The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

County Championship Round 17 Discussion Thread

+4
guildfordbat
Corporalhumblebucket
JDizzle
Shelsey93
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

County Championship Round 17 Discussion Thread Empty County Championship Round 17 Discussion Thread

Post by Shelsey93 Tue 21 Aug 2012, 1:57 pm

I've just noticed that the 17th round of fixtures is under way.

Division One

Worcestershire v Durham @ New Road - Commentary link http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/19330652 (BBC Newcastle/ BBC Hereford and Worcester)

Worcs 120 (Pardoe 36, Rushworth 5-44) Durham 215-9 (Stokes 78, Andrew 5-74)

Somerset v Sussex @ Taunton - Commentary link http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/19319518 (BBC Sussex)

Somerset 175-3 (Trescothick 89*, Panesar 2-44)

Warwickshire v Middlesex @ Edgbaston - Commentary link http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/19319524 (BBC London/ BBC Coventry and Warwickshire/ BBC WM)

Middx 287 (Dexter 101, Robson 60, Blackwell 4-47) Warwicks 21-0 (Westwood 13*, Murtagh 0-8)

Division Two

Leicestershire v Hampshire @ Grace Road

Leics 334-8 (Cobb 82, Thakor 71*, White 53, Tomlinson 3-59)

Northamptonshire v Derbyshire @ Wantage Road

Northants 311-6 (Newton 115, Middlebrook 50*, Palladino 2-58)

Scores up to date to Stumps, Day 1

Last edited by Shelsey93 on Wed 22 Aug 2012, 9:08 am; edited 2 times in total

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

County Championship Round 17 Discussion Thread Empty Re: County Championship Round 17 Discussion Thread

Post by Shelsey93 Tue 21 Aug 2012, 1:58 pm

I see that new signing Ian Blackwell is making his Warwickshire debut and will bat at eight - scary proposition that is!

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

County Championship Round 17 Discussion Thread Empty Re: County Championship Round 17 Discussion Thread

Post by JDizzle Tue 21 Aug 2012, 4:10 pm

Big game between Sussex and Somerset. Somerset really need to win to keep this title race a 4 team thing for a little while longer, and there is potential for Warwickshire to drop points against Middlesex with their key man Woakes missing on England duty.

Ton for Dexter and three wickets already for Blackwell! And it looks like Durham are just hitting form at the right time with Worcs bowled out for 120.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 21 Aug 2012, 9:17 pm

Worcs look in serious trouble in this match; no batting points and likely to concede first innings lead of around 100. May well end the match on 87 points, same as Lancs.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 21 Aug 2012, 10:06 pm

Durham seem to be the current form team whilst Worcs appear near certainties for Division Two in 2013.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 21 Aug 2012, 10:09 pm

I see that Roland-Jones was out for an 11 ball duck for Middlesex today. Surrey bowlers please take note!

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurryfan Tue 21 Aug 2012, 11:25 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:I see that Roland-Jones was out for an 11 ball duck for Middlesex today. Surrey bowlers please take note!

Indeed I noticed that too! Its looking like Surrey's last match against Lancs will decide our fate... looks too close to call at this stage...Looking like Durham might well be doing us a favour as well! just shows how quickly things can turn around... a month or so ago, they were looking adrift at the bottom...

chichestersurryfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Wed 22 Aug 2012, 8:59 am

guildfordbat wrote:Durham seem to be the current form team whilst Worcs appear near certainties for Division Two in 2013.

Having said that this time last season we'd have said Worcs as certainties for Div Two in 2012 and the neutrals amongst us would have said that Surrey's promotion chances were slim at best. This competition has a habit of throwing up enticing finishes!

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 22 Aug 2012, 11:22 am

Shelsey93 wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:Durham seem to be the current form team whilst Worcs appear near certainties for Division Two in 2013.

Having said that this time last season we'd have said Worcs as certainties for Div Two in 2012 and the neutrals amongst us would have said that Surrey's promotion chances were slim at best. This competition has a habit of throwing up enticing finishes!

Shelsey - if you look at the Surrey threads from a year ago, you'll see that it wasn't just the neutrals who were saying that our promotion chances were slim at best! Very Happy

I rather like Worcs - probably stemming from Dolly being a boyhood hero - and will be sorry if they do go down. I will also have sympathy for the always gracious poster and Worcs supporter Pack of Wolves. However, I just think they're too reliant on that excellent county stalwart Alan Richardson and that even he won't be able to pull a rabbit out of the hat this time.

