The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Springboks vs Pumas: Team announcements and match thread.

+37
offload
wales606
sugarNspikes
LeinsterFan4life
ChequeredJersey
TJ1
majesticimperialman
Mad for Chelsea
mckay1402
GunsGerms
funnyExiledScot
bluestonevedder
yappysnap
lammergeier
Hound_of_Harrow
kingelderfield
gowales
Galted
OzT
pete (buachaill on eirne)
formerly known as Sam
Taylorman
emack2
FerN
kiakahaaotearoa
Mr Fishpaste
disneychilly
Artful_Dodger
MBTGOG
Morgannwg
Chjw131
HammerofThunor
Geordie
maestegmafia
anotherworldofpain
Ozzy3213
Biltong
41 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Springboks vs Pumas: Team announcements and match thread. Empty Springboks vs Pumas: Team announcements and match thread.

Post by Biltong Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:14 am

Argentinian team news.

Former Stade Francais veteran Roncero, 35, will be winning his 50th cap as he looks to bring down the curtain on his career with this tournament.

Ten of the starters played in the World Cup quarter-final loss to New Zealand and eight play in France’s Top 14 league.

Racing-Metro fly half Juan Martin Hernandez, who missed the World Cup through injury, will be back as will third rower Juan Fernandez Lobbe, who succeeds dropped Felipe Contepomi as skipper.

Argentina, making their debut in the Southern Hemisphere tournament formerly known as the Tri-Nations, will then go up against Australia and New Zealand.

Argentina team to play South Africa at Newlands in Cape Town Saturday in first round of inaugural Rugby Championship (formerly Tri-Nations):

Team:

15 Lucas Gonzalez Amorosino, 14 Gonzalo Camacho, 13 Marcelo Bosch, 12 Santiago Fernandez, 11 Horacio Agulla, 10 Juan Martin Hernandez, 9 Nicolas Vergallo, 8 Juan Martin Fernandez Lobbe (Captain), 7 Alvaro Galindo, 6 Julio Farias Cabello, 5 Patricio Albacete, 4 Manuel Carizza, 3 Juan Figallo, 2 Eusebio Guinazu, 1 Rodrigo Roncero

Replacements: 16 Bruno Postiglioni, 17 Marcos Ayerza, 18 Juan Pablo Orlandi, 19 Tomas Leonardi, 20 Leonardo Senatore, 21 Martin Landajo, 22 Martin Rodriguez

Springbok team to be announced.
The 25-year-old Steyn, who made his Test debut against Ireland in 2006, will become the 23rd player to reach 50 Test caps for South Africa. He is back at inside centre after missing the third England Test in June because of his own wedding.

Apart from Steyn’s return, two Springboks who have yet to feature this year are also back.

They are lock Andries Bekker and Lwazi Mvovo. Mvovo takes over from the injured JP Pietersen at right wing while Bekker replaces Juandré Kruger in the middle row for his first Test in more than two years.

Keegan Daniel will start his first Test for South Africa and comes in at No 8 for the injured Pierre Spies.

In the only other changes from the team that played England in Port Elizabeth, Willem Alberts returns to flank in the place of Jacques Potgieter, who is on the bench, while Zane Kirchner is back at fullback for Gio Aplon.

In total there are five changes from the team that started in Port Elizabeth. The Springbok team has a combined total of 432 Test caps for this Test – 157 amongst the forwards and 275 for the backs.

Springbok coach Heyneke Meyer decided to stick with combinations for the Test against Argentina – the front row and loose forwards are from The Sharks, the locks play together for the DHL Stormers and the halfbacks are from the Vodacom Bulls.

“We’ve now been together for the June Tests and have had a good week to prepare, but we are still rather new as a team and it’s good that the players know each other,” said Meyer.

“Andries was always in our plans and it was a setback to lose him in June, while Lwazi has been impressive this year and I know he can fill the huge boots of JP. We’re still a young team when it comes to experience, but this is Test rugby and there is no place to hide.

