The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Federers #1 streak getting interesting

+11
prostaff85
slashermcguirk
Henman Bill
barrystar
CAS
laverfan
time please
Josiah Maiestas
luciusmann
HM Murdock
bogbrush
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Federers #1 streak getting interesting - Page 2 Empty Federers #1 streak getting interesting

Post by bogbrush Sun 19 Aug 2012, 7:11 pm

First topic message reminder :

With the surprising win in Cincinnatti, Federer is now guaranteed to be #1 after the US Open whatever happens. A win or final appearance would probably see him go to the O2 as the leader.

This puts 300 in sight and gives him a real shot at the y/e ranking, something I'd never have thought possible, certainly not after he wasted that 2nd match point in the USO semi last year.

It's a stunning turn of events and something he must be very proud of; in one fell swoop he's taken a record that he looked to have blown, probably taking it somewhere it will stand for decades, and destroyed any idea that he only dominated in his peak years because of weak competition.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Federers #1 streak getting interesting - Page 2 Empty Re: Federers #1 streak getting interesting

Post by sirfredperry Tue 11 Sep 2012, 10:31 am

So how many more weeks is Fed GUARANTEED number one, whatever happens? Even if he can't make year-end numero uno, it would be nice if Rog could chalk up 300 weeks in total.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Federers #1 streak getting interesting - Page 2 Empty Re: Federers #1 streak getting interesting

Post by barrystar Tue 11 Sep 2012, 10:56 am

Fed is guaranteed to be #1 on 07.10.12, which would be 299 weeks all in; the milestone of 300 weeks would be reached if Fed is #1 on 14.10.12 and it is very close to being guaranteed because Djoko will be 1425 points behind on 01.10.12.

In order to get to #1 by 14.10.12 Djoko would have to: (i) pick up maximum points at both the China Open and Shanghai (1,500) and (ii) hope that either Fed does not play at Shanghai or that Fed turns up and loses his first match. That is because it's 90 points for making R16 at a Masters and Fed starts in R32.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 11 Sep 2012, 11:07 am

Hold fast chaps, I am preparing a "300" article. I want to wait for now and give Andy Murrays fans their rightful moment in the Sun.

Nobody needs to be focussing on Roger or Rafa right now.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Tue 11 Sep 2012, 11:11 am

bogbrush wrote:Hold fast chaps, I am preparing a "300" article. I want to wait for now and give Andy Murrays fans their rightful moment in the Sun.

Nobody needs to be focussing on Roger or Rafa right now.

One of the interesting things about this result is its effect on the outcome and the integrity of the #1 race between beaten finalist Djoko and Fed. That is topical and legitimate and your current thread is more than adequate.

barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2