The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England v Fiji - 'Form' and 'Future' Selection

+6
ChequeredJersey
yappysnap
Geordie
DaveM
mowgli
Chjw131
10 posters

Go down

England v Fiji - 'Form' and 'Future' Selection Empty England v Fiji - 'Form' and 'Future' Selection

Post by Chjw131 Fri 21 Sep 2012, 3:30 pm

It's still early days in the Jeff but after three rounds and the latest injury news I thought i'd have a stab at selecting my England XXIII for the Fiji match which is only 6 weeks or so away.

Lancaster and co still have plenty of time to select their replacements for a number of injuries and retirements from the Senior EPS, most of which will certainly come from the Saxons but there is scope to select outside of this group. There are a few key areas which need to be assessed and some crucial positions which really need some work for the AI's. Time is now running out to start establishing a real structure and a majority of automatic picks for the starting XV.

I have always expressed an intention to use the Fiji game for some exposure to new players from the bench and one or two starts to really help that process of quality depth get going. Here then is my selection based both on form so far in the AP and the need for those future stars to get some purposeful game time with England:

1. J Marler
2. D Hartley
3. D Cole
4. J Launchbury*
5. G Parling
6. J Haskell
7. C Robshaw
8. B Morgan
9. D Care
10. T Flood
11. J May*
12. B Barritt
13. M Tuilagi
14. C Ashton
15. A Goode

16. T Youngs 17. M Mullan 18. D Wilson* 19. T Palmer 20. C Fearns* 21. J Simpson* 22. F Burns 23. M Brown

* - These selections have been based on form so far through the past three rounds and may be subject to change over the next month or so, by which time decisions need to be final.

Launchburry I feel has played really well thus far and whilst I don't like to see him played at 6, he's had game time and lock as well. With Foden out I suspect someone like May will be brought in, as I feel Lancaster was always going to retain Goode at FB and keep Foden on the wing for the AI's. May's ability under the high ball and better decision making give him the nod over Wade for me, who has again been sensational in attack but exposed on defence. Something he will improve on this season i'm sure but he's not ready yet.

Corbisiero I expect to come back in at a later date after some more game time with LI, and so Mullan gets the bench spot. He's also played well for Warriors so far and needs some exposure for this game. The same may be said for Davy Wilson who looked so promising a few seasons ago but has yet to really deliver. He's been going well for Bath, without being spectacular and frankly PDJ has looked woeful in the scrum at times for Saints.

Morgan has been playing extremely well for Glaws and whilst Waldrom has also played well, Morgan has the longer term future for my liking and the more time he gets the better he will become for England. Likewise Fearns has been playing superbly for Bath with some excellent tackling and ground work. He gets the bench ahead of Croft, Wood and Johnson on the basis that Johnson is injured at present and Croft and Wood will need more game time before being re-announced on the international stage. Haskell starts based on his experience and his groundwork alongside Robshaw combined with carrying potential. Many people forget quite how well he played in the 2011 6N alongside Wood, and he can deliver when required. Discipline needs work though.

Finally, after the woeful performance by Sarries and Tigers on the w/end neither FH did it for me, nor has done in the past to be frank. Flood is the natural option at present (I also hope he can bring something different out of Barritt) and Burns could be sensational given some more exposure. Ford hasn't had nearly enough game time yet and Farrell I would like to be given a sabbatical so he can do some more learning from Charlie.

Chjw131

Back to top Go down

England v Fiji - 'Form' and 'Future' Selection Empty Re: England v Fiji - 'Form' and 'Future' Selection

Post by mowgli Fri 21 Sep 2012, 6:19 pm

I keep harping on about this but England's main challenge is consistency of selection.