“The players have been working very hard on the training field and we now need to translate that to the Test. Argentina will be fired up as they are making their debut in The Castle Rugby Championship and we know they will be a tough opponent on Saturday.”

There are two players on the bench that will be making their debut should they get game time – prop Pat Cilliers and utility back JJ Engelbrecht. Pat Lambie is also back on the bench after missing the Test in Port Elizabeth because of an ankle injury.

“We decided to go for these two because of their utility value – Pat Cilliers can scrum on both sides and JJ covers outside centre and wing, which JP Pietersen used to do for us,” said Meyer.

The Springbok team to face Argentina in Cape Town is:

15. Zane Kirchner (Vodacom Blue Bulls) 15 caps
14. Lwazi Mvovo (The Sharks) 4 caps
13. Jean de Villiers (captain, DHL Western Province) 75 caps
12. Frans Steyn (The Sharks) 49 caps
11. Bryan Habana (DHL Western Province) 77 caps
10. Morné Steyn (Vodacom Blue Bulls) 37 caps
9. Francois Hougaard (Vodacom Blue Bulls) 18 caps
8. Keegan Daniel (The Sharks) 3 caps
7. Willem Alberts (The Sharks) 11 caps
6. Marcell Coetzee (The Sharks) 3 caps
5. Andries Bekker (DHL Western Province) 24 caps
4. Eben Etzebeth (DHL Western Province) 3 caps
3. Jannie du Plessis (The Sharks) 33 caps
2. Bismarck du Plessis (vice-captain, The Sharks) 45 caps
1. Tendai Mtawarira (The Sharks) 35 caps
Replacements
16. Adriaan Strauss (Toyota FS Cheetahs) 12 caps
17. Pat Cilliers (MTN Golden Lions) uncapped
18. Flip van der Merwe (Vodacom Blue Bulls) 14 caps
19. Jacques Potgieter (Vodacom Blue Bulls) 1 cap
20. Ruan Pienaar (Ulster, Northern Ireland) 54 caps
21. Pat Lambie (The Sharks) 13 caps
22. JJ Engelbrecht (Vodacom Blue Bulls) uncapped

Last edited by Biltong on Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Springboks vs Pumas: Team announcements and match thread. Empty Re: Springboks vs Pumas: Team announcements and match thread.

Post by Ozzy3213 Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:28 am

Any ideas on what the back row will be Biltong?

I am presuming that Alberts will start in place of Spies, with Daniel and Coetzee on the flanks.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Springboks vs Pumas: Team announcements and match thread. Empty Re: Springboks vs Pumas: Team announcements and match thread.

Post by Biltong Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:34 am

Most likely Ozzie, I don't think Meyer will put Kolisi as a starter, there needs to be some experience on there.

Meyer said they won't be calling up anyone to replace Spies yet, so that is pretty much the options available, Unless he continues his love affair with Bulls playerscand puts Potgieter in.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:35 am

Did I read somewhere that Keegan Daniel got bitten by a spider and has a swollen arm?
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:41 am

Yes, but according to reports he should be fine.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:42 am

I would imagine in that case it will be the Sharks back row with Potgieter on bench, although i would much prefer to see Kolisi get a run out than the Bulls man.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:45 am

Me too, what worries me a little is that apart from the locks injuries have basically forced Meyer to go for the Sharks forward pack.

Could be good as they all know each other. Fatigue though could play a big role as these guys effectively had one week rest since the end of the Super Rugby campaign and only two bye weeks for the whole season, but filled with travel.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:47 am

What will be the lock pairing, Etzebeth and Kruger still or will Bekker come back in?
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:53 am

The forwards coach was leaning towards Etzebeth and Bekker, but once again, Bekker is struggling with a back pain and Etzebeth also has some injury cloud over him, can't remember what the injury was though.

So there are concerns.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:55 am

So potentially a pack of Beast, Bismarck, Jannie, Etzebeth, Bekker, Daniel, Coetzee and Alberts.

