The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tennis Weekly Series- Edition 9 (final edition)

+4
socal1976
Mad for Chelsea
Danny_1982
User 774433
8 posters

Go down

Tennis Weekly Series- Edition 9 (final edition) Empty Tennis Weekly Series- Edition 9 (final edition)

Post by User 774433 Thu 13 Sep 2012, 10:25 pm

As my first series comes to an end, it is fitting that Britain’s wait for a male Grand Slam Champion does too. 76 years, 76 years Britain has suffered as Rusedski, Henman and co. have gone close, but not managed to secure a major. That wait is over.
As is my first series of TWS. Like some of the best musical artists, I feel that after my first album a hiatus is necessary, after which I will come back with a new different style! During my break I assure you I will be thinking of new ideas, such as more in-depth analysis into players, and a ‘point of the week’ category.
Nevertheless, I hope you enjoyed the first series, and will continue to enjoy what tennis has to offer in the near future Bubbly

Player of the Week: Andy Murray
The pressure was mounting. 4 times Murray had failed in Grand Slam finals, losing to Djokovic once and Federer three times. But like his coach, Ivan Lendl, Murray sensationally sealed Grand Slam glory in his 5th attempt in a Grand Slam Final. Murray was comfortable in his early rounds, defeating young Milos Raonic impressively in straight sets to advance to the quarter-finals. In the quarters he was up against Croatian Marian Cilic, who beat the Brit in the 2010 US Open in 4 sets. Almost incredibly it seemed likely Cilic would repeat the feat as he opened up a 7-6 5-2 lead. However Cilic then choked, as Murray fought back with all his determination to grab the second set 7-6. Cilic was shell-shocked after losing the tie-breaker and could only win 2 more games in the match as Murray powered to a 3-6 7-6 6-2 6-0 win. In the semis Murray was up against Tomas Berdych, and the windy conditions made for challenging conditions. Berdych, who has a winning record against Murray, was superb in the first set, winning it 7-5, but faded away for the next 2 sets as Murray opened up a 2 sets to 1 lead. In the final set a easy finish seemed inevitable as Murray broke early on, but Berdych broke back to force a tie-break. The tie-break was a tense affair but Murray held on to go through to his second US Open final.
The final was a pulsating, nervy, and certainly dramatic encounter which spanned 5 sets. In windy conditions neither player could gain a grip on the match in the first set, and the set went into a tie-break. Murray spurned 5 set points in the tie-break, before eventually taking it on his 6th! Djokovic seemed deflated, and Murray struck, quickly breaking Djokovic twice to hold a commanding 4-0 lead in the 2nd set. But Djokovic wasn't going to give up easily and fought back to make it 5-5. Just when it seemed the momentum was with Djokovic, Murray struck again at 5-6, breaking Djokovic to lead by 2 sets to love.
Djokovic, with a mountain to climb, roared back, raising his game and playing attacking tennis to take the next two sets 6-2 6-3. As the match headed into a decider it seemed Murray was doomed. There was an atmosphere of resignation, an acceptance that fate was simply against Murray. That was proved so so wrong. Murray wanted it more than ever, and out-played a tiring Djokovic, sealing a double-break lead to serve for the Championship at 5-2. Djokovic, called on the trainer, which led to boos from the crowd, but it was not enough to derail Murray who powered on to hold his game, and seal glory.
Murray looked dazed at the end, with a look of disbelief in his eyes. He had done it.

Shock of the Week: Berdych bt Roger Federer
Federer went into the tournament as one of the favourites, while Berdych it seemed was slipping after first round defeats at Wimbledon and the Olympics. However the Czech created the biggest shock of the tournament, by sending the world number 1 home in 4 sets in the night session on Arthur Ashe. The first set went to a tie-break which Berdych took 7-1, following a host of errors by the Swiss. Berdych broke early in the second, and served superbly from then on to hold on to his break, and win the second set 6-4. However Roger produced some magical tennis in the third, raising his game to seal the 3rd set 6-3 and send the crowd wild. But Berdych, who also beat Federer in the quarter finals of Wimbledon in 2010, stayed focused, and struck the decisive blow at 3-4 to break Roger and put himself on the brink. And Berdych was as cool as a cucumber when serving for the match, shooting down some rockets to send Federer packing and reach his first US Open semi-final!

Quote of the Week:
'Now they won’t ask me that stupid question any more.'
Andy Murray after sealing his first Grand Slam at the US Open against Novak Djokovic in a pulsating 5 setter.