I do suspect there may well be twists and turns in the final match of the season between Lancs and Surrey with one of those to join Worcs for the drop.

Meanwhile, at the top end, it's Warks' title to lose - as it was last year and they did!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 22 Aug 2012, 2:54 pm

As if proof were needed, the more I follow cricket the less I know the game!

Worcs advance to 138-0 in their second innings, a lead of 24 ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 22 Aug 2012, 5:33 pm

That's more like it!

Worcs go from 148-0 to 243-8 ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Wed 22 Aug 2012, 6:31 pm

Middlesex have made a good fightback reducing Warwickshire from 175/0 to 293/8. If they can get the last 2 wickets quickly tomorrow this now becomes a one innings match; it is key for Middlesex to get something out of this, having now lost 3 matches on the trott (including 2 narrow ones to Durham and Surrey), if they want to avoid an end-of-season relegation battle. Of course if they beat Warwickshire the title race is open once more...

Phil Hughes's century has given Worcestershire hope, but Durham should probably come out on top and I think they'll stay in division 1 now.

Somerset Sussex is evenly poised...

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Wed 22 Aug 2012, 6:33 pm

Monty Panesar with a seven for in the first innings against Somerset... Shocked

Time for Rehman to earn his money.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 22 Aug 2012, 6:41 pm

Good summary there, Mike.

I noticed that Roland-Jones who was so impressive at the Oval last week has picked up 3 wickets so far.

Btw, I briefly explained last night on the 'Surrey news / articles' thread last night why I'm in two minds about the posthumous award of a county cap to Tom Maynard. I may come across as a heartless git to some but would still value comments, particularly from those of you who have an interest in the game beyond Kevin Pietersen ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurryfan Wed 22 Aug 2012, 9:18 pm

Hi Guildford bat... I do see exactly where you are coming from on this. and you certainly don't come across as a "heartless git"! I thought that that Mike Selig's and Shelsey 93's replies were excellent.. Whatever the circumstances of Tom Maynard's death which I know nothing about and can't comment on...to me, to award a cap posthumously does instinctively feel to me the right thing to do...In the event of a tragic, untimely death of any person, particularly a young person, all sorts of things are said and done afterwards which might not be exactly be completely 'justified' but nonetheless are absolutely valid in terms of aiding a collective grieving process and marking the loss of someone in a tangible way, particularly for close family.... Tom was very clearly a talented young cricketer and of course, it remains pure conjecture as to how his career might have developed...

I can remember years ago when I was a uni... a tragic case where a student on my course was killed in a car accident and was subsequently awarded a posthumous degree...Everyone on my course felt that was absolutely the right thing to have done.. regardless of the circumstances of the accident...which in that particular case turned out to have been alcohol related...

Anyway, those are my thoughts.. for what they are worth.....

Back to today's cricket... Worcester fought back well.. but hoping that Durham can get over the winning line.. otherwise.. its game on again for Worcester!

chichestersurryfan

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 22 Aug 2012, 9:47 pm

chichestersurryfan wrote:Hi Guildford bat...

Anyway, those are my thoughts.. for what they are worth.....

Chichester - An awful lot and much appreciated.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 23 Aug 2012, 11:34 am

Looks like there could be a cracking end to the game at Chester - le - Street.

Needing 151 against Wors, Durham are currently 26-3. The ever reliable Alan Richardson has 2-9 off 5 overs ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Thu 23 Aug 2012, 1:08 pm

Durham have recovered thanks to the old wise heads of Collingwood and Benkenstein, and the inability of Worcestershire's change bowlers to carry on the work of the openers. It is now nearly certain that they will clinch another victory.

Sussex's tail has wagged and given them a narrow lead over Somerset. Somerset have more or less erased that though and it is now a 2nd innnings shoot out. Given that spin has already taken 14 wickets so far, Somerset will perhaps think they have a slight advantage.

Leicestershire are pushing on against Hampshire - is it just me or has Katich had a really poor season so far?