When was the the last time South Africa put out a pack for a tier one international with no Bulls player in it?
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:00 am

Just 50 caps is so small for a modern player. Welcome from the wilderness Pumas!

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:00 am

Mate, it has probably never happened.

But the coincidence has more to do with injuries than anything else.

I don't necessarily think it is a bad thing though.

This pack is hugely mobile, you have 8 players who can all carry ball effectively, you still have some good line out operators in Bekker, Etxebeth, Daniel and Alberts and workrate on defence is solid and there are enough competency for establishing turnover ball.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:46 pm

That is a very handy looking Pumas Team. Great to see Argentina included in a tournament of this magnitude.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:48 pm

Im very surprised by that figure of 50 Caps for Roncero. He seems to have been around forever......

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:51 pm

That just sums up how few games they've been having against top opposition

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:53 pm

Well yeah i guess thats true...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:27 pm

OP updated with bok team.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Chjw131 Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:50 pm

Nice, looks a strong pack. I'm glad Spies isn't featured, and I think Daniel certainly deserves a good shot. Hopefully they won't all be too knackered.

I know we're anticipating the usual Argie game but with Hernandez in there I think they'll have something extra in the locker. As such i'm dissapointed to see Kirchner and Steyn once again, but I suppose it was always a hope beyond hope that we would see some adventure at FH.

What do you think of it Biltong? Will we see Steyn feature all the way through regardless?

Chjw131

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:03 am

Chjw, Spies is injured otherwise Meyer would have selected him.

I am not unhappy under the circumstances, you have to consider that Meyer has little choice at playing Morne Steyn (as much as we hate to admit it), Lambie has been injured a lot during the season and has played little rugby at 10, Grant showed he folds under pressure in the Semi final, Goosen is not ready yet, he only starts playing again in September, Elton Jantjies I am not too convinced about.

The front row and second row is the best we have, the backrow could have at least had Burger, but he is out for the season, We are going to miss JP Pietersen, I think the reason why Mvovo is on right wing is due to his poor positional tactics and I hope they have worked on that.

I don't like Zane Kirchner at all, and would have preferred Lambie there.

The team could have had a stronger backrow, better backline in 10, 14 and 15.

But alas the injuries have taken its toll.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:16 am

Argentina team looks good in my opinion, I hope nobody expects a walkover win. The last time we (and SA for that matter) played them, it was their first game and they were rusty; so it was not a fair reflection.

SA, look relatively average in certain areas compared to NZ and Aus (for reasons you've mentioned Bil).

Arg should recieve at least two thrashings. One in NZ and one from Oz or Sa when their backs are against the wall in the latter half of the tournament.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:27 am

That certainly isn't the worst side Argentina could have come up against. I do think though that they'll tire in the second half and lose by 25 points or so. I'm surprised Imhoff isn't even in the squad. I feel they have gone for bulk selecting Agulla.

Biltong,

I think Kirchner was selected at the back after Lambie had a nightmare game there in the final against the Chiefs where he looker all at sea.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:30 am

Surprised SA still going with Hougaard at 9, I didn't think he was great in the series against England. Pienaar controls much better from 9 and has one of the best passes in world rugby. Granted Hougaard is better at the darts and I'm probably a bit biased as an Ulster fan.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:37 am

Spies injured looks like a blessing in disguise for SA to me. So much potential but hasn't done the business since the 09 3N for me. Hopefully the Sharks players have gotten over the travel.

