The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most significant political move in professional wrestling history....

+7
nasisillmatic
Clunge4life
Mr Video Man
Samo
liverbnz
theundisputedY2D2
Brady12
11 posters

Go down

Most significant political moment....

Most significant political move in professional wrestling history.... Vote_lcap34%Most significant political move in professional wrestling history.... Vote_rcap 34% 
[ 13 ]
Most significant political move in professional wrestling history.... Vote_lcap18%Most significant political move in professional wrestling history.... Vote_rcap 18% 
[ 7 ]
Most significant political move in professional wrestling history.... Vote_lcap11%Most significant political move in professional wrestling history.... Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 4 ]
Most significant political move in professional wrestling history.... Vote_lcap0%Most significant political move in professional wrestling history.... Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Most significant political move in professional wrestling history.... Vote_lcap5%Most significant political move in professional wrestling history.... Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 2 ]
Most significant political move in professional wrestling history.... Vote_lcap3%Most significant political move in professional wrestling history.... Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 1 ]
Most significant political move in professional wrestling history.... Vote_lcap3%Most significant political move in professional wrestling history.... Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 1 ]
Most significant political move in professional wrestling history.... Vote_lcap21%Most significant political move in professional wrestling history.... Vote_rcap 21% 
[ 8 ]
Most significant political move in professional wrestling history.... Vote_lcap5%Most significant political move in professional wrestling history.... Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 38

Most significant political move in professional wrestling history.... Empty Most significant political move in professional wrestling history....

Post by Brady12 Mon 06 Aug 2012, 7:17 pm

Politics plays a massive part in pro wrestling but what move changed the landscape/direction of the business more than anything???

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Most significant political move in professional wrestling history.... Empty Re: Most significant political move in professional wrestling history....

Post by Guest Tue 07 Aug 2012, 3:45 am

I would've said the introduction of the Wellness Policy.

Who knows how many lives that will save in the years to come when wrestlers retire. Look at Edge. Could've easily gone on for a few more years if he was allowed to use steroids. His spinal stenosis could've been treated by epidual steroid injections and oral steroids.

By no means am I saying this forced the issue for Edge to retire and that the WWE did not show consideration and responsibility for their workers, but had Edge had the option of steroid treatment available, then maybe he wouldn't have retired.

Yes it will see top talent lose their jobs or spots in the company in years to come, but the lives it will change for better is im-measurable.

Also this has strengthened the WWE's position as a 'clean' entity that takes care of it's workers and prohibits the use of drugs to it's followers.

Back to top Go down

Most significant political move in professional wrestling history.... Empty Re: Most significant political move in professional wrestling history....

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Tue 07 Aug 2012, 4:23 am

I wouldn't class the Wellness policy as a pro-wrestling political move. Yes, it was a result of political pressure from the US Congress after the Chris Benoit incident but when it comes to pro wrestling, I'd class a political move as a wrestler/s using their influence or currying favour with someone with power to further their own career or derail another wrestler's career.

That's why I voted for Shawn Michaels losing his smile, which was a result of him simply not wanting to drop the WWF title to Bret Hart at Wrestlemania 13. Not only did it deprive us of a potential classic (although we as fans didn't do too badly with the WWF's plan B of Bret Hart v Steve Austin) but it went a long way to hastening the Hitman's departure from the WWF at the end of 1997.

The plan was for Hart to win the title from Michaels at WM 13 then drop the belt back to HBK at a later date, whereby Bret would finally endorse Shawn as champion and take a back seat. If this had happened I don't think things would have escalated as far as they did between the two over the summer, because they wouldn't have been in direct competition any more and HBK would finally have the had the validation of the Hitman that he so desperately wanted.

If things had gone according to plan we might never have had the Montreal Screwjob.

theundisputedY2D2

Location : Down By The Clyde, Near The SECC - You Can't Miss It!

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Tue 07 Aug 2012, 6:23 am

It would have to be McMahon buying up the territories and turning professiional wrestling mainstream with the help of Hulk Hogan. It hard to imagine any of those other things happening without McMahon owning nearly everything, and if they did they would have had much less impact. I think it's fair to say I wouldn't be into wrestling if it wasn't for this particular politcal move - or certainly less likely.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Tue 07 Aug 2012, 6:49 am

liverbnz wrote:It would have to be McMahon buying up the territories and turning professiional wrestling mainstream with the help of Hulk Hogan. It hard to imagine any of those other things happening without McMahon owning nearly everything, and if they did they would have had much less impact. I think it's fair to say I wouldn't be into wrestling if it wasn't for this particular politcal move - or certainly less likely.

