The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Quins v London Welsh

+7
Looseheaded
Knowsit17
BigTrevsbigmac
LondonTiger
ChequeredJersey
Geordie
mckay1402
11 posters

Go down

Quins v London Welsh Empty Quins v London Welsh

Post by mckay1402 Fri 07 Sep 2012, 7:53 pm

I can't believe there's a game between the champions and the new boys in the Prem and Sky decide not to show it. I'm sure there must be interest for it on a Friday night when there's no other premiership rugby on.
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Quins v London Welsh Empty Re: Quins v London Welsh

Post by mckay1402 Fri 07 Sep 2012, 7:57 pm

Although judging by the fact that quins are 14-0 up in 9 minutes I'm probably glad
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 07 Sep 2012, 7:57 pm

Does anyone actually want to watch the new boys...i just want to see a cricket score please quins.... Very Happy

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Fri 07 Sep 2012, 8:01 pm

bitter. perhaps if your lot had played better last year you wouldn't have been bottom and found yourself relegated. would you have felt the same had it been Bristol? richard
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 07 Sep 2012, 8:08 pm

Massive sour grapes.... raspberry

And ive said on many forums...i would have had no issues whatsoever had it been Bristol up. They deserved to replace us as champions.

And i know we were dire ...we have been for many seasons...ive been sat there watching it... Wink

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 07 Sep 2012, 8:18 pm

I'm busy and can't watch. What's the game been like?
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Fri 07 Sep 2012, 8:19 pm

they weren't champions as they didn't win the play off. that is what the play off is for. I don't suppose you'll complain if Newcastle finish 3rd in the table but win the play off.
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 07 Sep 2012, 8:22 pm

Ill still think its a bad system...as i do the premier play offs. Top of the table should win.

But we wont finish 3rd...we'll be top. And if we dont come back up....and if we lose in the play offs...yes ill be fuming...

THe play offs should be scrapped in both leagues...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 07 Sep 2012, 9:35 pm

40-3 and 6 Tries to nil. Sad (I had a 39pt margin on SuperBru - damned Botica failing to convert his own try)

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Fri 07 Sep 2012, 9:37 pm

Ouch! - Exeter at home for London Welsh next week..........

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Fri 07 Sep 2012, 9:46 pm

Going to be a long season yet a cruelly short stay for London in the Prem by the looks of it.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 07 Sep 2012, 9:49 pm

To be fair, you were playing the champions at the Stoop- not many harder matches, don't lose faith yet
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 07 Sep 2012, 9:53 pm

Well these first two matches were always going to be tough.

Next week at home to the Chiefs will give a better indication. Not that the Chiefs are weak (as Sale will attest) but as recent(ish) Championship winners they are the sort of team LW need to emulate.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Fri 07 Sep 2012, 9:57 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Ill still think its a bad system...as i do the premier play offs. Top of the table should win.

But we wont finish 3rd...we'll be top. And if we dont come back up....and if we lose in the play offs...yes ill be fuming...

THe play offs should be scrapped in both leagues...

I don't disagree in principle but that is not London Welshs fault. They played to the system in place and won. don't hate the player, hate the game.
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Looseheaded Fri 07 Sep 2012, 9:59 pm

Didn't get to watch the match, but not an unexpected scoreline.

Will take a few weeks to get a bit more up to speed, or at least with the lower ranked teams, where hopefully we can pinch one or two wins.

looking on the bright side, we still conceded less than Wasps.

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Fri 07 Sep 2012, 10:04 pm

Looseheaded wrote:Didn't get to watch the match, but not an unexpected scoreline.

Will take a few weeks to get a bit more up to speed, or at least with the lower ranked teams, where hopefully we can pinch one or two wins.

looking on the bright side, we still conceded less than Wasps.

Concentrated too much on defence then Wink

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 07 Sep 2012, 10:09 pm

mckay1402 wrote:I don't disagree in principle but that is not London Welshs fault. They played to the system in place and won. don't hate the player, hate the game.

Exeter Chiefs only got promoted via play-offs after finishing a fair few points behind Bristol. It is hypocritical to object to LWs place in the premiership because of their league position if you do not also object to the Chiefs.

However, while LW played to the system in place, they then challeneged the system that was in place in the courts to ensure promotion. I always dislike this attitude - If the rules/laws/system is wrong (and primacy of tenure was wrong) then challenge it up front, not just when/if it suits you. If you enter a competition you effectively agree to the rules in place. This is my objesction, but you know what I will just have to get over it - so promise to make this my last post on the issue. (Probably Smile)

I am far more worried that they do not have proper medical staff yet.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 07 Sep 2012, 11:31 pm

I am officially starting to feel sorry for the London Welsh players. Not their fault. But this will be a short stay at the top level. So the legal challenge to the existing rules will have been a Pyrrhic victory. It could end up doing more long term harm to the London Welsh club than any good obtained from a single season in the Premiership.

LondonTiger,
I don't agree primacy of tenure was wrong. I believe it is right for the business of Rugby, but the error was not allocating a definitive timeframe for all Premiership clubs to secure it or securing equivalent rights in the stadia win which they play. This is, of course, the benefit of perfect hindsight.

What do you mean about inadequate medical staff at Welsh? What happened?

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Fri 07 Sep 2012, 11:37 pm

Its alright guys, Gavin Henson will be back soon and then, then we will see the true LW!!

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 08 Sep 2012, 12:14 am

Ok ill take step back. I think LT has explained it exactly right. Exeter have been a breath of fresh air so I shouldnt be critical there...but maybe the way LW went about it.