Very much looking forward to seeing Hernandez play in the 4N. A great talent and it's such a shame Contepomi won't be outside him.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Fishpaste Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:53 am

It looks like injuries are sorting out the Bok selction issues...just waiting for Morne to get an injury.....(only joking folks...kind of)

Mr Fishpaste

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:56 am

Laugh Don't let the Bulls supporters hear you!
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:23 am

Shame that Pietersen is out of the reckoning. What do you think the chances were of a F Steyn and Pietersen centre combination. Frankly I am not a fan of JDV nor Kirchner. I think SA can do better than that. You can understand PDV hanging on to the likes of Matfield and Smit but JDV has been shifted round from 12 to wing to 13 and to me hasn't convinced in any of those positions at test or provincial level. At least to justify selection, let alone the captaincy. Not sure what other takers there are for captain - personally I prefer a captain in the forwards but if you were going to pick someone in the backs Pietersen would be my pick over JDV who seems another conservative vote much like M Steyn. It seems Meyer doesn't want to give up too much of the old guard if possible.

The forwards seem a lot better. No Spies can only be an improvement in my view. They lack experience but they make up for that in form so it'll be interesting to see how they do against a very handy (I was going to say beefy) Argentinian pack.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:35 am

Until Burger returns there are no experienced player in the pack that can be captain, unless you go for a frontrow and they are all a little too maverick for that.

De Villiers has no distribution skill whatsoever, but he is still a solid enough player and needs to be there until the newbies have been tested (hopefully in this year)

Morne is at last chance saloon, if he doesn't fire in the next two tests you should see Meyer at last move elsewhere.

Who I don't know, it should be between Lambie, Goosen and Jantjies.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:54 am

I like Burger as an option for captain. Shame he's out too. Chuck in Juan Smith and Pietersen and those are huge omissions for SA. I feel bad enough having Conrad Smith out.

How long is JP out for, do you know Biltong? I wonder though with Meyer picking him as captain, even if JP was fit, he might well not have played OC. Which is why your captain needs to be an automatic pick and Burger fits that role. JDV is solid, no doubt, but I think his position is under threat because you need to be more than solid. Look at the farce with Smit and Bismark in Smit's last few days. Experience is all well and good but your best players need to be starting matches.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:06 am

Kia from the reports I read JP will not make the Rugby Championship, he fractured a finger similar to what happened to Burger last year, he will be out between 6 to 8 weeks.

And no even if JP was selected I doubt he would have moved to OC. I think Meyer will wait for the AI's and then hopefully try a few youngsters at 13, there areca whole hose of them.

My personal preference at this stage would have been Ludick at 14 with Frans and JP in the midfield.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:11 am

That's really a shame to hear to that. He was looking in imperious form. With Fourie out of the picture as well that spells bad news for the wings who would have liked someone like JP who could free them into space. I'm not a fan of moving in wings to OC but this move made a lot of sense and his Sharks form in that position showed he was not out of his depth in that position. Indeed he seemed to look if not a little better. Hopefully that midfield partnership gets a go in the AI series.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by FerN Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:56 am

Hmm, I am not a Kirchener fan, but Lambie hasn't been playing all that well in my opinion, for a while now. I think Kirchner at FB and Morne at FH is the best we are going to do now.

JP is a big loss to us. I like Mvovo at super rugby level, but I am still sceptical. Hope he proves me wrong. I am a stormer supporter, but JDV at 13 is really not all that great. I think we have a few young players that can be molded in that position now.

That bok side looks a bit light to me, but I can't think of anything to improve it at the moment. But I think we will give any team a decent go with them.

Hopefully we see some Heineke magic

FerN

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:19 am

Very solid Bok side not conviced about Zane Kirchner him aside looks pretty good .

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by FerN Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:40 pm

emack2 wrote:Very solid Bok side not conviced about Zane Kirchner him aside looks pretty good .

Who else would you pick at 15? Would you take the risk and try to play Lambie in form? Gio is not going to play, and frankly I don't see him playing for the boks till the next RWC. I forgot the name of the Cheetahs FB, but he looks promising, but is also untested.

To me Zane is the obvious choice, as is Morne. We can go on about how we think that they are not the best, but they are probably the best we have now.

Our forwards look decent, but I am feeling very uneasy. Maybe it is because of our backrow feels so new. But I know if I look at them individually that they are good enough, it is still bothering me.

