/5 fighters who he is expected to beat, what is the point of that? One I can understand, but no point waiting 18 month for a title fight if he can get one in 6/9 months time.

equally what's the point in chucking him into a fight he'd be expected to lose? he'll learn more from a kiko fight than getting pancaked by donaire.

I clearly stated the if he's ready argument, which after beating Quigg I think he will be...

Are most people not expected to lose to Donaire, if everyone took that attitude then the likes of him would never fight. He's as good a challenger than any, why not give it a shot and see what happens.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sun 23 Sep 2012, 10:51 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:

Just to add, if carl was to get beat, you would have the resident idiot claiming "lower level upper tier C class level" fighter or whatever nonsense he normally guffs. Laughing at the fact that Molitor was a shell last nite because he wasn't given a second to think. Iv seen Molitor fighting plenty of times and what Carl did last nite Molitor still wouldn't have had an answer for a few years back. He is still 10 times better that anything quigg has ever faced. Jamie Artrhur made Quigg look ordinary ffs, and he aint exactly european (barely british) standard.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sun 23 Sep 2012, 11:04 am

Love how Az thinks Canelo has a dodgy chin after being caught by jose cotto (and not going down) yet thinks that Quigg is going to rule the super bantam division after being put on his face by a jab by feather fisted Arthur!!!
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Sun 23 Sep 2012, 11:06 am

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:

Just to add, if carl was to get beat, you would have the resident idiot claiming "lower level upper tier C class level" fighter or whatever nonsense he normally guffs. Laughing at the fact that Molitor was a shell last nite because he wasn't given a second to think. Iv seen Molitor fighting plenty of times and what Carl did last nite Molitor still wouldn't have had an answer for a few years back. He is still 10 times better that anything quigg has ever faced. Jamie Artrhur made Quigg look ordinary ffs, and he aint exactly european (barely british) standard.

don't worry reborn, sure Az was just smartin' after this classic in the lead-up to burns-mitchell last night....

Mitchell by wide UD or late KO. Burns has nothing on him

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sun 23 Sep 2012, 11:20 am

Hahahaha class mate
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Sun 23 Sep 2012, 11:40 am

Very impressed with Frampton last night, thought this was a winnable fight but Molitar would have enough experience and savvy to mess Carl around a while or at least make things tough but Carl never gave him a chance to get a foothold in the fight, set a cracking pace, picked his shots well and covered up pretty well on the occasions Molitar fired back.

There really does seem a lot to get excited about with Carl, looks to have a cracking team around him, looks a level headed kid outside the ring and showed maturity and composure inside the ring last night way beyond his years. Him and the winner of Quigg Monroe would seem a natural fight now and one Carl must have chances in based on the peformance last night

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sun 23 Sep 2012, 1:04 pm

Frampton is doing a great job in putting irish boxing back on the profesional scene. It was a great night all round for irish boxing.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 24 Sep 2012, 9:25 am

LeinsterFan4life wrote:Frampton is doing a great job in putting irish boxing back on the profesional scene. It was a great night all round for irish boxing.

Good summer really following Katie in the Olympics too.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down