WHen i think of players who own their shirt in the England team I honestly only think Cole, Manu and Foden. Even the skipper seems to have a question mark over him due to the ridiculous cadre of quality back rowers in the squad. Now I don't know the ins and outs of English club rugby but I have followed the national side for years and what strikes me is that a team is greater than the sum of the parts.....players need to step up and claim the jersey, then hold onto it. England has such awesome strength in depth but it is a double edged sword. The best teams have styles of playing that come from familiarity; this issue goes back to Lancaster's point that he needs 6/7 world class players (like Hill/Back/Dayglo/Jonners/Leonard and Wilko!) on which to build hi steam and to be honest I think England struggle to find more than 2/3 right now. That is not because the class isn't there, on the contrary, it is because of the embarassment of riches in the squad...just too many decisions to make

mowgli

Back to top Go down

England v Fiji - 'Form' and 'Future' Selection Empty Re: England v Fiji - 'Form' and 'Future' Selection

Post by DaveM Fri 21 Sep 2012, 7:51 pm

I still really don't like the Flood, Barritt, Tuilagi combination. Last week's game was hardly a convincing advert for it, and how will the wide players get the ball?

Otherwise the side looks ok. Left wing is difficult. If JJ isn't going to play OC then I'd move him there - at least he has some experience of the position.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 22 Sep 2012, 11:44 am

The independent have Marland Yarde as the future on the left:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-union/club-rugby/lancaster-left-with-headaches-by-string-of-wing-injuries-8163776.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 22 Sep 2012, 12:49 pm

Yarde and Wade are two serious options coming through mind.

And if you consider the alternatives...

Strettle - Where is he
JSD - Time has gone
Benjamin - Injured
Sharples - Injured
Short - Cant comment, has he been playing for Sarries
JJ - Is a 13
Foden? - Injured

Who have i missed?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Chjw131 Sat 22 Sep 2012, 1:01 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Yarde and Wade are two serious options coming through mind.

And if you consider the alternatives...

Strettle - Where is he
JSD - Time has gone
Benjamin - Injured
Sharples - Injured
Short - Cant comment, has he been playing for Sarries
JJ - Is a 13
Foden? - Injured

Who have i missed?

Cueto....

Yarde has really impressed for the U20's but he's only just started to get a few starts at LI and I can't see him breaking into an England team for a while yet. It's Wade and May for my liking, but as I said Wade has got some more defensive work to do yet and I feel May has the edge in that department and the high ball.

Chjw131

Back to top Go down

Post by Chjw131 Sat 22 Sep 2012, 1:04 pm

Also as the article rightly points out Nick Abendanon could be a real contender for the wing spot. Excellent FB skills and some great pace and vision. He played really well in the midweek game in SA and despite the fact he looked about three stone overweight and was in the middle of a stag week!

Chjw131

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 22 Sep 2012, 1:20 pm

Oh i forgot about May. Yes he is another option.

Another option i forgot...

Banahan?
He has to be considered...he's looking leaner...playing well and actually has an impressive scoring record for England, would offer a good alternative in time of injuries etc.

I dont think its the time to go back to Cueto now.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Chjw131 Sat 22 Sep 2012, 1:49 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Oh i forgot about May. Yes he is another option.

Another option i forgot...

Banahan?
He has to be considered...he's looking leaner...playing well and actually has an impressive scoring record for England, would offer a good alternative in time of injuries etc.

I dont think its the time to go back to Cueto now.

Agreed Cueto was a bit of a tongue-in-cheek selection! May is my preference with Abendanon a close second. Monye is a committed player but too limited for my liking.

Banners does look much better now but he's been playing 12 for Bath and that's where Gold will keep him. I wouldn't mind seeing him play that role for England at some point once he sharpens his skills there. He's started offering a kicking option there as well and has actually kicked well when i've seen him attempt it.

Chjw131

Back to top Go down

Post by mowgli Sat 22 Sep 2012, 6:28 pm

Okay....far too many options...someone pick a XV!!!

mowgli

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 22 Sep 2012, 8:25 pm

There's always Monye?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sun 23 Sep 2012, 12:05 am

I'd go for:

Brown
Ashton
Tuilagi
Allen
Wade
Flood
Care
Morgan
Robshaw
Haskell (unless Croft is back)
Parling
Palmer
Cole
Hartley
Marler

Mullan, Lindsay/Youngs, Harden?, Botha, Wood/Haskell, Dickson, Goode, Joseph

Just to avoid changing it up too much
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Sun 23 Sep 2012, 5:48 pm

But which Dickson? Karl is arguably in better form than Lee right now, pushing Care hard for the Quins shirt.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sun 23 Sep 2012, 5:50 pm

Simpson also playing well. Wish the Saxons got more games!
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sun 23 Sep 2012, 5:51 pm

