The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bryan Brothers

+2
The Special Juan
laverfan
6 posters

Go down

Bryan Brothers Empty Bryan Brothers

Post by laverfan Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:07 am

80 titles in doubles, 44 finals, and still going strong.

The win was their 12th Grand Slam doubles title together as a team, surpassing the record for most Grand Slam doubles titles as a team in the Open era that was previously shared with Aussies Todd Woodbridge and Mark Woodforde. They now have tied the record for most Grand Slam doubles titles of all time as a team and share that record with Aussies John Newcombe and Tony Roche.

Fantastic achievement. clap clap

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/match_reports/2012-09-07/201209071347041493562.html

I will refrain from a Doubles GOAT poll, too many of the polls for Singles Womens and Mens. Laugh

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Bryan Brothers Empty Re: Bryan Brothers

Post by The Special Juan Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:22 am

Well done to them. I watched the final, they're a really clever pair. They found Stepanek's volleys to be a weakness so everything at the net went to him. 1 more and they'll get the outright record, here's hoping. They seem like nice guys too.

Last edited by The Special Juan on Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : him, not them)
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:44 am

The Special Juan wrote:Well done to them. I watched the final, they're a really clever pair. They found Stepanek's volleys to be a weakness so everything at the net went to them. 1 more and they'll get the outright record, here's hoping. They seem like nice guys too.
"Bryan was fined US$10,000 by the USTA for unsportsmanlike-conduct for an undisclosed off-court episode after he and brother Bob lost in the first round of the 2011 US Open.[6] It was alleged that Bryan put his hand on an official"

Unlucky.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:46 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:
"Bryan was fined US$10,000 by the USTA for unsportsmanlike-conduct for an undisclosed off-court episode after he and brother Bob lost in the first round of the 2011 US Open.[6] It was alleged that Bryan put his hand on an official"

Unlucky.

Off-topic, but, interesting, since you mention it...

The fine was tied for the third-largest at this year’s U.S. Open. Doubles player Mike Bryan of the U.S. was given a $10,000 unsportsmanlike-conduct penalty for an undisclosed off-court episode following a first-round defeat. Philip Petzschner of Germany was fined $3,500 for unsportsmanlike conduct, while Anastasija Sevastova, Anastasia Pavyluchenkova and Ernest Gulbis each received $2,000 fines for improper coaching.

This is illegal coaching, and Gulbis? Is that how he beats top players in a match but fails in the next round? (He beat Haas but lost to Johnson @USO2012) chin

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-09-13/serena-williams-is-fined-2-000-after-u-s-open-outburst-won-t-be-banned.html

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:32 pm

A good doubles pairing for sure. But let's make no bones that if the top singles players played doubles then these guys would likely have 0 slams between them. Federer and Wawrinka, who rarely play together, beat them at 2008 Olympics relatively routinely.

I still see modern doubles, as enjoyable as it is to watch, as a discipline for those who can't cut it at singles. Harsh but true IMO, so I take their slam count with a pinch of salt.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:41 pm

lydian wrote:A good doubles pairing for sure. But let's make no bones that if the top singles players played doubles then these guys would likely have 0 slams between them. Federer and Wawrinka, who rarely play together, beat them at 2008 Olympics relatively routinely.

I still see modern doubles, as enjoyable as it is to watch, as a discipline for those who can't cut it at singles. Harsh but true IMO, so I take their slam count with a pinch of salt.

Agreed, they cannot be like McEnroe/Fleming or Newcombe/Roche or Laver/Roche.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:12 pm

Yep, and who can be like Fleming/Macca...amazing ability and intuition in the way they played together. True partnership on a court.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Turron Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:35 am

Fleming never claimed to be a key element of the partnership - he always used to say that the best doubles team in the world would be JPM and anyone else ...

Turron

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:04 pm

lydian wrote:A good doubles pairing for sure. But let's make no bones that if the top singles players played doubles then these guys would likely have 0 slams between them. Federer and Wawrinka, who rarely play together, beat them at 2008 Olympics relatively routinely.

Most of these guys are out of shape too. One of the male players in the mixed had a "round shape" shall we say.

I have a saying: There's a reason why doubles players are doubles players.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:16 pm

...and a reason Andy plays singles and Jamie doubles.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:42 pm

Absolutely, this is what I was thinking as I read the OP.

As Peter Fleming used to say when asked who were the best doubles partnership in the World, "John McEnroe and anyone". Unless the best are participating it more resembles the 2nd division.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down