The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Black day for the sport

+11
KingMonkey
beefyboi
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
davidemore
BoxingFan88
eddyfightfan
TRUSSMAN66
spencerclarke
Jamson
Perfessor Albertus Lion V
oxring
15 posters

Go down

Black day for the sport Empty Black day for the sport

Post by oxring Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:19 pm

What, in your opinion, has been the worst "black eye" for boxing of recent times?

All the talk at the moment is of Bradley-Alexander and how awful the fight was - personally I thought the fight was quite good - but it has been hailed as a "lost opportunity" for the sport; and an example of how far below the level of Mayweather-Pacquiao the "next generation" are.

If Bradley-Alexander was bad, however - I am sure there's been worse. Cintron-Martinez comes to mind.

What; in your opinion has been the worst moment for boxing in the last 10 years. Or to narrow it down; since Lewis' retirement.

oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Black day for the sport Empty Re: Black day for the sport

Post by Perfessor Albertus Lion V Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:09 pm

oxring wrote:What, in your opinion, has been the worst "black eye" for boxing of recent times?

~Why, kind sir, obviously the worstest black eye and brownest stains of third millennium boxing is anytime a microphone or videocam got stuck in any of the faces of the serial recidivist Mayweather clan.

Strangled by that giggle of copiously larded olde sagging "sportsmen" going by the acronyms WBA and WBC with their minting of every new belt and every press release of mandatories and contenders.

Straggling behind screaming "fair but firm" mean ol' Mr. Kojak Joe Cortez in his 4th decade of screwing up every good fight he witnessed.

Still, remember these days well as we are in the transition to a new worstest era where the last era lays in state while being revised to the golden glory years of sepia toned memories as happens to every era.

https://www.606v2.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamson Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:18 am

The decorum Floyd lacks in front of the microphone is more than made up by his absolute genius in the ring.

Blackest days in the sport... Bad injuries or deaths in the ring are probably the worst.. the shady nature of how boxing is staged and financed is also pretty bad... mafia connections etc

Jamson

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:02 pm

Hmmmm this could go on for ever now! Too many black eyes in recent times

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:06 pm

Chisora - Haye........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:07 pm

the biggest tragedy of recent times is been denied manny mayweather whilst it was still relevant. the what if moment of the decade, and ill forever remember each fighter as not taking on the other.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:28 pm

Abril vs Rios was a pretty bad day for me, that was a shocking decision and I am a Rios fan...

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:02 pm

Everything Bob Arums says feels like a black-eye for the sport.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:09 pm

Every breath Bob Arum takes makes the sport get darker and darker and darker and................
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by beefyboi Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:55 pm

david haye standing on a table asking everyone to look at his poorly toe, my mates who dont follow boxing laughed at the sport.

beefyboi

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:01 pm

Yeah, Haye making an idiot of himself by blaming his toe after such a high profile event really hurt. Not so much boxing, the fight probably did that, but the fact that I had been blowing Haye's trumpet for ages and hyping the fight like a nutter. Then that......

No Manny vs Floyd has done a lot of damage but for me it has to be each and every time a new belt or title is invented. Or a new 'governing body' is formed. I mean seriously for us guys it's stupid but for the casual it's just mindblowingly confusing. After Brook - Hatton Kell walked away with two gargantuan straps draped over him!!! For what??

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:35 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Chisora - Haye........
http://www.themarketingblog.co.uk/2012/06/nalbandian-and-line-judge-to-meet-on-undercard-of-haye-vs-chisora-fight/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=nalbandian-and-line-judge-to-meet-on-undercard-of-haye-vs-chisora-fight

Boxing promoter Frank Warren has announced that David Nalbandian and the line judge he injured at Queen’s Club on Sunday will settle their differences in the boxing ring.

Warren has wasted no time in exploiting the publicity surrounding the incident and revealed that the fight will take place on the undercard of the controversial bout between David Haye and Derek Chisora, claiming that it is ‘a fight that the public want to see‘.

‘You’re always going to have your critics in this game and some might say that this is ‘distasteful’, ‘shameful opportunism’ or ‘a complete and utter freak show and waste of everyone’s time’, but the truth of the matter is that this is a fight that people want to happen. And I’m all about giving people what they want, in exchange for them giving me lots of money’ said the veteran promoter.

Neither David Nalbandian or Andrew McDougall hold a current licence with the British Boxing Board of Control, with one being a tennis player and the other a 54 year old line judge. Because of this the Luxembourg Boxing Federation has once again stepped in to sanction the fight. The BBBC have responded to the announcement by accusing Warren of ‘desperation’.

‘This is the latest distasteful addition to a wholly unsavoury event being organised by Mr Warren’ read a statement released by the BBBC. ‘We would like to re-iterate our position that anybody holding a current BBBC licence will face sanctions and the possible removal of their licence if they take part in this circus. We believe it is this position that has lead to two non-boxers being involved out of desperation on Mr Warren’s part. Frankly the whole event is one step up from making homeless people fight for food. Maybe even a step down actually.’

Many will expect the 30 year old professional sportsman Nalbandian to make light work of his slightly tubby, 54 year old opponent who sits still and stares down a line for a living, but the fight’s promoter feels that McDougall has what it takes to spring a surprise.

‘He may not be in great shape but he feels wronged by what happened at Queen’s Club and has revenge as a motivator, and that is a powerful weapon.’ insisted Warren, ‘But even if he does take a pasting then I still get paid, so everybody’s a winner right?’

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:38 pm

Perfessor Albertus Lion V wrote:
oxring wrote:What, in your opinion, has been the worst "black eye" for boxing of recent times?

~Why, kind sir, obviously the worstest black eye and brownest stains of third millennium boxing is anytime a microphone or videocam got stuck in any of the faces of the serial recidivist Mayweather clan.

Strangled by that giggle of copiously larded olde sagging "sportsmen" going by the acronyms WBA and WBC with their minting of every new belt and every press release of mandatories and contenders.

Straggling behind screaming "fair but firm" mean ol' Mr. Kojak Joe Cortez in his 4th decade of screwing up every good fight he witnessed.

Still, remember these days well as we are in the transition to a new worstest era where the last era lays in state while being revised to the golden glory years of sepia toned memories as happens to every era.

Last edited by andygf on Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:42 pm

As a boxing fan this shouldn't be a fun thing to think about....

Ignoring the seriousness of injuries, my list includes:

Haye Chisora
Chisora's conduct pre and post fight with Vit
Haye's toe opera
Pac Brad - I know there have been worse decisions such as the recent Rios one but this was a huge event so had more impact
Pac Floyd not fighting after the Cotto fight
Margarito's hand wraps
The whole Khan Peterson story
Harrison Haye
definitely Harrison Haye

Back to top Go down

Post by SharkSoul Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:12 am

I look past all the boxing atrocities and ridiculous decisions in and out of the ring and view everyone we have lost over the last ten years from the sport as the real 'black eyes'.

SharkSoul

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:51 am

If Bob Arum were to keel over and snuff it tomorrow it would honestly be met by boxing fans with same kind of joy as if a tyrant had died - think newspaper covers when Saddam, Osama et al went, I imagine boxing news would have the equivalent.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by UpandUnder Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:06 am

Worst black eye for boxing is the continued disinterest by both promotors and fighters to fight the best

UpandUnder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down