Warwickshire's last 2 wickets put on a few and gave them some momentum, which they capitalised on with 2 early wickets. Malan and Rogers have settled somewhat, but we have seen many times Middlesex's lower order has collapsed a few times (the first innings here was the exception rather than the rule). This is a vital game for both sides, Middlesex really need to stop the rot, whilst Warwickshire need to keep winning.

Nobody is really interested in Derbs against Northants are they? Derbyshire's tail has done some wagging but they are still behind. Could be a draw now.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Thu 23 Aug 2012, 2:03 pm

I wonder how much effect Paul Collingwood has has since he become Durham 4 day captain, certainly he has a decent record as a captain (T20 World Cup) but how much is down to him or was it just the team realising that they needed to buck their ideas up is an interesting one.

And Somerset will be disappointed in letting Sussex get a lead, they could be well on top here if it was not for Khan and Panesar. They have let the tail wag too much this year and I fear losing the second game of the season against Warwicks when number 10 Jeetan Patel scored 40 to win Warks the game will prove to be the deciding moment in our season once again.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 23 Aug 2012, 2:33 pm

After a few early scares and 3 wickets for Richardson, Durham beat Worcs by 6 wickets. As Mike says above, the old wise heads of Collingwood and Benkenstein prove too much for the support bowlers.

Durham very much on the up whilst Worcs staring Division Two in the face ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 23 Aug 2012, 2:59 pm

Meanwhile, Middlesex are 155-2 in their second innings againt Warks with Rogers and Malan both going well. Effectively, 109-2 in a one innings match. Interesting ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Thu 23 Aug 2012, 3:05 pm

Middlesex's (IMO) 2 best batsmen doing a fine job at the moment, scoring quickly, which is putting the pressure on Warwickshire.

Somerset-Sussex is shaping up nicely as well.

Derbyshire's 9th wicket pair has added a somewhat extraordinary 110 so far to put them right back in it against Northants. With the momentum in their favour a few quick wickets in Northants's 2nd innings could make things interesting.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Thu 23 Aug 2012, 3:40 pm

Nice to see Dawid Malan in the runs. When I saw him get a highly valuable 80-odd against Surrey at the start of the season I thought he would have a really good year but he has rather stumbled along once again - good enough not to get dropped, but not good enough to make a real difference.

If we get a big enough lead we can put Warwickshire under some pressure. Already it is looking very tough for them to win. My only concern is Middlesex's big issues in the spin department - with Rayner injured we have Ravi Patel, who is on debut and didn't pull up any trees first time round.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Thu 23 Aug 2012, 3:51 pm

Rogers gets to his century - he really has been an excellent addition to Middlesex's somewhat fragile batting.

Malan is just soooo frustrating. Looks a million dollars, plays some truly fantastic innings, then sometimes he'll just waft at one, or play around a straight one.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Thu 23 Aug 2012, 4:03 pm

Mike Selig wrote:
Malan is just soooo frustrating. Looks a million dollars, plays some truly fantastic innings, then sometimes he'll just waft at one, or play around a straight one.

Could be the new David Gower then!

Following Derbyshire with interest this season. Surely they can't hold out and get promoted can they?

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Thu 23 Aug 2012, 4:08 pm

VTR wrote:Following Derbyshire with interest this season. Surely they can't hold out and get promoted can they?

As Division Two goes, they aren't a bad team. Their bowlers - Groenewald, Palladino, Wainwright, Turner, Clare - are all worthy if not fantastic, and in Madsen, Durston and their overseas players they have some good quality county batsmen too. On paper Yorkshire and Hampshire are probably better sides, and Essex could also be said to underachieve, but I'm not at all surprised that Derby would go well.

Should they complete promotion I think they'd struggle though. They lack cutting edge players who could take them to the next level, and probably also the resources to sign any.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Thu 23 Aug 2012, 4:13 pm

Agreed Shelsey. Their ground in Derby is utterly shambolic, which does not suggest any level of resources needed to compete. Its strange because bad as it is I quite like it (I don't support them but have been to matches there).

Would be an incredible achievement if they did go up given where they were 4/5 years ago, but they would almost certainly come straight back down.

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 23 Aug 2012, 4:28 pm

Meanwhile, Somerset wobbling badly against Sussex at Taunton. They're 148-6, a second innings lead of just 116. 3 wickets so far for Panesar.

