The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Away with the past - here's one for the future

4 posters

Go down

Away with the past - here's one for the future Empty Away with the past - here's one for the future

Post by captain carrantuohil Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:08 am

Much of today has understandably been devoted to the resurrection of a golden oldie. Let's spare a thought for one of the younger generation who could be going to the very top. Billy Joe Saunders has just annihilated a decent, unbeaten Australian in defence of his Commonwealth belt and served notice that he will be one of the names to be reckoned with at the top of the 160 lb pecking order in the not too distant future.

Saunders can box beautifully and has a dig as well. It might just be that he will be the best pro from that high-achieving generation of amateurs that featured Gavin and DeGale. He'll be ready for the likes of Barker and Macklin quite soon, in my view.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Away with the past - here's one for the future Empty Re: Away with the past - here's one for the future

Post by BoxingFan88 Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:29 am

Yep saw it and it was very impressive!

Couple more defences of the Commonwealth title, then move to British. That entire card was very entertaining.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Away with the past - here's one for the future Empty Re: Away with the past - here's one for the future

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:31 am

When did this old man return to the forum?

Good to have you back Ale !

Saunders looks excellent, it's true, although I thought he benefitted from premature stoppages against Hill and Tolan. I couldn't watch his most recent because a house fire has deprived me of sky, but the lesson in dominating behind a jab he offered in decisioning Pryce certainly impressed.

I think he'll be the best euro level middleweight in years to come, but with the likes of Golovkin prowling around at world level he'll struggle to make a mark against the elite.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:35 am

BJ is a great prospect. Didn't see the fight (no Box Nation) but reckon he can move down to LMW.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:36 am

Thanks, JBW. Back earlier this week.

Golovkin looks a monster, it's true (I've just been acquainting myself with some of his fights), but I think young Billy Joe can do it all as well. I really like the types of fighter that he's been in against -Pryce was an excellent learning experience, as you suggest, and Fletcher, lest we forget, was also a Commonwealth Games gold medallist, so can box a bit, and was unbeaten as a pro. I think Saunders has something and he's 22 or 23, so time is on his side as well.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:47 am

The likes of Groves and Degale could certainly learn from his schedule (3 fights so far this year) and he's being matched against guys who are coming to win, too. He's not put a foot wrong so far.

Interesting point about lmw Az. He looks a little fleshy even though his fitness appears to be top notch.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:51 am

I'd also forgotten that Fletcher had actually beaten DeGale as an amateur back in 06, so he was no mug. I agree about 154 falling under consideration for Saunders - I guess I was slightly surprised when Billy Joe took the middleweight route, since he was a good bit lighter as an amateur. In any case, though, he has plenty of options and he seems to have his head firmly screwed on as well, which is absolutely crucial. More power to his elbow for the future.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down