The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leicester 64 - Nottingham 7

3 posters

Go down

Leicester 64 - Nottingham 7 Empty Leicester 64 - Nottingham 7

Post by LondonTiger Sat 25 Aug 2012, 9:06 pm

Well the summer, and the phoney war, is almost over and I am back (lord help you). It is my intention this season to watch as many matches as my family duties (and my own prejudices) allow. I will then write up a match report - sort of the fan's view.

Now pre-season matches are funny old things as teams are rotated and no-one wants to get hurt. This match also started with the strange site of a near empty Crumbie Terrace as everyone rushed to hide from an enormous down pour. The heavens opened about 10 minutes before kick-off and, as well as demolishing the guttering in the roof of the Crumbie H&B stand, made conditions exceedingly difficult.

Nottingham kicked off and immediately showed that one of the main weaknesses from last season had not yet been fixed when Geof Parling and his lifters got their position completely wrong and the ball drifyed over his head. Thomas Waldrom tidied up but was engulfed by a horde of Nottingham forwards. Tigers recycled the ball and cleared to touch but we then had the worrying sight of Waldrom flat out. Thankfully he was only dazed.

Tigers messed up 4 of 5 Nottingham kick-offs in the first half. Parling especially culpable.

Throughout the game Tigers dominated the scrums and stole plenty of lineout. This forward dominance saw Waldrom score by the posts follwoing a good run back against the traffic by new signing Goneva. Nottingham were guilty of watching the Manu decoy run. This try was cancelled out when Nottingham charged down a Mickey Young clearance kick and won the chase to dot down the ball. After this there were a few bright moments for nottingham, but really the premiership team were, as you would expect, a class above their neighbours.

3 teams in the first half good footwork from Manu, followed by an outside break and well timed pass put his winger over the line. The first touchdown by Hamilton was pulled back due to a block in midfield, but the other two led to tries for Goneva and Hamilton. Tigers other try in the first half was a penalty try after Tigers had marched the nottingham pack back 20m at a scrum and then after getting a penalty drove the Nottingham team back again.

Mickey Young was one of 3 players replaced at halftime. He had (blocked kick excluded) and excellent 40 minutes. his service was extremely sharp of both hands giving toby Flood plenty of time to orchestrate affairs.

Manu had one more part to play, making good ground and offloading out of the tackle to allow Goneva to score a second try. He was immediately taken off but he looked sharp, showing a good outside break and a good range of passing. Yes boys he can pass (honest).

It became a bit of a party atmosphere after this. Numerous replacements, slick handling and another 5 tries to make it 10 in total. the best moment of the day though came when replacement prop Fraser Balmain picked the ball up on the Tigers 22 and started to run. The first many tried to tackle him on the 10m line but was brushed off. On the halfway line the second tackle was attempted - now this guy was still hanging onto Balmain as he approached the Nottingham 22. Eventually he was downed after covering 60m+ the last 20 with about 4 men hanging on to him.

Second best moment was tigers pushing Nottingham off their own scrum 10m out for Jordan Crane to score a a pushover try.

Overall a decent performance.

Of the new men, Goneva looks like he will be a major threat when he has the ball - but maybe a defensive liability while Rob Andrew outperformed Parling in the Tigers second row. Richard Thorpe had about 10 minutes at the end and finished off a flowing Tigers move to get a try. Sadly nothing was seen of Benjamin, Bowden or Thompstone.

The real stuff will be much harder, and sadly i will not be attending the Kassam (due to my own prejudices) but here's hoping for a great 2012/13

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Leicester 64 - Nottingham 7 Empty Re: Leicester 64 - Nottingham 7

Post by LondonTiger Sat 25 Aug 2012, 9:22 pm

England Player Watch:

Tom Youngs - played about 60 minutes. One wonky line-out. Not as showy in attack as sometimes us, but some good tackles made. Decent performance.

Dan Cole - played second 40 minutes. Continued Tigers dominace in the scrum, but opposition were poor.

Geoff Parling - poor at the restartes was easily outshone by the South african journeyman alongside him.

Thomas Waldrom - tidied up after Parling well, but looked to be carrying a knock after a late hit by ex-tiger Joe Duffy

Jordan Crane - only on about 25 minutes. Showed up well but opposition were knackered.

Mickey Young - Last season Quins second choice SH was in the England mix. On this performance there is no reason Tigers second choice could not be considered.

Toby Flood - One sliced clearance kick, but otherwise the performance of a master puppeteer. Easy though when your pack are so dominant.

George Ford - had about 15 minutes.

Anthony Allen - did what he always does, good breaks, good support play but not the answer to England's midfield woes

Manu Tuilagi - i know the opposition were only nottingham, but he was superb. Good range of passing, great foorwork and excellent outside breaks - I hope we can see these skills used in the white shirt of England. This year England have used him as a battering ram - has is capable of more than that.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Sat 25 Aug 2012, 10:36 pm

Thanks LT,

Maybe you could paste these articles on the Tigers' thread?

Although
Manu Tuilagi - i know the opposition were only nottingham, but he was superb. Good range of passing, great foorwork and excellent outside breaks - I hope we can see these skills used in the white shirt of England. This year England have used him as a battering ram - has is capable of more than that.
should be used with care as some people on this board will think you've been on mescaline or something.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 26 Aug 2012, 4:37 pm

Sounds like the standard pasting was handed out to the feeder club. Good to see Balmain making a name for himself, he was on the exchange programme out at Clermont last season. I'm hoping a season of dual registration with Notts will see him kick on Dan Cole style and he can continue his way through the Tigers ranks.

Nice to see Lewington grabbing a try, this could be his season as all the wing spots are open. If he can establish himself this season then when Geordan retires at the end of the season, next year he can make a solid claim for his favoured fullback position.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down