Can I just say also I really dont have any sour grapes that was just tongue in cheek...for three /four years I have watched utter tosh from my team and we utterly deserved to go down.I have never questioned that...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 08 Sep 2012, 9:28 am

doctor_grey wrote:
LondonTiger,

What do you mean about inadequate medical staff at Welsh? What happened?

The Ground Criteria states that a club must have acceptable Medical Facilities so they can handle the sorts of injuries you can get in Rugby. That the Kassam has so all good. However last week LW were advertising for Qualified (unpaid) Interns in sports rehabilitation, physio and emergency care to come and work for a year to gain experience. This seemed to be a sad reflection on thecash flow issues that LW must have been struggling with.

On the field they will give everything they have and good luck to them. Off the field they should be applauded for coming back from the brink of insolvency two years ago - but their cash flow is seriiously limited. The new directors covered the £1.5m overdraft - but things will be tight. Thankfully the professional side was split from the amateur - so the club will still exist even if things go jubblies up.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 08 Sep 2012, 10:48 am

Thanks for the information. I didn't know they needed more staff for the medical support work. BUt I guess that is a result of the short preparation time?

Also didn't knoew they split the pro team from the rest of the club. That was smart.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat 08 Sep 2012, 12:29 pm

I actually rather like how Lynn Jones comes across. Hope they can get reasonably competitive later in the season
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 08 Sep 2012, 4:29 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Ok ill take step back. I think LT has explained it exactly right. Exeter have been a breath of fresh air so I shouldnt be critical there...but maybe the way LW went about it.

Can I just say also I really dont have any sour grapes that was just tongue in cheek...for three /four years I have watched utter tosh from my team and we utterly deserved to go down.I have never questioned that...

It's the system that is flawed. London Welsh, one of Londons greatest and most successful clubs, rightfully qualified.

I posted an article on the hows and why's.

You should read it.

https://www.606v2.com/t34383-london-welsh-explained

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by TropicalHotdog Sat 08 Sep 2012, 4:42 pm

That's two big defeats for the Oxford outfit now. Admittedly they were against two of the strongest sides in the Premiership. Having said that all sides are rusty at the moment so these early games were probably the best chance for Welsh to catch somebody cold and sneak a few points.

It's strange. Normally the underdog is supported in games like this, but it seems a lot of people want them crushed underfoot.

What's the lowest ever points total for a side in the Premiership?

TropicalHotdog

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 08 Sep 2012, 6:08 pm

Considering that LW had a month to budget and recruit to compete in the premiership, it is unsurprising.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Looseheaded Sat 08 Sep 2012, 6:18 pm

jeez people, I know it's quite a tough challenge for them to stay up, but lighten up a bit and give us a chance.
It's two games into the season, and two losses at the hands of last season's top teams, so we can wait and see how we stand when facing lesser teams after a bit of time to play catch up.
the LW bashing is getting a bit dull now, can we not think of other stuff to discuss?

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Sat 08 Sep 2012, 6:27 pm

LondonTiger wrote:
mckay1402 wrote:I don't disagree in principle but that is not London Welshs fault. They played to the system in place and won. don't hate the player, hate the game.

Exeter Chiefs only got promoted via play-offs after finishing a fair few points behind Bristol. It is hypocritical to object to LWs place in the premiership because of their league position if you do not also object to the Chiefs.

However, while LW played to the system in place, they then challeneged the system that was in place in the courts to ensure promotion. I always dislike this attitude - If the rules/laws/system is wrong (and primacy of tenure was wrong) then challenge it up front, not just when/if it suits you. If you enter a competition you effectively agree to the rules in place. This is my objesction, but you know what I will just have to get over it - so promise to make this my last post on the issue. (Probably Smile)

I am far more worried that they do not have proper medical staff yet.

What I don't understand about this argument is that if they were in the wrong how did they win the court case? If they didn't qualify within the rules in place (which haven't changed on the back of the court case) then on what grounds did the court find in their favour? I can only assume that because they were awarded the case that they were in the right and therefore qualified entirely on merit.

mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat 08 Sep 2012, 6:33 pm

They've already faced Tigers once and Quins at Quins- out of 22 games in a season, those 2 matches must be in the hardest 5. And this was in running rugby weather where if these teams get a chance they will put lots of points on teams. When they've had time to adapt some other sides might find Welsh are not as easy as they'd thought
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat 08 Sep 2012, 6:35 pm

And Quins they had to face after they'd just shipped 40 points to Wasps- we were always going to go out and prove a point defensively. Basically I don't think these two matches accurately represent the competition for most of the year
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 08 Sep 2012, 8:17 pm

mckay1402 wrote:
What I don't understand about this argument is that if they were in the wrong how did they win the court case? If they didn't qualify within the rules in place (which haven't changed on the back of the court case) then on what grounds did the court find in their favour? I can only assume that because they were awarded the case that they were in the right and therefore qualified entirely on merit.

The rules they contested were deemed to be unfair and restraint of trade. The RFU/PRL are rewriting the rules on the back of the courtcase.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 08 Sep 2012, 8:18 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:They've already faced Tigers once and Quins at Quins- out of 22 games in a season, those 2 matches must be in the hardest 5. And this was in running rugby weather where if these teams get a chance they will put lots of points on teams. When they've had time to adapt some other sides might find Welsh are not as easy as they'd thought

I have to say that comparing LW with Worcester - Worcester looked much the better (but more negative) team.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down