A Sussex win and a Warks loss would certainly open up the top of the Championship ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Thu 23 Aug 2012, 5:05 pm

Ah Middlesex having our usual collapse, 3 quick wickets since tea. Need a bit of tail resistance to make the game safe here. The weather could play a part tomorrow also.

Somerset have rather messed this up, although it won't be an easy chase given the turn in the pitch.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Thu 23 Aug 2012, 5:16 pm

I'd have liked a lead of 200 minimum really for Somerset going into the last innings, with the pitch the way it is, but if Sussex end up chasing 160/170 then you'd think they could just see of Rehman and milk the other bowlers. Having Dockrell would really have helped in this game. If we lose, which looks likely, then the wait for the CC goes on. Sad

Of course winning the T20 on Saturday would ease the pain.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Thu 23 Aug 2012, 5:29 pm

Enjoying Sussex's form. I think I tipped them for third at the start of the season without really believing it myself - they could now go even better than that!

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 23 Aug 2012, 5:37 pm

Shelsey93 wrote:Enjoying Sussex's form. I think I tipped them for third at the start of the season without really believing it myself - they could now go even better than that!

They're certainly looking good for a top two spot ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 23 Aug 2012, 10:04 pm

I had always associated Derby with boredom for a reason I can't quite remember - but stunning batting today with world record for 9th wicket partnership well within reach....

Interesting to see Malan following the advice of several seasoned 606v2 posters and delivering a high score for Middlesex. He and Ice Berg may have holed Warks chances below the water line.

But fair chance that both Warks and Somerset matches may end as draws due to bad weather.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Thu 23 Aug 2012, 10:23 pm

That Derbyshire-Northants game is quite sensational. Derby were 164-6 and then 253-8.

Poynton, who came in at 10 and is 105* is a rare modern case of a 'keeper with very little batting pedigree. From 17 matches prior to this one he had a first-class average of 12 and 1 half-century.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Thu 23 Aug 2012, 10:54 pm

I would have thought middlesex will look to bat on another 10 overs or so tomorrow anyway - they will be desperate to stop the recent run of defeats. In any case it has been a much better performance from the batsmen, and Malan at last has knuckled down and made a big score.

Derbyshire's current partnership has really grown a bit silly, but it has given them a chance of an unlikely victory.

Sussex certainly now have the upper hand, although the game isn't won by any means. It would be a shame if rain intervened.

Hampshire are in real trouble though - for a side battling for promotion a defeat to Leicestershire would be a very bad setback.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurryfan Thu 23 Aug 2012, 10:59 pm

Just been looking at the remaining fixture list! I reckon that the Corporal, GuildfordBat, Jimbob, Carrot dude et al [ oh and Chichester!] will be coming honary Middx fans for next week as I see they take on Lancs! Very Happy I do think that Worcester have had it now for this season... Those extra points that Surrey have over lancs may well be crucial.. especially were the weather to intervene.. the long term met office forecast for Sept isnt exactly promising if its an Indian Summer you are after! Lancs also playing Durham.. who are certainly on a roll at the present... probably left it a bit late for the Championship... but 4 wins on the trot is extremely impressive...

chichestersurryfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Thu 23 Aug 2012, 11:09 pm

The weather has made this a season of few wins. Warwickshire, Sussex and Derbyshire only have 5 each and find themselves in the upper echelons of their divisions with 2 or 3 games each remaining. As a point of comparison Lancs won 10 games last time round, with 12 counties winning 5 or more each.

In 2004 the bonus point system was criticised when Warwickshire won the Championship with only 5 wins - Kent had 7. Could this happen again?

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurryfan Thu 23 Aug 2012, 11:39 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:I had always associated Derby with boredom for a reason I can't quite remember - but stunning batting today with world record for 9th wicket partnership well within reach....

Interesting to see Malan following the advice of several seasoned 606v2 posters and delivering a high score for Middlesex. He and Ice Berg may have holed Warks chances below the water line.

But fair chance that both Warks and Somerset matches may end as draws due to bad weather.

I agree, Corporal , re association with Derby and boredom... just wondering if that stems from us both being at a match at the Oval many years years ago...I have a vague memory of the days play ending up with the score something like Derby 240 or so for six after 110 overs! with John Wright getting a century...