Could it not be argued though with the advent on cable television that wrestling had to come out of the territories to survive in the modern world??? If it wasn't McMahon it would probably been another promotor

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Tue 07 Aug 2012, 7:07 am

I voted for McMahon buying the territories. It was a close winner against him buying WCW, but at the end of the day, either the WWF or WCW would have eventually went out of business, and the product would have ended up pretty much what we have today.

Ask any wrestler who was around in the 70's and 80's and they'll all say that McMahon buying the territories was the biggest thing to ever happen. It changed the game completely, and made Vince his fortune.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Tue 07 Aug 2012, 8:50 am

Brady12 wrote:
liverbnz wrote:It would have to be McMahon buying up the territories and turning professiional wrestling mainstream with the help of Hulk Hogan. It hard to imagine any of those other things happening without McMahon owning nearly everything, and if they did they would have had much less impact. I think it's fair to say I wouldn't be into wrestling if it wasn't for this particular politcal move - or certainly less likely.

Could it not be argued though with the advent on cable television that wrestling had to come out of the territories to survive in the modern world??? If it wasn't McMahon it would probably been another promotor

It certainly could be argued as basically it had to happen or wrestling would have probably died a slow and painful death. It would be great to look into that alternate universe to see what wrestling would have been like if say the Harts had of bought up the territories, but unfortunately we can't. McMahon still had to get a few decisions right before WWF came to be the global phenomenon.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Video Man Tue 07 Aug 2012, 10:20 am

vince buys wcw
Mr Video Man
Mr Video Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Tue 07 Aug 2012, 12:17 pm

Surprised no one went for the curtain call... Perhaps the single most definitive moment when Kayfabe was broken. Which led to Scott Hall & Kevin Nash leaving WWF & sparking the brief rise of WCW leading the wrestling industry which inadvertently set off the whole attitude era

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by Clunge4life Wed 08 Aug 2012, 4:09 am

And in regards to the Curtain Call - HHH was supposed to win the KOTR in 96 - however after his part in this his push was given to a certain Steve Austin...and as they say the rest is history

Clunge4life

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Wed 08 Aug 2012, 4:50 am

I think even if HHH would have won the 96 KOTR, Austin still would have got the push he got.

Obviously his Austin 3:16 speech would not have occurred, but Austin did not really take off until his fued with Bret at Survivor Series, which I believe Austin was chosen by Bret as his opponent.

He more than likely would have have went on to win the 97 KOTR.

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Wed 08 Aug 2012, 4:58 am

Can someone explain to me the Shawn Michaels loses his smile thing please? I have no idea what it refers to.

MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Wed 08 Aug 2012, 5:05 am

Electric Demon wrote:Can someone explain to me the Shawn Michaels loses his smile thing please? I have no idea what it refers to.

Really?

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Wed 08 Aug 2012, 5:08 am

nasisillmatic wrote:
Electric Demon wrote:Can someone explain to me the Shawn Michaels loses his smile thing please? I have no idea what it refers to.

Really?

Thanks. Helpful.

Anyone else?

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Wed 08 Aug 2012, 5:11 am

your not the only one demon i dont have a clue either

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Wed 08 Aug 2012, 5:27 am

Basically, he refused to drop the belt to Bret so to stop Vince making him do it he gave the 'lost my smile' speech, basically saying how unhappy he was.

Beer

Location : 'Whose kids are these? And how'd they get in my Lincoln?'

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Wed 08 Aug 2012, 5:28 am

Electric Demon wrote:
nasisillmatic wrote:

Really?

Thanks. Helpful.

Anyone else?

Sorry I thought it was said in jest.

HBK won the title from Sid at the Royal Rumble, and the plan was for him to drop it to Bret at WM13. During the next couple of weeks Shawn claimed he had a knee injury and could not compete so had to drop the title on Raw.

Shawn cut one of the most ridiculous promos I've ever seen, were he said he needed to leave for a while and regain his smile because he has lost it. Thus relinquishing the title so he would not have to drop it at WM13.

He then turns up at WM13 to commentate on the Austin v Bret with no signs of an injury and a big fat smile on his face (he must have found it somewhere).

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Wed 08 Aug 2012, 5:31 am

That's basically it but I'll add my own slant on it....

At WM13 the plans were for Shawn to face Bret in a rematch from the year before with Bret scheduled to go over. Michaels a master politician at the time claimed to have a career ending knee injury thus giving up the title & not having to do the job to Bret. In an episode on Raw it was explained in the storyline that Michaels had 'lost his smile' & was leaving wrestling to try get it back... Hart didn't buy Michaels excuse (Shawn was back in the ring with 4 months) & this only fuelled the bad blood between the men. This was also one of the reasons Bret didn't want to lose in Montreal as Shawn had been unwilling to lose to him

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Wed 08 Aug 2012, 5:44 am

Is this around the time Bret went up to Shawn and said he had no problem putting him over and Shawn responded with "I wouldn't do the same for you" line?