Plus I hear Danny is our new winger now
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by stlowe Sun 23 Sep 2012, 6:17 pm

Barritt/Allen in the AP this season

Matches 4/4
Tries 1/0
Passes 21/10
Carries 23/24
Metres 73/46
Clean Breaks 4/0
Offloads 2/0
Defenders Beaten 2/4
Tackles 29/22
Tackles Missed 2/1
Penalties Conceded 2/1
Turnovers Conceded 4/4

stlowe

Back to top Go down

Post by johnpartle Sun 23 Sep 2012, 7:35 pm

stlowe wrote:Barritt/Allen in the AP this season

Matches 4/4
Tries 1/0
Passes 21/10
Carries 23/24
Metres 73/46
Clean Breaks 4/0
Offloads 2/0
Defenders Beaten 2/4
Tackles 29/22
Tackles Missed 2/1
Penalties Conceded 2/1
Turnovers Conceded 4/4

That's something I've seen apparent on the stat reviews for the last 2 or 3 seasons when these players have been compared. Allen is more of a running centre than a distributing one. I've always felt his skillset is more naturally suited to OC than IC. If we want more of a distributor at 12 than Barritt (who I feel is a bit maligned in that regard), then we need to look towards some of the younger players coming through.

johnpartle

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun 23 Sep 2012, 7:48 pm

My personal choice;

1.Marler (Not convinced by him but deserves chance without Corbs)
2.Hartley
3.Cole (Improving by the game!)
4.Launchberry (playing very well and would give the pack some much needed carrying)
5.Parling
6.Croft - if he's not fit Haskell
7.Robshaw
8.Morgan (Waldrom's pushing hard)

9.Care
10.Flood

11.May (much better in defence and under high ball than Wade)
12.Allen (personal choice but him and Barritt are very close - I would love to see Twelvetrees given a go but can't see it)
13.Tuilagi
14.Ashton (still not convinced by his alround play tbh)
15.Brown (been brilliant for a couple a seasons at Quins!)

16.Youngs
17.Doran-Jones
18.Palmer
19.Haskell - if Croft isn't fit Haskell starts with Waldrom on the bench
20.Simpson/Dickson (very different players but I'd take either)
21.Farrell
22.Joseph

As stated an outside bet I'd love to see at 11 is Johnny May. He's got great finishing pace but a much better alround game than Wade due to his time at FB, centre and wing! Ugo Monye is another useful option on the left wing with a slightly more complete game to Wade.

What I'd predict Lancaster to go with;

1.Marler
2.Hartley
3.Cole
4.Palmer
5.Parling
6.Croft - Johnson if injured
7.Robshaw
8.Morgan

9.Dickson
10.Flood

11.Monye
12.Barritt
13.Tuilagi
14.Ashton
15.Brown

16.Youngs
17.Doran-Jones or Wilson
18.Launchberry
19.Johnson - if Croft unfit Haskell
20.Care
21.Farrell
22.Joseph

The way I've split it suggests I've got real gripes with Lancasters selection with isn't the case at all. The places I'd disagree with the recent and probable squad selections I can easily see the arguments against my view;

Launchberry for Palmer - Palmer has played well for England for last couple of seasons now.

Johnson for Haskell - Johnson performed admirably in SA, never an easy place for a flanker to tour! Also been brilliant for Exeter.

Barritt for Allen/Twelvetrees - Barritt has been exceptionally dependable for Sarries for awhile and debuted well in 6N.

Last edited by king_carlos on Sun 23 Sep 2012, 9:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 23 Sep 2012, 8:00 pm

Id stay with Barritt for the moment.

But Twelvetrees did a lot of good stuff yesterday...(the odd slack thing admittedly aswell) but hopefully his consistency will improve with regular games.
His defence was very impressive.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Sun 23 Sep 2012, 11:38 pm

I've thought Abendanon could be left-wing for us for a while now. However Monye is the safe choice with Yarde the coming man. May and Wade are right wings and at this point in their careers aren't ready to play an unfamilar position in their international debuts. I still think JJ is worth considering, although I wouldn't be surprised by a Tuilagi/JJ centre combo again.

Unless Billy breaks in. His basics were excellent on Saturday, and he seems to have added some real aggression to his play.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down