Anyway, apologies for all the Derby fans out there! and what a performance by your team today! with such an huge 9th wicket partnership.. the only surprising thing is that it wasn't against the Surrey bowling attack Yahoo

chichestersurryfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Fri 24 Aug 2012, 11:11 am

Malan goes early in the morning. Still, a very good innings given when he came in Middlesex were in deep trouble. clap Still think Middlesex will want to make the game safeish before thinking about a declaration.

Raining at Taunton.

Derbyshire have lost a wicket!

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 24 Aug 2012, 11:37 am

Mike Selig wrote:

Still think Middlesex will want to make the game safeish before thinking about a declaration.

Totally agree. Vital for Middlesex that they end their current losing run. Whilst they should still be looking for a win, 3 points from a draw will edge them closer to safety given what they already have in the bank.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Fri 24 Aug 2012, 12:07 pm

Middlesex lose 4 wickets in 4 overs to leave Warwickshire needing 367 in 83 overs, which is pretty much what I'd have set anyway. I don't think Warwickshire can chase this (if they do, then we deserve to lose)

A good effort from Middlesex against the leaders so far, crucial to stop the rot. 83 overs for 10 wickets could be done if they pick up a couple of wickets before lunch.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Fri 24 Aug 2012, 12:47 pm

Embarrassing performance by Hampshire Doh

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 24 Aug 2012, 12:55 pm

Mike Selig wrote:

A good effort from Middlesex against the leaders so far, crucial to stop the rot. 83 overs for 10 wickets could be done if they pick up a couple of wickets before lunch.

.... and Middlesex have those two wickets. Both the openers gone. Can debutant Patel come to the party this afternoon? Certainly enough runs to play with ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Fri 24 Aug 2012, 12:59 pm

Sussex 86-4 chasing 164 to win. Come on Somerset!

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 24 Aug 2012, 1:11 pm

JDizzle wrote:Sussex 86-4 chasing 164 to win. Come on Somerset!

JD - there seems a lack of confidence (possibly stemming from lack of form/ability) in your back up bowlers. 'Archie' Gemaal Hussain, Steve Kirby and on loan Saj Mahmood have hardly been involved.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 24 Aug 2012, 1:21 pm

guildfordbat wrote:

.... Can debutant Patel come to the party this afternoon? Certainly enough runs to play with ....

Patel arrives early! Takes a wicket with his first ball in the over before lunch getting Porterfield stumped. Hit for 2 boundaries after that but Middlesex won't mind too much. It's wickets they're after now ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Fri 24 Aug 2012, 1:28 pm

Middlesex have exactly the start they'd have wanted and more. Both openers (the only batsmen to really get in in the first innings) back, then the bonus wicket to the spinner just before lunch.

Great chance for them now if the weather stays away.

The game at Taunton isn't over yet either, a couple of early wickets after lunch...

Derbyshire... wow. Did not see that coming at the start of the season.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Fri 24 Aug 2012, 1:46 pm

Chris Wood 101 off 82 balls
David Balcombe 68 off 63 balls

150 partnership for the 10th wicket County Championship Round 17 Discussion Thread 1347041234

Practicing for tomorrow Whistle

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Fri 24 Aug 2012, 2:00 pm

Fair play Chris Wood. I remember when I first saw him play in a T20 for Hampshire a few years ago, he didn't look like he knew which end of the bat to hold.

And you are right Guildford, it is a weakness of Trescothick as captain that he does really to heavily on our overseas player in general to be our match winner with the ball, but some of it is justified as Kirby has had his injury problems, Gemaal is the most inconsistent bowler I have ever seen and Mahmood is.... Saj Mahmood. Hopefully the Overton twins will develop this winter and can finally give us a stable attack that can be the same from game to game, which has been the biggest problem.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Fri 24 Aug 2012, 2:10 pm

JDizzle wrote:Fair play Chris Wood. I remember when I first saw him play in a T20 for Hampshire a few years ago, he didn't look like he knew which end of the bat to hold.

Haha to be fair he either gets out for 0 or will get a quickfire good score. Has certainly improved massively and is tuning into a good all round player. Been a top performer for us in the shorter format, bowling a good lenght with Bates up to the stumps. Just one of many impressive youngsters at the club OK

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next