Aside from Frans and Bryan, our backline feels a bit substandard to me. JDV has done nothing "wrong", but he still doesn't do it for me. Personally I would want Fourie back. JdJ can sometimes light up Newlands, but he has done little to claim anything and Wynand also don't inspire, well anything - solid on defence (or against England atleast).

We always played conservative direct rugby, but as we can see from S15 the Stormers always landed close to the top with it, but never quite got past the last hurdle. I hope the boks don't end up like that.

FerN

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:07 pm

Fern, you are right, we have little choice in the back line at the moment, Meyer is not going to experiment wildly during this tournament.

Steyn and Kirchner is there for now, but hopefully we will see Lambie and Taute as our future full backs, Goosen and Handre Pollard as our future flyhalves, Paul Jordaan and Jan Serfontein as our future outside centers.

I also agree with you that our backline looks sub standard, from a defensive point of view, I think they aren't that bad, all of them can tackle, it is their attacking nous that worries me.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:16 pm

If you were to look at each of morne steyns last four big matches...three tests vs england and the semi against the crusaders you will find that in each he either played or kicked poorly. Not just average...poorly.

How anyone can say he is the best option based on poor performances is beyond me.

I said at the beginning of the season that morne will continue to be picked despite his limited skill levels and that is proving to be the case. Everyone, including meyer is 'hoping' he comes right.

Simply unbelievable, the guy is hopeless.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by FerN Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:29 pm

Taylorman wrote:If you were to look at each of morne steyns last four big matches...three tests vs england and the semi against the crusaders you will find that in each he either played or kicked poorly. Not just average...poorly.

How anyone can say he is the best option based on poor performances is beyond me.

I said at the beginning of the season that morne will continue to be picked despite his limited skill levels and that is proving to be the case. Everyone, including meyer is 'hoping' he comes right.

Simply unbelievable, the guy is hopeless.

Lambie isn't the Lambie we came to love yet, coming from his injury.

Peter Grant is the only other real alternative to Morne. I am a Stormer supporter and would personally love it. Fact is 3 coaches didn't choose him for the sides, and though I think I might know a bit about rugby, I won't claim I know more than Heineke,PDV or Jake. There must be a reason. Some even blame him for the bluntness of the Stormers attack, though we almost feature an all Bok backline.

Elton Jantjes? He is good at S15 level, but I fear that he is just too small. He is more creative than Morne, and his kicking has been better, but in SA if you are small you are always likely to not make the team. Look at Gio, Brent Russel etc. They only use the small guys when they have to, even if they played beter in S15 or Currie Cup. I have no idea how good his defence is, but it probably isn't that spectacular with the Lions leaking so much.

Goosen? Injured

Michelack? He is a frenchman.

Who else?

Yes Morne played poorly, but what realistic option do we have other than him?

FerN

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:33 pm

Yeah, I don't like Morne at 10, everyone knows that, but the only possibility would have been Lambie, and he needs confidence and form right now.

Meyer said Morne is having his last chance against argentina, I think if Morne keeps playing poorly then Meyer will have no option but to put Lambie at 10, hoepfully he gets some game time in the next two tests before we tackle the big boys.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:47 pm

Shame Goosen is injured. I think he would do well though I think Meyer wouldn't play him just yet even if he were fit. He seems he's giving him a lifeline.

Lambie to me seems a good option to get game time from the bench. He could offer cover for fullback and flyhalf and so free up a space for an exciting wing option or a young centre.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:49 pm

The difference this year is the bok pack won't dominate like it has previously. Id be confident enough to say both the AB and argie pack will match SA. And that means you need a ten that can adapt and scrap it out under pressure, create things out of crumbs. That's why cooper is the type of 10 oz go with.

Steyne is great when the control up front is there. But this pack is not going to provide the platform he needs and oppositions know that. Henry especially will have coached argie to target steyn big time as he is the key to a chance of winning.

Lambie then grant, steyn for me. Just can't help think steyns bok career will end within 6 weeks. And that will be because he shouldn't have been there in the first place.