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Wed 08 Aug 2012, 5:45 am

What is ironic regarding the HBK smile incident is that a year later he actually had a career ending injury, yet still went to WM14, battled through the pain and put Austin over.

He really did not want to drop that strap to Bret.

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Wed 08 Aug 2012, 6:07 am

liverbnz wrote:Is this around the time Bret went up to Shawn and said he had no problem putting him over and Shawn responded with "I wouldn't do the same for you" line?

According to Bret this was sometime after Summerslam, around about the time they were told they'd be working together at Survivor Series. Or should that be when they were asked by Vince if they could work together.

nasisillmatic wrote:He really did not want to drop that strap to Bret.

Which is really odd considering that Shawn was scheduled to regain the strap from Bret, and have the Hitman endorse him as champion. HBK goes forward as 'The Man' having seen off the previous 'Man' and Bret fades into the background. If you're Shawn Michaels what's not to love about that situation?

theundisputedY2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Wed 08 Aug 2012, 6:14 am

Vince doesn't sodomise you as much?

Beer

Location : 'Whose kids are these? And how'd they get in my Lincoln?'

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 08 Aug 2012, 6:15 am

That once Bret got the title he might not be able to get it back?

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Wed 08 Aug 2012, 6:16 am

Maybe he didn't trust him to follow through on the deal, Shawn was very paranoid when it came to Bret Hart.

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Wed 08 Aug 2012, 6:19 am

Crimey wrote:That once Bret got the title he might not be able to get it back?

But this is Shawn Michaels we're talking about, Vince's one true love and golden boy. There's no way in hell Shawn wouldn't have got the belt back.

theundisputedY2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Wed 08 Aug 2012, 6:19 am

nasisillmatic wrote:Maybe he didn't trust him to follow through on the deal, Shawn was very paranoid when it came to Bret Hart.

Very Happy

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Wed 08 Aug 2012, 6:23 am

I think Shawn's bitterness towards Bret would not allow for him to lay down and do a job.

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 08 Aug 2012, 8:07 am

If it wasn'd bad enough that Shawn was screwing Sunny who Bret had left his wife for, he also had the Montreal Screwjob.

How Bret ever forgave him is beyond me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Wed 08 Aug 2012, 2:58 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:If it wasn'd bad enough that Shawn was screwing Sunny who Bret had left his wife for, he also had the Montreal Screwjob.

Is this true.... I thought Shawn was seeing Sunny & Bret just nailed Sunny because Sunny actually prefered Hart

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 09 Aug 2012, 2:52 am

Brady12 wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:If it wasn'd bad enough that Shawn was screwing Sunny who Bret had left his wife for, he also had the Montreal Screwjob.

Is this true.... I thought Shawn was seeing Sunny & Bret just nailed Sunny because Sunny actually prefered Hart

It is. Shawn in his book said he lost respect for Hart when he was banging her while still with the wife. Sunny then got herself a bit of HBK not long after Bret leaving Mrs Hart.

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Thu 09 Aug 2012, 4:58 am

I knew they both banged her, but I didn't know Bret left his wife for Sunny.

It would be interesting to know the timeline of all this, and whether it occured in the weeks Shawn lost his smile.

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Thu 09 Aug 2012, 4:59 am

Sunny sounds like class.

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Thu 09 Aug 2012, 5:03 am

She set the standards for the modern Divas.

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Thu 09 Aug 2012, 5:10 am

To b fair, it seemed like Bret was banging a different woman in every town he was in. He was very honest about it in his book but it must have been very hard reading for his then wife Julie.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 09 Aug 2012, 5:11 am

Well Sunny's music was on the money "I know you want me'

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Thu 09 Aug 2012, 5:17 am

He must have went back to his wife because she was with him the night of Survivor Series.

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Thu 09 Aug 2012, 5:22 am

According to wiki, they didn't seperate until May 1998, divorcing 4 years later.

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bret_Hart]

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Thu 09 Aug 2012, 6:15 am

Bret didn't leave his wife for Sunny, there are strong rumours that they were having an affair but nothing concrete. Sunny's recently done a shoot interview where she supposedly addresses the rumours about her and Bret / Shawn but I haven't seen it so no idea what she says about the whole thing.

Bret doesn't mention having an affair with Sunny in his book (although he admits to having numerous affairs) and Shawn even says in his book that the "Sunny days" comment (which lead to the infamous backstage fight between the two in Hartford) he made about Bret was exposing what he believed to be the affair between Bret and Sunny.

theundisputedY2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down