It Must Be Love

Last edited by It Must Be Love on Fri 14 Sep 2012, 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Tennis Weekly Series- Edition 9 (final edition) Empty Re: Tennis Weekly Series- Edition 9 (final edition)

Post by Danny_1982 Thu 13 Sep 2012, 10:31 pm

clap

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Tennis Weekly Series- Edition 9 (final edition) Empty Re: Tennis Weekly Series- Edition 9 (final edition)

Post by Mad for Chelsea Thu 13 Sep 2012, 10:49 pm

Lopez in R3 wasn't exactly my idea of Murray cruising through the opening rounds Wink goes to show that in fact early round form means strictly nothing in slams (Fed at Wimbledon another good example). Sure you don't want gruelling five-setters the whole way through, but a test or too is I think better preparation for the latter stages.

Excellent write-up as usual IMBL clap

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri 14 Sep 2012, 6:59 am

Yes good work covered some of the highlights for sure. Can't believe no mention of tipsy v. Ferrer for match of the week. Djoko v. Murray point of the week going 54 shots deep.

I really enjoyed Berdy's performance against fed helped Novak's big for the year end #1 immensly.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Fri 14 Sep 2012, 10:52 am

Excellent article IMBL clap clap

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri 14 Sep 2012, 12:38 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys thumbsup

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri 14 Sep 2012, 12:39 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:Lopez in R3 wasn't exactly my idea of Murray cruising through the opening rounds Wink goes to show that in fact early round form means strictly nothing in slams (Fed at Wimbledon another good example). Sure you don't want gruelling five-setters the whole way through, but a test or too is I think better preparation for the latter stages.

Excellent write-up as usual IMBL clap
Thanks MFC.

Lopez Round 3... yes that was a difficult match. I think having tests such as Murray did is helpful in later rounds (unless he actually goes out which isn't too helpful.) Run

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri 14 Sep 2012, 12:42 pm

socal1976 wrote:Yes good work covered some of the highlights for sure. Can't believe no mention of tipsy v. Ferrer for match of the week. Djoko v. Murray point of the week going 54 shots deep.

I really enjoyed Berdy's performance against fed helped Novak's big for the year end #1 immensly.
'Point of the Week' is a catoegory I am forming, and this may come into place when I start my second series, which will be sometime next year OK

Tipsy vs Ferrer was a brilliant match, Ferrer showed what a warrior he is by coming back from the brink in the 5th! I would have included it, but I was already over my word limit. Bubbly

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 14 Sep 2012, 1:23 pm

Very good IMBL. Have enjoyed reading them despite not ever commenting on them. Keep up the good work and enjoy the tennis for the remainder of the year.

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri 14 Sep 2012, 5:21 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:Very good IMBL. Have enjoyed reading them despite not ever commenting on them. Keep up the good work and enjoy the tennis for the remainder of the year.
Thank-you LK Bubbly

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri 14 Sep 2012, 5:27 pm

These are by TWS awards:
Across my 9 editions I have given the 'Player of the week' 8 times!
Here are the results: angel

Andy Murray (2)
Roger Federer (2)
Tomaz Bellucci
Lukas Rosol
David Ferrer
Laura Robson

Congratulations to these 6 players, and especially to Roger and Andy who both won twice Bubbly

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Fri 14 Sep 2012, 6:06 pm

Well done, interesting piece.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri 14 Sep 2012, 10:44 pm

Thanks TSJ Hug

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Fri 14 Sep 2012, 11:28 pm

Good article as usual, but why is this the last one of the kind? you should continue the good Work Amrit. thumbsup

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 15 Sep 2012, 2:20 am

invisiblecoolers wrote:Good article as usual, but why is this the last one of the kind? you should continue the good Work Amrit. thumbsup

He wants to follow the Television Series (or should I say Seasons) model, and start a new series with a new season.

IMBL, will you cover DC this weekend?

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sat 15 Sep 2012, 11:18 am

Thanks IC, LF Tennis Weekly Series- Edition 9 (final edition) 3845856932

As I said I plan to have a hiatus after this first series. I will be back with my second series some time next year Smile

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sat 15 Sep 2012, 11:19 am

The second series will be a bit different- I am thinking of new categories such as 'Point of the Week', 'Youngster Watch' and 'Biggest mover in the rankings.'

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 15 Sep 2012, 3:21 pm

It Must Be Love wrote:Thanks IC, LF Tennis Weekly Series- Edition 9 (final edition) 3845856932

As I said I plan to have a hiatus after this first series. I will be back with my second series some time next year Smile

Should a hiatus be planned or a vacation? Laugh

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down