Its not the player himself, but the requirements of the position given the other factors. He'll fall short at the critical points and will be targeted big time.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:53 pm

Yeah goosen was fantastic earlier. He's got class written all over him. A little slight and a big injury his early is something he'll have to overcome confidence wise. But geez what a player.. Best emerging talent at 10 I've seen for years.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:58 pm

I agree SA pack won't dominate in the Rugby championship, I think they will have to be sharp at the breakdown though and being more mobile should be more effective in multiphase rugby, as long as they keep the intensity up.

We don't have a great backline and players such as Hougaard, Frans, JDV and Habana will have to be special for us to win this thing
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:08 pm

Peter Grant is conservative but must still be better than Morne Steyn did he upset the Selectors or something.At the moment all 3 SH sides have cobbled up midfields.SBW/Nonu on paper in form great,BUT Nonu hasn`t shown much since his return from Japan.They even have`nt had much time to work on it in training and it did`nt really work in the past.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:14 pm

Think you've got it exactly there biltong. SA will do a lot of one ups, multiphase, nothing complex stuff and lambie would be ideal to keep it going forward with little probes here and there, and some up the middle stuff as well, taking the forwards on.

Steyns method of continuing the hit ups is to do short passes around the fringes, never really mixing it up physically himself.

He'll be effective to a point but a lambie type just offers more continuity in the physical side of things.

Morne steyn will need a lot of luck.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:21 pm

emack2 wrote:Peter Grant is conservative but must still be better than Morne Steyn did he upset the Selectors or something.At the moment all 3 SH sides have cobbled up midfields.SBW/Nonu on paper in form great,BUT Nonu hasn`t shown much since his return from Japan.They even have`nt had much time to work on it in training and it did`nt really work in the past.

Agree Alan Nonu is the question mark. He's in an odd position in that he knows he`ll be back at 12 when sbw leaves, conrad smith comes back. But he won't want sbw to overshadow him and leave a parting shot so its interesting how he'll go.

But that backline has real potential to cause absolute havoc with the amount of game breakers in there. If that line clicks it'll be huge.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:40 pm

gone for bulk selecting Agulla

MBTGOG, at under 14 stone I'm not sure Agulla counts as bulk (especially compared to the Boks), he's pretty small and quick with great body positions in the tackle (hence why he bumps people off).

Think you've got it exactly there biltong. SA will do a lot of one ups, multiphase, nothing complex stuff and lambie would be ideal to keep it going forward with little probes here and there, and some up the middle stuff as well, taking the forwards on.

I'd presume they are going for that off the bench. Hernandez has had his injury problems and is a big guy in defence. I would imagine they'll look to have him defend against the big lads for 60 mins and give some time chasing Steyn's kicks then bring on Lambie and see if the younger guy can spot a gap or two to dart through.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:18 pm

I expect like every one else a Bok win,but they need to show they can play for 80minutes.Unlike England they seemed to play in bursts,a forward orientated game would suit the Pumas nicely.They usually have drop kick specialists who will have a go from anywhere.In the match versus Wales in the RWC from the kick off the Boks scored a brilliantly crafted try.Then switched off and tried to defend then suddenly broke out and scored another try.Wales broke my heart with the length of time they took to clear the ball from rucks and pick and go`s.
On several occassions quick balls wide could have bought the decisive break thru.Watching that match it always seemed to me whenever Wales scored the Boks had the means to come back.It was a very brave Wales effort as it could if they had won changed the whole shape of the RWC.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:18 pm

Sorry bilt

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:20 pm

Sorry biltong, you're a good guy but wOuld love to see the pumas get this one.

Agree that lambie would be a better call at 10. Especially since frans steyn has a monster boot

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:37 pm

No worries Pete. I' ll be hoping they get a win over one of the other teams.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:10 am

Well I guess now it is our turn to see whether Meyer can turn us into the promise most would like to believe
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next